• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox UI coming to Windows 10. Could we have Xbox PC Consoles?

12Dannu123

Microsoft’s future of Windows is clever modes for clever hardware

Understanding Windows Core OS

"Microsoft’s Windows vision includes the idea of a gaming mode for playing games with an Xbox controller,"

Windows CShell – With the same kernel, a flexible core, and unified app platform, the last piece is the shell – or UI – that itself adapts to the screen. Taking the idea of Continuum to the OS level, CShell lets devices adjust their UIs for different tasks and experiences. A device running full Windows 10 for the desktop would be able to take on a Windows 10 Mobile UI to run in phone-mode, for example. Or, a Windows 10 PC could take on the Xbox UI when in gaming mode.

This means that we will see an Xbox UI come to Windows 10. This means that we will be able launch Xbox games through this UI. This also does mean that we will see third party Xbox PC consoles, note though that the OEM decides if it wants to use native Win32 support or not, an OEM can create an Xbox PC Console with S Mode enabled which has Native Win32 compatibility and can be switched to normal Windows 10 or it can be based on Polaris which has no native Win32 and is based on just UWP (Which Xbox will fully use in the future)

Now how does this impact Xbox Consoles?

Interestingly this does lead to another phase for Xbox as a piece of hardware. Since this will apply to all MS's OSes. We will likely see a Mouse and Keyboard UI come to Xbox devices. This means in the future we could see future Xbox hardware come with a controller AND a Mouse and keyboard.

This combined with UWP, Composable Shell and Windows Core OS. It does seem like Xbox consoles will become essentially a Windows 10 Polaris-like PC with an Xbox UI. This could have a major impact on Steam since Valve will now have to fully compete with Xbox since the Xbox OS is now part of Windows 10 proper, especially since in the future, Any UWP game released on the Microsoft Store on PC could automatically work on Xbox Consoles and vice versa. So basically Xbox Play Anywhere for all future Xbox games.

https://tech4gamers.com/microsoft-xbox-one-user-interface-in-windows-10/

Last edited:

Alx

Woah that's a big move. Not exactly groundbreaking (it's basically the Steambox concept, right ?), but still potentially interesting for the landscape of gaming.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
As a PC and Xbox One-player this is a very welcome feature. I have invested alot in the Xbox brand over the years, and being able to maybe play those games later on on my PC would be great.

Exell

Neo Member
I dare say I would be interested to see this sort of thing happen, not like we have not been here before though If you look back far enough to the tax dodge of the PS2 and Sega Dreamcast attempting to pose as Computers instead as consoles to avoid taxes. but there is nothing to say that further development into consoles allowing them to become a bolt-on PC could allow kids to do "homework" *coughs* and also play games, it could open the market to customisable rigs where the primary motherboards could be all the same but have better cooling mods, case mods and accessories and open the modding side of consoles to a more official stance without changing the true grit of the hardware.
Bringing the consoles one step closer to the master race :)

12Dannu123

Woah that's a big move. Not exactly groundbreaking (it's basically the Steambox concept, right ?), but still potentially interesting for the landscape of gaming.

I think this is a big and groundbreaking move. This means that Xbox Consoles/Microsoft Store will now be fully competing with Steam and every Store on PC and since Xbox Consoles hold big influence over the gaming industry, it means that games that are released on Xbox will feed into MS Store on PC.

eme

Does this imply that the Xbox Marketplace is now legacy?

I should expect to keep all my purchases for future "Xbox" machines?

12Dannu123

Does this imply that the Xbox Marketplace is now legacy?

I should expect to keep all my purchases for future "Xbox" machines?

Current Xbox games will work on Xbox hardware, however OEM Consoles will only support UWP since that is based the PC side of things.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Now we only need a good Store on PC. It works, I can download my games, but the store feels ancient compared to Steam and even Origin.

VAL0R

Banned
Wow. So Xbox everywhere, Game Pass everywhere. This feeds right into the "Xbox streaming on web browser" rumors, doesn't it?

Blam

Wow. So Xbox everywhere, Game Pass everywhere. This feeds right into the "Xbox streaming on web browser" rumors, doesn't it?
Xbox is really a service/Product and less a console now then ever. Seriously if microsoft keeps this up this can be huge. And really I wanna see how far this can go. I'd love to see Window10/Xbox PC's.

Housh

A lot of Xbox exclusives are on Windows 10 anyways that they might as well do this. I would love to get Gamepass on my PC without owning a X1 and Gold.

BigBooper

I think it's a good idea. I just don't have faith that the Windows team can actually integrate it well. The Win10 settings menus are still very obtuse, though they have improved since Win8.

Codes 208

Hopefully this will make all the "its on pc too" arguments moot. Of course its on pc, its a play anywhere title. Xbox will just be a cheaper alternative to buying a full-fledged pc.

shpankey

not an idiot
Might as well go all the way with it... probably what they had planned as their end game from early on. Can't say I would be surprised. I do think it will be a good thing, though.

bitbydeath

Might as well go all the way with it... probably what they had planned as their end game from early on. Can't say I would be surprised. I do think it will be a good thing, though.

Seems very likely they will, no point spending millions on R&D if 3rd parties will now produce it all at no cost to MS.

The money has always been in the banana stand software.

12Dannu123

so this will be a cheaper PC? could be interesting I guess...

Pretty much. Xbox will likely become basically a locked down Windows 10 S PC with an Controller UI, accessible at a cheap price. OEMs will have the high end side of things with Gaming desktops, Laptops and PC Consoles.

Last edited:
As long as the user can opt out of S-mode I'm all for this. We need less barriers for entry for PC gaming and having Little Timmy's mom see a box on a store shelf instead of a stack of silicon is really going to help entry level.

12Dannu123

As long as the user can opt out of S-mode I'm all for this. We need less barriers for entry for PC gaming and having Little Timmy's mom see a box on a store shelf instead of a stack of silicon is really going to help entry level.

Any PC with S Mode can be opted out, however a PC or Console with something like Polaris cannot. In the future it's expected that a majority of PCs will come with S Mode enabled, which isn't really a big deal for a majority of people.

Blam

No because that's a pre UWP game. While It can be done via Streaming, but it won't be native unless it's converted into UWP.
Actually this is beyond wrong. UWP was a thing since the beginning of the Xbox One OS. Their format hasn't changed. Still the same double encrypted systems it always was. It's native to UWP always has been. Also MCC is a UWP Game, so is the emulator Xbox is using with the Xbox One.

Gone

Banned
Actually this is beyond wrong. UWP was a thing since the beginning of the Xbox One OS. Their format hasn't changed. Still the same double encrypted systems it always was. It's native to UWP always has been. Also MCC is a UWP Game, so is the emulator Xbox is using with the Xbox One.
What he said.

12Dannu123

UWP on Xbox One was just recent. It came out with the release of Xbox Creators Program, now those games can run at almost full power of the XB1.

Blam

UWP on Xbox One was just recent. It came out with the release of Xbox Creators Program, now those games can run at almost full power of the XB1.
Public use sure, and UWP apps are literally built the same then on 8.1 to 10 Xbox One OG to Now. It's barely changed it's more like an updated version but not different.

Source: Someone who worked in the scene showed me a lot of the inner workings of the Xbox. Very much not how it's being pranced around.

Last edited:

dcx4610

I really thought the Xbox One X was just going to be a PC running Windows 10 and an Xbox UI app. It wasn't but if they do make another Xbox, it looks like they'll go that route.

I think it's smart for Microsoft to head that direction. You get Windows 10 and more PCs (even in the guise of a console).

One thing I thought they should do is release a USB external Xbox Blu-ray drive for PC. For people that want physical media, they could then buy discs and use them on their PC with the Xbox UI.

I disagree, Tom Warren and Windows Central are very reliable sources along with Brad Sams and Mary Jo Foley. They all confirmed this.

I'm not doubting them as sources... I just don't believe they are actually saying that it's coming... they give it as an example, not outright claiming it's coming.

Does it mean we will finally see Halo 3 onward playable on PC?
Hopefully so.

Halo isn't the blockbuster it used to be, but it still holds a very special place in my heart. I keep an Xbox around just for that occasional Halo itch. Having the MCC and later titles upgraded to be future-proof on pc would be fantastic.

I'd buy everything back again full price no questions asked.

Jagz

I think what we need is a "Windows TV", a cut down version of Windows 10, which runs both UWP and Win32 applications.

It would essentially be Windows 10, but with an XBOX One interface, completely navigable using a gamepad, designed specifically for televisions and HTPC's.

It would load any Win32 app, such as Steam, Origin, UPlay, etc, but they would need to run in a "Made for Windows TV" mode, else the OS would display a warning prompt when opening them or something.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
It works on console, but I have no interest in their UI to navigate my library or anything to do with gaming, while on PC.

12Dannu123

I think what we need is a "Windows TV", a cut down version of Windows 10, which runs both UWP and Win32 applications.

It would essentially be Windows 10, but with an XBOX One interface, completely navigable using a gamepad, designed specifically for televisions and HTPC's.

It would load any Win32 app, such as Steam, Origin, UPlay, etc, but they would need to run in a "Made for Windows TV" mode, else the OS would display a warning prompt when opening them or something.

That's not going to happen, the likely thing is that the Gaming Controller UI will be only for UWP Stores.

Not exactly groundbreaking (it's basically the Steambox concept, right ?)

Not quite. My prediction is that the XBox One X aka 4K will "fail" (or rather: will not be successful enough to continue) for a multitude of reasons and that Microsoft in the long term will abandon the XBox brand. The XBox however will return as a "Microsoft Surface Box" with a light grey design as part of the "Surface" line of products. Where the Steambox was to be an open platform for licensees, the Surface Box will be closed. I am not sure however how Microsoft will market this. As a gaming box for the living room with subsidized exclusives? As a holo lens platform? As a content streamer - but with what content partner? All of the above?

Jagz

That's not going to happen, the likely thing is that the Gaming Controller UI will be only for UWP Stores.
In that case, couldn't Valve (or other) just make a UWP front end for their store, which can load a Win32 game? That would still be convenient.

AlanAwake

In that case, couldn't Valve (or other) just make a UWP front end for their store, which can load a Win32 game? That would still be convenient.

I don't think they can. Because of the sandboxed nature of UWP, many of Steams features wouldn't work.

Jagz

I don't think they can. Because of the sandboxed nature of UWP, many of Steams features wouldn't work.
I know, what I'm saying is those Steam features would still be built in to the underlying Win32 Steam application and games.

The Steam UWP app would simply be a front end, which lets you load a shortcut to a Win32 application installed on your PC and load the underlying Win32 Steam bootstrapper as well.

I work in the creative industry and have been dying to get a Surface Studio for freelance work outside of my main job. Didn't really have much interest in gaming on PC (obviously since I want a SS) but now I'm interested in seeing how much they bump the specs on the next iteration this fall (hopefully!)

Blam

Does it mean we will finally see Halo 3 onward playable on PC?
Holy shit
Hopefully so.

Halo isn't the blockbuster it used to be, but it still holds a very special place in my heart. I keep an Xbox around just for that occasional Halo itch. Having the MCC and later titles upgraded to be future-proof on pc would be fantastic.

I'd buy everything back again full price no questions asked.
Got ElDewrito to go with for that for the time being.

Top Bottom