Xbox UI coming to Windows 10. Could we have Xbox PC Consoles?

I know, what I'm saying is those Steam features would still be built in to the underlying Win32 Steam application and games.

The Steam UWP app would simply be a front end, which lets you load a shortcut to a Win32 application installed on your PC and load the underlying Win32 Steam bootstrapper as well.
Nope, if you want to access S Mode, Polaris and in the near future Xbox UI on Windows 10, it'll need UWP and Microsoft Store policy doesn't allow shortcuts to other programs/games since that'll open up malware.

Last edited:
So this Xbox UI is it really coming to PC along with the Xbox OS with it's API and everything.
So for example would we be able to play Kingdom Hearts 3(an Xbox One/PS4 game) on our PCs through the XBox UI
Also when is this Xbox OS coming to PC

Last edited:

Jagz

Neo Member
Nope, if you want to access S Mode, Polaris and in the near future Xbox UI on Windows 10, it'll need UWP and Microsoft Store policy doesn't allow shortcuts to other programs/games since that'll open up malware.
Right, but the idea I'm presenting is an OS that still has the ability to run Win32 apps, but the top end is all built on UWP. As for malware, that wouldn't apply to games you download through Steam, so Microsoft could make an exception there for Steam.

Right, but the idea I'm presenting is an OS that still has the ability to run Win32 apps, but the top end is all built on UWP. As for malware, that wouldn't apply to games you download through Steam, so Microsoft could make an exception there for Steam.
Microsoft will never do that. Microsoft can only get the Steam app itself as an exception, however you can't do that for all Steam games.

The closet thing to what you're saying is S Mode, which has native Win32 and not virtualised Centennial Win32. But even then I don't think Microsoft will allow Win32 apps to appear on the Xbox UI.

Jagz

Neo Member
Well, that's the point of my comments; I'm stating what I think Microsoft should do and exceptions they should make, not whether they are going to or not.

A TV-friendly version of Windows, that's compatible with all Windows software and completely navigable with a gamepad, would benefit products like HTPC's, Intel's upcoming gaming NUC's and Steam Machines.

As long as this UI doesn't replace actual windows 10 functionality, I don't see the big deal. If anything, this is the first step in merging the ecosystems so whatever replaces the Xbox is in reality a Windows 10 machine that can run Steam, Office, etc.

Personally I enjoy being able to play my games on the couch. The idea of mouse and keyboard for consoles will completely defeat the purpose of having a console in my opinion.

Jagz

Neo Member
Personally I enjoy being able to play my games on the couch. The idea of mouse and keyboard for consoles will completely defeat the purpose of having a console in my opinion.
Most PC games nowadays, aside from RTS and a few other genres, support gamepad almost by default, so you would still be playing them with a gamepad on the couch, etc.

The important question is - if we will be able to playXbox One licenses on PC, would they support keyboard and mouse?
Keyboard and mouse control is already supported in a number of XBOX Play Anywhere titles that are currently available, so that's already a reality.