• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Velocity Architecture - 100 GB is instantly accessible by the developer through a custom hardware decompression block

llien

On the contrary, it seems the scenario we're dealing with is one where the SSD is just being used directly like a slower, much larger amount of system RAM. In such a scenario it isn't necessarily about 100GB being accessed instantly all at once, like it needing to be loaded in somewhere like system RAM. It's more that anything across a 100GB stretch of a game's stored data on the SSD can be instantly called upon and used for the game without copying into system RAM.

So "any chosen 5GB of 100GB is accessible in about a second" right?
That's cool, now, why only 100GB? I thought SSD in XSeX will be 10 times bigger.

The way I read it, some assholes tried to mislead the public by making nonsensical statements.

Regarding those that are not Sony in that list
Matt Philips

Mike Evans

Dale North

This dude composed for Dragon Fantasy Book II(PlayStation Vita, PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 and later WiiU), Sparklite(multi-platform) and Wizard of Legend(multi-platform).

Olivier JT

Randy Pitchford

So, this SSD jargon is mostly Sony devs and their circlejerk. Instead of checking what they said you jut quoted a Ree post and used it for your SSD PR.
I on the other hand quoted an actual dev who worked on big companies like Valve and Space X. The guys actually praising PS5 are indie devs and Randy(who is making a PS5 exclusive). We literally had CDPR praising Series X smart delivery. The AMD dude is just saying both are great.

Hey Lady, what happened to days when SONY used Flops ? Bring back Ken I say LOL

K5hHhhF.jpg

That's cool, now, why only 100GB? I thought SSD in XSeX will be 10 times bigger.

The way I read it, some assholes tried to mislead the public by making nonsensical statements.

- That's about right.

- That 100GB can only refer to the approximate size of a next game - at least, it's the only way I can interpret it by reading the full quote/paragraph:

The form factor is cute, the 2.4GB/s of guaranteed throughput is impressive, but it's the software APIs and custom hardware built into the SoC that deliver what Microsoft believes to be a revolution - a new way of using storage to augment memory (an area where no platform holder will be able to deliver a more traditional generational leap). The idea, in basic terms at least, is pretty straightforward - the game package that sits on storage essentially becomes extended memory, allowing 100GB of game assets stored on the SSD to be instantly accessible by the developer. It's a system that Microsoft calls the Velocity Architecture and the SSD itself is just one part of the system.

- That reads to me as simply describing the function of an SSD - of course with some improved functionality added by MS.

Last edited:
This just shows how huge the Sony fanbase is.
don’t want to now how many press and magazine journalists are Sony fanboys. Maybe that’s why Sony exclusive games get so many high scores? Lol

let’s be real here. Yes the ps5 has a faster ssd. But a slower gpu, cpu, memory, worse RT... come on man.
the Xbox ssd is already extremely fast, it’s not like it’s Slow or anything.,, and games will be developed around that.
why would a multiplatform dev waste time and resource just for the Sony ssd? Maybe first party, yes but not multiplatform. And even if so, it’s just the ssd... there are many more important things in hardware.

how can one seriously think that having a faster ssd will Be more important than having a faster gpu, cpu, memory? Seriously?!
let’s just look at the facts... no bullshit please.. it’s getting ridiculous .

Nobody is denying that XSX is a stronger. But you missed the point of the tweets and whole crap around it. And also, since you mentioned that press and magazine journalyst are Sony fanboys, it's not worth to discuss any further

Ar¢tos

This just shows how huge the Sony fanbase is.
don’t want to now how many press and magazine journalists are Sony fanboys. Maybe that’s why Sony exclusive games get so many high scores? Lol

let’s be real here
. Yes the ps5 has a faster ssd. But a slower gpu, cpu, memory, worse RT... come on man.
the Xbox ssd is already extremely fast, it’s not like it’s Slow or anything.,, and games will be developed around that.
why would a multiplatform dev waste time and resource just for the Sony ssd? Maybe first party, yes but not multiplatform. And even if so, it’s just the ssd... there are many more important things in hardware.

how can one seriously think that having a faster ssd will Be more important than having a faster gpu, cpu, memory? Seriously?!
let’s just look at the facts... no bullshit please.. it’s getting ridiculous .
The reality is, the SSD or GPU or CPU of neither of them matters. Only a small percentage of gamers are in gaming forums. The Fifa, Cod and Battlefield casuals don't care, they buy the console that has the TV marketing or that their friends have.
When current gen started there were a few Xbox TV adverts here but as soon as they started losing the race, they completely stopped. For years there has been only Nintendo and Sony advertising.
They should have doubled the amount of advertising when they started losing, but instead they just gave up.
For casuals, that are most of the buyers:
Brand image > specs

Ascend

Yup, 4.8GB/s sounds ok, but it's COMPRESSED, with raw being 2.4GB/s only. PS5 is doing 5.5BG/s RAW, so around 11GB/s compressed. (up to 22GB/s by the way)

Still, like a minivan, you can drive it to work. :messenger_winking_tongue: That's how too much steroid hinders your agility.:messenger_sunglasses:
Actually, it's 9GB/s compressed, because PS5's compression is inferior to XSX's.

recursive

The xsx will launch with:

• Halo
  • any unannounced first party game(s) (maybe forza 8)
  • third party launch titles
  • Game Pass
  • Every bc xbox and 360 game
  • Every x1 game

That's a lot.

Also, as a reminder, when the x1 and ps4 launched it was all about power. The x1 actually had more exclusives.

Dont forget it was also all about TV for xbox.

Mendou

Banned
Ok I’ll bite. Every word in Cerny’s brief was carefully chosen as part of their PR management strategy. Watch it again and you’ll hear him say:
  1. Game players are here for the fantastic games
  2. The feature most requested by developers was SSD (And then it’s SSD bombardment)
  3. Important for us to find something other than CPU power, GPU power or amount of RAM
  4. Dangerous to rely on TFLOPS as an absolute indicator of performance.
  5. CU count should be avoided as well.
Now tell me who is downplaying what. And try to deny they’re not hanging everything on SSD, whilst also claiming a win with the perception amongst fanboys that Xbox has no games.
Don't throw pearls before swine.

So Toms Harware has said this about the XSXs memory.

"Microsoft says the Xbox Series X memory will be partitioned into 10GB for the GPU and 6GB for the system. It will use a relatively massive 512-bit interface, yielding a combined 896 GBps of bandwidth, with 320 bits for the GPU portion and 192 bits for the CPU. That's a lot of bandwidth!"

Is this true or not? I have heard the same thing mentioned elsewhere as well.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

"Microsoft says the Xbox Series X memory will be partitioned into 10GB for the GPU and 6GB for the system. It will use a relatively massive 512-bit interface, yielding a combined 896 GBps of bandwidth, with 320 bits for the GPU portion and 192 bits for the CPU. That's a lot of bandwidth!"

They are adding the bandwidth up to reach close to a TB/s? Nah, I do not think that is how it is going to work. Not sure why they are inflating the memory bandwidth number like that.
By implying essentially physically split pools they are limiting the RAM available to the GPU quite a bit and making data management more complex than I think it is.

Address space is still unified, memory can be treated as a single entity with two virtual regions, one slower and one faster, but if you really treated as physically partitioned pool with exclusive access than you would need to waste space and bandwidth copying data from one to the other... wasteful...

Ok I’ll bite. Every word in Cerny’s brief was carefully chosen as part of their PR management strategy. Watch it again and you’ll hear him say:
  1. Game players are here for the fantastic games
  2. The feature most requested by developers was SSD (And then it’s SSD bombardment)
  3. Important for us to find something other than CPU power, GPU power or amount of RAM
  4. Dangerous to rely on TFLOPS as an absolute indicator of performance.
  5. CU count should be avoided as well.
Now tell me who is downplaying what. And try to deny they’re not hanging everything on SSD, whilst also claiming a win with the perception amongst fanboys that Xbox has no games.

The second Cerny said we should not rely on TFLOPs as a measurement of power and that CU’s “should be avoided as well”, I knew they were going to have a weaker console. It’s like if Jameis Winston was pitching to a new NFL team and he said using sacks taken to measure QB quality is a mistake and “interceptions thrown should be avoided as well” 😆

-Arcadia-

Banned
The second Cerny said we should not rely on TFLOPs as a measurement of power and that CU’s “should be avoided as well”, I knew they were going to have a weaker console. It’s like if Jameis Winston was pitching to a new NFL team and he said using sacks taken to measure QB quality is a mistake and “interceptions thrown should be avoided as well” 😆

Regardless of whether the PS5 is weaker or not (most likely weaker), TF as a general measurement is extremely wanting, and he’s not wrong.

Take this Digital Foundry piece, wherein they make the case for a 4TF Xbox Series S, and repeatedly get lower TF hardware to turn out better results than higher TF builds:

Likewise, I thought Cerny made a good case for his CU argument as well.

Teraflops are a good general measurement, but we’ve come to rely on them to an obsessive degree. A number has been simplified down to the number for ease-of-use among console warriors, when the reality is quite a bit more complex.

Regardless of whether the PS5 is weaker or not (most likely weaker), TF as a general measurement is extremely wanting, and he’s not wrong.

Take this Digital Foundry piece, wherein they make the case for a 4TF Xbox Series S, and repeatedly get lower TF hardware to turn out better results than higher TF builds:

Teraflops are a good general measurement, but we’ve come to rely on them to an obsessive degree. A number has been simplified down to the number for ease-of-use among console warriors, when the reality is quite a bit more complex.

Im not saying either number is the end all be all factor of anything. Agreeing with the other poster that it seemed like blatant damage control and we were right.

Flintty

Im not saying either number is the end all be all factor of anything. Agreeing with the other poster that it seemed like blatant damage control and we were right.
Yeah exactly this, and my original post was in response to someone saying MS we’re doing the downplaying.
I think PS5 will be a huge hit, no doubt about it. I just can’t stand the bullshit from some posters here.

semicool

Banned

Teraflops works for relative performance when you compare the same architecture to same architecture.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned

Look at the GDDR6 chips part numbers and compare them on "Samsung semiconductor", you will get your answer. 02:36am here and I'm on mobile so give it ago.

Windows-PC

Banned
I am an Xbox guy, but man I find these Xbox YouTube's annoying. Dealer, Colt etc just come over as tools.
While I think NXgamer is a bit Sony biased, I can listen to him without feeling cringed unlike those other dude's.
Colt and Dealer are to Xbox what Foxy Games is to PS.

I really respect your Opinion :) I actually don't know Colt, it's the really one of the first Videos I've seen by him. I found it really informative, and easy to understand, and very well explained. That's why I thought it's worth posting :)

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
This is a great Video about the Velocity Architecture :)

He believes it will nullify the performance gap between the PS5 SSD. He usually makes these types of videos to simply damage control what's going on.

PS5 is getting high reviews on metacritic? He makes a video about metacritic scores and tries to put it in Xbox's favor.

Xbox lack in the first party exclusive department? Makes a video about how its not important.

But claims he's not a fanboy. lol

Windows-PC

Banned
He believes it will nullify the performance gap between the PS5 SSD. He usually makes these types of videos to simply damage control what's going on.

PS5 is getting high reviews on metacritic? He makes a video about metacritic scores and tries to put it in Xbox's favor.

Xbox lack in the first party exclusive department? Makes a video about how its not important.

I don't know his previous Videos, but I think that Video what I've posted is really infomative, easy to understand, and everything he said was backed by comments from developers of facts.

At the end I also belive that the PlayStation 5 will not have a huge advantage, if they have any advantage with the SSD over the XBox Series X because of the Velocity Architecture by Microsoft ;)

I really respect your Opinion :) I actually don't know Colt, it's the really one of the first Videos I've seen by him. I found it really informative, and easy to understand, and very well explained. That's why I thought it's worth posting :)
Yeah its not the info they report, it's just their voices and tone. That's a personal thing. I find alot of people in the media the same way, but other love them. I guess it's like taste in music.
It was worth posting, no dramas there.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I don't know his previous Videos, but I think that Video what I've posted is really infomative, easy to understand, and everything he said was backed by comments from developers of facts.

At the end I also belive that the PlayStation 5 will not have a huge advantage, if they have any advantage with the SSD over the XBox Series X because of the Velocity Architecture by Microsoft ;)

That alone, even with decompression features won't make up the game in performance. That's the narrative he's trying to push and it's wrong.

Bogus, I've never heard of any of those xbox youtubers to my knowledge claim that exclusives aren't important. They literally call God of War their favorite damn game of the generation half the time.

I belive Microsoft has an ace up his sleeve with the Velocity Architecture ;)

It's an ace for sure, why? Because people seem to be overlooking that a 2.4GB/s SSD isn't slow. It also sounds like Microsoft has an entirely new and far more efficient method of supplying textures to the GPU that will both save physical RAM as well as SSD performance by potentially creating less work for the system to do. or by allowing the system to do significantly more with what's available.

If by chance Sony doesn't have the same texture efficiency solution, then their SSD being as fast as it is would seem to be the next best alternative. I'm not saying it's at all inferior, but the differences may not be what we think outside of raw loading speed.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Bogus, I've never heard of any of those xbox youtubers to my knowledge claim that exclusives aren't important. They literally call God of War their favorite damn game of the generation half the time.

Bogus? LOL

Where do you think the narrative about 10 million copies sold from a 100 million install base originated from?

Before the Xbox One X came out, people were saying people cared about the best version of multiplats and exclusives were only for the hardcore games. That's the reason why you see Xbox posters on here repeat the same stuff because they got their terrible logic from them. lol

I know you like the, but they are a very toxic community.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I'll just reply again.

Don't remember this video? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Notice how he starts off saying "Exclusives are important, right?"

Then he continues through the video talking about sales and tries to prove that exclusives don't help drive sales. He was also very dishonest in his reporting, too.

These guys always make video to damage control.

Last edited:

Three

I am an Xbox guy, but man I find these Xbox YouTube's annoying. Dealer, Colt etc just come over as tools.
While I think NXgamer is a bit Sony biased, I can listen to him without feeling cringed unlike those other dude's.
Colt and Dealer are to Xbox what Foxy Games is to PS.
I have a feeling that Eastwood333 here is him judging by his comments and username.

thelastword

Banned
I have a feeling that Eastwood333 here is him judging by his comments and username.
Ha, you may be on the money...….I've seen maybe one ortwo posts from him but never took notice, but yesterday he responded to me and he was so buoyant...….You may be unto something, these guys get so animated in their defense of XBOX....

--------------------------------
One thing on MS though, having seen that 4TF video screen in this thread......It will be interesting how MS does the messaging between a 4TF box and a 12TF box......The divide is going to be huge....Not sure it's a good idea because these high end consoles are going to make 4K 60fps a really common thing, it will become like this gen's 1080P on PS4.....I don't think a 1080p console will thrive in 2020 when these big boys launch in November......pretty much anyone can afford a cheap 4K TV right now and the better ones will be available for much cheaper by then...….I dont see how Lockhart is going to take off in that climate....

what if XsX Pro used ReRAM, along with implementing I/O stuff that Sony did? Would it reach 30-40 GB/sec bandwidth? If so, would it be beneficial? That plus using HBM2 memory with close to 1 TB/sec bandwidth :messenger_face_screaming::pie_drooling::pie_astonished:

Entroyp

This! Sony's solution is great, but people forget that Microsoft's solution is also absolutely fine and sufficient.

I would say it’s beyond fine and sufficient, it’s superb. Sony just went bonkers with theirs (in a Good way) and we’ll see if the ROI is enough to compensate for sacrificing other elements of the design.

Top Bottom