• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#Xboxnoise - Kinectless Xbox Ones may have a problem?

JaggedSac

Has the games media picked up on this yet? If entire store stocks are affected, I would imagine it is only a matter of time.

x3sphere

Even if you open it, they can always repair it?

I realize that although I only really bought it in preparation for Sunset Overdrive, so I figure I might as well just return it and get the bundle when that comes out (hopefully with fixed units if it's a hardware issue).

I've had the kinectless X1 for a few months now, works perfectly. I don't have this issue and I've been through a lot of games already.

My Xbox One also made a weird noise when I first used it, right when I put in a disc it made a horrible noise. I don't know about now since I haven't used it since I bought it though.

Indiedevs

Banned
Someone made a list over at the official Xbox Support forum. So far:

The list:

Noise:

1407x

1408x

1411x

1414x

1420x

1433x

1416x

1425x

1427x

1432x

1424x

1434x

Model 1540?

No noise:

1419x

Doubtful:

1426x

Hip Hop

All I hear is the disc spinning when I'm not playing. Then it stops spinning after I start up a game.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
There are 5 million XB1s out there. Even the occasional 'isolated' case would seem magnified when it's all brought together in ONE thread.

Daniel R

I have a 1425X which exhibits the noise problem.

The noise can appear as soon as you plug it in or while doing the mandatory system update. The noise seems to only appear in the dashboard when idle and no game is suspended in the background.

If you manually completely exit the game from the dashboard (not suspended in the background) the noise immediately starts up again.

If you use the instant-on power mode, the noise is there even when the console is turned off!

The noise is a high frequency sound like an old harddrive working really hard or an old matrix printer. It is definitely not the sound of the harddrive working because as soon as you load a game from idle the sound disappears.

Some people say it is coil-whine sound.

Edit: I am currently waiting for an advance exchange and really hope i get a noiseless One.

Indiedevs

Banned
The noise is probably coil whining, yes.

The funny thing is that the noise goes away when launching a game, or when running some apps. It also goes away if you hold down the scroll button on your controller. The noise hits when the mandatory update hits 10%.

Footos22

I definitely agree. I have no idea why they're not explaining this better.

Everyone's opinion on such things will vary. The sound might even vary between units. Mine makes the sound when the Kinect isn't plugged in, but I'd say it's pretty minor. If there is any noise happening in the room I wouldn't notice it.

Glad ppl are bringing this up as in standby i can hear it. I have a kinect plugged in.
Its only recently though and was fine up until a week ago or so. Its quite quiet but i have resorted to hard shutting it down as i can hear it when im trying to go to sleep. Not a problem when the systems running though. Its probably still doing it but the tv sound completely eclipses it anyway.

If it was software, it would affect every single console.

Not necessarily, it could be a combination of specific hardware and firmware (since the issue mostly seems to be appearing after the initial update) that amplifies it, although it might also appear under different circumstances in isolated cases. It could also be a power supply issue that manifests itself in the console.

I've had mine since March, and I've been using it with Kinect without any such problems. After first hearing about this last night, I decided to test it out. I unplugged the Kinect and left the console idling on the dashboard for 25 minutes as I was getting ready for work. No strange sounds have appeared, there's just the usual very faint HDD/fan noise that you can hear when you're close to the unit.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Mine is fine.

Read my comment above ... but I have to say comments like this amuse the hell out of me. A problem doesn't have to effect 100% of the people for it to be described as a 'problem'. 999 out of 1000 could explode and that one lucky guy could come to a forum and type:
'Mine is fine.'

There are 5 million XB1s out there. Even the occasional 'isolated' case would seem magnified when it's all brought together in ONE thread.

Yeah this doesn't seem like a widespread case at all, if it was there would be more threads about it. Sorry to hear about those that are affect though, make good use of that warranty.

Forsythia

I have the same problem. Plugging in the Kinect doesn't solve the problem completely, though. I do hope it's a software issue which MS can fix. :/

Yeah this doesn't seem like a widespread case at all, if it was there would be more threads about it. Sorry to hear about those that are affect though, make good use of that warranty.

I have around 6-8 friends that bought Xbox Ones when it came out here in Sweden. About half report this noise problem. Reading on the forums proves that a lot of people are having it. Dismissing it as "not widespread" is the wrong thing to do.

Reading forum reports those who turn in their Xbox Ones are not guaranteed to get a silent console either, several have gotten new ones that make the exact same noise.

Yka

Xbox One buzzing/static noise (YouTube)

From the comments (bad grammar warning)...

Sir Avalon said:
i Found the problem. Its called Coil Whine (Coil Noise). Its a defecte coil on the mailboard (at the right lower corner under the heatsink).

On this Image on the top left, just right above the E.

http://mygaming.co.za/news/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/13-Xbox-One-main-motherboard.jpeg

It is resonating and reacts to processor load. This is why when you play a game the sound is changes or even is gone..

Fix is to put superglue on it, But then you will lose your warranty. (and is a hell of a job to do) if you have warranty, send it back to Microsoft.

v1lla21

My friend's Xbox does it. He doesn't seem bothered much by it since he uses headphones when he plays. I didn't know it was a somewhat widespread issue. I just thought he had banged it or something.

Read my comment above ... but I have to say comments like this amuse the hell out of me. A problem doesn't have to effect 100% of the people for it to be described as a 'problem'. 999 out of 1000 could explode and that one lucky guy could come to a forum and type:
'Mine is fine.'

That goes without saying, but it's generally a good idea for everyone to post their status and some info about their console so that we could get the idea of how widespread the issues are.

Vestax

Banned

Well, there's plenty of replies at the Xbox Forums. That's where the first reports of an issue would come out of, no?

Well, there's plenty of replies at the Xbox Forums. That's where the first reports of an issue would come out of, no?

Not to put too fine a point on it, but if you rely on support sites to get an idea of how many people are having issues, the answer's going to be "all of them."

gamercraig

Neo Member
Can confirm it is nothing to do with Kinect - I bought a model with Kinect just over a week ago and it had this same problem.
I returned for a refund even before reading it was a common problem, pleased I did. Will hold off buying another one for now.

_woLf

Same issue with my brand new Xbox One (madden bundle).

In addition to this, the screen will occasionally flicker a green horizonal stripe across the tv, and my controller will randomly lose wireless signal from the console and then instantly reconnect.

Magical Drop

Neo Member
I treated myself to an Xbox One last week (Kinectless version) and it had the hard drive whine thing. It was fine at the very start but half way through the mandatory update it started doing it - was even doing it in standby and it's unbearable.

I spoke to MS Support who confirmed that they knew of the issue and in the rep's words "we can fix this". Means they probably have a handle on whatever it is that's causing it. The system has gone off to them to look at, so it'll be interesting to see what they say when it returns.

Other than the noise the console seemed to work just fine and there was no signs of the drive actually failing in the short time I used it (unlike the first replacement WD SATA drive that I bought for my PS4 which died a spectacular insta-death).

Daniel R

The amount of reports from different parts of the world indicates that the problem is not isolated or miniscule. I'm afraid that many people will think this is normal behavior and not report or try to do anything about it.

It could also be that the recent release in countries with other electrical systems meaning other PSU's and possibly other components have exposed the flaw in a different way.

It is my belief that this issue will grow in the coming weeks requiring an official statement from Phil or MajorNelson.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What on earth? What could possibly cause the system to make noise only when the Kinect isn't plugged in? That doesn't make any sense at all.

I've never heard anything like it. I just tried unplugging the Kinect and running the system; no clicking or strange noises at all.

I do believe that people are having this problem, of course, but the idea that simply unplugging Kinect would cause the issue is baffling to me.

Daniel R

I think post #77 nails it.That makes a lot of sense and is in concensus with the reports I've read on different forums.

I've wanted an Xbone since the Kinectless models went on sale. I went through 4 from Amazon. After the 4th, they told me I needed to take a refund because they couldnt continue to replace the units. I then took my business to Target. After the 3rd one at Target, I got another refund and essentially just gave up. I tweeted Phil, Major, Albert about the issue many times. Ignored. I posted a thread about my experience at the Xbone sub-Reddit and it got downvoted out of existence. So come mid-June and I was done with MS for good.

I feel a claim like this needs to be backed up as it's simply too unbelievable.

To go through 7 XBox Ones in the space of a month? Seems hard to believe...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I think post #77 nails it.That makes a lot of sense and is in concensus with the reports I've read on different forums.
That makes more sense but I shouldn't be related to Kinect unless it's simply Kinect putting more of a load on the system resulting in a different thermal state.

I've wanted an Xbone since the Kinectless models went on sale. I went through 4 from Amazon. After the 4th, they told me I needed to take a refund because they couldnt continue to replace the units. I then took my business to Target. After the 3rd one at Target, I got another refund and essentially just gave up. I tweeted Phil, Major, Albert about the issue many times. Ignored. I posted a thread about my experience at the Xbone sub-Reddit and it got downvoted out of existence. So come mid-June and I was done with MS for good.
Were they broken or did they simply suffer from the noise being described here?

Fox Mulder

I heard it after hooking it up and updating, and it did sound like a HDD. I haven't heard it since though, maybe because I've had a game in the drive the whole time?

this is a very minor issue and nothing worth getting worked up over, especially if they can just fix it with an update. Nothing is broken as the console works fine.

Top Bottom