• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox to stay out the VR space, believe software will scale better but applauds Sony, Oculus, Valve

GHG

Gold Member
And you'll hate whatever they do. I have no problem giving credit where it is due. MS shouldn't be worried about VR and sales numbers prove it.

This is how I know you are not on this discussion board to actually talk about games, if you did then you'd know that's factually not true.

It begs the question, are you here as a hobbyist or are you here for work?

Take this for example:

At the end of this generation we can see which direction has the greater market penetration, Game Pass or VR. I'm ok with MS' focus right now.

Gamepass or no gamepass you'll still get access to the same games. On the other hand with the omission of VR on Xbox consoles you will guarantee that you won't get access to any VR games.

Microsoft's bottom line vs access to a more diverse suite of games (which includes experiences that can't be replicated in any other way) and you've chosen in favour of Microsoft's bottom line. That's mighty unfortunate, would hate to be you.

Gamepass or no gamepass you'll still get access to the same games. On the other hand with the omission of VR on Xbox consoles you will guarantee that you won't get access to any VR games.

Microsoft's bottom line vs access to a more diverse suite of games (which includes experiences that can't be replicated in any other way) and you've chosen in favour of Microsoft's bottom line. That's mighty unfortunate, would hate to be you.
I mean, I'd take Gamepass over VR on Xbox any day. You only get access to the same games if you're fine blowing hundreds of dollars a month to buy them all. I'm playing more games on Gamepass than ever before, and saving money while doing it. I didn't buy PSVR and wasn't interested in it for the price.

It's about my bottom line lol, not MS's.

GHG

Gold Member
I mean, I'd take Gamepass over VR on Xbox any day. You only get access to the same games if you're fine blowing hundreds of dollars a month to buy them all. I'm playing more games on Gamepass than ever before, and saving money while doing it. I didn't buy PSVR and wasn't interested in it for the price.

The difference is you're talking about it from the perspective of what you gain from that decision (which cannot be argued against, that comes down to personal use habits and preferences) whereas he's only talking about what Microsoft gain from the decision. You're talking about your wallet and the stuff you get to play whereas he's talking about fucking market penetration.

In an ideal world there needn't be a choice, they could provide people with gamepass while also providing the option of VR games via making WMR headsets compatible with the console.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
This is how I know you are not on this discussion board to actually talk about games, if you did then you'd know that's factually not true.

Take this for example:

Gamers not wanting access to a medium like VR doesn't make much sense to me.

Having options are good.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Sony are doing a wireless version of the headset right? That's why they put WiFi 6 in the ps5?

I'm a big fan of VR, own ps vr, rift s and a quest. Looking forward to ps vr 2.

Everyone should experience half life Alyx.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

Sony are doing a wireless version of the headset right? That's why they put WiFi 6 in the ps5?
It's been confirmed to be plugged into PS5 by a single wire, but they have not discarded they could release a wireless adaptor or a wireless headset afterwards.

phil_t98

#SonyToo

Having options are good.

whilst VR could be good there is no point to jump in just yet. Most of the software is expieirences rather than full games. I have PSVR and love it but there isn’t enough. Essential must have games on there. Xbox should wait in my opinin

MacReady13

Aren't there more Oculus Quest 2's out there in consumers hands (heads) than there are Series X/S? Or do Microsoft only want to recognize amount of hours played on games and not acknowledge their console sales anymore?

I bought PSVR and the First Oculus Quest. Both were fun and a good show off of the possibility.

They both are gathering dust I am awaiting the next wireless headset that is not just a mobile phone processor.

Until then I won't be buying amything else.

Loope

Why enter in the market spending little money, when you can buy a big vr company burning a shitload of cash. That's Microsoft in un nutshell.
Billy Crystal Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Romulus

Aren't there more Oculus Quest 2's out there in consumers hands (heads) than there are Series X/S? Or do Microsoft only want to recognize amount of hours played on games and not acknowledge their console sales anymore?

I think there could be 3x the amount of Quest 2's vs Xbox's sold in the same timeframe and most gamers here wouldn't even recognize it, they would probably pass it off as dying still.

SpokkX

Of course you can game for more than two hours before the battery takes a crap. Yeah, I know you can do the external battery thing…

I have a Quest 2 and had a Sony headset too. I liked it. The headset was very comfortable and had a pretty decent library. THe controls were very lacking though And of course the screen was not the quality of the Quest 2 of course.

Has Sony 100% confirmed wired?
Yes psvr2 is wired sadly

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

100% agree here and maybe it's best for MS to do it this way. If their heart isn't in it, then don't do it.

Yep. Why not wait till the tech is a bit better and developers are more experienced with how VR works etc
Im looking forward to the future Nintendo VR games. Mario Kart, Pokemon Snap, Zelda, Mario or even games like Fire Emblem, warioware etc.
Id love a Mother/Earthbound game in VR

Last edited:
Oh absolutely. If I had to choose gamepass or VR, I would choose gamepass for MS every time. But choosing one or the other? They could jump on board as VR continues to exceed later.
Its safer for MS to just rebuild at this point anyway, they're barely doing console gaming right up until the past year or so, no sense jumping on VR until they climb back up the mountain.
After an entire generation of VR on the PlayStation 4, the biggest console, last generation and PC before that it didn't really move the VR needle too much. It appears just a niche as it always was. Perhaps one day it will reach a mass market adoption I'm thinking when the holodeck comes out, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Take this for example:

You talk about me but do you actually even have an Xbox to 'concerned' about VR over? I am speaking about a platform I own and support you are here to attack people who don't follow whatever Sony is doing. You jump into a VR conversation to talk about me instead of actually presenting a reasoned point of view on why MS should suddenly jump into a niche market when they have already had failures doing gimmicks previously.

MS already has a wider assortment of first party titles and more first studios than any of the other platform holder. Just because you don't like MS doesn't mean they should start something that will take focus away from the core gaming market especially since it is way larger. I'd figure a big Sony guy such as yourself would appreciate sales right? What percentage of the total PS audience bought PS VR?

With regards to MS' bottom line they already are offering better value than any other console maker. I've saved tons not having to repurchase games I bought generations ago. It's also nice not having to shell out $70 for new releases too. Seems like MS is doing a good job looking out for MY bottom line and that's what I care about the most. I do hope Sony's sends you the first VR for PS5 though, you've earned it.

Romulus

After an entire generation of VR on the PlayStation 4, the biggest console, last generation and PC before that it didn't really move the VR needle too much. It appears just a niche as it always was. Perhaps one day it will reach a mass market adoption I'm thinking when the holodeck comes out, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Quest 2 has already sold 10 million in year, probably exceeding or at least close to any Xbox console in its first year. PSVR1 is being some "needle" is a terrible argument for all of VR. The tech was shit day 1.
All it took was a decent headset and good price and Quest 2 did what most thoughts was impossible, it eclipsed most consoles in its first year. It's not going to stop. PSVR was previously the most successful unit in VR, and it did 5 million in four years. Quest 2 hit 10 million in 1 year, literally the opposite of what you're trying to say. I think sony announced PSVR did just over a 1 million in the first year, so 1000% increase? lol

Last edited:

Goalus

"VR on Xbox consoles"
Having to attach VR glasses to a stationary device in order for them to function at all is just an incredibly stupid concept, and MS understand that. It might have been necessary five years ago, but we're almost in 2022 now.

I certainly do not want "VR on Xbox consoles", I want glasses that can work on their own.

Why would you need to choose between the two? Microsoft is a 2 trillion dollar company and when ti comes to major acquisitions and 3rd party gamepass deals, everyone acts like its pennies.

When people question if gamepass is sustainable, gamepass cult mocks it and acts like satya isn’t wiping his ass with billion dollar bills every morning.

So why is it now everyone is suddenly worried about whether or not microsoft will lose money on something that can only benefit them and add to the games they play?

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned

Having options are good.
Sure options are good. Will this give Sony an advantage? Yep it will. I don’t know MS but maybe they feel they need to focus on core games at this point before getting into more niche offerings. That’s just a guess though.
If it was MS I would try to support valve and other headsets through third party developers on Xbox and pc.

Conjecture here but with Windows being at the forefront of VR support, perhaps their long term goal is to get unified device support for VR whenever the Series consoles are updated to Windows CoreOS. Being able to use any headset (tethered or not) would allow them to jump into the fray on the console space with other manufacturers doing the headsets. Think DirectX but for VR. As long as you adhere to a standard, your unit would work

Personally owned a GearVR and PSVR, the tech is neat but not ready for prime time yet (IMO). Looking forward to PSVR2, hoping Sony knock it out of the park so I can enjoy the same on both ecosystems.

Quest 2 has already sold 10 million in year, probably exceeding or at least close to any Xbox console in its first year. PSVR1 is being some "needle" is a terrible argument for all of VR. The tech was shit day 1.
All it took was a decent headset and good price and Quest 2 did what most thoughts was impossible, it eclipsed most consoles in its first year. It's not going to stop. PSVR was previously the most successful unit in VR, and it did 5 million in four years. Quest 2 hit 10 million in 1 year, literally the opposite of what you're trying to say. I think sony announced PSVR did just over a 1 million in the first year, so 1000% increase? lol
What console does Quest require to run? Quest's biggest benefit is that it isn't tied to a console the way a console or even a PC VR system will have to. 5 million PSVR sales for 100+ million consoles sold? Sounds like the definition of niche to me. You might think that's impressive but I'm thinking MS doesn't see that as a reason to dedicate development resources towards it.

The tech is cool but there is no evidence that it's a good avenue for MS to pursue on Xbox. When an inexpensive wireless headset technology is developed maybe it will be pack in with the console. At least at that point there would be no fragmentation of the install base.

93xfan

Banned
What is worse than VR headset requiring FB? One requiring any kind of MS account.

I was thinking Sony or Nintendo, due to their greed as of late. Or maybe even their worse stances on BC. But everyone has a different opinion.

And whether a gamer or just a normal human, how could you root for FB? Have you not paid attention to them lately in the media?

Romulus

What console does Quest require to run? Quest's biggest benefit is that it isn't tied to a console the way a console or even a PC VR system will have to. 5 million PSVR sales for 100+ million consoles sold? Sounds like the definition of niche to me. You might think that's impressive but I'm thinking MS doesn't see that as a reason to dedicate development resources towards it.

The tech is cool but there is no evidence that it's a good avenue for MS to pursue on Xbox. When an inexpensive wireless headset technology is developed maybe it will be pack in with the console. At least at that point there would be no fragmentation of the install base.

I didn't say PSVR1 was impressive. I'm proving to you that VR tech can be very successful if done right and it's already moved out of the niche category with Quest 2. Basically, over half the consoles ever made were niches then if Quest 2 is, looking at its numbers.
PSVR1 was expensive and bad tech on day 1, so it makes sense why it didn't sell well. No expensive gaming device with terrible technology will sell well(PS3 maybe). Quest 2 is standalone but being standalone is not an automatic recipe for success. Quest 1 was standalone and is a direct comparison to Quest 2 and the sales numbers aren't remotely close. Again, proving the market is surging.

MacReady13

So why is it now everyone is suddenly worried about whether or not microsoft will lose money on something that can only benefit them and add to the games they play?

Spot on bloke. It’s funny how when people like myself bring up how it’s impossible for Microsoft to currently make any money off Gamepass I get told they can stand to lose as they will make money in the end and who cares if Microsoft make money or not? But mention VR and all of a sudden losses in revenue matter!

mckmas8808

Banned
Yep. Why not wait till the tech is a bit better and developers are more experienced with how VR works etc
Im looking forward to the future Nintendo VR games. Mario Kart, Pokemon Snap, Zelda, Mario or even games like Fire Emblem, warioware etc.
Id love a Mother/Earthbound game in VR

The answer would be because then your competitors would have a 10-15 year software and knowledge advance on you. But I think this area of gaming is something that MS doesn't mind being late or behind on.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Having options are good.
TIL having options are bad in this thread, but good in the QR one.

Brand wars... amirite? I will just wait for Phil to tell me what I am supposed to like, because 2-3 years ago we were all supposed to like VR on the One X when they PR'ed it as a selling point pre-release, but now we are not supposed to.

Help me Phil, please!

Last edited:
Top Bottom