• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown Plus (Vita) Out Now in Europe

Xenoflare

Bully, Manhunt and XCOM Vita all stealth released on the same day. Kinda seems like someone at 2K fucked up the release date when they submitted them to SCEE. That or SCEE fucked up, which is actually probably the most likely scenario.

The problem is that we only learned the existence of this game is via ESRB log files and it's trophy list.

I don't recall it being advertised in any way

Prelude.

Kinda funny how Civ Rev 2+ released in asia/japan but got delayed in the west, but this one, which never even got announced yet, went straight from ESRB to PSN.

Jintor

lol was there like 1 guy in a back room jake solomon was beating over the head with a sectoid to get this done?

FDC1

Damn,copy is slow, first 30% was fast but since it's horrible, probably a lot of small files, I hope it will speed up again else it will take the night lol.

Shizuka

Damn,copy is slow, first 30% was fast but since it's horrible, probably a lot of small files, I hope it will speed up again else it will take the night lol.

You had one job, FDC1.
Just kidding, take your time and let us know about the game when you can.

huh

i have a spare vita memory card

can't i make a eu psn account with it and buy this?

You can. The process is pretty cumbersome and you have to go through it every time you switch memory cards with different regions. It acts like your Vita is brand new so you have to re-do everything, including watching that awful intro video, losing your bubble layout, and getting tutorials pop-ups on everything again.

If you're cool with that go for it. I got sick of the back and forth for my Japanese account and American and just decided to stick with the American one.

I saw someone say once that there's the possibility of a ban due to the constant account switching on the system, but take that with a grain of salt. Never happened to me and it could have just been an unsubstantiated claim.

Anyways I've been waiting for this for so long. Please for the love of Christ come out in America.

Well, historically, SRPG sales seem to be in inversion to time from announcement to release.

Valkyria Chronicles, 2 weeks - 700k sales so far on Steam
Xenonauts, 4 years (Probably announced early to ride that The Bureau hate-train) - 200k sales
Enemy Unknown, 6 Months - 3.3 Million
XCOM 2, 8 Months - 750k

Enemy Unknown+ on Vita will clearly sell INFINITE copies with its negative amount of time from announcement to release.

mrjohill

Well, historically, SRPG sales seem to be in inversion to time from announcement to release.

Valkyria Chronicles, 2 weeks - 700k sales so far on Steam
Xenonauts, 4 years (Probably announced early to ride that The Bureau hate-train) - 200k sales
Enemy Unknown, 6 Months - 3.3 Million
XCOM 2, 8 Months - 750k

Enemy Unknown+ on Vita will clearly sell INFINITE copies with its negative amount of time from announcement to release.

Flawless logic lol

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Nice! Had no idea this was coming. Never played Enemy Within, will play it on my Vita if the port holds up.

ZoronMaro

Honestly expected this to be some kind of joke, I mean it's not the first time something's drifted onto PSN with no fanfare, but has this ever happened with such a big developer with a well regarded brand name?

I'm guessing the silence means it's a terrible port and they have zero confidence in it. Hope I'm wrong though.

Pepboy

I thought Xenonauts was announced before X-Com Unknown, certainly before The Bureau.

edit: Yeah, Xenonauts was released in 2014. If it was announced 4 years early, that would be 2010. X-Com Enemy Unknown was released in 2012. I remember hearing Xenonauts before X-Com Enemy Unknown because shortly after EU was announced, they interviewed Xenonauts dev basically asking "So how screwed are you now that there is a real XCom game coming?"

edit2: Oh wait maybe you mean "probably released early", that would make more sense in context of the rest of your post.

Zoibie

holy shit it's actually out oh my god

i kinda want this now out of the fear of it being removed

I'm tempted to do the same...

I know I'll wear the thumbsticks down playing this game so much, but if it runs like garbage I don't really want to have spent £16 on it.

Also yeah, how crazy is this release? You would have thought the ideal time to announce this was when they also said Civ was coming to Vita at PSX last year, and yet it was just forgotten about. Now it just shows up on the store with no fanfare whatsoever... can't say I'm holding out much hope on this being a decent port.

I've been waiting for this news for so long. Too bad I have a flight tomorrow, this would've been perfect.

Need a North American release immediately.

I thought Xenonauts was announced before X-Com Unknown, certainly before The Bureau.

It was announced shortly after XCOM2010/The Bureau's disastrous announcement as some "Don't like 2K's rape of the franchise? Try this instead!"

Actually kind of tasteless IMO. If your game relies on another game's Hate-Train in order to propel itself, it gives me the feeling your game can't stand on its own two legs. Even Saints Row 2, which made fun of how dull GTA4 was in a trailer, at least had its own identity to market itself on. Inversely, look at SR4's "GAT V" DLC which sorta struck me as "We've officially run out of ideas of what to call our dime a dozen DLCs".

And that's ignoring how a lot of Xenonauts basically just rips off a bunch of stuff straight out of Enemy Unknown 94 with slight name changes to avoid copyright. I liked Xenonauts for at least being a more direct modernization of EU94 where EU12 diverged a bit too far, but at the end of the day it didn't do enough to make itself unique either.

Also yeah, how crazy is this release? You would have thought the ideal time to announce this was when they also said Civ was coming to Vita at PSX last year, and yet it was just forgotten about. Now it just shows up on the store with no fanfare whatsoever... can't say I'm holding out much hope on this being a decent port.

I wouldn't say it's too removed from reality that Sony might be a bit apprehensive of giving the old XCOM game stage time without first securing a PS4 version of the sequel.

FDC1

Here we go:

bQnIL8Z.jpg

dmY3Y4L.jpg

id4ePaz.jpg

GAPt97Q.jpg

FDC1

I only played a few minutes, it seems it plays like the console version, it doesn't seem you can play with touch controls so I'm not sure it's a port of the mobile game (but I never played this one so I can't say for sure). Loading times are a little long. Please note, as usual, pics are a little more blurrier here than on the Vita screen.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I only played a few minutes, it seems it plays like the console version, it doesn't seem you can play with touch controls so I'm not sure it's a port of the mobile game (but I never played this one so I can't say for sure). Loading times are a little long.

sounds good enough to me

RevenWolf

I only played a few minutes, it seems it plays like the console version, it doesn't seem you can play with touch controls so I'm not sure it's a port of the mobile game (but I never played this one so I can't say for sure). Loading times are a little long. Please note, as usual, pics are a little more blurrier here than on the Vita screen.

How did the console version play?

FDC1

There is some touch controls, you can roam the map, pinch it to zoom in/out, etc...

I got my first trophy for finishing the tutorial level, I'm stopping there for tonight, time to sleep.

There is some touch controls, you can roam the map, pinch it to zoom in/out, etc...

I got my first trophy for finishing the tutorial level, I'm stopping there for tonight, time to sleep.

Is it a seperate trophy list? Or does it piggyback off of the PS3 version like Borderlands 2 did?

Top Bottom