• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 2 Interviews with Tetsuya Takahashi

I still remain confused as to what issues people have with Rex's outfit. It's clearly meant to be a fantasy version of a diving suit. Mixed with modern day wetsuits...

and old fashioned diving suits...

and maybe throw in some fishing waders....

and BAM.

I had figured the wetsuit, diving helmet, and wrist-mounted anchor/harpoon in my head, but those fishing waders help solve the last piece of the puzzle in his design for me. Neat observations.

KrawlMan

The more I hear the more excited I get. I was a little worried about the direction this one might be taking but I'm less worried now.

I still remain confused as to what issues people have with Rex's outfit. It's clearly meant to be a fantasy version of a diving suit. Mixed with modern day wetsuits...

and BAM.

Thanks for this. I originally thought it was pretty stupid, but I didn't understand what it was supposed to be. I hadn't really observed that it was a helmet on his back, and admittedly never looked closet. I just assumed it was some weird looking jet pack or a pointless quirk in his design.

when you break it down it kinda works. It would be nice if they have him utilize it with the helmet on at several points in th game , at least early on.

DJIzana

Well they confirmed a water themed titan on the treehouse stream so yeah that would be pretty awesome.

Edit: but honestly to me that helmet doesn't really look like a helmet you could use to breathe underwater, more like something to dig holes in caves.

Actually if you watch the treehouse footage (I think... That or was in the E3 trailer), Rex has some sort of rat pet and would sit inside his helm. Who knows. I personally hope they added underwater to Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Also gotta say I love what he's done with the world's structure by taking the "floating islands and airships" cliche and turning it into something new by mixing it with the giant titans concept from the first one. It also gives them a freedom to design environments that don't necessarily have to "connect" with each other by virtue of them being individual "bodies" in a sea of clouds.

You need to watch the Granblue Fantasy Re Link trailer. Even if it's a "floating island trope", doesn't mean that a game can't look/be amazing. Heck, I'm equally excited for Granblue as 8 am Xenoblade 2. Theoretically, if I could only play games from two franchises going forward, it's be Xenoblade Chronicles and Granblue Fantasy (and we haven't even had a console version of the game... I only like it for the art, anime and mobile game).

TheMoon

Isn't this pretty much every JRPG ever made?

Well, no? But it's very Dragon Age/Mass Effect, Game of Thronesy if you wanna go down that route... :)

Having lots of varied locations to explore sounds amazing! Linear gated areas (but each area being really large) is perfect!

Btw, you can adjust the camera:

UncomfortableBrightGraywolf.gif

Why wouldn't you? You could do that in the other Xenoblades too.

Waji

Sometimes I can't imagine playing that on a handheld device.
And we can see they thought about it with big dialog boxes...
Should work better than X.

13ruce

Banned
The more I hear the more excited I get. I was a little worried about the direction this one might be taking but I'm less worried now.

New-1-5mm-Men-Women-Watersports-font-b-Scuba-b-font-Snorkeling-font-b-Dive-b.jpg

wefwefqewfqwfqwfqwfqwf.jpg

rustic_ridge_pvc_hip_wader_31349_1.jpg

and BAM.

I kinda like it now actually.

MicH

New-1-5mm-Men-Women-Watersports-font-b-Scuba-b-font-Snorkeling-font-b-Dive-b.jpg

wefwefqewfqwfqwfqwfqwf.jpg

rustic_ridge_pvc_hip_wader_31349_1.jpg

and BAM.

This is actually really cool. You can see the wetsuit underneath the rest of his outfit. Makes the pants situation actually sensible. Great post!

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Wait people didnt understand rex's design? Did they look at his design for more than 2 seconds?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
When they showed the Treehouse footage of this game there was a spot in town called Salvage Spot. Maybe he puts the helmet on and jumps off.

As seen here at 9:22

https://youtu.be/leQ0fty6PFo

Nice find. So he dives down into a sea of clouds, not real water. That suit really wouldn't make much sense in the water but in the air i can see it work.

Fireblend

Banned
How crazy would it be if after interacting with one of those Salvage Spots, Rex is lowered into a "dead" version of some Bionis or Mechonis location?

Astral Dog

I think it looks goofy and clumsy as hell and doesn't work :S

At least Shulk had a rather plain looking outfit to start, here its something that looks like middle game gear , tacky.

The girl also looks weird, its the clothes

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I think it looks goofy and clumsy as hell and doesn't work :S

At least Shulk had a rather plain looking outfit to start, here its something that looks like middle game gear , tacky.

The girl also looks weird, its the clothes

Yeah even a small change like this would make his outfit look way better.

2017-06-2416_27_20-epiuuj8.png

Oh well whatever, i'm still looking forward to the game. Let's hope there is a reason behind those design choices.

I wonder if he'll be able to change equipment like every Xenoblade game. If it's tied to gameplay like going diving I'm not sure. Especially since a character is in his helmet
Captura37-960x540.jpg

%255BPantsubber%255D%2BRakuen%2BTsuihou%2B-%2BExpelled%2Bfrom%2BParadise%2B%2528BD%2B1280x720%2BH264%2B10-bit%2BAAC%2529%255B4744F507%255D.mkv_snapshot_00.13.17_%255B2015.05.23_10.48.12%255D.png

Saito's art style translates better to 3D models than any Xeno artist before him. He was a perfect pick for Xenoblade 2.
Yeah, it's most likely why he and Nomura were chosen.
Doesn't matter if the XCX art looks fine in 2D, it's terrible in motion.
Rex's 2D art people keep sharing doesn't look too great, but he looks better in game

Isn't this pretty much every JRPG ever made?

The titans/countries of different races are dying and people will loose their homes. Only safe place would seem to be Elysium but it seems to be already inhabitated, perhaps they only allow one tribe to come to them and there will be fights about it. Or one race will try to conquer Elysium etc.

At least interesting parallels to our world, with climatic changes etc. will cause more and more refuugees. Perhaps Elysium is inhabitated by Trump (build a wall).

As Takahashi mentioned Galaxy Express 999 as an inspiring source Elysium will probably not be what it seems (not the promised paradise) and for salvation there will be a very big cost.

In Galaxy Express the goal is a planet where people are made into robots, gainig eternal life, no hunger anymore, but loosing humanity.

TheMoon

As Takahashi mentioned Galaxy Express 999 as an inspiring source Elysium will probably not be what it seems (not the promised paradise) and for salvation there will be a very big cost.

In Galaxy Express the goal is a planet where people are made into robots, gainig eternal life, no hunger anymore, but loosing humanity.

If a story has a promised paradise/safe haven, does it ever turn out to be just that? :D

Waji

I really wish someone asked him about XCX's cliffhanger ending. T_T
No need. We'll have the answer in a future Nintendo Direct with the first teaser of X2.

Okay then tell us exactly how it works.

You look and you think : P.
But really, the first thing I thought when seeing him was how it felt like a diving suit (the helmet is so obvious) so I assumed he may be doing some work involving it in one way or another. It seemed logical and look at the result, a logical result.

In the end it may not become the best outfit for his activity whatever it is, but it makes more sense than lots of other chara designs I saw in my life. I was actually happy to see a character wearing something that seemed to have a meaning, not just being "design" only.
Hope it's even more obvious in the game itself, when playing.

Having lots of varied locations to explore sounds amazing! Linear gated areas (but each area being really large) is perfect!

Btw, you can adjust the camera:

UncomfortableBrightGraywolf.gif

Man I really love the lighting in this game.. looks so calm and peaceful. The green grass color and blue sky is giving me sonic adventure 1 mystic ruins vibe.

Waji

Man I really love the lighting in this game.. looks so calm and peaceful. The green grass color and blue sky is giving me sonic adventure 1 mystic ruins vibe.
Yeah. I'm actually not a tech person, more impressed by art style but I remember saying to a friend I liked the lighting.

Mister Wolf

Yeah. I'm actually not a tech person, more impressed by art style but I remember saying to a friend I liked the lighting.

I hope we don't run into docked mode issues where they try to push for a higher resolution but at a detriment to performance. If you had a choice would you rather target 900/1080p or use the added power for other means like a much greater draw distance and some good antialiasing.

TheMoon

In the costume I gave her yesterday (because it's the strongest i have): She does. I don't think Pyra is that bad.

Well yea, the costumes are all ridiculous if you want them to be. But their default clothes aren't. Also no waterballoon boobs out of someone's favorite dream fantasy.

y u gotta ruin it

Something about how women shouldn't have bodies that aren't proportional, especially not in fantasy games.

They look fine in the artwork, in the 3D model they look ridiculous, iirc.

anaron

Captura37-960x540.jpg

%255BPantsubber%255D%2BRakuen%2BTsuihou%2B-%2BExpelled%2Bfrom%2BParadise%2B%2528BD%2B1280x720%2BH264%2B10-bit%2BAAC%2529%255B4744F507%255D.mkv_snapshot_00.13.17_%255B2015.05.23_10.48.12%255D.png

Saito's art style translates better to 3D models than any Xeno artist before him. He was a perfect pick for Xenoblade 2.

I'll agree with that but it seems to come with Saito's prior experience as well.

If Tanaka's art can translated as well as Saito's, it will without a doubt be the best

Dice//

Banned
Something about how women shouldn't have bodies that aren't proportional, especially not in fantasy games.

Dude she looks like a joke running around the field with her tits being the same size as her head. Plus this kinda bullshit happens to female characters all the time with little equivalent happening to men in games, but hey who cares what women think or want.

Pretty decent artist with their idea on gratuitous proportions aside (oh yeah and those awful, awful shorts).

Yeah even a small change like this would make his outfit look way better.

2017-06-2416_27_20-epiuuj8.png

Oh well whatever, i'm still looking forward to the game. Let's hope there is a reason behind those design choices.

Hah! Way better. x)
Gets rid of impractical part.

Mister Wolf

I'll agree with that but it seems to come with Saito's prior experience as well.

If Tanaka's art can translated as well as Saito's, it will without a doubt be the best

He had his chance Anaron and gamers ripped his art to shreds. Maybe they should have cel shaded it.

HeeHo

Even though I've seen a bit of footage from E3 I'm getting re-hyped over this after seeing the gifs. I'll be ecstatic the day it comes out.

Dice//

Banned
Even though I've seen a bit of footage from E3 I'm getting re-hyped over this after seeing the gifs. I'll be ecstatic the day it comes out.

Same. I watched about 4 min of the E3 gameplay footage and decided the rest didn't matter, I was getting this Day 1 no matter.

Top Bottom