• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xcloud beta available today on Android for all Game Pass Ultimate subscribers

Vawn

Banned
I didn't see this posted yet, but if it is, please lock.

Xbox is releasing the Beta version of Xcloud for Android phone users. We should be able to stream GamePass games today.

I downloaded the GamePass app for my phone. However, I don't see a way to stream games as of right now.

Does anyone know if this has launched already and I'm just missing how to do it? If so, I'd appreciate an explanation how to launch streaming.

The full XCloud for Android officially launches September 15.

Last edited:

Ten_Fold

It’s good for single player imo, but I tried T7 and it’s like fighting someone on a 3 bar connection while I’m in training mode. I couldn’t wouldn’t play a fighter on xcloud currently at all.

Vawn

Banned
Well, I'm confused then, because everything I read is it is launching today.

Can you tell me how to launch it via the app?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Yeah the beta is still running until the 11th of Sept. OP, you need this app

Not all Game Pass games are available yet. But some games are available on the preview that aren't on Game Pass (like Tales of Vesperia DE)

I believe the beta is still invite only. Maybe they're launching an open beta?

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member
Well, I'm confused then, because everything I read is it is launching today.

Can you tell me how to launch it via the app?
That's because they are renaming from Preview (which has been running for a year) to Beta and all the media got their panties in a bunch over it. God, journalism sucks.

CeeJay

Xbox is releasing the Beta version of Xcloud for Android phone users. We should be able to stream GamePass games today.

I downloaded the GamePass app for my phone. However, I don't see a way to stream games as of right now.

Does anyone know if this has launched already and I'm just missing how to do it? If so, I'd appreciate an explanation how to launch streaming.

have you connected a controller to your phone?

It doesn't let you do much until you have done that.

spons

Gold Member
What phones are supported? I have a Moto G5 I bought as a spare lying around.
100% sure it works just fine. Any recent Android with Bluetooth and 720p video playback should work (i.e. everything released in the past 5 years or so). You can even use a controller wired. I personally used a Dualshock 4.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

“As we approach the launch of cloud gaming with Xbox Game Pass Ultimate on September 15, we’re entering a limited beta period to ensure a smooth transition of the cloud gaming experience to the Xbox Game Pass app on Android,” a company spokesperson told Engadget. “Existing Xbox Game Pass (Beta) app users will get the opportunity to test a subset of the available titles as we ready the experience for broader availability next month.”

If you’re an Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscriber in one of the 22 xCloud launch countries, you’ll receive a notification that it’s is available to test. There should be about 30 of the 100 launch games available, though you might experience some typical beta bugs. “This limited beta is critical to providing the best possible experience for members at launch and should not be considered indicative of the final experience or library,” Microsoft said.

I guess this is what OP is talking about. Basically the preview will be opening up for all Game Pass Ultimate subscribers.

Last edited:

Sephimoth

I want to check it out, but their site is complete wank. I'm logged into it with my Gold Ultimate account, and everything appears like I'm not logged in ("JOIN NOW" etc)
You'd think a company as huge as Microsoft would get the basics down.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Yeah, I am just getting a message the Preview is closed from the app you guys shared earlier.

Maybe that was a closed beta and today they're launching an open beta?

BeardGawd

Banned
Yeah the beta is still running until the 11th of Sept. OP, you need this app

Not all Game Pass games are available yet. But some games are available on the preview that aren't on Game Pass (like Tales of Vesperia DE)

I believe the beta is still invite only. Maybe they're launching an open beta?

I think you need the Xbox Game Pass (Beta) app not the Xbox Game Streaming app.

Vawn

Banned
I still can't even figure out how to even attempt streaming. If this actually is possible, could someone explain it to me like I'm five? I can't find any options from any of the Xbox apps I've installed on my Android phone.

Js562

I've been in the beta for awhile. Before you could sign up and wait for an email to confirm that you can join the beta. Runs well but only on wifi 5ghz or 5g on the phone.

Iced Arcade

I still can't even figure out how to even attempt streaming. If this actually is possible, could someone explain it to me like I'm five? I can't find any options from any of the Xbox apps I've installed on my Android phone.
...................download the "xbox game streaming" app, sign in, click on the game and play.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

It just went live so might be a bit before it goes live to everyone as its being pushed.

You have to sign into the same account as your GPU account.

Edit. Also you specifically need the Game Pass Beta app.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
It just went live so might be a bit before it goes live to everyone as its being pushed.

You have to sign into the same account as your GPU account.

Edit. Also you specifically need the Game Pass Beta app.

Thanks. Yeah, I've tried both the Game Pass and GP Beta apps. Both act identical to me. I can click on any games, but they only give an option to download.

Hopefully, it's just a matter of it not being rolled out yet (though site says it should have gone live at 9EST).

I'm in the US, for what it's worth.

VAVA Mk2

Has to be the beta version of the app. Not sure if the newest apk has been pushed out yet from the Play Store.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Thanks. Yeah, I've tried both the Game Pass and GP Beta apps. Both act identical to me. I can click on any games, but they only give an option to download.

Hopefully, it's just a matter of it not being rolled out yet (though site says it should have gone live at 9EST).

The app version in the store needs to be updated. It doesnt appear to be live for many.

jshackles

I've got a 4K Firestick, any way to get it running on that?
Step one will be installing the Google Play Store on your Firestick. And make sure you pair your bluetooth controller with the Firestick.

However, I don't think they have an "Android TV" compatible streaming app just yet. So you would have to wait for that to be released.

mcjmetroid

I'm in Ireland same problem. I'm using the game pass beta app and yes only downloading.

Man they made this confusing. Wayyyyy too many apps for xbox

Quasicat

The update just came through the Google Play store. I loaded up Forza Horizon 4 on my Kindle Fire 8 HD and it ran really well. There were a couple of hiccups at first, but after that, it literally took my save from the cloud and started me up where I left off last evening (in LEGO Land). I’m still a console person, but this was really cool! I can’t imagine how this will look someday when this is on a wired connection through my Android TV.

FMX

Just played a multiplayer match in Halo 5 on Xcloud. It was silky smooth. I am really impressed. It's really impressive. I am hard core Halo and it felt very similar to playing on the console.

jshackles

yHXMZYv.png

They really should remedy that.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I've tried that, but I still see no options to stream. Just downloading to my Xbox One or PC.
Do ou see "cloud" tab? Because you might have normal version, not beta, should look like this:

gQzYbt7.jpg

BeardGawd

Banned
Finally got the update on my Android tablet and it's glorious! Playing Forza Horizon at the moment. One thing I will say is the device you play these on is super important.

For instance I had a Galaxy Tab A and the controls are laggy and button presses don't recognize consistently (think the Bluetooth module in these tabs are shit). I switch to a Samsung S6 lite device and it works perfectly with much more responsive controls.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Finally got the update on my Android tablet and it's glorious! Playing Forza Horizon at the moment. One thing I will say is the device you play these on is super important.

For instance I had a Galaxy Tab A and the controls are laggy and button presses don't recognize consistently (think the Bluetooth module in these tabs are shit). I switch to a Samsung S6 lite device and it works perfectly with much more responsive controls.

Which app are you using? And where are you located?

Vawn

Banned
Oh it just updated. Now I have a cloud tab. It seems to be working, but I haven't played a game yet, because I don't have my controller atm.

Last edited:

BeardGawd

Banned
Which app are you using? And where are you located?
I'm using the Xbox Game Pass (Beta) app with the White background and Green text. I'm located in the US.

I've tried both, the regular green one and the Beta white one. Both act identical for me.

My app had to update. Make sure you're going to the Play Store and keep constantly refreshing for updates. Ironically my iPad Game Pass app showed an update at the same time. Of course no xCloud functionality but I bet it was originally planned.

Sephimoth

Have beast internet and s20. Runs really bad for me unfortunately.

Edit: disabled 2.4ghz wifi on router to force 5ghz, runs good now.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned

As we approach the launch of cloud gaming with Xbox Game Pass Ultimate on September 15, we’re entering a limited beta period to ensure a smooth transition of the cloud gaming experience to the Xbox Game Pass app on Android,” explains a Microsoft spokesperson in a statement to The Verge. “Existing Xbox Game Pass (Beta) app users will get the opportunity to test a subset of the available titles as we ready the experience for broader availability next month. This limited beta is critical to providing the best possible experience for members at launch and should not be considered indicative of the final experience or library.

This game streaming beta won’t have the full 100 or more games that will be available next month, but expect around 30 or so titles to play tomorrow. Microsoft is still planning to discontinue its Project xCloud Preview on September 11th, ahead of the general launch on September 15th.

If you’re interested in trying out game streaming (xCloud) tomorrow, then you’ll need to be an Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscriber and have the Xbox Game Pass (beta) app from the Google Play Store.

*This article was posted yesterday so whenever they say tomorrow they mean today. 😉

😅 Lol didn’t see this thread because I have OP on ignore😅 sorry mods.

Last edited:

nikolino840

The update just came through the Google Play store. I loaded up Forza Horizon 4 on my Kindle Fire 8 HD and it ran really well. There were a couple of hiccups at first, but after that, it literally took my save from the cloud and started me up where I left off last evening (in LEGO Land). I’m still a console person, but this was really cool! I can’t imagine how this will look someday when this is on a wired connection through my Android TV.
Oh..true!
45mb

Redlancet

Banned
tried on a good 5g wifi connection,it was....decent?but the lag its noticeable,so as a curiosity or to spend some time its nice to have,but still its way worse than playing with real hardware

mcjmetroid

Yaaa I still don't think much of this service. I mean my WiFi isn't the best but I'm still getting 100MB on my android phone.

There should really be an option to cut resolution to improve speeds.

Like what YouTube does when your connection is struggling. Instead it just slows down and causes artefacts. Not good enough.

I'd be more interested in this service frankly if they offered pc support and I was able to ethernet in. Then I could move my Xbox to a seperate room and it's like having 2 consoles.

It's impressive but still meh from me.

Top Bottom