• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox360 Games on Demand: Are ANY of them worth their asking price?

Almost always Amazon is cheaper than steam, except for a rare steam sale on just the exact title you are looking for, and you get a real disc from Amazon that you can give away, sell, hold and hug, etc. Plus you dont have to install bloatware.
Having to find and insert the correct plastic token every time you want to play a specific game, isn't an advantage.

Well, you get it instantly and the sales are better. Sonic Generations was a little over £6 a couple of days back. A PC retail game that uses Steam doesn't require the disc once installed.

That's the point, you can lose the disc on a retail PC title. Can't do that on consoles which is why the digital versions are more convenient, on consoles.

Debating the merits of Steam is an entirely different thread but of course that never stops the master race whenever they get a whiff of digital distribution talk

lucius

Mass Effect is worth it for $20, other ones people mention already. I think paying 5-10 bucks more for digital version is ok, but most of On Demand games you can get like 12-15 dollars cheaper new from other places on sale so it is not really worth it IMO.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Isn't Deadly Premonition available on there as well ? If yes that definitely is.

Curufinwe

I paid $30 for Just Cause 2 in May and 75 hours of gameplay later I'd say it was well worth the money. Having a game like that on the hard drive is worth paying a slight premium for. It cost $27.99 on Amazon back then for a new copy, IIRC.

I'm considering getting Midnight Club LA soon but I'm not 100% sure if the GoD version is the Complete Edition which comes with all the DLC.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Mass Effect is worth it for $20, other ones people mention already. I think paying 5-10 bucks more for digital version is ok, but most of On Demand games you can get like 12-15 dollars cheaper new from other places on sale so it is not really worth it IMO.

NO.

I don't understand why folks say this. You don't get to resell it; you don't get a disc, a case, or instructions. Its only been this generation where the digital version can be more expensive than retail, and people say, "Hey, that's ok." The convenience of not putting a disc in is worth that much to you?

Don't get me wrong, I LIKE the convenience. I liked it so much that I tried to hunt down Gears of War 2 on CoD because I still play it that much, and I wouldn't have to take out Gears 3 if I want to play Gears 2. Then I saw that it was 20 bucks. If you search hard enough, you can find Gears 1, Gears 2, and the bonus scenario for Gears 2 for 20 bucks.

The only way I'd pay more than retail, is if I happen across MS points for cheap. Which I seem to miss a lot. :(

Valnen

With a 250GB HDD, they are worth their price to me. I like owning digital copies which I can boot up at any time. I only own a couple games, but I like the fact that I can run them on a whim.

Totally agree with this. I own a physical copy of RE5 Gold on PS3 and am considering getting a digital also just so I don't have to swap disks. It's a NICE feature.
You don't get to resell it
Is reselling a game for like $2 later on really worth it? I don't think so.

I was kinda tempted to download Enslaved at $19.99

Feels bad, man.

Did someone say that Microsoft never has sales on Games on Demand? Why's that? They do with XBLA games...

They are afraid of having additional swimming pools of money, and having happy consumers. You wouldn't want console gaming to be like steam where everything is awesome, would you?

UraMallas

Rock Band 3 is really hard to find and it's something like $45 on Amazon and rarely goes lower than $30. On Games on Demand it's $20.

King_Moc

Banned
That's the point, you can lose the disc on a retail PC title. Can't do that on consoles which is why the digital versions are more convenient, on consoles.

Debating the merits of Steam is an entirely different thread but of course that never stops the master race whenever they get a whiff of digital distribution talk

More convenience shouldn't equate to more money. Especially when it's also more convenient for the selling company. They've cut out the middle man and avoided shipping costs.

You could probably find Bully SE for cheaper than $20 used, but it is definitely worth $20 to me. I have said it in other threads: it's probably my favorite Rockstar game.

I got Mass Effect though Games on Demand when ME2 came out. I couldn't find a disk version cheaper at the time. Even used was over $20.

lucius

I am expecting the digital version of games next generation to be the same price as retail or cheeper or else I am going to still buy most my games on discs. I give away games to family friends more than trading in games so that will be missed for sure, no more sharing games.

I got Mass Effect though Games on Demand when ME2 came out. I couldn't find a disk version cheaper at the time. Even used was over $20.

Which is funny because the year before ME2 came out Mass Effect was going for like $9 used. I remember making a post on a forum telling them they can't not buy it at that price.

Whoa, Rock Band 3 has been added to Games on Demand? Well, that'll be my first and only purchase, then. I don't mind disc swapping, but by having this one game on the system, it'll cut my disc swapping in half, at least.

Crysis is the only On Demand game I own, coz it's not available in disc form.

I also have Burnout Paradise on PS3 coz it was on sale a few years ago and Infamous as part of Sony's "sorry for being hacked" package.

I only really bought Burnout Revenge because it was cheaper to download than to buy the disk.
With these codes coming out, it starting to get like steam though. I know I would have never bought Halo Reach, Alan Wake, Carnival Games and Gun Stringer otherwise

How does DLC or online passes normally included with retail copies work with Games on Demand? Like for Rock Band 3 or Burnout Paradise for example?

If I could send MS my physical copies of games for GoD download codes I would do it. I never trade or resell. I want the convenience of a full library of digital games like on my pc and phone.

PooBone

Assassin's Creed II
Battlefield: Bad Company
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Bayonetta
BioShock
Borderlands
Burnout Paradise
Burnout Revenge
Call of Duty 2
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood
The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
Condemned: Criminal Origins

Darksiders
Dead Space
Dragon Age: Origins
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
Gears of War
Mirror's Edge

Red Faction: Guerrilla

These are the ones you listed that I could look at and say, to any gamer of any test, these games are worth $20. Can you find them cheaper somewhere else, probably, but that doesn't change the fact that they are still worth $20. (especially the ones I bolded which can be a bit tougher to find now and are fuckin excellent)

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Plenty good on that list, most that can be found much cheaper elsewhere, yet the convenience can be worthwhile if you have the HDD space.

I still want to get Alice 2, but the GoD version is $40(same as current retail 'new' most places) but doesn't include the Code for Alice 1 which is bullshit. I got the Steam version for $8 during the sale, but I want Alice 1, achievements, and to play on my Home Theater without wrangling cords across the apartment from my PC. :/

If I could send MS my physical copies of games for GoD download codes I would do it. I never trade or resell. I want the convenience of a full library of digital games like on my pc and phone.

Yeah, this. I would love them to figure out some fashion of physical/digital copy management...if you buy the disc you can download the digital copy. i know this creates a million issues with buying the game, getting it downloaded then trading the disc in or giving it to all your friends, devaluing the game completely...but some kind of unique hash on the disc tying it to the console or a 1-time use code of some kind.

I have no allegiance to a plastic disc and plastic box it came in, but would love to have all my games on-demand on the box.

or just give us the game on demand at release...or let gamestop or whoever sell the game as just a download code (as ass-backwards as that is, keep them happy).

abracadaver

Bought Crysis and Metro

Will buy Gears 3 the day it comes out so I dont have to put the disc in anymore. Even at full price

Apath

You can get it for cheaper, but $20 is still a good price to pay for Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts. It's a shame we'll never see another Showdown Town-like level in a Rare game ever again.

Maybe I should trade in my RB3 disc and buy the GoD version. I really hate disc swapping.
Makes me regret spending $20 for the disc copy a few months back.

Kryten

Good tip on RB3, thanks guys. Here in NZ we get very few titles down at $29.95 but RB3 and Bayonetta are on that list along with Darksiders, which puts them lower than retail (and you know, actually available).

There's a lot of stupidity (we'll assume publisher driven), like Red Faction: Armageddon for $109.95 (no, I'm not making that up!) and Mortal Kombat for the same price.

Tales of Vesperia is actually worth around $30 used so it's actually not bad at that price.

Their discounts are garbage. As part of the Christmas sale they had Halo: Reach at £38 ffs. No shop sold it at that ridiculous price on launch day, nevermind a year and a half after release.

Their Christmas sale has been atrocious. They have tons of great games on XBLA and they're putting fucking map packs on sale. Complete waste.

Top Bottom