• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox teasing new controller?

Duxxy3

A console revision can't be too far around the corner. The transforming d-pad came out the same year as the slim.

Zomba13

Looks more like just an innocent ad to me.

Same. But if they do make a new controller then this is a good time to tease it and unveil it at E3.

Though why? They hyped up the billions of changes to the ergonomics and how this was the best controller ever made ever. It's a fine pad. Better than the 360s in every aspect but the bumpers (and the glowy Xbox button can be distracting like the DS4 light bar).

Thought I guess adding a standard headphone jack and letting audio come through the controller would be good. I love that about the Wii U and PS4 as I use headphones when gaming when when I plug it into my TV I get a subtle hissing ever since getting some really nice headphones.

I would have though it was just an E3 advert personally.

Edit: Just seen the above link. If that's the only revision I think I'll give it a miss until my current one breaks.

Yeah the micro usb port is pure shit. Very frail,after awhile its hard to keep a charge for the batteries or even keep a steady signal when plugged into the PC. Had to buy a new X360 pad last night because I know what'll happen if I use the X1 pad too much with my PC for Witcher3.... The micro usb port is prone to going bad if you plug and play too much with it. Hope they fix this.

Arklite

Same. But if they do make a new controller then this is a good time to tease it and unveil it at E3.

Though why? They hyped up the billions of changes to the ergonomics and how this was the best controller ever made ever. It's a fine pad..

It's solid, but oddly limited in scope. No share buttons and botched headset support were both surprisingly backwards for the new platform.

FordGTGuy

Banned
It's solid, but oddly limited in scope. No share buttons and botched headset support were both surprisingly backwards for the new platform.

Both consoles had botched headset support at launch.

Every headset comes with an adapter and an adapter allows you to use pretty much any headset on the Xbox One.

Calling a controller with on-board firmware that can be updated, "limited in scope", is kind of stretching the term.

Not to mention it's ability to be used as a wired controller absent of any batteries.

100% PC support with all xbox 360 controller supported games.

Arklite

Both consoles had botched headset support at launch.

Every headset comes with an adapter and an adapter allows you to use pretty much any headset on the Xbox One.

Calling a controller with on-board firmware that can be updated, "limited in scope", is kind of stretching the term.

I don't remember any issues with the PS4's headsets, and software isn't going to fix a hardware issue. MSoft revising the pad says it all, not that the DS4 doesn't need tweaking, battery most of all.

Bgamer90

Banned
I could see them adding buttons for taking screenshots and video clips. They can also improve on the d-pad, which is better than the 360's, but still not great for fighting games imo.

Yeah. I think...

*Snapshot button
*Video recording button
*Headphone jack
*Improved buttons (d-pad, bumpers, face)
*Built in microphone for voice controls without kinect

...would all be good additions.

FordGTGuy

Banned
I don't remember any issues with the PS4's headsets, and software isn't going to fix a hardware issue. MSoft revising the pad says it all, not that the DS4 doesn't need tweaking.

Nothing is perfect but saying that the DS4 didn't have issues with headsets at launch is pretty funny.

jem0208

If they are making a revised version beyond just adding a headphone jack they better not touch those sticks.

The sticks are GOAT.

Really like the bone controller as is. If they are gonna enhance it tweak the bumpers and stiff up the sticks. After them 2 fixes it will be perfect. Really hop[e they don't mess with the batteries. I'd hate an internal battery. So easy to just have one charger and a pile of eneloops

And of course a wireless dongle for PC

USC-fan

Banned
Good change for standard headphone jack. Hope thats not the only change.

Nothing is perfect but saying that the DS4 didn't have issues with headsets at launch is pretty funny.
DS4 didnt have issues but the ps4 did have problems with old ps3 Bluetooth headsets.

Ds4 just uses standard jack....

I dislike how loose the Xbox One's sticks feel, but perhaps that's something I could get used to. I preferred the higher level of resistance of the S and 360 controllers. Hopefully they tighten them up in the revision.

sector4

That's what I'm alluding to, I'm saying both the DS4 and Xbox One should adopt built in audio buttons on the actual controllers.
Right right right, I'm with you now and I agree, both totally should!
To be honest I never really paid attention to the different sizes. :p It may be a 2.5 indeed, since it's a "small" one (*edit : and after reading the description page linked above, the unit seems to be mm ;) ). In that case I wonder if 2.5 isn't better than 3.5, since most people have such headsets for their phones and tablets already, if I'm not mistaken.
Anyway, whatever the size, it's still a more common format than whatever they were using on the current controller, so that's an improvement.
Woops! My bad, mm not inches, it's 3.5mm, and the 360 controller had a 2.5mm jack.

3.5mm is the standard and 2.5mm is a smaller version of that, so everyone's earpods, and regular headphones would fit a 3.5mm jack like they're adding to the XB1 controller, not a 2.5mm jack as the 360 controller had.

Duxxy3

I dislike how loose the Xbox One's sticks feel, but perhaps that's something I could get used to. I preferred the higher level of resistance of the S and 360 controllers. Hopefully they tighten them up in the revision.

Part of why the sticks feel like they have so little resistance is because of the stick height. Put the xbox one sticks on a dualshock 4 and the resistance goes goodbye. If microsoft cuts down the height of the stick a bit you'll get roughly the same resistance as a dualshock 4.

And also a perfect replacement for the dualshock 4 thumb stick.

Copen

Banned
Because you're not a modern controller until you take away options from gamers.

It's not that bad, once you double tap it saves and Y is basically "are you sure?".

What good is the X1 controller being fully charged if it's constantly having to be re paired to the system? Streamlining the X1 controller with an internal battery or since you like options how about one with an internal battery and one without? You speak of options yet discount others opinion of wanting an internal battery shouldn't that option be taken into consideration?

FordGTGuy

Banned
They need console revision as well.

I like the Xbox One console design. D:

Only thing I would change is to just make it smaller but leave the overall design alone.

What good is the X1 controller being fully charged if it's constantly having to be re paired to the system? Streamlining the X1 controller with an internal battery or since you like options how about one with an internal battery and one without? You speak of options yet discount others opinion of wanting an internal battery shouldn't that option be taken into consideration?

Constantly having to be re-paired?

You're going to have to explain that one to me.

Streamlining the Xbox One controller?

cwp39ZR.jpg

How do you streamline what is already streamlined?

You can buy an internal battery right now and put it in any Xbox One controller.

I'm discounting the idea because it's honestly just a terrible idea in the face of the current offering.

tuna_love

Banned
What do you mean re paired?

Cajun

Neo Member
I seriously can't wait for that 3.5mm jack now. I'll actually be able to use my headset without an adapter. I am saved.

(For a while I wore the X1 mic under my A40s...it's probably worse than you'd imagine)

FordGTGuy

Banned
I seriously can't wait for that 3.5mm jack now. I'll actually be able to use my headset without an adapter. I am saved.

(For a while I wore the X1 mic under my A40s...it's probably worse than you'd imagine)

Just to clarify, if you don't have a headset with volume/mute buttons on the headset itself you will lose those features without the adapter.

glaurung

Fixing the bumpers has to be a thing for this "update".

Oh, and as for the Cheetos dust on the controller... I threw up a bit in my mouth at that thought.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They're letting us know they might release a new exclusive game soon, so we'll need to dust off our controllers.

If they build in the stereo headset adapter that would be a good start - crazy I can't just plug in normal headphones or a chat headset without paying extra. And fix the horrible bumpers. I'd also like a dedicated power off button that works by IR, even when the controller is turned off. Voice for that command is unreliable for me, and when I've been watching Netflix etc, it is annoying to have to press the xbox button and wait for the controller to sync up before I can turn the xbox off.. But that probably won't happen :)

FordGTGuy

Banned
They're letting us know they might release a new exclusive game soon, so we'll need to dust off our controllers.

If they build in the stereo headset adapter that would be a good start - crazy I can't just plug in normal headphones or a chat headset without paying extra. And fix the horrible bumpers. I'd also like a dedicated power off button that works by IR, even when the controller is turned off. Voice for that command is unreliable for me, and when I've been watching Netflix etc, it is annoying to have to press the xbox button and wait for the controller to sync up before I can turn the xbox off.. But that probably won't happen :)

It takes like a second for the controller to sync now....

Rootbeer

Banned
I hope the "After June 2015 version" is also designed with Windows 10 in mind. Make it the official Windows 10 gamepad, just like the 360 gamepad had been for earlier versions of Windows.

Oh, I'm hoping for some news at E3. Please. I just can't have the clunky piece of... bad design in my living room.

I think it's a good design for a console. Better then the toy look the PS4 has going for it. But to each their own.

I do hope a revision would mean a less noisy powerbrick. Mine sounds like a laptop trying to run Photoshop without enough power to do it when the Xbox is turned off.

Bgamer90

Banned
Oh, I'm hoping for some news at E3. Please. I just can't have the clunky piece of... bad design in my living room.

I agree that it's big but I really don't think it looks out of place in a living room.

It looks similar to a cable or satellite box and isn't bigger than A/V receivers.

I hope the "After June 2015 version" is also designed with Windows 10 in mind. Make it the official Windows 10 gamepad, just like the 360 gamepad had been for earlier versions of Windows.

What would you like for the new ones to do differently than the existing controllers? The drivers are included with the OS now, all controllers can be wired and they're coming out with a wireless adapter as well.

It would be nice if PC audio worked through the controller and if the Xbox button on the controller brought up the new game bar in Windows 10, but I don't think there's anything really hardware wise they would need to do. The internals of the controller is already so much better than the 360 controller overall. It's replaced my 360 controller on my PC already.

Top Bottom