• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Website Changes Design to Look Like Xbox 360 'Blades' Dashboard

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Xbox website has returned to the Xbox 360 era with a home page that resembles the original dashboard for the seventh generation console and second Microsoft console. This dashboard is known as the "Blades" design and it launched with the Xbox 360 and remained the user interface for the platform until 2011 when it was revamped as part of the new Xbox experience. Xbox 360 fans who were introduced to the platform with the Xbox 360 Slim may not have come across the Blades dashboard, but others are flooded with memories simply by seeing it.

The Xbox home page flips from one page to another similar to the Xbox 360 UI using the Blades dashboard design. The revamped page currently features titles like Back 4 Blood, Far Cry 6, and Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl within Blades of their own, while small text bubbles take Xbox fans to the Game Pass, games, consoles, accessories, play, and sign-in pages. Taking these links will remove the Blades dashboard aesthetic in favor of the modern Xbox website design, suggesting that the Xbox 360 facelift was customized specifically for the home page.

xbox-360-blades-dashboard-website.jpg

dottme

For console, it was really easy and fast. And it still looks quite good. I think you just need to update the texture a little and it can be great and modern.

Kacho

Gold Member
Baller. Hopefully they have something cool to announce in the near future. Bring back the BC program and give us a blades themed UI on Series consoles.

MrFunSocks

Banned
The blades were great aesthetically, though look very "gamey" and outdated today, but the main reason why they can't be the UI for the console now is that they were absolutely *horrible* once DLC etc became a thing. Trying to navigate all the content via text lists was an exercise in frustration.

I still remember how awesome xbox live was and there was no way sony could compete with it during the early part of that generation. PSN was just launched and was a joke in comparison. Nobody knows how things will actually turn out in the future. PSN is massive for sony now.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
I still remember how awesome xbox live was and there was no way sony could compete with it during the early part of that generation. PSN was just launched and was a joke in comparison. Nobody knows how things will actually turn out in the future. PSN is massive for sony now.
That's kind of misremembering. No one said PSN will never be decent. It's been almost 20 years and while it's good, it's still behind xbox live in many ways. Just because it makes them tonnes of money doesn't mean it's amazing.

That's kind of misremembering. No one said PSN will never be decent. It's been almost 20 years and while it's good, it's still behind xbox live in many ways. Just because it makes them tonnes of money doesn't mean it's amazing.

Bwahahah! weren't you around those days? People were declaring the ps brand will be dead before the middle of the gen. Trust me, my memories are in good order.

It was a dumpster fire. Nobody in their right mind was saying PSN would atleast be on par with xbox live eventually and it took sony an entire generation to do it. The main point was though, how nobody can predict what's going to happen. The gaming landscape could look like something none of us expect today, in 10-15 years from now.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Bwahahah! weren't you around those days? People were declaring the ps brand will be dead before the middle of the gen. Trust me, my memories are in good order.

It was a dumpster fire. Nobody in their right mind was saying PSN would atleast be on par with xbox live eventually and it took sony an entire generation to do it. The main point was though, how nobody can predict what's going to happen. The gaming landscape could look like something none of us expect today, in 10-15 years from now.
Idiots might have said that, but idiots are idiots and shouldn't be listened to.

PSN isn't on par with xbox live, it's just much better than it used to be.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
I loved the blades, mostly for their unique personality. Back when devices didn’t try and make everything homogeneous and wanted an identity of their own, blades made the Xbox 360 feel unique. Now, my Xbox Series X feels the same as my Xbox One S.

In terms of functionality, though, I always preferred the XMB UI. It was just that much more useable for me.

theclaw135

Banned

People complaining about any digital store today are full of it. The PS3 store was an awe inspiring exercise in glitching out, kicking you back to the XMB.

kingwingin

I'd love to see the original ps3 store again. I vaguely remember it just being a generic website while controlling a mouse pointer with the controller.

Also no in game xmb was brutal those first few years.

I don’t like the current UI particularly when it comes to wallpapers/themes which can’t be fully seen due to the clutter. The blades & NXE were the best , modernising either one id be happy with.

Lol I mean they’re both networks, but they’re very different in their features and functions

of course theres small differences here and there but mostly they're pretty much the same. i cant think of any service having a major feature over the other. the core functions are pretty much the same now. during the PS3/360 era, the differences were night and day. it goes to show us that competition is always good for us and each company will improve because of it. PS network only got better because of how shitty it was in comparison to what microsoft had with xbox live. if it wasnt for the fact that it was free, it would have barely gained any users.

Last edited:
Top Bottom