• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XboxEvent.com just registered by the same company that did Xbox's E3 presentations

The fact of the matter is that Sony happened to have their unveiling first, if Microsoft were scrambling to respond they would have put their unveiling in March. Instead they are unveiling in late April, that doesn't sound like a company that is scrambling to respond to the competition.
I don't think it works that way, they would have all their chips lined up to be ready for a certain date. First party and third party demos need to be prepared by a certain date, tested, approved. Presentations, technology discussions as well as booking large scale venue need to be organised. All this stuff is done with a good level of preparation. Moving up the date would just be shooting themselves in the foot.

I imagine MS had some inkling Sony might pull a fast one and unveil early in the year just based on Vitas unveiling last year

Biggzy

I don't think it works that way, they would have all their chips lined up to be ready for a certain date. First party and third party demos need to be prepared by a certain date, tested, approved. Presentations, technology discussions as well as booking large scale venue need to be organised. All this stuff is done with a good level of preparation. Moving up the date would just be shooting themselves in the foot.

I imagine MS had some inkling Sony might pull a fast one and unveil early in the year just based on Vitas unveiling last year

Exactly. But Sony fanboys like to think that Microsoft are, at this very moment, scrambling a presentation to counter the PS4. This rumored April date would have been earmarked months ago.

Exactly. But Sony fanboys like to think that Microsoft are, at this very moment, scrambling a presentation to counter the PS4. This rumored April date would have been earmarked months ago.

Everybody needs to do their part in the upcoming console wars! Which have started early!

Let's completely twist the idea of the MS event in April as a reaction to the PS4 announcement!
A MS event in late April means MS wants to keep most of their cards close to their chest until after Sony has started the production of PS4 hardware.
:p

haha inbe4 reveal I7 octocore and quadruple sli 680GTX, Price and bills be dammed

Another important thing...they might actually want to show the console (I hope they do).

abadguy

Banned
Everybody needs to do their part in the upcoming console wars! Which have started early!

Things are already heating up before now before we even know what the PS4 will look like and Durango has shown even one single game. Imagine how it's going to be when both of these console are finally released!

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Just realised, if this date is true it's almost immediately after their financials.
Yeah, I thought about this too. The Fiscal Year 2013 Q2 was on the 24th of January so the Q3 presentation could be on the 24th/25th of April. Most likely though they will participate in some external finance/tech conference between now and that date. For example, they are presenting at the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media & Telecom Conference today (regarding Office though). So there could be comments about their Xbox business for the holidays earlier than April. And GDC is a good candidate for new, not necessarily official, information.

Troll

Banned

If anything Sony scrambled to be first. Based on contradictory statements by the CEO and how rushed the overall presentation was. I have no doubt they're scared shitless that they can't live up to what Microsoft has and they had to face the facts - The ONLY why they were going to get any hype was by being first.

lol5045qju.gif
someone needs to gif this picture up

Biggzy

If anything Sony scrambled to be first. Based on contradictory statements by the CEO and how rushed the overall presentation was. I have no doubt they're scared shitless that they can't live up to what Microsoft has and they had to face the facts - The ONLY why they were going to get any hype was by being first.

Kaz Hirai was being childish with his "we will let Microsoft go first because we don't want them copying us" comment. They definitely wanted to be first out of the gate, and it showed in the presentation, as it had pacing issues.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, they have deleted even more information from https://startfy14.com! The only thing present now is the date of the event. I guess they don't want a horde of GAF members poking around at Sheraton Hotel. I wonder if they have taken extra security measures against the hotel personnel as well.

There's still that party at Q Nightclub though, I wonder if that's invitation only.

START Party
Join us for this year’s party at the sleek, new Q Nightclub
on Thursday, March 7, from 8:00 PM - 12:00 AM.

Shuttles will leave the Sheraton Seattle Hotel every 15
minutes from 7:45 PM until 11:00 PM.

The last shuttle will leave Q for the Sheraton Seattle at
1:00 AM. Valet will be available at Q starting at 7:45 PM.

Q Nightclub
1426 Broadway – between Pike and Union
Seattle, WA 98122

I am looking forward to this event .
Should be better than Sony event since the had more time so better looking games and even more info about everything else.

ekim

mh... I got some JavaScript/XML parsing error for around 2 minutes on the site. Now it's back to "firefox cant establish a connection..."

odd

Proxy

Kaz Hirai was being childish with his "we will let Microsoft go first because we don't want them copying us" comment. They definitely wanted to be first out of the gate, and it showed in the presentation, as it had pacing issues.

lol. Truly delusional.

Proxy

For me the CEO of one of the biggest electronics companies in the world shouldn't be making statements that you find 11 year olds making at school.

"Why go first, when your competitors can look at your specifications and come up with something better?" Isn't exactly an unreasonable position. It's not like companies have never reacted to a competitors product before. But, hey, if you think Kaz was being childish then more power to you...

Biggzy

"Why go first, when your competitors can look at your specifications and come up with something better?" Isn't exactly an unreasonable position. It's not like companies have never reacted to a competitors product before. But, hey, if you think Kaz was being childish then more power to you...

And what did they do they went first, so I guess Microsoft are frantically going about Redmond copying every single feature of the PS4.

For me the CEO of one of the biggest electronics companies in the world shouldn't be making statements that you find 11 year olds making at school, especially as what he said was a pack of lies anyway.

Meh, it happens. Sony did it prior to this gen too and then followed it up by getting their ass kicked. Microsoft tweaks them as well. You're not alone in thinking that Sony rushed their presentation. It sure as hell looks like they did, but for what reason? Desperation? Confidence? No one knows.

Zaventem

And what did they do they went first, so I guess Microsoft are frantically going about Redmond copying every single feature of the PS4.

I hope they do.Everything they showed was top tier software wise.Only someone with a stick up their ass could think differently ( see multiple drones in this thread)

Biggzy

Meh, it happens. Sony did it prior to this gen too and then followed it up by getting their ass kicked. Microsoft tweaks them as well. You're not alone in thinking that Sony rushed their presentation. It sure as hell looks like they did, but for what reason? Desperation? Confidence? No one knows.

It's just something I didn't expect out of Kaz's mouth, as he is a smart guy. Look, I am not saying Sony's presentation was bad, I thought it was really solid and they have gotten people talking about the PS4.

I hope they do.Everything they showed was top tier software wise.Only someone with a stick up their ass could think differently ( see multiple drones in this thread)

There was a lot of interesting ideas discussed over Gakiai, but some of it was a bit vague over when we will actually get it.

It's just something I didn't expect out of Kaz's mouth, as he is a smart guy. Look, I am not saying Sony's presentation was bad, I thought it was really solid and they have gotten people talking about the PS4.

The presentation was bad. It was too long, showed a lot of nothing despite being too long, and seemed rather unfocused. They showed some good stuff, but the event itself was incredibly lackluster. Doing it that early gives them plenty of time to sharpen their focus at future events.

Biggzy

The presentation was bad. It was too long, showed a lot of nothing despite being too long, and seemed rather unfocused. They showed some good stuff, but the event itself was incredibly lackluster.

It was too long and they could have easily shaved 30 mins and still put out the same message. The worst part had to be SE: they showed the same tech demo as last year and got another guy out to announce that there will be a FF at E3, wtf.

At the rushed presentation talk lol Sony went above and beyond what most hardware reveals encompass and actually talked about the system overall and its social features (which are great by the way), showed first and third party games, and had actual live game play as opposed to what many other companies do showing only tech demos of things that never get realized in games. Yeah ppl are right they rushed it!!!!

Let me guess it was rushed because they didnt show a physical console hahaha. Kudos to Sony for giving us enough information but keeping a good amount for E3 thus making E3 a sort of second unveil and taking some thunder away from an Xbox unveil.

This is like chess you have to think several steps in advance and i believe Sony purposely didnt rush to make or show a console casing and saved it for E3.

Alx

At the rushed presentation talk lol

There are many things that lead to think that the presentation was rushed :
- the RAM upgrade was decided a few weeks earlier, and the Killzone presentation was running on old SDKs
- most of the third parties on stage didn't have anything new to show (Ubisoft : similar demo to last E3, Square : old video and "wait for E3", Bungie : "hi !... and bye !", Blizzard : a logo and an anouncement)
- other third parties were so "not ready" that they weren't there at all (EA)
- Media Molecule put a trailer together that didn't relate to a game or feature of the PS4, it was a demo for Move.
- The only feature they could demonstrate on stage was cross-play, which isn't really new. While the really interesting ones (sharing, gaikai, ...) were just mentioned.
- None of the features of the new DS4 (light bar, touch pad) were actually explained, probably because they didn't have software running it ready to be used.
- Same goes for the PS4Eye.

Izick

Is the EA and MS collabo thing a joke? I'm honestly asking because I thought EA just did a whole conference about their involvement with the PS4 yesterday.

Xbudz

Here's how you can type the symbol for "Infinity" very easily:

Hold ALT on your Keyboard, and on the Numberpad, press 2 3 6

∞

Bsigg12

Sony fans forget that MS where to reveal first too then they pushed back.

So you know the timeline for the Durango eh? When was this earlier event that was pushed back supposed to happen?

As it stands, the Sony event seems rushed. If Microsoft reacts to anything it'll be how they structure their reveal. 2 hours is too damn long to keep my attention or allow me to even remember everything that was said.

Top Bottom