• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Velocity Architecture - 100 GB is instantly accessible by the developer through a custom hardware decompression block

Did Epic say that the Unreal demo can ONLY be done on the PS5?

No, in fact from what I could gather it was just some random dude on Twitter who said that, based on some MS account deleting a tweet to an article that is still up, and a couple people ran with it as some smoking gun that the demo was only possible on PS5 hardware.

Greenberg tweeted that he can't wait to see UE5 on XsX and a thread was created calling him "pathetic" for it.

The funny part is I don't even think those attempting to claim UE5 demo could only be done on PS5, realize how much that's a bit of a bad sign for PS5 and next-gen in general. Now yes it was a mightily impressive demo (even accounting for a lot of actual game logic which wasn't running), but if you want to tell me that the pinnacle of next-gen fidelity with asset streaming is somewhat-quick flight and wall-running in a short sequence at 1440p and 30 FPS, and we'd have already seen it well before next-gen even launches...well that would be kinda shitty of next-gen hardware, wouldn't it?

Exactly.

Last edited:

Three

where have Epic claimed this can only be done on the PS5? Has something new been said?
My god. They haven't.
They stated "this is possible because of the PS5 ssd". That's it.
Where have MS stated this 2x efficiency over old gen games is only possible on XSX? They haven't, yet why when developers here and elsewhere give very sound reasoning as to where this efficiency is coming from do those same people claim people are calling MS liars for not believing in secret sauce and pointing to patents and unrelated tweets?

He's completely oblivious to the marketing angle between Epic and Sony in regards to those type of statements. If MS had the demo, Epic would've said something similar but replaced "PS5 SSD" with "Velocity Architecture".

Only a dolt would assume Epic or any major engine provider would roll out a demo to one specific platform holder AND openly say anything playing into a debate narrative that potentially looks negative on the other major platform holder they have a long history and business relationship providing engine support for.

And you're completely oblivious to MS' marketing angle promoting their own product. See how that works?

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
My god. They haven't.
Where have MS stated this 2x efficiency over old gen games is only possible on XSX? They haven't, yet why when developers here and elsewhere give very sound reasoning as to where this efficiency is coming from do those same people claim people are calling MS liars and pointing to patents and unrelated tweets?
where have they said its possible cos of the SSD directly? I have seen the quote from Tim Saying this will Run on Currant PC hardware , which I assume he meant high end

jimbojim

Banned
In case it was not obvious to you, this is thread about XSX SSD(not the PS5 SSD). So, any news regarding that will be posted here, irrespective of your bias.

Yet, in your very first post, you literally posted tweets vs PS5 and Kraken. And also in few posts before you posted an article vs PS5 SSD. And also you posted Louise Kirby's tweets where he had compared XSX SSD vs. PS5 SSD. But it's a thread about XSX SSD if you haven't noticed. C-c-c. And you telling me something about bias. Fine

just saw that you were on XboxERA Discord. Oh, crap

iBsrtJj.jpg

Last edited:
Yet, in your very first post, you literally posted tweets vs PS5 and Kraken. And also in few posts before you posted an article vs PS5 SSD. And also you posted Louise Kirby's tweets where he compared XSX SSD vs. PS5 SSD. But it's a thread about XSX SSD if you haven't noticed. C-c-c. And you telling me something about bias. Fine

We gotta get over this discord shit. Everyone has discord groups. Sony fans have discord groups too. We already went through pages of needless Era Discord drama shit that Bernkastel Bernkastel had to clarify a week or two ago. Let the discord thing go. Some group of Xbox fans on discord are not a credible threat to Sony, it is okay.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Yet, in your very first post, you literally posted tweets vs PS5 and Kraken. And also in few posts before you posted an article vs PS5 SSD. And also you posted Louise Kirby's tweets where he compared XSX SSD vs. PS5 SSD. But it's a thread about XSX SSD if you haven't noticed. C-c-c. And you telling me something about bias. Fine

iBsrtJj.jpg
*was. The Xbox discord I am in now is not XboxEra.

Last edited:

Three

phil_t98

#SonyToo
It needs fast storage if that's what you're asking

here is what he said,

That said, "on a high-end PC with an SSD," and especially with an NVMe SSD, we should get "awesome performance" from Unreal Engine 5 games. (With a good GPU and CPU too, of course.)

Now to use his own phrase about UE5 features they would run "Awesome on both PS5 and Xbox Series X"

so I see nothing so far that it can only run on PS5.

My god. They haven't.
Where have MS stated this 2x efficiency over old gen games is only possible on XSX? They haven't, yet why when developers here and elsewhere give very sound reasoning as to where this efficiency is coming from do those same people claim people are calling MS liars for not believing in secret sauce and pointing to patents and unrelated tweets?

And you're completely oblivious to MS' marketing angle promoting their own product. See how that works?

Oh get off of it dude. Every company has a marketing angle, I'm fully aware of that, and acknowledge it internally whenever posting anything. But there's a strong subsection of posters who more or less boil anything someone from MS speaks about publicly as ONLY a marketing angle, yet can somehow cut through any marketing angle people from Sony might spin and parse the meat and potatoes while simultaneously acknowledging any marketing speak thereof in a positive/optimistic (non-antagonistic) fashion.

There are still people who think there was zero marketing spin in the Road to PS5 presentation, when anyone looking at it from a rationale POV would know what points where embellished and which ones were conveniently downplayed specifically to work in a marketing angle. Oh and worth noting: having a marketing angle does not inherently mean said angle is a bad thing. Again back to Road to PS5; there was a marketing angle in a lot of that, but it was generally a good one and (for me) served its purpose while still being informative enough to where I could take most of what was mentioned at face value and therefore center any constructive criticism around that.

MS does the same thing and yet some people think of them as the bane of the industry when they do so. That's a double standard, and you can notice it a good amount of times throughout thread discourse.

It needs fast storage if that's what you're asking

And XSX has fast storage so...what are you trying to insinuate in your reply? It's not fast enough? Do you have data on performance analytics somehow that no one else does? Because some pretty well-informed people discussing this have, in their own way, basically concluded you don't need "fast" storage saturating even half of the XSX SSD's speed to do what was in that demo, let alone PS5's.

That should be seen as a good thing and yet here we have a response from you somewhat cheekily responding as if to insinuate one solution is not able to do what the company directly mentioning said solution claims. :pie_thinking:

P.S: You are deliberately taking Epic's statement on the SSD to specifically mean PS5's SSD, when any sensible person would take it to mean SSDs in general that meet a certain minimal threshold. And as well, you're still aloof to the marketing angle in their PR statements in relation to the demo that bear any references (of varying degree) to PS5.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Any notable individuals in it?
Are you talking about XboxEra ? I was in there for like 10 days. There was this whole drama in Meta GAF, where the THEAP99 THEAP99 and his fans tried to get me banned from GAF first with out of context screenshot from my discord then with a photoshop of me being admin in XboxEra.
If you mean, the current one I am part of, the only notable ones are reddit mods and Louise Kirby.
Xbot is a real disease
2105-full.jpg
Sure, not a problem. There are bunch of Discord groups surely. But that discord Xbox group on other forum had a purpose, and some members of that group still continuing doing the same crap. That's the problem.
Our Xbox discord is pretty chill. One screenshot from "that playstation discord", will make next-gen speculation threads look civil. From sending people to other discords, to faking a whole drama to get someone banned on GAF.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Oh get off of it dude. Every company has a marketing angle, I'm fully aware of that, and acknowledge it internally whenever posting anything. But there's a strong subsection of posters who more or less boil anything someone from MS speaks about publicly as ONLY a marketing angle, yet can somehow cut through any marketing angle people from Sony might spin and parse the meat and potatoes while simultaneously acknowledging any marketing speak thereof in a positive/optimistic (non-antagonistic) fashion.

There are still people who think there was zero marketing spin in the Road to PS5 presentation, when anyone looking at it from a rationale POV would know what points where embellished and which ones were conveniently downplayed specifically to work in a marketing angle. Oh and worth noting: having a marketing angle does not inherently mean said angle is a bad thing. Again back to Road to PS5; there was a marketing angle in a lot of that, but it was generally a good one and (for me) served its purpose while still being informative enough to where I could take most of what was mentioned at face value and therefore center any constructive criticism around that.

MS does the same thing and yet some people think of them as the bane of the industry when they do so. That's a double standard, and you can notice it a good amount of times throughout thread discourse.

And XSX has fast storage so...what are you trying to insinuate in your reply? It's not fast enough? Do you have data on performance analytics somehow that no one else does? Because some pretty well-informed people discussing this have, in their own way, basically concluded you don't need "fast" storage saturating even half of the XSX SSD's speed to do what was in that demo, let alone PS5's.

That should be seen as a good thing and yet here we have a response from you somewhat cheekily responding as if to insinuate one solution is not able to do what the company directly mentioning said solution claims. :pie_thinking:

P.S: You are deliberately taking Epic's statement on the SSD to specifically mean PS5's SSD, when any sensible person would take it to mean SSDs in general that meet a certain minimal threshold. And as well, you're still aloof to the marketing angle in their PR statements in relation to the demo that bear any references (of varying degree) to PS5.

Sony's marketing spin is always going to be SSD as that is the only place they have an advantage, now how that actual translates into an advantage nobody knows. its the only thing Sony can push with PS5 so Microsoft obviously are pushing the power angle it really is that simple. it just makes me laugh how many people are falling for it on both sides

Three

here is what he said,

That said, "on a high-end PC with an SSD," and especially with an NVMe SSD, we should get "awesome performance" from Unreal Engine 5 games. (With a good GPU and CPU too, of course.)

Now to use his own phrase about UE5 features they would run "Awesome on both PS5 and Xbox Series X"

so I see nothing so far that it can only run on PS5.
And there was no claim that it won't run on a XSX. That's my whole damn point. Just as how when MS claim 2x memory efficiency on next gen compared to current gen why are people treatimg that as secret sauce when it's obvious what they are referring to?

phil_t98

#SonyToo
And there was no claim that it won't run on a XSX. That's my whole damn point. Just as how when MS claim 2x memory efficiency on next gen compared to current gen why are people treatimg that as secret sauce when it's obvious what they are referring to?

so do you think it will run on Xbox series x as good as PS5 then?

Three

Then clearly you've missed the damn point completely. How do say get off it dude because you understand marketing yet assume I don't understand there is marketing. get out of here with that nonsense. Especially as you're lapping up the marketing on one side.

Three

so do you think it will run on Xbox series x as good as PS5 then?
No fucking idea. Probably. They said it will run awesome on both. It's not like I have access to it to run some profiler on it.

In the same vein. Do you believe that the hardware spec difference is nullified by SFS? Do you think 2x efficiency comes from 'custom filters' ?

Last edited:

NickFire

Sony's marketing spin is always going to be SSD as that is the only place they have an advantage, now how that actual translates into an advantage nobody knows. its the only thing Sony can push with PS5 so Microsoft obviously are pushing the power angle it really is that simple. it just makes me laugh how many people are falling for it on both sides
I'm kind of shocked you think Sony has nothing else to push. Something, something, games, oh yeah

jimbojim

Banned
Are you talking about XboxEra ? I was in there for like 10 days. There was this whole drama in Meta GAF, where the THEAP99 THEAP99 THEAP99 THEAP99 and his fans tried to get me banned from GAF first with out of context screenshot from my discord then with a photoshop of me being admin in XboxEra.
If you mean, the current one I am part of, the only notable ones are reddit mods and Louise Kirby.

Wasn't aware what happened here 10 days ago, but surely isn't okay to post false images. What happened like 2 months ago is very different.

Bernkastel

Mod of War Mod of War Someone restarted the discord drama. Not my fault
Yet, in your very first post, you literally posted tweets vs PS5 and Kraken. And also in few posts before you posted an article vs PS5 SSD. And also you posted Louise Kirby's tweets where he had compared XSX SSD vs. PS5 SSD. But it's a thread about XSX SSD if you haven't noticed. C-c-c. And you telling me something about bias. Fine

iBsrtJj.jpg

phil_t98

#SonyToo
No fucking idea. Probably. They said it will run awesome on both. It's not like I have access to it to run some profiler on it.

In the same vein. Do you believe that the hardware spec difference is nullified by SFS? Do you think 2x efficiency comes from 'custom filters' ?

I believe the demo will run equally awesome on both hardware.

I think the Xbox will have the edge next gen in power but PS5 will sell more but the gap won’t be as big. That’s my prediction

as to what you were saying over hardware spec I have no doubt that both Microsoft and Sony are telling the truth on what their systems can do.

Three

as to what you were saying over hardware spec I have no doubt that both Microsoft and Sony are telling the truth on what their systems can do.

You didn't answer the question though. Do you think SFS is offering a 2x efficiency over other hardware because of custom filters like some are here? MS are not making that claim.

Last edited:
You didn't answer the question though. Do you think SFS is offering a 2x efficiency over other hardware because of custom filters like some are here? MS are not making that claim.

It's starting to become clear that your main strategy is to misrepresent what people say to suit your beliefs.

Three

Has that been said by Microsoft? That’s what will happen?
No but just as I was pointing out some are reading the claim that there is 2x memory efficiency compared to xbox one games because of SSD as 2x efficiency on XSX only because of 'secret sauce'.

It's starting to become clear that your main strategy is to misrepresent what people say to suit your beliefs.

No. My main point of contention was mentioned about 3 times now. So you tell me. Do you believe that there is 2x efficiency over old games because of... What exactly. We've covered it a million times you tried to claim it's custom GPU hardware found in XSX only. you didn't understand where most that efficiency gain for memory was coming from.

Answer the simple question. Do you think there is 2x efficiency in SFS compared to similar methods without a marketing term present today even before next gen? Once you answer that then maybe we agree but I've said my answer to this question several times now without you once accepting or proving otherwise.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
No but just as I was pointing out some are reading the claim that there is 2x memory efficiency compared to xbox one games because of SSD as 2x efficiency on XSX only because of 'secret sauce'.
Same with people saying there will be no bottlenecks. There will always be bottlenecks no matter what. Just the bottlenecks are better this gen compared to last gen

jimbojim

Banned
Mod of War Mod of War Someone restarted the discord drama. Not my fault

I had right to doubt it. For a good reason. Pretty hypocritical from you is that you telling me that this is thread about XSX SSD and every news regarding that will be posted, yet you were the very first one who mentioned PS5 SSD and Kraken and continuously doing so ( like that Scorn "reliable" opinion recently ).

But nevertheless. EOD regarding Discord.

Three

Same with people saying there will be no bottlenecks. There will always be bottlenecks no matter what. Just the bottlenecks are better this gen compared to last gen
Right, exactly but again how is that relevant here. Did I say people saying there are no bottlenecks are correct? This is what I mean about attacking a straw man. Some critical thinking and providing relevant evidence would help this thread greatly.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Right, exactly but again how is that relevant here. Did I say people saying there are no bottlenecks are correct? This is what I mean about attacking a straw man. Some critical thinking and providing relevant evidence would help this thread greatly.

i asked you where it was stated that PS5 could run the demo and others can’t. That’s it. Not a trolling post a genuine ask
thats it

NickFire

There are no games to push as of yet or have you seen loads of PS5 games that we haven’t?
That argument does not hold water with me because Sony has earned my trust with respect to providing a library of great console exclusives. I fully expect to see something nice next week during their stream. I'm going to end this line of discussion here now, because I dont want to muck up the thread arguing over software.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
That argument does not hold water with me because Sony has earned my trust with respect to providing a library of great console exclusives. I fully expect to see something nice next week during their stream. I'm going to end this line of discussion here now, because I dont want to muck up the thread arguing over software.

where am I arguing ? I stated where it is at this moment in time because no games been announced as of yet. Talking about the hardware

NickFire

where am I arguing ? I stated where it is at this moment in time because no games been announced as of yet. Talking about the hardware
I had read your first post (that I replied to) to the effect of Sony was going to focus their marketing strategy on SSD, as its their only advantage and what they would push. I feel they will be pushing their pedigree with respect to games more than SSD, or at least as much. You then called me out for not seeing the games yet, which was accurate on your part. As it seemed you were disclaiming their software chops as an advantage for marketing, I did assume you were rejecting my theory about pushing their games as an advantage. If you aren't then we agree to agree I guess.

jimbojim

Banned
Will post this here, despite the hatred for this person by some people....

And this is just ( one of ) the reason why i had right to doubt about Discord. Even members of ordinary Xbox Discord are doing that. Continuously spreading FUD about PS5 is astonishing

Three

Will post this here, despite the hatred for this person by some people....

The example is loading all tiles at max resolution even when not visible. i.e doing nothing that is currently available now. Hence why it's mentioned as a "silly example" by the author themself.

Also louise kirby doesn't even know what 'SFS' is because she is just flouting the marketing term. Ask what hardware does 'SFS' require and you will not get a real answer.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I had read your first post (that I replied to) to the effect of Sony was going to focus their marketing strategy on SSD, as its their only advantage and what they would push. I feel they will be pushing their pedigree with respect to games more than SSD, or at least as much. You then called me out for not seeing the games yet, which was accurate on your part. As it seemed you were disclaiming their software chops as an advantage for marketing, I did assume you were rejecting my theory about pushing their games as an advantage. If you aren't then we agree to agree I guess.
Yeah Sony haven’t talked games yet. They only talked hardware and not that much on it yet. If you look at the effect of what they are pushing you can see it on this forum. SSD and why people are arguing it will make PS5 better than Xbox or this very thread of Xbox using compression to double their speed or whatever

oldergamer

The example is loading all tiles at max resolution even when not visible. i.e doing nothing that is currently available now. Hence why it's mentioned as a "silly example" by the author themself.

Also louise kirby doesn't even know what 'SFS' is because she is just flouting the marketing term. Ask what hardware does 'SFS' require and you will not get a real answer.
i don't see how you could make a 10x improvement on PRT. Unless knowing the mip maps you require means less data overall

Top Bottom