• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Closer Look at How Xbox Series X|S Integrates Full AMD RDNA 2 Architecture

Wrong about Xbox being RDNA 1.5

Guys only have an issue with calling out "fud" on their console of choice. I bet you, one moron tweets "Xbox tf are gcn not RDNA2" and some morons will believe it without question.
Nnk
/edit
Sorry, my phone slipped and I dunno how this post happened. I had a Covfefe moment. Lol. Commence with the thread.

Last edited:

BeardGawd

Banned
Where is this from ?

My hunch here on this is that XSX and XSS have a more complete programmable Front end with mesh shaders (vs. the older primitive shader type), the Hardware VRS, and the technical hw required for the next Version of tiled resources, which is called Sampler Feedback. And I think, without saying positviely for certain, that that is why MS was so keen to make those features so prominent in their pre-release Material in the Xbox Series X. It was their hardware Feature advantage, they knew it, so they advertised it - just like how they advertised stable clocks as a thing even before Sony described the dynamic clocks to the public.

Will these advantages of a complete RDNA2 vs the PS5 GPU half way point matter? Probably.
By a lot? Meh. Let us wait for the games. And for the games over time. I think the raw flop and bandwidth will matter the most at first though as the other Features, should they prove limited to just XSX and XSS, require dedicated peogramming time to take advantage of. And multiplatform games do not always spend the resources to do that even. Unlike a faster GPU, which is just faster.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Please, have a better look at this bigger image from the SeX SOC:

qydvxI1.jpg

It's not there, it's simply not there!
Like I said cache is easily identifiable by eye, and I can't see this extra amount of cache here.
There's only one alternative, only one alternative that I'm willing to accept. Look at this:

xpnkFO1.jpg

See that bottom part below the CUs?
My alternative to this controversy is that Microsoft was forced by AMD to hide the Infinity Cache and it's in the "cropped" bottom from their die shot.

But still, why Microsoft didn't revealed the trick today with this news?
Where did you get this die shot?

geordiemp

Ah so its a dictator guessing on Era. Bet he would not post that at B3d lol

We will get some betrer hardware coverage soon.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Please, have a better look at this bigger image from the SeX SOC:

qydvxI1.jpg

It's not there, it's simply not there!
Like I said cache is easily identifiable by eye, and I can't see this extra amount of cache here.
There's only one alternative, only one alternative that I'm willing to accept. Look at this:

xpnkFO1.jpg

See that bottom part below the CUs?
My alternative to this controversy is that Microsoft was forced by AMD to hide the Infinity Cache and it's in the "cropped" bottom from their die shot.

But still, why Microsoft didn't revealed the trick today with this news?

Its 5 MB scaled with Gddr6 PHY.

TUVymfS.jpg

I am not sure what anyone is suppose to feel about this. At this point namedropping doesn't do anything, it is time to see results. Much like how PS3's Power of the Cell was basically theoretical and didn't get utilized for most of its life.

Just show the games that you are suppose to run and let people judge for themselves.

geordiemp

So infinity cache is not RDNA2? Something isn’t adding up here. Always the same with MS.

Yes infinity cache is rDNA2 thats too expensive cost for both consoles.

Ps5 could not afford more CU than 40 with fast gating

XSX could not afford frequency gating per CU with 56 CU

So both are lacking.

Compromises are consoles. Both cut a different cloth. PR is PR.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
"My hunch here"

Is this the same one that told him that PS5 would not have Hardware RayTracing?

watch the wording guys. English is tricky

"Xbox Series X|S are the only next-generation consoles with full hardware support for all the RDNA 2 capabilities AMD showcased today "

XBX has full hardware support for all RDNA2 capabilities, i.e. DX12U + FidelityX. nothing new here. we all knew about it. but It doesn't even run at the game clock, let alone boost clock. It's funny that AMD needs to show the base clock of 6800 instead. AMD GPU has three clocks, base, game and boost. XBOX is running at the minimum clock of 6800. no nextgen game should run at that clock on RDNA2 on PC. something is weird there.

We also knew PS5 took some features out. So the statement is definitely true. not sure why everyone acted as if it is huge news.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned

"Xbox Series X|S are the only next-generation consoles with full hardware support for all the RDNA 2 capabilities AMD showcased today "

XBX has full hardware support for all RDNA2 capabilities, i.e. DX12U + FidelityX. nothing new here. we all knew about it. but It doesn't even run at the game clock, let alone boost clock. It's funny that AMD needs to show the base clock of 6800 instead. AMD GPU has three clocks, base, game and boost. XBOX is running at the minimum clock of 6800. no nextgen game should run at that clock on RDNA2 on PC. something is weird there.

We also knew PS5 took some features out. So the statement is definitely true. not sure why everyone acted as if it is huge news.

Consoles typically have lower clocks than PC parts due to their smaller power draw and thermal envelope. Additionally, these are APUs and not dGPUs, so lower clocks are to be expected no matter the form factor.

geordiemp

Consoles typically have lower clocks than PC parts due to their smaller power draw and thermal envelope. Additionally, these are APUs and not dGPUs, so lower clocks are to be expected no matter the form factor.

They are lower clocks if you dont ahve specfic CU desigend with frequency gating. It tells you clearly how they acgiev the fast clocks.

No, a fixed 1.825 Ghz is not the same, but the money MS saved by skipping the fancy clocks and fast CU design allowed them more CUs with the console budget.

Also a long 14 CU array is not a short efficient data path on silicon (point 3 on slide). All fast chips have 10 CU.

2 ways to skin a cat. MS will be happy with their choice for server and XSX.

NeXq7Se.png

Last edited:

Redlight

Big news.. but will it matter, have Sony done their own equivalents of those missing features? Interesting times
It certainly won't matter when Geordiemp is done with 'massaging' the facts. :)
You are mostly right, only that this shit goes both ways, not only Xbox fans, PS too.
This wouldn't be much of an issue at all if the hardcore Sony fans hadn't nominated 'full RDNA 2' as a hill to die on.
Some of you guys completely miss the point. Both consoles will mostly have parity besides maybe one with a better framerate or higher res or even better rt.

The point is the majority of people have been in the spec thread saying Xbox is RDNA 1.5 and that apparently today some secret sauce for ps5 would be unveiled.

The opposite happened. What was already known to everyone besides some fanboys was confirmed. Xbox is RDNA2 and no Ps5 secret sauce.

Guys are way too bent out of shape over this. The ones who were wrong just admit it and move on.

There will be no admitting. No-one in the spec thread was wrong you heretic! Instead definitions will change, goal-posts will be moved and the circus will move onto a new town.

Yes infinity cache is rDNA2 thats too expensive cost for both consoles.

Ps5 could not afford more CU than 40 with fast gating

XSX could not afford frequency gating per CU with 56 CU

So both are lacking.

Compromises are consoles. Both cut a different cloth. PR is PR.

Are you sure?
Because in the last week the sight of the PS5 GPU was "another proof":

4so2vqs82or51.png

See how long it is? People speculates that it's because of large amount of cache. However there's still doubt if this cache if the Infinity Cache for the GPU of if it's for the IO subsystem (Cerny himself said that the SOC have "generous amounts of cache").

Allandor

So, rumors about Sonys custom RT solution might be true.
And the other features were already hinted in the xbox presentation that those are patented solutions, so Sony must have RDNA 1 featureset or some custom solutions for things (like RT). Explains why they still use the older version of the newer "mesh shaders". Must not be worse or better, but makes comparisons a bit more challenging ^^

btw, extra cache (like AMD infinity cache solution) is also a good way to increase chip size for better heat distributions without increasing the risk of chip failures (because sram is easy to fabricate and can easily have redundant parts to decrease chances of a bricked chip).

Last edited:

BeardGawd

Banned
If you guys think this is good just wait until you realize that AMD and MS's DLSS alternative basically makes the Series S on par with the PS5 at 1440p and at $100 less to boot.

I'm only half way joking but I do hope MS develops a competent solution here.

Concern

It certainly won't matter when Geordiemp is done with 'massaging' the facts. :)

This wouldn't be much of an issue at all if the hardcore Sony fans hadn't nominated 'full RDNA 2' as a hill to die on.

There will be no admitting. No-one in the spec thread was wrong you heretic! Instead definitions will change, goal-posts will be moved and the circus will move onto a new town.

I'll just respond with this gem here. Pushed this event so hard then avoided this thread like the plague lol.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
If you guys think this is good just wait until you realize that AMD and MS's DLSS alternative basically makes the Series S on par with the PS5 at 1440p and at $100 less to boot.

I'm only half way joking but I do hope MS develops a competent solution here.

If DirectML SuperResolution is working by late next year, ill be spooked as shit.
But that will give the Series S such a damn boon.....hell the Series X will likely have a Framerate mode for every game where SuperResolution mode is used to get to 60/120fps where the competition without SuperResolution would need to find other ways to get there.

Kagey K

Banned

I'll just respond with this gem here. Pushed this event so hard then avoided this thread like the plague lol.
Imagine pretending today was going to be some sort of Day of Reckoning and telling the entire forum today was they day we were going to see how 10>12 for weeks, only to end up with this thread being made instead.

There are 3 or 4 guilty of it, the smart ones are laying low while others double down.

Stuart360

Imagine pretending today was going to be some sort of Day of Reckoning and telling the entire forum today was they day we were going to see how 10>12 for weeks, only to end up with this thread being made instead.

There are 3 or 4 guilty of it, the smart ones are laying low while others double down.
He he, all the 'so close now' and constant RDNA1 fud in the safe space thread. Love it lol.

Last edited:

Always the same people and i know exactly who you are referring to without even naming them.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Do we have any comparisons between SuperResolution and DLSS? If the Series S/X has hardware support for that and the PS5 doesn't, and it's as good as everyone has been saying DLSS is, that would be a megaton, since now no one cares about native resolution and actively campaigns against native 4K now.

Concern

3 or 4? More like 34 of these armchair engineers lol. Just shows you can't listen to anything these fanboys say.

Even posting disingenuous screenshots of df videos and etc. They should be banned for spreading garbage like that.

MrFunSocks

Banned
3 or 4? More like 34 of these armchair engineers lol. Just shows you can't listen to anything these fanboys say.

Even posting disingenuous screenshots of df videos and etc. They should be banned for spreading garbage like that.
My ignore list is up to 54 people and I only add the worst of the worst. Every potentially positive xbox thread I go in now is missing 3/4 of the posts because those people always dominate them with concern. Most of the negative FUD Xbox threads from the thread lists are also hidden unsurprisingly lol.

gamer82

is anyone else bored of the .... measuring and just here for the games lol

i do not get being a fanboy to one console your missing out on games that you claim to have an interest in.

Probaly paying on said console you so despise , dramma ..... everyone loves the DRAMA :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Blond

Banned
Meh if I cared about specs this badly I would build another PC which just isn’t in the realm of possibility right now with school and work promotions. But still, Can anyone TLDR a largely PlayStation gamer and casual PC gamer (Diablo 3, board game and city builders) what on earth this even means?

Ah so its a dictator guessing on Era. Bet he would not post that at B3d lol

We will get some betrer hardware coverage soon.

Hey man this might help you accept whatever the hell any of this news means. It’s literally plastic and metal, bro.

leJDxgC.jpg

longdi

Banned

Xbox is running at the game clocks of 6800. You get your eyes checked. Stop following Geordieboy FUD attempts.

Also 6800 is rated at a reasonable 250w, whereas the 2ghz game clocks sku have 300w ratings.

Also does the `up to` wording, AMD appended to boost clocks look familiar to you?

Last edited:
Sorry, we all know that XBOX in theory has more TF and should be faster, but everyone assuming that based on the information that only XBOX has full RDNA2 integration, is just a fanboy. No one knows what it means, it is possible that Sony removed some features because they felt they are not required or they have their own similar features.

Only time will tell, if it means something for the performance, but I assume that if Sony wanted full RDNA2 implementation, they could have, so they must have their reasons for not having it.

Concern

My ignore list is up to 54 people and I only add the worst of the worst. Every potentially positive xbox thread I go in now is missing 3/4 of the posts because those people always dominate them with concern. Most of the negative FUD Xbox threads from the thread lists are also hidden unsurprisingly lol.

I don't really like the ignore function tbh. Its like sweeping shit under the rug. No matter what you do, the shit it still there.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I don't really like the ignore function tbh. Its like sweeping shit under the rug. No matter what you do, the shit it still there.
Yeah but some of these people have 10k+ posts of just constantly shitposting against MS, not even hiding it, so they clearly aren't getting banned. This is the only solution, as without using it this place is 10x more toxic and still proof of why the SonyGAF nickname came about and still sticks around. It does make following some threads hard though when people appear to be talking to no one cause they've quoted an ignored poster haha. I showed ignored posts in here so i could report the blatant console war posts. How people like ethomaz, geordiemp, thelastword, jimbojim, and all the other guys with "report me for trolling MS threads" haven't been banned permanently I don't know. To get that tag surely everyone realises that they aren't going to change?

But still, Can anyone TLDR a largely PlayStation gamer and casual PC gamer (Diablo 3, board game and city builders) what on earth this even means?

AMD have their new GPUs that have a set of features both software and hardware that make up their RDNA2 architecture. The Xbox Series S/X support every one of those features, both software and hardware, meaning their APU has the hardware features to do the machine learning super sampling, raytracting, variable shader rates, etc. The PS5 does not support all of these features, so it's not a "full" RDNA2 APU. That's not to say that they can't do everything that the Xbox APU can, but if it does it would have to be through custom hardware or software. The problem with that is if AMD were making these APUs for Sony, and Sony's custom stuff was better than the RDNA2 feature that they're replacing, then why wouldn't AMD just do it that way instead? It doesn't really make sense. Sony have also been mum on if the PS5 has some features like Variable Shaders, Machine Learning, etc. That silence generally means that no, they don't have those features. The Super Resolution thing could be a massive win for MS if it's anything like nVidia's DLSS, as it would allow Xbox to render at lower resolutions and then use machine learning upscaling to hit 4K with supposedly very little visual difference. Rendering at a lower internal resolution would then allow devs to use more power on the graphics and effects, such as Ray Tracing, which the Xbox already has vastly better hardware for with the ~50% more CUs.

but everyone assuming that based on the information that only XBOX has full RDNA2 integration, is just a fanboy
MS and AMD are fanboys? They literally said Xbox Series S/X are the only consoles that have full RDNA2 feature sets.

Last edited:

TTOOLL

It doesn't matter because I mean, people will fight anyway so whatever.

The presentation about Rdna2 started with both consoles...one is is a more traditional approach and the other one maybe more exotic. That's it.

jaytyla

Neo Member
I don’t understand how people think Xbox would be lying about their advantage over PS5. Xbox said the Series X is TWICE as powerful as the One X despite having 6.15 teraflops of gpu power of a significantly more efficient GPU. Xbox could’ve easily stated that the Series X is close to three times as powerful as the One X (when factoring RDNA architecture). I really believe Xbox will have a decent advantage over PlayStation in third party games.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I don’t understand how people think Xbox would be lying about their advantage over PS5. Xbox said the Series X is TWICE as powerful as the One X despite having 6.15 teraflops of gpu power of a significantly more efficient GPU. Xbox could’ve easily stated that the Series X is close to three times as powerful as the One X (when factoring RDNA architecture). I really believe Xbox will have a decent advantage over PlayStation in third party games.
It will most likely play out like the 360/PS3 generation. Games will essentially be the same, but the Xbox version will be slightly higher resolution, higher/more stable framerate, more/better effects. The PS5 versions will load half a second quicker.

VRS is part of Fidelity FX

aolIIqH.png

Some Fidelity FX users....

mJBC2OS.png
Well, when developing on PC, one would have the ability to do so. Between HZD and Death Stranding, I would expect Guerilla to be on the list since those games utilize that engine on PC. That answer is still pretty hazy, I think as this is proof of nothing until we get confirmation of these things running on the PS5.

Top Bottom