• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 2 official Japanese twitter account and website thread

CGiRanger

Banned
To everyone complaining about the sponge enemys and everyone saying that the demo was modified to show the combat system:

In XC and XCX the way the level scaling works makes that an enemy with 3 or 4 levels more than you really hard and with 5 and more, almost impossible. In the E3 demo (playable characters level 7) enemies with lower levels are beaten fast, but the level 10 enemy takes a while. In the most recent demos (playable characters level 20), the level 24 enemy takes a lot of time and the level 25 beats the party in almost every demo showed.
Yeah, that's how I recalled it too
No, not at all. One backslash from Shulk looks stronger than a full special combo in 2.
My "looks exactly like the previous games" remark was a response to the critique that the game looked boring, though I will clarify and retract it, if the critique was meant that the game looks boring because the battles will last too long. (Although the battles, especially Boss Battles, lasted really long in previous games, especially if you were underlevel. XenoX Spoilers Anyone remember Zu Pharg? The battle in this video lasts well over 10 minutes)

But from the people who have actually played the previews, none have reported that the battles were feeling boring. If anything many felt overwhelmed by the complexity of the battles:

GameInformer
Battles in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 are fun and engaging; even though Rex auto-attacks, managing your positioning, blades, and arts is satisfying when you combo them just right. The most exciting moments came as my party gauge filled up and I began chaining attacks together. Stringing together attacks proved most satisfying as I churned through several lengthy battles.
IGN
Xenoblade's battles are a frantic mix of charging icons, switching characters, finding and mashing buttons for short quick time events, and darting your eyes around every corner of the screen to manage a set of interconnected systems. There's a lot going on here, and I immediately realized even this low-level grunt was going to take some strategy and perseverance.
Eurogamer
Battles are a mix of positioning and timing of your character, and a constant, dizzying balancing act of keeping your eyes on all the information available to you. There are numbers to track in each corner of the gameplay screen, making battles a stat-filled spaghetti of bars and meters, with the actual action taking place behind all that, in the middle.

TLDR: I guess what I'm saying is that watching a Xenoblade battle really isn't that fun (I personally dont watch Lets Plays of the previous games and if I do I skip through the battles because watching them is kind of boring), and you will hopefully get more enjoyment out of actually playing them.

X didn't have penalties for fighting higher level stuff. And they never show off high level battling for these games, it's always minimal unenhanced gear and arts and skills and all that, doing things slowly because they apparently don't think people can handle paying attention.

EDIT: Wow, this post is now edited!

Something pretty cool here that I noticed, if you hit multiple special attack buttons at the first stage, they'll all go off but the last one to hit will inflict the status. One more layer of timing to think about.

CGiRanger

Banned
Why does a lvl24 enemy have like 999999999 hp?
Forgot to mention that I believe that particular enemy (the Cunning Saggie?) is a "Unique Monster". These Monsters have far far higher HP than regular Monsters, so a regular lvl24 enemy won't have that much HP. Unique Monsters are a staple of the series and are always a super challenge especially if you try to take one on that is several levels higher than you, and will likely take you a very long time to take down. And you'll most likely die against any Unique Monster a few levels higher than you (anything over 10 levels will likely one-hit kill your entire team instantly)

I think the reason that all the recent previews failed taking down the Cunning Saggie is because they were not doing the right combos and sealing enemy arts like the NoE crew did against it. There's definitely going to be a much greater challenge.

I also think that in XenoX the Skell and Overdrive was really OP, so that actually took a lot of challenge out of things.

Harpoon

Forgot to mention that I believe that particular enemy (the Cunning Saggie?) is a "Unique Monster". These Monsters have far far higher HP than regular Monsters, so a regular lvl24 enemy won't have that much HP. Unique Monsters are a staple of the series and are always a super challenge especially if you try to take one on that is several levels higher than you, and will likely take you a very long time to take down. And you'll most likely die against any Unique Monster a few levels higher than you (anything over 10 levels will likely one-hit kill your entire team instantly)

I think the reason that all the recent previews failed taking down the Cunning Saggie is because they were not doing the right combos and sealing enemy arts like the NoE crew did against it. There's definitely going to be a much greater challenge.

I also think that in XenoX the Skell and Overdrive was really OP, so that actually took a lot of challenge out of things.

Yeah, Cunning Saggie's a unique monster, so I don't think it's exactly indicative of all battles.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
All the enemies we have seen in all the videos, demo whatever have been damage sponges. I don't buy the excuse that's on purpose for all.

DMquEfhVQAATRVk.jpg

Didn't notice this until now, kinda funny since it's so random. lol

heringer

All the enemies we have seen in all the videos, demo whatever have been damage sponges. I don't buy the excuse that's on purpose for all.

Yeah, I'm a bit concerned too.

Hopefully the combat is heavily based on resistances and they just haven't really balanced the demos.

I have over 200 hours in Xenoblade X and it was never that bad (characters shouting in parallel one over the other with practically no break for several minutes).

Yes it was. I have well over 150 in XCX and it was that bad.

Anyway the new direct feed is amazing. Like my fears on how the game looked are totally gone

KLoWn

Watching the GameXplain video with sound (couldn't the first time) and goddamn, they do talk a lot don't they lol.

I can't remember it being this bad in the other two games? Well, it probably was in XC when I think about it.

Reki

New video, nice!

Any place to discuss about the battle system after GAF is dead? :(

This may get me banned, but whathever; some members are working on a new forum, ResetEra, which is expected to launch soon. I love this thread, the interesting Xenoblade fans on GAF and the sales discussion, but I'll probably move to the new place once it opens. Let's continue talking about XB2 there!

I'll see you on the other side :)

EhoaVash

:eek: really nice design for this persona also yeah I have a feeling a lot of the characters are going to be super chatty. That last direct showed how chatty that Gramps character was. Just wouldn't shut up

boo

Gold Member
I noticed in the latest play-thrus on youtube that when enemies target Rex from a distance while he is running, there is a yellow circle around him. The number of orbs in the circle show the number of enemies that have him in their sights. When he is not targeted anymore, the yellow circle disappears. A neat way to know if you are targeted or safe.

Almond

Well, since most people seem to have jumped ship.....I'll try and keep this thread afloat.

10/25/2017 Update

https://twitter.com/XenobladeJP/status/923082894616047616

Argentum Shokai, looking from the outside it is like this too!
There are plenty of shops in the ship hanging like a balloon by giant goddess beasts.

10/26/2017 Update

https://twitter.com/XenobladeJP/status/923449340965691392

Boss of Argentum Shokai, President Bana (Voice: Atsuo Otsuka).
Even business opportunities do not miss, it is a great person like a model of a merchant. The body is also very big, about twice as large as a tiger! It is exactly what it is! !

Andyliini

This is a great topic on keeping up with different blades, and other news for the game. I'm hyped, as I loved both of the previous titles in the series.

Almond

I'm still here and always down to discuss Xeno. Those are some nice pics. I wonder who will be the most famous manga artist Takahashi can get to design a Blade.

I figured there'd still be a few people hanging around, but after having not been updated in almost three days I assumed most of the main contributors had left. I'm not really familiar with most manga/anime artists, unless they're one's associated with games.

I'm curious to see who the biggest name they get is though. Probably saved for closer to launch whoever it is.

New Update Rare Blade

https://twitter.com/XenobladeJP/status/923808492779008000

DNIGi6eU8AA5KS5.jpg:large

Introducing Rare Blade "Newz"!
It is also a military Blade that uses muffickoo arms floating in the air. Extraordinary sword is great force though!
The design is Takeshi Nogami, and the voice is Yoko Hikasa too.

https://twitter.com/XenobladeJP/status/923808945394761728

sIoaK5F.gif

You can see the moving "news" here too!
Even when I am training for muscle training, when I move forward, I keep my arms together ... I feel aesthetics too

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
These blades designs are getting more and more hilarious XD wtf monolith... chasing the wrong crowd?

Soriku

What the hell lmao

Are the muscle arms supposed to be extensions or part of her? Cuz she has normal arms too.

Also despite bigass arms she still use a sword...and does the sheath double as a cannon or something?

adroit

Eh, I like it. The more outlandish the better.

Same here. I only wish the world and wildlife matched the zaniness of the blades. Guest artists designed the blades but the rest of what we've seen (so far) looks pretty standard for Xenoblade. So the blades really stand out.

I'm really looking forward to it. So glad they got pre-load working. Downloading a 10+ GB game on release night would have been unbearable.

Top Bottom