• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XboxEvent.com just registered by the same company that did Xbox's E3 presentations

Doffen

Has Sunhi or Demonite posted something here yet?? Someone should call them.

They will probably wait until Microsoft release a teaser.

Another one from me:
iACRW4N6xAm2r.gif

Looking at the 360 reveal,dam they were ahead of their time at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK7l58Rdan0

Losing J was a mistake. That guy had a lot of great ideas at Microsoft.

All MS need is Panos Panay on stage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQddoyjef1k

I wonder if Microsoft will have had their Surface team working to design the chassis for the next Xbox. I wouldn't mind a VaporMg casing, with some slick looking new-age Microsoft design, too. The Surface is hot. Also, Panos is a boss, have him drop the 720 on stage to show its robustness.

Xbudz

Man, there's enough gifs in here to fill the first 2+ pages of the thread when Microsoft gives us the date we're all waiting for!

Biggzy

Microsoft has a lot of good heads over there in the gaming division still who know how important core gaming is to their platform and why it's their biggest factor to making their future console a success. I don't think they've sacrificed those values away at all, even if these past few years have been a bit low key on the big retail side and not having new IPs and releasing Kinect, I actually think they've played the most smartest way for their future. They lacked the infrastructure of multiple first party studios and relied on third party and Xbox Live as their way of ensuring dominance on the market while they looked at their flaws inside and resolve these. Rolling the past few years there are multiple new studios that have been built up and working on new IPs with a lot of talent that they were able to grab due to companies closing down and now has a strong and promising network for the future. If they can match similar hardware performance to the Playstation four to please developers and their own internal hardware heads then we're in for some interesting and exciting times. We all know what Microsoft is like when it comes to the first few years in a new console cycle. They are very competitive and money is not an issue to them for making sure they gain some interesting titles. Considering that the XBOX 360 was their only second console released and how they were able to obtain a huge amount of the home entrainment market with the other two and have built up a strong reputation is still mighty impressive given the other two pedigrees past as well. They've got a strong pipe line that can please all different kinds of audiences and can adapt to the changes that happen today, but core gaming is still an important core to the platform and they will not sacrifice or risk alienating that market by any means. They now know what works and what doesn't (rare for example) and have a lot of good talent and people to help keep it strong as it continues to go towards the future. Anything outside the core games to me that actually makes my home entertainment more better is just a great big bonus.

Sure they have the corporate American image that doesn't help perceive the companies image when it comes to some of the gaming community but I wouldn't even dare let that judge from what I have seen from their past efforts and what they have been up to in all areas and the people that still work there (Phill Spencer for example and all the excellent games has has brought and green-light to the platform with Xbox Live and a lot of second party titles and he's a very awesome and humble guy and has a lot of respect for Sony and Nintendo) just shows they shouldn't discarded.

As I have said previously, Microsoft has no intention of 'abandoning' the 'core gamer'. They want Durango to be the only device you will need in your living room for your entertainment needs: games, movies, tv e.t.c.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Microsoft has a lot of good heads over there in the gaming division still who know how important core gaming is to their platform and why it's their biggest factor to making their future console a success. I don't think they've sacrificed those values away at all, even if these past few years have been a bit low key on the big retail side and not having new IPs and releasing Kinect, I actually think they've played the most smartest way for their future. They lacked the infrastructure of multiple first party studios and relied on third party and Xbox Live as their way of ensuring dominance on the market while they looked at their flaws inside and resolve these. Rolling the past few years there are multiple new studios that have been built up and working on new IPs with a lot of talent that they were able to grab due to companies closing down and now has a strong and promising network for the future. If they can match similar hardware performance to the Playstation four to please developers and their own internal hardware heads then we're in for some interesting and exciting times. We all know what Microsoft is like when it comes to the first few years in a new console cycle. They are very competitive and money is not an issue to them for making sure they gain some interesting titles. Considering that the XBOX 360 was their only second console released and how they were able to obtain a huge amount of the home entrainment market with the other two and have built up a strong reputation is still mighty impressive given the other two pedigrees past as well. They've got a strong pipe line that can please all different kinds of audiences and can adapt to the changes that happen today, but core gaming is still an important core to the platform and they will not sacrifice or risk alienating that market by any means. They now know what works and what doesn't (rare for example) and have a lot of good talent and people to help keep it strong as it continues to go towards the future. Anything outside the core games to me that actually makes my home entertainment more better is just a great big bonus.

Sure they have the corporate American image that doesn't help perceive the companies image when it comes to some of the gaming community but I wouldn't even dare let that judge from what I have seen from their past efforts and what they have been up to in all areas and the people that still work there (Phill Spencer for example and all the excellent games has has brought and green-light to the platform with Xbox Live and a lot of second party titles and he's a very awesome and humble guy and has a lot of respect for Sony and Nintendo) just shows they shouldn't discarded.

Is there a good list of hires and studios MS has built up the past couple years to do first party games? I really haven't paid attention and curious who've they managed to get.

jmood88

You knew hey were going to try and spoil Sonys party.

The leaks will come thick and fast for he next month or so.

Gotta love how childish these companies are. This industry will never be taken seriously.
Do you only keep up with the gaming industry? Every industry has it's share of "childishness" (even though I don't believe that countering a competitor's announcement is being childish).

Okay so... dumb theory incoming (pure speculation)

- Xbox Ultimate sale which leads up to March 4th (may be nothing)
- Internal MS Xbox event (opening the kimono to some non-essential employees) between March 5 and March 7
- GDC is March 25-27

To me its a slam dunk that this is happening before GDC because they want developers to talk about it and bring more people in the loop. Also, Sony did a good enough press conference that they need to show developers who aren't in the loop that they also have a compelling offering.

My guess is its happening sometime between March 4 and 25. And if you put a gun to my head I think March 4 is probably the date. I don't think they'd hold these Xbox meetings unless the announcement had already happened or was within days of happening.

Again, Speculation: Invites go out next week, probably on Thursday Feb 28 with the event to be held Monday March 4. Why do I think this? They did the exact same thing with the Surface event and that got HUGE buzz because of the way they handled it.

Okay so... dumb theory incoming (pure speculation)

- Xbox Ultimate sale which leads up to March 4th (may be nothing)
- Internal MS Xbox event (opening the kimono to some non-essential employees) between March 5 and March 7
- GDC is March 25-27

To me its a slam dunk that this is happening before GDC because they want developers to talk about it and bring more people in the loop. Also, Sony did a good enough press conference that they need to show developers who aren't in the loop that they also have a compelling offering.

My guess is its happening sometime between March 4 and 25. And if you put a gun to my head I think March 4 is probably the date. I don't think they'd hold these Xbox meetings unless the announcement had already happened or was within days of happening.

Again, Speculation: Invites go out next week, probably on Thursday Feb 28 with the event to be held Monday March 4. Why do I think this? They did the exact same thing with the Surface event and that got HUGE buzz because of the way they handled it.

MS is not going to reveal Durango to the public before the internal MGS briefing. So after March 7th.

Izick

Looking at the 360 reveal,dam they were ahead of their time at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK7l58Rdan0

This is so genius, and I bet they're going to have something just as good (marketing wise) again for the Nextbox. Love em' or hate them, you have to admit Microsoft always has great marketing.

MS is not going to reveal Durango to the public before the internal MGS briefing. So after March 7th.

I don't think it will be before Gears of War: Judgement is released either, so after March 19th.

It'll be soon after because leaks will be everywhere after the internal reveal.

Before GDC is definitely a possibility here. You know there's going to be at least one guy who leaks the final specs / features anonymously to his friend at Kotaku.

Regardless, it's coming soon. Where there's smoke, there's fire.

The briefing is going to be to people who didn't really need to know about Durango yet in the first place though. The reason those people don't know is because they aren't too close to the project and they could be vectors for leaks. This stuff is being siloed so tightly I have a hard time believing they will spill the beans to employees so that those employees can then spill the beans to other people.

Remember that with the Surface there were TONS of people within MS who had no clue about it. Retail and Marketing did not kick off until well after the announcement. And that was a product launching far closer to it's announcement than Durango will be.

The briefing is going to be to people who didn't really need to know about Durango yet in the first place though. The reason those people don't know is because they aren't too close to the project and they could be vectors for leaks. This stuff is being siloed so tightly I have a hard time believing they will spill the beans to employees so that those employees can then spill the beans to other people.

Please note that one of the events at the internal MGS meeting is "XBOX PLATFORM [Durango] DEEP DIVE (INVITE ONLY)."

There would be no need for a "deep dive" event if the console was revealed prior to it.

Please note that one of the events at the internal MGS meeting is "XBOX PLATFORM [Durango] DEEP DIVE (INVITE ONLY)."

There would be no need for a "deep dive" event if the console was revealed prior to it.

I think its fairly reasonable to do that. They'd obviously go into a little more detail, and make sure people involved in selling the product know all of the features very well.

Again, pure dumb speculation. But having these meetings does not preclude the possibility of the public announcement preceding it.

I think its fairly reasonable to do that. They'd obviously go into a little more detail, and make sure people involved in selling the product know all of the features very well.

Again, pure dumb speculation. But having these meetings does not preclude the possibility of the public announcement preceding it.

Have you considered the fact that some the meetings may be briefings to prepare for the announcement?

It just doesn't make much sense to reveal, and THEN brief your employees, when you could brief your employees, and then reveal shortly afterwards.

Why would you surprise your own retail / entertainment partners when you could tell them what you're going to do beforehand...so they can prepare for the rush of interest from a public announcement?

But yeah, it's all conjecture. I have no idea what Microsoft's exact plan is going to be in terms of Durango reveal timing.

It's good to see Frankie find his way into a gif.

Good times. Microsoft was so ON at the time of the 360 reveal. OurColony was brilliant.

I just don't get that same feeling with the 720 though.

Probably because a lot of those people are gone now.

Ahead in what way exactly? That video to me looks like a very oldschool console reveal.

Contrast it with the Wii U reveal. I'll take old school over new school any day. Although short on games and console, PS4's reveal also blew Wii U's out of the water and was closer in tone to the old MS reveal (revealing specs features etc).

Have you considered the fact that some the meetings may be briefings to prepare for the announcement?

It just doesn't make much sense to reveal, and THEN brief your employees, when you could brief your employees, and then reveal shortly afterwards.

Why would you surprise your own retail / entertainment partners when you could tell them what you're going to do beforehand...so they can prepare for the rush of interest from a public announcement?

But yeah, it's all conjecture. I have no idea what Microsoft's exact plan is going to be in terms of Durango reveal timing.

Sony didn't have a presentation to a large conference room of Sony employees to create that PS Meeting and neither will Xbox. Its going to be back room meetings with guys like Aaron Greenberg, Don Mattrick, Phil Harrison, Steve Ballmer, a bunch of other guys who are high level on the Durango project, and one of their marketing agencies to help plan the Durango unveil.

Again, I think MS is just hellbent on secrecy since Windows 8 began, and I think thats gonna continue with this Durango event.

And yes, just pure conjecture. But I like doing this. In any event, I just can't wait for more next-gen stuff.

S1kkZ

Good times. Microsoft was so ON at the time of the 360 reveal. OurColony was brilliant.

I just don't get that same feeling with the 720 though.

back then, ms was really hungry. now, after 8 years of 360 they lost that hunger and replaced it with arrogance/over confidence, just like sony did 8 years ago.

i will end up with both consoles anyway, but i hope ms doesnt fuck it up too much.

Sony didn't have a presentation to a large conference room of Sony employees to create that PS Meeting and neither will Xbox. Its going to be back room meetings with guys like Aaron Greenberg, Don Mattrick, Phil Harrison, Steve Ballmer, a bunch of other guys who are high level on the Durango project, and one of their marketing agencies to help plan the Durango unveil.

Again, I think MS is just hellbent on secrecy since Windows 8 began, and I think thats gonna continue with this Durango event.

And yes, just pure conjecture. But I like doing this. In any event, I just can't wait for more next-gen stuff.

Except for that "The New Xbox" slipup on Microsoft's website. I'd say more people know about the project than you think.

Perhaps a more media-focused unveiling would warrant a larger meeting? Who knows.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Except for that "The New Xbox" slipup on Microsoft's website. I'd say more people know about the project than you think.

Perhaps a more media-focused unveiling would warrant a larger meeting? Who knows.
I thought that was a hoax. Wasn't it?

Top Bottom