• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBW Rumor: The Next Xbox Has A Wii U Like Tablet Controller With HD Screen, Buttons

ShdwDrake

Banned
Having an extra touchscreen on controller means that I could see rts games and MOBA games being viable on consoles. Also, hotkeys.

Tookay

To those making comparisons to the Wii U...

This rumor doesn't say anything about gyros, a camera, or game-streaming to the device, so I think they're still differentiated somewhat.

Postman

Banned
Touch screen is the best possible choice out of all the stupid choices out there at the moment. It has actual real uses.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
If this is true, they could easily run away with the market. Nintendo's Wii U concept is limited by their lack of interest in pursuing the 'all your entertainment in one box' path Microsoft have taken Xbox down. A tablet controller makes more sense if it's genuinely multifunctional and can be used for media organisation, as a TV/Netflix remote, and with a real app store, more like that for Windows 8 tablets than the surely half-hearted and poorly supported solution Nintendo will come up with.

Hopefully it will force them to introduce a browser.

GhaleonEB

Ever since the Dreamcast I've wanted a good screen on the controller. So long as it really is "an HD screen surrounded by the traditional 360 buttons and sticks", count me tentatively delighted.
Next gen controllers to be sized for bear hands.

Yay! Duke for life, yo.

Would be great if only to see the stamping of feet and declarations of "That's it, I'm quitting gaming!" followed by seeing those exact people in "So, owners of the XBox 3 with the new price drop, what do you think?" threads talking about how cool Gears of War 4 is.

Threi

notag
well...in terms of control interfaces change is welcomed. Wii showed that there are completely superior control schemes to be made, the sooner we move on from the archaic design it's in currently, the better.

Why are people just assuming this crap is true? Confidence in the Wii U is at an all-time low.
We're expressing our thoughts on the rumor, no one is saying it's true. I don't think Gaf is so gullible to just assume it's real.

I don't see the need for Microsoft to have a touch screen controller. Xbox 360 controller is almost perfect.

dream

I guess I just don't see the point in lamenting about things like this. The battle for the living room is so much bigger than just gaming.

I don't see the need for Microsoft to have a touch screen controller. Xbox 360 controller is almost perfect.

It's perfect for gaming but showing up for the next generation with just a video game machine is pretty much a guaranteed way to lose the entire war.

Bullza2o

It seems like Microsoft is confused. First they emphasize having the players themselves as the controller. Now based on this article they're copying Nintendo a la Sony-style. It would be cool though to have the Kinect detect the controller so it can more accurately detect finger motion :p

Bring the Duke back

Cipherr

Sounds good. I wouldnt mind it at all. Make all the DL games playable on Win8, Nextbox, Win8 tablets, and Windows phone 8.

I miss new controllers with new gens. Good riddance.

angry1vd7kheukdh.gif

I don't give a shit about a tablet controller. Microsoft would be much better off with a standard controller (maybe break apart) and a more advanced iteration of Kinect. Boom, that's all they need!

I really can't see the whole tablet thing catching on like motion gaming did.

blamite

If they just put a screen on the bottom of the current 360 controller, where the chatpad goes now, it'll be perfect.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I'm trying to figure out how this can be a "HD SCREEN WITH XBOX-STYLE CONTROLS" that is:

1) "Sleek" like the Vita.
2) "Sleek" like the... iPad?
3) Not "bulky" like the WiiU controller.

I am struggling to see how you can have all three of those points being true at the same time. If it's the size of a Vita, then the iPad and WiiU are both "bulky". If it's the size of the iPad, then it's not "sleek" or near the size of a Vita. The WiiU controller and iPad have vaguely similar "sizes" (tablet) and the Vita is much smaller (handheld around the size of a controller).

The fact that the WiiU pad is bulky is half the reason I have faith in it. If it were thin and sleep it would have no grip, nothing to grab onto. Also it says it will be like the vita, which last time I checked, is pretty thick too.

But I do like the Vita as a controller better than the Upad.

Elginer

Ever since the Dreamcast I've wanted a good screen on the controller. So long as it really is "an HD screen surrounded by the traditional 360 buttons and sticks", count me tentatively delighted.

Yay! Duke for life, yo.

I"m with you, this sounds awesome.

thuway

Figures Ms cant do anything different...

This bullshit needs to stop. The entire industry uses each other. Do you know how many employees switch between Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony on a daily basis? /

This now begs the question what Sony will do, and how Vita will come into play with the next PlayStation.

I just really want the Next Box to use a 6970 equivalent :-/.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I don't give a shit about a tablet controller. Microsoft would be much better off with a standard controller (maybe break apart) and a more advanced iteration of Kinect. Boom, that's all they need!

I really can't see the whole tablet thing catching on like motion gaming did.

This is what I wanted. Best of both worlds!

But I think everyone is really underestimating tablet-controls (Deja Vu).

This should be good.

With two consoles with touch screens out there, devs can focus on actually making use of it, while still having two large markets to fund their games.

TheOddOne

If this is true, they could easily run away with the market. Nintendo's Wii U concept is limited by their lack of interest in pursuing the 'all your entertainment in one box' path Microsoft have taken Xbox down. A tablet controller makes more sense if it's genuinely multifunctional and can be used for media organisation, as a TV/Netflix remote, and with a real app store, more like that for Windows 8 tablets than the surely half-hearted and poorly supported solution Nintendo will come up with.

Hopefully it will force them to introduce a browser.
The rumour also says the tablet will be used to remote control TV's, as browser when you're on the internet, extra buttons and information when playing a game or a portable display when you want to take your game with you.

The writer of the article speculates it will cost ₤399. Furthermore he says that MS is playing save with CPU and GPU but running wild with functions on how you play.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Someone make a rumor round up thread just to show how many we have and how many of them are directly opposed to each other. I bet it's hilarious.

I wouldn't be surprised by it, but there's one thing that makes me doubt it:

having both HD touch screen controllers AND some advanced version of Kinect built-in the console sounds like too much. And probably quite expensive.

StevieP

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised by it, but there's one thing that makes me doubt it:

having both HD touch screen controllers AND some advanced version of Kinect built-in the console sounds like too much. And probably quite expensive.

Well, to sell it at $399 or less (and if you want to invade the family room instead of the gaming room, it'll have to be less) without a substantial loss you're going to be taking that out on the BOM of the console. You know, like an 32nm SoC called Oban based on a lower/midrange GPU.

Ooh god please not.
I find getting a new controller after a rage attack expensive enough.
fuck this im staying pc gaming if all these rumors are true.

inbe $149.99 controller replacement.

watership

"The Next Xbox has a PS4, a Gizmondo and a small tribe of code sensitive shrimp inside; 'Will run on carts!' says new Xbox headman Howard Lincoln."

Woorloog

Banned

This came to my mind... If this rumor is true, i wonder what Nintendo does next.

Whether or not this is true, i really hope next-gen Xbox controllers don't break right away... the darn sticks in 360 controllers are horrible, all of my controllers have sticks that are, well, sticky.

Strike

It will certainly make porting very easy. I could totally see the distribution services (Live/PSN/NiN) and 1st party being the only things that differentiate the consoles from each other next gen.

You mean the rejects of the others?

I think the Kinect is a little shonky, but a more finely tuned version that can do things like detect finger movement would be nice. It's also substantially different to anything Sony or Nintendo are offering.

Since I was responding to the "Microsoft just copies" comment.

Top Bottom