• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox360: $50 Price Cut coming (weekend of 7/6)

Chiggs

AlStrong said:
How does that matter now?

Because I no longer own those crummy, scratched refurbs they sent me in exchange for my brand new units (edit: make that pristine; not new).

zaidr said:
So getting back to your warranty problem...they didn't refund you?

No, and I'm still seething about my experience. If anyone knows a sure-fire way to raise hell about his, I'm all ears.

FightyF

Banned
$100 price drop in 2.75 years for the 360.
$100 price drop in 1 year for the PS3.

knitoe said:
Microsoft should have dropped the price before GTA IV. Instead, all we got was talk about how summer was slow and not worth the move. Now, after sales have fallen behind the PS3, had no choice but to drop price. Microsoft needs to pro-active and act like market leader instead of just responding to the situation.

And I think that's why they will never be the market leader.

It's as if they under-estimated the impact of MGS4. Which is a pretty amatuerish thing to do.

Concept17

Angelus said:
Epic failure?
I can give you 3 billion reasons why price cuts don't help that much. Microsoft is making profit,I'm sure they're in no hurry to use the PS3 as a blueprint for price dropping.
Besides,they won't catch the Wii anyways, the gen. is already half over,its too late for that.
May as well stay the course.

For MS maybe...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Dax01 said:
The $100 price drop for the PS3 was absolutely necessary, and Sony is still losing money.

Last I heard it cost them $400 to make a PS3. That was several months ago, so it obviously has changed.

Kagari said:
Last I heard it cost them $400 to make a PS3. That was several months ago, so it obviously has changed.
Hm. I was under the impression that they were still loosing money on it because they are so resistant to a price cut this year.

Mrbob

Well hopefully there is a 50 dollar price cut across the board at the very least. I would like a HDMI enabled 360 arcade at $199.99. Oh and the Shane Kim self own quote is funny. Par for the course for him! :lol

MS probably expected GTA4 to move more than system than it did. On the flip side, it may be that MGS4 was a bigger system mover than they also expected. Of course people want to buy the 80GB PS3, and having MGS4 and the dual shock 3 included for $499.99 is a heck of a deal.

Talamius

I don't think price is as much of a factor as some may believe, but this will help. A little. Needs more value than that, re: post below.

burgerdog

Any idea how much gamestop gives for a 360pro? I know a friend selling his batshit ugly Halo 3 console for $250. I don't mind the ugliness, I just want the hdmi port on it :O Do you guys think it's a fair deal @ $250?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Even though Shane Kim's quote is hilarious and is yet another reason why these talking heads are best when silent, this is till a good thing for the 360 and should propel it along further than any other game has.

$300 is still not very cheap. I believe the majority of the PS2's sales came way below this price point.

Talamius

Mrbob said:
Well hopefully there is a 50 dollar price cut across the board at the very least. I would like a HDMI enabled 360 arcade at $199.99. Oh and the Shane Kim self own quote is funny. Par for the course for him! :lol

MS probably expected GTA4 to move more than system than it did. On the flip side, it may be that MGS4 was a bigger system mover than they also expected. Of course people want to buy the 80GB PS3, and having MGS4 and the dual shock 3 included for $499.99 is a heck of a deal.

If MS were smart, they'd counter with a 360 Premium with the Wifi adapter and Halo 3 packed in for $299. That might actually move some hardware.

TP

Thats good news, I was getting ready to buy myself a 360
but it that 60GB business is true then ill just wait for that

I think GTA4's underperformance in pushing hardware sales is the big factor. They probably could have held off until later in the year if it had boosted the HW sales numbers but it really didn't, which, let's be honest, surprised a LOT of sales-agers, too.

stotch

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Even though Shane Kim's quote is hilarious and is yet another reason why these talking heads are best when silent, this is till a good thing for the 360 and should propel it along further than any other game has.

$300 is still not very cheap. I believe the majority of the PS2's sales came way below this price point.

Shane Kim said:
Who knows? Maybe $249 will be a mass-market price point -- but historically, $199 has been when you're talking a PlayStation 2-like install base. 80 percent of the business gets done at $199 and below. We're like the other guys, right?

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3161223

This Shane Kim guy is awesome.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Dr. Zoidberg said:
I think GTA4's underperformance in pushing hardware sales is the big factor. They probably could have held off until later in the year if it had boosted the HW sales numbers but it really didn't, which, let's be honest, surprised a LOT of sales-agers, too.

One thing I noticed regarding GTA sales: Lots of people bought a 360, however, they were used, thus not counting toward sales.

Tron 2.0

JoshuaJSlone said:
Is it really that much odder than last year's early-August drop?
I think so.

Last year it seemed like a good preparatory step for Halo 3, which was released a month later. If they had done this in March or early-April before GTA4 dropped I don't think it would be so unusual.

Also, August led them into the Holiday buying season.

Talamius

Kagari said:
One thing I noticed regarding GTA sales: Lots of people bought a 360, however, they were used, thus not counting toward sales.

I noticed this too, for both the HD systems. When most people bought GTA4, they bought used systems. I wonder if our resident Gamestop workers have noticed a glut of people trading in systems as they complete GTA4 the way the Japanese seem to do.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Talamius said:
I noticed this too, for both the HD systems. When most people bought GTA4, they bought used systems. I wonder if our resident Gamestop workers have noticed a glut of people trading in systems as they complete GTA4 the way the Japanese seem to do.

Not really. Lots of people trading in 360s though for PS3s and MGS4 though :X

But really. Why spend $350 or even $279 when you can get a 360 used for $220?

fanduck said:
I honestly forgot that the 360 was more than $300. I think it needs to be even cheaper than that...

Same here. Ill jump in at 199, which was the GC launch price and the Xbox price after a year.

Odysseus

Banned
Dark FaZe said:
300$ for a 360 premium?

Absolutely no excuse not to pick one of these up. The software selection is really good and the new hardware changes are fairly solid as well.

I think this will be the 360's last price drop myself. If guys don't eat this up then its because they just don't want it for whatever reason. The price, hardware, and software is absolutely there at this point.

never go into business

jamesinclair said:
Same here. Ill jump in at 199, which was the GC launch price and the Xbox price after a year.

more like six months

gkryhewy

FightyF said:
It's as if they under-estimated the impact of MGS4. Which is a pretty amatuerish thing to do.

Are you serious? What impact is that, exactly? Come on. It's nice to see PS3 starting to do okay in the US, but really.

brigadeer

The price drop is great and all, but I still have to slap myself in the face to get myself to believe that this system is going on three years old, and just now got to the sub $300 price point.

It makes one wonder how long it will take them to get the system down to the sub $200 price point for mass adoption. I'm thinking by the time that happens, the Xbox 720 will be coming out.

spwolf

Kagari said:
Not really. Lots of people trading in 360s though for PS3s and MGS4 though :X

But really. Why spend $350 or even $279 when you can get a 360 used for $220?

why in the world would you buy used 360?

and how can price drop be an bad news?

Liquid

Banned
Tron 2.0 said:
What odd timing.

My first thought is that they should have done this before GTA4, not after. I can't pretend to know what they're thinking, but I would imagine that they weren't expecting to have to drop the price because there would be excessive demand due to the release of GTA4. When that didn't exactly go according to plan, they turned to a price drop to drive hardware sales.

most retailers have had a $50 giftcard from gta onward.

P90

Dark FaZe said:
300$ for a 360 premium?

Absolutely no excuse not to pick one of these up. The software selection is really good and the new hardware changes are fairly solid as well.

When that changes to "rock solid reliabilty" I'm in.

zaidr

B-Rad Lascelle said:
I won't correct the math here, but this line gave me a chuckle.

reading back through that, I guess I may have been a bit off on the math. :D . What I should have said was they have xbox support stations in two different regions. Some support staff clearly don't understand English very well and are lost most of the conversation, while others seem like they're clearly from North America and are a lot more knowledgeable.

jamesinclair said:

Me too. I won't pay a cent more than $199 for a 360. This generation's pricing is so awful.

GhaleonEB

beerbelly said:
Well, 50$ drop is ok.....then again, it's summer. There better be at least another 50$ price drop this fall.
That's what we said last year. Holiday bundle, don't count on another price cut.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
GhaleonEB said:
That's what we said last year. Holiday bundle, don't count on another price cut.

This, in my mind, proves that bundles are going to be in effect this year. The thing is, the Forza/Marvel bundle was huge. The proper game pairings should do similar numbers or better. I think that a Rare game should get a bundle along with an EA game or Activision again.

Pachter agrees with the price cut

Responding to recent rumours of an impending Xbox 360 price cut prior to E3, Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst Michael Pachter says that, realistically, it makes a lot of sense.

"Microsoft has historically been a price taker - meaning that they typically wait for Sony to cut first," Pachter told GamesIndustry.biz.

"However, they haven't been in the position of having a cost advantage before, as they do now."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/xbox-360-price-cut-makes-sense-says-pachter

FightyF said:
$100 price drop in 2.75 years for the 360.
$100 price drop in 1 year for the PS3.

And I think that's why they will never be the market leader.

Actually, if the 360 came out at $599 and sold like a turd, I'd say they would have dropped more than the PS3 did.

These prices are based on market response and not some kind of grand strategy based on a better understanding of consumers. :lol

Top Bottom