• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xboxone Resolutiongate (Eurogamer)

Dragon

Banned
Aaron's tweet was technically correct. I think he thinks it doesn't really matter. As multiple journalists have reported, XB1 and PS4 games look nearly indistinguishable from each other.

Certainly MS should admit they have a less powerful console and move forward with what they do have. I think it would be more favorable to them.

haha.gif

Aaron's tweet was technically correct. I think he thinks it doesn't really matter. As multiple journalists have reported, XB1 and PS4 games look nearly indistinguishable from each other.

Certainly MS should admit they have a less powerful console and move forward with what they do have. I think it would be more favorable to them.
Wow. Keep drinkin' that Kool-aid. Do you know what disingenuous means? Because that tweet is a textbook case of disingenuous phrasing.

And why does every face-off article state that the PS4 version is better, if it's nearly indistinguishable? Whatever lets you sleep at night, I guess.

Not at $100 more than the competition is it favourable to them

And no one remembers 4d gaming at 120 fps?

Those were two seperate quotes from Ken Kutaragi, he didn't say 4D at 120fps, but each individually. Now, I have no idea what the fuck "4D" in gaming would even look like, but as to 120fps in PS3 games... that much ended up being true. Example:

Super Stardust 3D at 720p120fps

Krazy Ken got vindicated on that score at least. Still dunno what 4D is supposed to look like though.

Or Toy Story graphics?

Apparently you don't remember this one too well, as that was a Microsoft quote relating to the OG Xbox.

Fukn lool

As multiple journalists have reported, XB1 and PS4 games look nearly indistinguishable from each other.

You know the best part of this post? In it's in a thread with this in the op

At last week's Battlefield 4 review event in Stockholm, we noted that the resolution change from one version to the next was obvious to many of the press in attendance, with some even suggesting on-site that the PS4 version was operating at native 1080p when its actual resolution was 1600x900.

I think we're all being trolled guys

I suppose that it was just convenient last generation that the Xbox 360 was, in fact, the better console overall, from a technology standpoint and otherwise.

but this wasn't even true. Sony stumbled out of the gate in '06, but late 07 onwards they were amazing with PS3. at a time where X360 didn't have built in wifi ($100 separate wifi adapter), didn't have a controller charger, only 20GB harddrive, paid online, rrod problems...ps3 came out with a system that had bluray, built in wifi, a whole bunch of physical media ports, controller charger, and free online. First party games showed off the real power of the system and 3rd parties got better at making games for it. They consistently started putting out great exclusives. And somehow, launching a year later while being $200 more, PS3 has outsold the 360 worldwide.

if you are only talking about america, then yes 360 has 'won' in sales, and maybe thats why its mostly the american journalists that are defending the X1.

900x900px-LL-0244ee12_larry-david-faint1qqx.gif

viveks86

Glad you're admitting that MS is being disingenuous.

Aaron's tweet was technically correct.

Do you know what 'disingenuous' means? Being technically correct isn't the point. Do you or do you not agree that the statement is disingenuous. If you don't know the meaning, please look it up and get back to me.

I think he thinks it doesn't really matter.

If he thinks it doesn't really matter, then why is MS trying so hard to sell the 1080p upscaling story in the first place. If it doesn't matter, there is no need to talk about upscaling, right?

As multiple journalists have reported, XB1 and PS4 games look nearly indistinguishable from each other.

What about the other journalists who have been reporting the difference (including the OP for crying out loud!)? Are they making shit up? Is a majority of people on Gaf making shit up as well? Why would so many of us do that? Deluded fanboyism? A yes or no answer would do, if you don't want to explain yourself.

Finally a statement that resembles some degree of sanity. Thank you for that!

I'm sorry, you were talking about rose-tinted glasses a moment ago? Please continue that thought.

dolabla

Which journalists said this? Most people that saw BF4 running on both consoles said the PS4 version looks better and it's noticeable.

All you have to do is set up a TV with an Xbox One about 100 feet away from you, then set up a complex periscope like set of mirrors. Infinite graphics.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
What a fucking second, when did Patrick start deciding the value of news in relation to how it affects him?
Well he clarified a bit on his tumblr:

For example, in retrospect, should I have published a story that least mentioned the resolution difference in Call of Duty: Ghosts? Probably. The reason one didn’t go up on the site wasn’t conspiratorial, I just didn’t get around to it, and doing so now wouldn’t serve any newsworthy purpose, and would only become a ground for people to sling mud at one another. That moment has passed. Could I still work on a feature on the longterm impact of the hardware differences? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I stumbled on this at reddit and ow my brainnnsssss

Throwing numbers around a rendered image is incredibly stupid. A rendered image is supposed to look good. As long as it looks good there is no need to discuss how it is generated.

I really don't think this is much of an issue on the XO. When you start arguing about numbers regarding a rendered image, you need to abandon the console market and get a computer. Game console are all about looking good.

You can argue 720p vs 1080p all you want, but 99.99% of your consumers can't tell the difference or don't care to acknowledge it.

What a fucking second, when did Patrick start deciding the value of news in relation to how it affects him?

From his tumblr:

Really enjoying all the content you put out. The weekly bombast and the podcasts you release really make my drives to and from work worth while. How do you deal with all the haters?
trauma2dah3ad asked
I’m not sure I would classify them all as “haters.” Sometimes people are louder than they need to be, hoping they will be heard. Part of the reason I have this Tumblr is to be transparent, and give people an outlet to have a conversation with me. Sometimes we’ll agree, sometimes we won’t. That’s OK. But it’s here so that I can try and explain myself, even when I’m wrong and have to own up to that.

For example, in retrospect, should I have published a story that least mentioned the resolution difference in Call of Duty: Ghosts? Probably. The reason one didn’t go up on the site wasn’t conspiratorial, I just didn’t get around to it, and doing so now wouldn’t serve any newsworthy purpose, and would only become a ground for people to sling mud at one another. That moment has passed. Could I still work on a feature on the longterm impact of the hardware differences? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

I think (or hope, at least) he gets that the "I don't own a 1080p TV so I don't care" comment was dumb. "I just didn't get around to it" isn't great either but baby steps, I guess.

Nozem

IIRC, Kutaragi never said the PS3 would do 4D. He said the concept of the PS3 was 4D, like 3D games as the PS2 but with an extra layer/dimension of network connectivity. But of course its more fun to go LOLOLPS3DOES4D!

If someone could find the exact quote that would be great, 2006 is a long time ago and I can't remember exactly.

I can hardly wait to hear the sales pitch from the sales associates located in the MS areas in Best Buy. I bet Aaron's genius will be quoted. It'll be fun rattling their cages.

Windforce

but this wasn't even true. Sony stumbled out of the gate in '06, but late 07 onwards they were amazing with PS3. at a time where X360 didn't have built in wifi ($100 separate wifi adapter), didn't have a controller charger, only 20GB harddrive, paid online, rrod problems...ps3 came out with a system that had bluray, built in wifi, a whole bunch of physical media ports, controller charger, and free online. First party games showed off the real power of the system and 3rd parties got better at making games for it. They consistently started putting out great exclusives. And somehow, launching a year later while being $200 more, PS3 has outsold the 360 worldwide.

if you are only talking about america, then yes 360 has 'won' in sales, and maybe thats why its mostly the american journalists that are defending the X1.

900x900px-LL-0244ee12_larry-david-faint1qqx.gif

hahaha lol!!

I'm pretty sure 4D was a reference to a game changing with time. Crazy Ken took it a bit far thinking the game would be a living and breathing world changing like the real world changes with age. But we are all enjoying games now that go through many transitions from their release: patches, new game modes, even player-generated content, that weren't happening on the previous generation.

RedAssedApe

Banned

Rule of two I guess. It was only a matter of time before SenjutsuSage picked up a sith apprentice.

rjinaz

Rule of two I guess. It was only a matter of time before SenjutsuSage picked up a sith apprentice.

Ha this makes me want to see a 720p gif with the scene from The Empire Strikes back with Luke and Vader. The "I am your Father" scene with Luke screaming no it's not true and then jumps. Vader would represent the Xbox One and 720p.

I wish I had gif making talent.

thought this comment on GB was spot on
http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/bombin-the-a-m-with-scoops-and-the-wolf-11-01-2013/2300-8147/
kmT6UKX.png

This is after Patrick said it wasn't worth a news story because he doesn't care because he doesn't have a 1080p set, along with Brad saying "normal" customers don't care (well, who exactly is GB targeting?).

What the fuck? Why do they even bother recording their footage in HD? This is fucking idiotic coming from the so-called "press".

Top Bottom