• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox360 Top50 Lifetime in Japan (Through to 2007 Dec 9th)

duckroll

From Famitsu Xbox360, so this is Enterbrain tracking:

01. Blue Dragon - 203,740
02. Dead or Alive 4 - 108,618
03. Ace Combat 6 - 83,045
04. Halo 3 - 82,987
05. Ridge Racer 6 - 73,501
06. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - 72,274
07. Trusty Bell - 70,244
08. Gears of War - 68,270
09. Dead Rising - 68,078
10. Lost Planet - 61,555

11. DEAD OR ALIVE Xtreme 2 60544
12. Lost Odyssey - 60,376
13. Idolm@ster - 48,695
14. Dynasty Warriors 6 - 44,292
15. Assasin's Creed - 41,436
16. Ninetynine Nights - 38,019
17. Forza Motorsports - 2 31,255
18. Rumble Roses XX - 29,187
19. Crackdown - 28,588
20. Culdcept Saga - 27,960

21. Earth Defense Force 3 - 27,087
22. Perfect Dark Zero - 26,085
23. Test Drive Unlimited - 25,788
24. PGR3 - 25,058
25. Beautiful Katamari - 24,186
26. World Soccer Winning Eleven X - 21,904
27. Armored Core 4 - 21,096
28. Dead Rising (Xbox 360 Platinum Collection) - 20,325 (total sales 88,313)
29. [eM] eNCHANT arM - 20,233
30. Saint's Row - 18,593

31. Rainbow Six Vegas - 18,592
32. Oneechanbara vorteX - 18,443
33. Need For Speed Most Wanted - 17,973
34. Bulletwitch - 16,241
35. Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 - 15,994
36. PlayOnline/Final Fantasy XI All-in-One Pack 2006 - 15,754
37. World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008 - 15,090
38. Idolm@ster (Xbox 360 Platinum Collection) - 14,864 (total sales 63,559)
39. Earth Defense Force 3 (Xbox 360 Platinum Collection) - 14,707 (total sales 41,794)
40. Final Fantasy XI Wings of the Goddess Expansion - 14,412

41. Call of Duty 3 - 14,194
42. Virtua Fighter 5 Live Arena - 13,169
43. Chrome Hounds - 13,110
44. Tenchu Z - 12,974
45. Project Sylpheed - 12,283
46. PGR 4 - 12,237
47. Viva Pinata - 12,184
48. Godfather - 11,670
49. Dynasty Warriors 5 Special - 10,957
50. Bulletwitch (Xbox360 Platinum Collection) - 10,857 (total sales 27,098)

Total sales, top 50 X360 software, lifetime: 1,818,924 units

Mandoric

Banned
11 DEAD OR ALIVE Xtreme 2 60544
12 Lost Odyssey 60376
13 Idolm@ster Namco Bandai 48695
14 Dynasty Warriors 6 44292
15 Assasin's Creed 41436
16 Ninetynine Nights 38019
17 Forza Motorsports 2 31255
18 Rumble Roses XX 29187
19 Crackdown 28588
20 Culdcept Saga 27960

Sean

Banned
Blue Dragon sold extremely well in Japan (for an Xbox 360 game). I think that's like a 50% attach rate isn't it?

Mandoric

Banned
31 Rainbow Six Vegas 18592
32 Oneechanbara vorteX 18443
33 Need For Speed Most Wanted 17973
34 Bullet Witch 16241
35 Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 15994
36 PlayOnline/Final Fantasy XI All-in-One Pack 2006 15754
37 World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008 15090
38 Idolm@ster (Xbox 360 Platinum Collection) 14864 (total sales 63559)
39 Earth Defense Force 2017 (Xbox 360 Platinum Collection) 14707 (total sales 41794)
40 Final Fantasy XI Wings of the Goddess Expansion 14412

klee123

Mockingbird said:
Makes me wonder why JP game publishers even bother releasing games for 360 in Japan.

Well, for certain games like DMC4, one can understand because of the potential Western sales, but it is indeed quite puzzling for the more niche games which appeal mainly to the Japanese market. The only explanation to this is that MS probably offered financial support for development or something.

icecream

Public Health Threat
klee123 said:
But it is indeed quite puzzling for the more niche games which appeal mainly to the Japanese market. The only explanation to this is that MS probably offered financial support for development or something.
Plus the more niche games weren't going to sell more anyways, regardless of platform so it's a positive situation overall for such companies. Then the larger 3rd party companies like Capcom/Namco look towards the western market for more sales, so it's not surprising the overall amount of 3rd party support for the 360.

jonnyram said:
Check software sales on Wii and PS3 and try saying that again.
But the PS3 at least has a lot more 100K+ sellers.

klee123

icecream said:
Plus the more niche games weren't going to sell more anyways, regardless of platform so it's a positive situation overall for such companies. Then the larger 3rd party companies like Capcom/Namco look towards the western market for more sales, so it's not surprising the overall amount of 3rd party support for the 360.

But the PS3 at least has a lot more 100K+ sellers.

But why the 360 tho? In terms of niche games, there are other better alternatives with a higher installed base. If the higher installed base of the 360 in US is the reason for devs like capcom to support it, then besides moneyhats/financial support, there is no point to make games for the system if you develop the more niche games which have no western appeal whatsoever. You mention that the niche games wouldn't sell any better for other consoles, but don't devs want to release games on a console with better potential sales? I mean, it's the reason why there western devs in general prefer the 360.

icecream

Public Health Threat
klee123 said:
But why the 360 tho? In terms of niche games, there are other better alternatives with a higher installed base.
They can't continue to release games for the DC/PS2 forever.

The installed base does not matter, there's always going to be just a set number of people dedicated enough to buy such a game and whatever the console needed to play it. These aren't games meant to have wide-appeal.

jax (old)

Banned
everything past 2 onwards is a clusterfuck of bomba. DOA4 only sold only a hair over 100k? How many of those games recouped the marketing costs?

wow. I'd like to see PS3 + wii LTD for japan.

klee123

icecream said:
They can't continue to release games for the DC/PS2 forever.

The installed base does not matter, there's always going to be just a set number of people dedicated enough to buy such a game and whatever the console needed to play it. These aren't games meant to have wide-appeal.

I dunno, considering that a lot of developers bitch about the rising development costs of this generation, you'd assume consoles like the 360/PS3 would be way out of reach for a lot of small companies. PS2 is still alive and kicking and the damn thing still outsells the 360 on a weekly basis in Japan. I'd say that devs can still support the console as long as it is viable.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
When i think about it it looks like LO will pass gears/dead rising/lost planet in sales and it outsold creed so i guess looking at it that way it not AS bad but seriously jpn this shi has to stop.

xbhaskarx

I predict those making "bomb based on total sales" comments are the same people who make "but good based on attach rate" comments in the NPD threads (and vice versa).

duckroll

FootNinja said:
When i think about it it looks like LO will pass gears/dead rising/lost planet in sales and it outsold creed so i guess looking at it that way it not AS bad but seriously jpn this shi has to stop.

LO will definitely outsell Trusty Bell at least, since Trusty debuted at 40k or so. But either way it's pathetic. :p

Kosma

Banned
I really don't understand why MS keeps trying in Japan, if they'd spend all that money in Europe this gen they could've had a shot at beating Sony over here.

MS really deserves some succes in Japan imho.

LiveFromKyoto said:
It means that everything sold terribly, Blue Dragon included.

200k for Blue Dragon in Japan is incredible not terrible.

Kosma if MS didn't try in Japan then they would also wouldn't be quite as strong as they are in the USA or even Europe.

360 sells like crap in Japan and yet look at the Japanese developer support and the dev support. I suppose people would prefer that the 360 simply not get Resident Evil 5, Ninja Gaiden 2, Devil May Cry 4 among other games.

Anyone saying MS should stop trying in Japan is, I think, ignoring how the japanese developer support has helped play to the 360's success thus far. Regardless what we may all think about Dead Rising or Lost Planet, had those games not been released for the 360 and performed as well as they did worldwide the 360 wouldn't be in as good a situation as it is right now.

I think the known Japanese titles actually help to give people more reasons for why they think a 360 would be a good investment, even if it wasn't the primary reason.

loosus

Banned
Seems like Microsoft needs to get even more games like the Blue Dragon vein. I mean, that game sold pretty well...and is there any evidence that it would've sold substantially better on another system?

Also, I think Microsoft really ought to give the 360 shell and GUI a redesign in Japan (designed by people WHO LIVE AND WORK THERE), sorta like how Nintendo did the original NES and SNES.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
loosus said:
Seems like Microsoft needs to get even more games like the Blue Dragon vein. I mean, that game sold pretty well...and is there any evidence that it would've sold substantially better on another system?

Also, I think Microsoft really ought to give the 360 shell and GUI a redesign in Japan (designed by people WHO LIVE AND WORK THERE), sorta like how Nintendo did the original NES and SNES.

They made the 360 casing for the liking of the Japanese. They walked around with the console unbranded asking people what they thought about it and people were responding that they thought Apple or Sony made it. Their problem is that Microsoft is not a Japanese company. For that reason alone, they will always sell like shit in Japan.

CowboyAstronaut said:
200k for Blue Dragon in Japan is incredible not terrible.

Blue Dragon's figures are bad in absolute terms. It really doesn't matter how you look at it, for a Sakaguchi game (or for what Sakaguchi's games used to be), it is a failure, both in critical acclaim and in sales.

typhonsentra said:
Dead or Alive 3 outsold Blue Dragon.
Source?

duckroll

Agent Icebeezy said:
They made the 360 casing for the liking of the Japanese. They walked around with the console unbranded asking people what they thought about it and people were responding that they thought Apple or Sony made it. Their problem is that Microsoft is not a Japanese company. For that reason alone, they will always sell like shit in Japan.

Apple's a Japanese company?

Philanthropist said:
Blue Dragon's figures are bad in absolute terms. It really doesn't matter how you look at it, for a Sakaguchi game (or for what Sakaguchi's games used to be), it is a failure, both in critical acclaim and in sales.

Source?

Well didn't the game beat or meet Sakaguchi's expectations sales wise for Japan?

Yea you're right duck 300k worldwide is pretty bad. Also philantropist who didn't suspect Sakaguchi's games wouldn't sell as they deserved to while being on the 360 in Japan? Were Blue Dragon a wii game it would probably be close to 1.7 million right now.

Weisheit

The Experiment said:
Pretty fucking terrible all around. Xenophobia FTL..

Even the DOA games on 360 sold less than their Xbox prequels.
Look, it's the proverbial idiot who makes the Japan are racist argument.

CowboyAstronaut said:
Well didn't the game beat or meet Sakaguchi's expectations sales wise for Japan?

Yea you're right duck 300k worldwide is pretty bad. Also philantropist who didn't suspect Sakaguchi's games wouldn't sell as they deserved to while being on the 360 in Japan? Were Blue Dragon a wii game it would probably be close to 1.7 million right now.

I don't know if it met Sakaguchi's expectations, but if it did, I bet his expectations worldwide were far higher. And I don't doubt it would have sold better on other Sony or Nintendo platform, although the review scores wouldn't have been much higher.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
duckroll said:
Apple's a Japanese company?

No, but the aesthetics of how they design their hardware reminds a lot of Japanese of Japanese companies.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2002276090_xboxdesign16.html

The story behind new Xbox design

Microsoft's Xbox team was sure of one thing when it set out to design a new console: If the system won the approval of Japanese consumers, then others would love it as well.

Microsoft hit the road again, testing the colors last December on focus groups in Japan, the United Kingdom and Texas. People felt the gray was wishy-washy and vague. Reaction to the white was extremely positive — particularly in Japan.

When people there were asked what company might have made the console, they guessed Sony or Apple. That thrilled Microsoft executives.

"The original Xbox was meant to make a much more aggressive, graphic statement, versus the more elegant statement the new design makes," said Bill Cesaroni, president of a Cesaroni Design Associates in Glenview, Ill. " I have no way of knowing what turned off the Japanese; however, I would venture to guess that this new design language will be successful."

Mandoric

Banned
The Experiment said:
Got a better reason? I'm all ears.

Horrible marketing, horrible early lineup, released into a declining market with two far bigger fish, emblazoned with the name of an utter failure?

cvxfreak

Lots of non-Japanese companies are successful in Japan and a day on the streets of Tokyo prove this. McDonalds, Starbucks, Louis Vuitton, Coach, Burberry and Apple's products are all quite ubiquitous and a part of everyday Japanese consumerist life. So's Microsoft with Windows, actually.

Those companies offer products and services in styles and flavors domestic Japanese companies don't. The Xbox 360 doesn't actually do that. It's got little to do with xenophobia and that's a tired, ignorant argument.

Top Bottom