• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBW Rumor: The Next Xbox Has A Wii U Like Tablet Controller With HD Screen, Buttons

I'm open to it.

The Wii U is exciting to me. Let's see what this brings about...

You can bet one thing, I'm sure there are multiple versions of what the NeXtBox are out there. If Wii U catches on quickly, Microsoft will no doubt follow with this. 100%

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I have a feeling I'll be telling my kids about how console generations used to go before it became about whoever had the best gimmick that did nothing or not much for the actual games.

It's a bit like when d-pads came about, or when more than two buttons were put on the controller. Don't even get me started on shoulder buttons. And who had the smart idea to implement a d-pad and a joystick on the same controller?

Controllers will evolve as time continues to pass. I see no reason why a touch screen implemented on a controller is seen as a gimmick. Though I imagine there may be people out there who are still bitter about the DS; I can only begin to fathom the horrors they conjure every night in this day and age.

Copy Nintendo seems to have become a trend.

You're almost 20 years late to this assessment when it concerns controller creations.

Maxrunner

I think the Kinect is a little shonky, but a more finely tuned version that can do things like detect finger movement would be nice. It's also substantially different to anything Sony or Nintendo are offering.

Since I was responding to the "Microsoft just copies" comment.

Nintendo actually had the option to get the kinect tech but opted out because of problems with lag and other stuff.

Dabanton

I think the Kinect is a little shonky, but a more finely tuned version that can do things like detect finger movement would be nice. It's also substantially different to anything Sony or Nintendo are offering.

Since I was responding to the "Microsoft just copies" comment.

For the multimedia capabilities Kinect is already laying the groundwork. Getting people used to using voice to activate most of these things is almost a master stroke.

Next gen people will be expecting these things as default.

fernoca

Sounds fun...but really made up, even more when in the same sentence they say that the tablet is closer to the Vita and the iPad, than the Wii U's "bulky unit"(unless there's an smaller iPad I'm not aware of)...

6WrEF.jpg

2f5j2.jpg

..when the Wii U's controller, size-wise is closer to the Vita. Also wonder how are they going to make it less bulky,but still surrounded by all the 360 buttons and sticks, on top of the screen been HD.

It's a bit like when d-pads came about, or when more than two buttons were put on the controller. Don't even get me started on shoulder buttons. And who had the smart idea to implement a d-pad and a joystick on the same controller?

Controllers will evolve as time continues to pass. I see no reason why a touch screen implemented on a controller is seen as a gimmick. Though I imagine there may be people out there who are still bitter about the DS; I can only begin to fathom the horrors they conjure every night in this day and age.

Bro, you're talking to the determiner of what is and isn't a Real Game™. Respect!

iceatcs

Yes please, I won't mind to have all three to have tablet controller.

It will be pure console war for them. There is no reason to spilt market for this gen, unlike current gen was kind of mess.

McHuj

I was worried we were in a next Xbox rumor drought.

If the controller is still as comfortable and has all the 360 buttons, I don't really care. But I don't think they would bundle a nextgen Kinect and a tablet-lite controller together.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sounds fun...but really made up, even more when in the same sentence they say that the tablet is closer to the Vita and the iPad, than the Wii U's "bulky unit"(unless there's an smaller iPad I'm not aware of)...

http://i.imgur.com/6WrEF.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/2f5j2.jpg[IMG]

..when the Wii U's controller, size-wise is closer to the Vita. Also wonder how are they going to make it less bulky,but still surrounded by all the 360 buttons and sticks, on top of the screen been HD.[/QUOTE]

Shape wise, not size wise.

Ramblin

Banned
And this is why I want this generation to last as long as it can. Good-bye traditional controllers, we hardly knew ye.

Copy Nintendo seems to have become a trend.

A trend? Ever since Nintendo's in the business, competitors have been copying* them in control schemes.

*Or to put it so it comes off less crass: Nintendo has often introduced control schemes that the industry has adopted as standards.

Nintendo actually had the option to get the kinect tech but opted out because of problems with lag and other stuff.

I know the tech was out there, and Nintendo didn't need it.

But it hasn't exactly been a flop for Microsoft, and in the future could very well be something that clearly distinguishes Microsoft from the other companies.

In terms of "Nintendo copying", it's not nearly as blatant as the Move.

muu

would be surprised if they didn't do something of this sort. interface and control scheme-wise there's too much that you could do with an interactive touch screen to not implement it if the tech is there to add it in on a sane-sized (and weighted) package.

Derrick01

Banned

Because it's unnecessary. I've seen the ideas tossed around "it can serve as a map in a rpg!" "it can be a stat/info screen for an online game!". Sure it could, but are you going to look down at your controller in the middle of a game? No, you would likely pause it...so what's the point then? You could just look at it on the pause screen.

Now if the part where it could actually play the game lag free if someone else needed the tv works that could be good. I mean it serves no purpose for me since I have control of my tv at all times, but I could see others using it.

Don't get me wrong though anything is better than Kinect. I know they'll use that POS next gen too but if I had a choice I'll take a tablet controller.

Petrichor

I see no reason why the unit couldn't be Vita shaped (as long as it doesn't have circle pads). The guide button / start / select could all become software buttons permanently at the top of whatever the touch screen is displaying.

fernoca

Shape wise, not size wise.
There's that too. :p
Guess is one of those wait and see things. There are so many rumors about the new Xbox, from a tablet like controller, to more Kinect integration, to not letting people play used games.

If anything, one thing all seem to agree is that the hardware per se won't have this big jump that many expected, so that might allow them to add other things like Kinect and a tablet-controller onto the mix. That will also allow them to counter and get as much support as the Wii U receives, on top on the exclusives. Would be good in general at least, since that'll mean similar games across all platforms at least.

I hate when I have to look at my controller while I'm playing a game. I don't see the point of having a screen on it, let alone an HD screen.

Sony needs to bundle their next gen console with a new version of their HMD. I'd buy two on launch day if they did.

Seik

Banned
I can be excited for this, as long as the touch screen done in the same monstrous style as WiiU.

I'm thinking Vita size screen and an ergonomically fantastic controller built around it.

Yeah, that sounds awesome and perfect. WiiU's controller is kinda oversized imo, something Vita-sized sounds reasonable.

I'll add that your avatar made me laugh uncontrollably at first sight. That episode is awesome! XD

What I think is Ms will just let any Win 8 enabled device control the new console, be it a tablet or a smartphone. And they'll keep the standard 360 controller, because it's dirt cheap to produce, sells at an enormous profit margin, and we are all going to buy one no matter what, if the tablet or anything else becomes the standard.

But hey, rumours are fun!

Goddamn Nintendo ruining videogames for everyone!!1

I don't actually see how people liking "traditional gaming" would be so outraged by a touch screen controller like they are with motion controls.

Motion controls are different from traditional controls, the screened controller just adds to traditional controls. You still have your analog sticks, D-pads and whatnot, and you can still be a couch potato while playing games.

Anth0ny

That was fast.

It took a couple of years for Microsoft and Sony to rip off the Wii this gen.

Nintendo... go ahead and rip off Xbox Live now ^_^

TheOddOne

Looks like websites are copying the whole article now, so I'll put this up:
The next Xbox will be a matt-black media hub with a mission to bring games to life in your living room with augmented reality, directional sound, and a four-player finger-tracking Kinect. We told you all that last month. This month, our sources tell us it will have a touchscreen, too.

Microsoft are experimenting with a tablet-like controller with a shape closer to Sony’s sleek Vita handheld / Apple’s iPad than Wii U’s bulky unit – it’s an HD screen surrounded by the traditional 360 buttons and sticks.

On 360 that touchscreen will be second only to Kinect in how you operate your console. It could be a remote control when you’re watching TV, a browser when you’re on the internet, extra buttons and information when playing a game or a portable display when you want to take your game with you.

If the next Xbox is starting to sound awfully expensive, you’d be right. 360 launched at £279 while PS3 launched at £425, so – we’re speculating here – £399 wouldn’t be an unprecedented figure to put on a machine with Kinect and a touch controller in the box. Microsoft are playing safe with the CPU and GPU but running wild with the functions that will change how you play, but it won’t be cheap. Expect to see the next Xbox at E3 this June.

1-D_FTW

I have a feeling I'll be telling my kids about how console generations used to go before it became about whoever had the best gimmick that did nothing or not much for the actual games.

Console? What's a console, Dad? You mean you had to hook a big box up to your tv just to play games?

Jonm1010

Banned
I was worried we were in a next Xbox rumor drought.

If the controller is still as comfortable and has all the 360 buttons, I don't really care. But I don't think they would bundle a nextgen Kinect and a tablet-lite controller together.

Maybe if that whole ign 6670 graphics card rumor proves true. Most money focused on gimmicks and updated services geared for home entertainment/casuals with a minor graphical update.

Personally it will make me sick but at this point I won't be surprised.

AzaK

just give me a regular controller, FUCK
Do you want 16 bit graphics too? Tablet controllers could be a great evolution and if done right would be at least as good as a regular controller with added functionality.

..when the Wii U's controller, size-wise is closer to the Vita. Also wonder how are they going to make it less bulky,but still surrounded by all the 360 buttons and sticks, on top of the screen been HD.

They will probably just invest more into making it thinner etc. Nintendo's one will be made to be as inexpensive as possible and therefore will sacrifice some of the industrial design and small form factor to reach a good price point.

Just, stop.

I hate these BS next 360 rumors posted all the time.

This rumor is basically "microsoft copying Nintendo"

Except why would they, Nintendo is currently failing and MS is currently doing well.

Also, it makes much more sense for MS to focus on some sort of next gen Kinect than go this weird tablet route.

But also note yet another rumor that contradicts the 10+ before it, or at least none of them mentioned it (hmm, IGN's source told them the GPU but didn't mention it's a tablet? Righhhht)

Epcott

Sounds like I'll need 3 jobs to buy one, if this is true.

Oh wait, no used/traded games... if that is true.

Pre-plans to pre-order, canceled.

watershed

Banned
Sounds really expensive to have a fancy new kinect and an hd screen in the controller on top of the rest of the hardware. Plus I thought the key to success in the hardware market was differentiation between the competition not synergy. Maybe we really are headed towards a one console future as far as function and UI are concerned.

GDGF

Soothsayer
t4UhW.jpg

Looks pretty good to me.

That would be pretty sweet.

Nintendo should be welcoming this news. This, plus the likelihood that the machines should all be in the same ballpark powerwise means a higher chance that there will be ports across the board.

Top Bottom