• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Wire - Everything You Need to Know about Xbox Series X and The Future of Xbox… So Far

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Isn't UE5 out in 2121?

For all developers yes. But it's always a possibility that they have partnered to use it and share Tech. Someone has to use the engine other than epic to see how things are working and test new features.

Last edited:
Naughty Dog
Insomniac
Sucker Punch
Santa Monica
Guerrilla Games

3rd party exclusives from
Bluepoint
Supermassive Games
Kojima Pro

The Coalition
343 Industries
Ninja Theory
Obsidian
The Initiative
Playground

MS will also have 3rd party exclusives that are not announced yet
Sony still has a lead in 1st party, but MS has come a long way

And I wasn't getting into how many studios, but simply stating MS has studios that will be putting out technically impressive games as well as they now have the studios to do so.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Wonder where CatLady's been, fwiw

Some issues were making me feel kind of discouraged, plus I've been spending WAY too much time on here with the never-ending lockdown so I decided it was time cut down on participation and the amount of time I spend here for a while until I have a better attitude.

I will most definitely be here tomorrow when we finally get our first serious look at next gen gameplay though. Should be exciting.

Just an observation of slight change wording from MS, from “our” to “the” most powerful console.

I was always getting the X day one either way 👍

It would have been presumptuous to state it is THE most powerful console it until Sony revealed the PS5 specs and made it official.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
User has been removed from thread.
Best exclusives is always subjective and any ps5 exclusive could look and run better on xbox series x or pc and will be held back by the ps5. If you care about graphics supporting exclusives on the weakest hardware doesn't make sense.
There are some things that PS5 will do better and there are things that XSX does better

Ultimately, they'll be on the same level but I bet PS5 exclusives will still look better graphically

Dr Bass

Best exclusives is always subjective and any ps5 exclusive could look and run better on xbox series x or pc and will be held back by the ps5. If you care about graphics supporting exclusives on the weakest hardware doesn't make sense.

You really ... haven't followed anything happening with UE5 it seems.

Arkam

Lots of good info in one place. Thanks for posting Chunk!

"No boost mode, no downclocking, the full power of the Xbox Series X for each and every backward compatible game. "

Good swipe at Sony... and absolutely dumb and untrue statement. But hey its marketing speak so I'll allow it. Hope sony is ready and organized to respond on playstation.com (after the stream of course) Cuz if you read this MS piece straight through (and dont critically scrutinize) it gets you hyped for the XSX.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
I am sorry but we know this already. Surely MS knows this comes off as desperate.

I get that they want to make sure they dont give all the marketing cycles to Sony, but that doesnt mean they need to regurgitate what we already know. Have something to counter Sony. A game announcement. A teaser. Maybe even a new hardware feature or studio acquisition.

I am really not sure how many times they need to tell us they have the most powerful console. We know. Now show us the goods please.

I mean, literally the first paragraph says that the theres no new info, and advices to bookmark the url for future updated.

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
Maybe a thread for that though? It's pretty big news because people were debating it when the UE5 tech demo hit.

If somebody wants to create a separate thread on that, they can.

How would that be bait?

Do you want this to regress into that brand of console wars where that’s all that will be argued about, or do you want it in a spinoff thread keeping this one relatively on topic with all in one information?

Was this Dirt article posted anywhere?

"The drive is so fast that I can load data mid-frame, use it, consume it, unload and replace it with something else in the middle of a frame, treating GPU memory like a virtual disk. How much texture data can I now load? "

This tells me both consoles will provide near identical SSD application capabilities. At some point, there is a maximum of things you can do in a frame. Will be interesting to see development on these things.

Be interesting to see where both consoles go now, I am eagerly waiting to see the UI's especially from microsofts side

This is one thing I worry about. I still hate the Xbox One UI, although it has gotten better over time. I really hope they have a near complete overhaul coming for the Series X.

If somebody wants to create a separate thread on that, they can.

Do you want this to regress into that brand of console wars where that’s all that will be argued about, or do you want it in a spinoff thread keeping this one relatively on topic with all in one information?

How would that be a console war? It's a huge part of the article. It's just a reveal that Hellblade 2 is running on UE5 which was buried in the article. I haven't mentioned anything about PS5

I am honestly confused

Last edited:
"The drive is so fast that I can load data mid-frame, use it, consume it, unload and replace it with something else in the middle of a frame, treating GPU memory like a virtual disk. How much texture data can I now load? "

This tells me both consoles will provide near identical SSD application capabilities. At some point, there is a maximum of things you can do in a frame. Will be interesting to see development on these things.
There was a dev that claims Velocity or BCPack will be XSX's Darkhorse. We'll see

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
How would that be a console war? It's a huge part of the article. It's just a reveal that Hellblade 2 is running on UE5 which was buried in the article. I haven't mentioned anything about PS5

I am honestly confused

I recommend making a new thread for that information, otherwise that’s all that’s going to be argued about in this thread, turning it into a battleground.

I never said you mentioned anything about the PS5. It will be an open invitation, however.

jakinov

Can y'all not turn this into a list war FFS.

Every. Damn. Thread.

Ah the lists! I remember that during the PS3 days. The YouTube comments section, article comment sections, public facebook pages, or forums posts. Every thread there's at least one PlayStation fan who posts a big list of exclusive games and sometimes even a big list of hardware reasons to buy PS3. The fan word-of-mouth was very strong back then. It's pretty strong nowadays too in a trending sort of way; like on twitter and reddit. People posting pictures of their Horizon Zero Dawn or God of War PS4 bundle has made it to my front page on reddit multiple times. Also a circle jerk of random gifs or photo-mode screenshots also pop up a lot.

ZywyPL

Banned
XBX=brute force, that's all you need to know ;)

Seriously tho, I really wonder how all the mix of hardware/software features will play out, MS seems to be aiming for high framerate/low input-lag this time around, which can only translate to a great gameplay experience. When is their full reveal again?

CatLady

Ah the lists! I remember that during the PS3 days. The YouTube comments section, article comment sections, public facebook pages, or forums posts. Every thread there's at least one PlayStation fan who posts a big list of exclusive games and sometimes even a big list of hardware reasons to buy PS3. The fan word-of-mouth was very strong back then. It's pretty strong nowadays too in a trending sort of way; like on twitter and reddit. People posting pictures of their Horizon Zero Dawn or God of War PS4 bundle has made it to my front page on reddit multiple times. Also a circle jerk of random gifs or photo-mode screenshots also pop up a lot.

Both sides do it and it's annoying af. Everyone in a game forum like GAF already knows what developers and games each company has and it reeks of infantile 1st grade playground one-upsmanship.

jakinov

Both sides do it and it's annoying af. Everyone in a game forum like GAF already knows what developers and games each company has and it reeks of infantile 1st grade playground one-upsmanship.
Both do, but from my experience PlayStation fans notably did it a lot more. I think because of the "PS3 has no games" memes and people always talking about PS3 "losing exclusives" (DMC, Assassisns Creed, Tekken and Final Fantasy) during the PS3 days that people felt they need to be on the offense to convince everyone.

Some issues were making me feel kind of discouraged, plus I've been spending WAY too much time on here with the never-ending lockdown so I decided it was time cut down on participation and the amount of time I spend here for a while until I have a better attitude.

I will most definitely be here tomorrow when we finally get our first serious look at next gen gameplay though. Should be exciting.

Ah okay I understand. The lockdown stuff's just messed up a lot of things for people, especially those in the big cities. But at least things seem to be reopening and going back to normal (very) slowly but surely. Hopefully the issues in question have been resolved for better or are in the process of such.

Tomorrow should hopefully be very hype, indeed! Good to see you post here and there in any case but most importantly good harmony with life in general is always of importance so peace and blessings to you 👍

XBX=brute force, that's all you need to know ;)

Seriously tho, I really wonder how all the mix of hardware/software features will play out, MS seems to be aiming for high framerate/low input-lag this time around, which can only translate to a great gameplay experience. When is their full reveal again?

I thought August 17th (Hot Chips), but apparently they're doing a presser on XvA this month sometime? There's still no guarantee that'll cover everything about XvA, either, especially if there's parts to it reliant on working in tandem with other system architecture features which won't be discussed until August x3

Last edited:

CatLady

Ah okay I understand. The lockdown stuff's just messed up a lot of things for people, especially those in the big cities. But at least things seem to be reopening and going back to normal (very) slowly but surely. Hopefully the issues in question have been resolved for better or are in the process of such.

Tomorrow should hopefully be very hype, indeed! Good to see you post here and there in any case but most importantly good harmony with life in general is always of importance so peace and blessings to you 👍

Yeah, I'm in Los Angeles and we already have over 2000 deaths from the China plague and we are going to have many thousands more after the cases spike way up thanks to the THOUSANDS of protestors all day EVERY day here. The worst part is we were going to start opening up a bit the same weekend all the protestors and looters trashed the city. Now I don't think we'll reopen before 2026 if ever.

I think the the issues that were getting me down at GAF are being taken care of EXCEPT the amount of time I spend here. I meant to just make a quick post or 2 in this thread and get back to gaming, yet a couple hours later here I still am. I love GAF and I hate it. I'm sitting here in this forum instead of playing Wasteland 2 which mostly takes place in the future wasteland of Los Angeles. It's perfect training for what this city will be in the very near future. :pie_lcry:

Yeah, I'm in Los Angeles and we already have over 2000 deaths from the China plague and we are going to have many thousands more after the cases spike way up thanks to the THOUSANDS of protestors all day EVERY day here. The worst part is we were going to start opening up a bit the same weekend all the protestors and looters trashed the city. Now I don't think we'll reopen before 2026 if ever.

I think the the issues that were getting me down at GAF are being taken care of EXCEPT the amount of time I spend here. I meant to just make a quick post or 2 in this thread and get back to gaming, yet a couple hours later here I still am. I love GAF and I hate it. I'm sitting here in this forum instead of playing Wasteland 2 which mostly takes place in the future wasteland of Los Angeles. It's perfect training for what this city will be in the very near future. :pie_lcry:

Damn, you couldn't pay me to live in LA xD. Or NYC, for that matter. Nice places to visit I'm sure but I just prefer living around lots of greenery and skies I can actually see the stars in at night. Hopefully things are quelling down with the protests and especially instigators/looters/rioters. Kinda feel many of them got out due to it being a change of pace from the lockdowns and "social distancing", and hopefully the CDC's being legit in their claims the virus isn't as contagious as they first thought; can't picture going through these kind of boom/bust phases of pandemic lockdowns as a norm, it's not good for us mentally (let alone any other ways).

Hope you keep safe and keep taking care; I dunno how places like LA are going to get things back to normalcy but they need to, for real. Somehow we all got on the train for the wrong timeline, Skynet might've won after all. But there's still hope 💪

Dory16

Banned
Horrible timing. I am sorry to say, but talking about a day before the Sony event is not a good idea and this is coming from someone who's passionate about both consoles. Everyone will forget about this blog tomorrow. They should of posted this along with a July 1st party event or at least showed gameplay clip of Halo Infinite or a gameplay demo of some other 1st party game. Dumb marketing, dumb timing. Very sad. Still excited too see July event but this will not age well tomorrow.
This is not a new trailer or advert or an article in Wired. It's a post on the Xbox blog. Why would there be a good and a bad day for Xbox to write something on their own blog?
The clips and demos that you are talking about have been scheduled a long time ago and it would be reactive for MS to dish them out today just because Sony is holding an event (although not unprecedented). Sony didn't panic when MS revealed the box and the Hellblade trailer 6 months ago. Neither should MS now. They're both sticking to their own schedule and that's their right.

Dory16

Banned
Its weird, SX seems like a strong hardware offering, yet their messaging is so desperate to horn in on topics Sony is starting. It seems really weak to me.
You must live in an alternate reality. Sony hasn't started the topic of fixed sustained performance, VRS, DLi and 4 generation compatibility.
The truth is the opposite of your statement.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yeah, they are still chasing Sony. This time trying to latch onto the UE5 reveal hype.

Its weird, SX seems like a strong hardware offering, yet their messaging is so desperate to horn in on topics Sony is starting. It seems really weak to me.

giphy.gif

Dee_Dee

Excited for their July event. Hoping they learned from the May event and also do it in 4K instead of 1080p

Also is this considered the June info? That 20/20 xbox thing said info would be dropped all summer every month. Would be kinda lame that this is it since this isn’t new information.

Nikana Nikana I'm laughing so hard in real life right now

Excited for their July event. Hoping they learned from the May event and also do it in 4K instead of 1080p

Also is this considered the June info? That 20/20 xbox thing said info would be dropped all summer every month. Would be kinda lame that this is it since this isn’t new information.

I think this was just basically a blog post, not an event replacement, but I could be wrong (I am wrong all the time).

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
To be honest I don't blame them. PS5 will be talked about everywhere and be the most popular console by far especially if tomorrow's showing is great like we know it will be

Tbf MS have stumbled in their recent 'showing' portion.
They were doing great with their 'telling', the openess, the transparency, almost blog-like naivety.
I guess they needed to switch gears when it comes to showing, be a bit more sly and street-smart, dont show the plain janes.
They are young team, young do learn faster. :messenger_bicep:

CatLady

Pandemic/quartine has me watching movies and literally making gifs out of scenes in my head as I'm watching.

Did a marvel run, matrix run, Nolan Batman run.

I have more in the hopper...but can't use em all at once.

I LOVED it, about fell off my chair laughing. It is TOO perfect.

If you've got memes just sitting around, how about some Power King memes? Thread is needing some fresh material.

Top Bottom