• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 previews

Because people desperately want to be right with their original prediction of "This won't hit until after the new year."

I don't get it. Nintendo said 2017 from the beginning on this one, no? Then they reconfirmed it at E3.

Yeah. And then they said it again at Gamescon that it was coming later this year.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
The main character looks so terrible. It's not just the ugly diving suit nonsense, I've had my fill of RPGs where a child has to run around saving the world.

I wonder why they regressed from the previous two games and couldn't have a more mature main character? A shame, as everything else looks really good.

Xbro

I really enjoyed the footage, my only disappointment is that it looks like it's pretty much confirmed that gear won't change your character appearance. I guess they didn't have the time to implement it? No other reason not to include it when the last two games had it. Such a bummer, man. :(

It seems like appearance and gear are separate like X.

Fou-Lu

The main character looks so terrible. It's not just the ugly diving suit nonsense, I've had my fill of RPGs where a child has to run around saving the world.

I wonder why they regressed from the previous two games and couldn't have a more mature main character? A shame, as everything else looks really good.

They did say that he is older than he looks.

There is no weird obsession. It was an observation.

They literally say in the footage reiterating that it's a 2017 release. It's a consistent thing in Xenoblade 2 threads with people saying that it won't release in 2017 despite every evidence to the contrary. I don't really understand.

Fou-Lu

That's a lame excuse though.

Compare him to Shulk and Elma. It's a huge downgrade.

Shulk looks great in art, but awful in game, older or. not. Elma is obviously a better design than either of them, but she also got replaced by a create-a-character. Rex isn't a great design, but I personally find him inoffensive. If we can change his clothes (which I am inclined to think we can) he might even have a chance of looking cool.

They literally say in the footage reiterating that it's a 2017 release. It's a consistent thing in Xenoblade 2 threads with people saying that it won't release in 2017 despite every evidence to the contrary. I don't really understand.

I don't think it's going to release in 2018. I've said December since it was revealed in January lol. I would have no problem if it were bumped a couple months to make sure it was all polished up.

Because a Young Adult Story kinda requires a young adult by definition?

I think that was part of what he complains about?

Then why frame it as an inherent regression when the devil's in the details? Xenoblade 1 is a young adult Story as well. Shulk is exactly the teenager who saves the world. But he just happens to be a more interesting character than most who do that sort of thing.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Then why frame it as an inherent regression when the devil's in the details? Xenoblade 1 is a young adult Story as well.

A young adult is someone that looks like, you know, a young adult. Think Squall from Final Fantasy 8. Or, well, Shulk from Xenoblade 1.

Not this 10 year old looking little squirt we're stuck with. He can be a 1000 year old dragon in human form or whatever stupid nonsense, but he looks like a child.

Reki

They did say that he is older than he looks.

Wouldn't it be unexpected if Rex really was a 1000 year old dragon?

Just kidding of course. Even though I'm not too fond of his design, I don't think it is this blasphemy to the franchise some make him to be.

Edit: Dammit enigmatic_alex44.

Almond

Aside from just a direct sequel to X with same characters to finish that plot I always thought a game where you play as the descendents of the ark ship hundreds of years later on Mira kind of like the gap seen in the starting cutscene of Xenogears and then the actual game.

I also thought the multiple ark ships from Earth also allow for a variety of settings within that universe.

After Xenogears and Xenosaga I'm interested in seeing Sci-Fi.

Though I'm not surprised then weren't with this first. Especially if they are able to release these every 2.5 years now.

I also don't have an issue with a game like the original Xenoblade. It's just several elements of XB2's presentation are ones that I don't like.

I do hope mounts are plentiful as the walking speed feels slow though it's faster than the first Xenoblade.

I'll still definitely enjoy the exploration of XB2.

Yeah, there's a lot of ways they could go with a sequel, but with the way it ends I'd think they'd go with something that doesn't happen too far after the first one. Or a direct sequel that takes place at the time as X, but with one of the other surviving ships, maybe somewhere else on Mira or even space. Space travel in a sequel could be interesting...

The new gameplay footage looks a ton better.I don't care about seeing too much of it, I just want to play it already. And after this new town I'm kind of getting Final Fantasy 9 vibes from it for some reason.

I admit I wasn't sold on the character style they went with here, but they've grown on me tremendously over time. I think I can easily say I like Rex's design way more than Shulk's. I actually really like all the main characters we've had a good look at so far. I especially love Pyra and Poppi.

Mister Wolf

Yeah, there's a lot of ways they could go with a sequel, but with the way it ends I'd think they'd go with something that doesn't happen too far after the first one. Or a direct sequel that takes place at the time as X, but with one of the other surviving ships, maybe somewhere else on Mira or even space. Space travel in a sequel could be interesting...

The new gameplay footage looks a ton better.I don't care about seeing too much of it, I just want to play it already. And after this new town I'm kind of getting Final Fantasy 9 vibes from it for some reason.

I admit I wasn't sold on the character style they went with here, but they've grown on me tremendously over time. I think I can easily say I like Rex's design way more than Shulk's. I actually really like all the main characters we've had a good look at so far. I especially love Pyra and Poppi.

I wonder what amiibo we will get. Rex and Pyra should be a lock.

plufim

I would bet cash dollars that the Shulk amiibo unlocks a Shulk costume for Rex.

And a robo-Fiora costume for Pyra

(Xenoblade 1 spoilers)

TDLink

Because people desperately want to be right with their original prediction of "This won't hit until after the new year."

I don't get it. Nintendo said 2017 from the beginning on this one, no? Then they reconfirmed it at E3.

Yeah. It was 2017 when it was revealed and they've reiterated 2017 every single time the game has been shown and talked about.

A bunch of people just don't believe it, almost like they don't want it to actually hit this year just so they're proven "right" or something, even though there has never been a shred of evidence of this game not actually coming out this year.

I don't really understand it.

Mister Wolf

Yeah. It was 2017 when it was revealed and they've reiterated 2017 every single time the game has been shown and talked about.

A bunch of people just don't believe it, almost like they don't want it to actually hit this year just so they're proven "right" or something, even though there has never been a shred of evidence of this game not actually coming out this year.

I don't really understand it.

Some people are "glass is half empty".

plufim

Some people are "glass is half empty".
Some people want their "hot take" from E3 of Xenoblade being delayed so badly that they'll probably still be sure it's out in 2018 even when it comes out in late 2017 as planned.

That or they'll find some daft reason to move the goalpost.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I think Rex looks at least in the later half of his teens. In no way does he look 10 years old.
Another thing to consider is they didn't give him a more adult voice in the dub for no reason.
Hell he even has a job supposadly

Renna Hazel

Never knew people were so against characters that look young. Not sure I really understand what the big deal about that is. Personality matters most in my mind.

Mory Dunz

^^
I remember someone mentioned they saw customization options but I have no idea.
I need costume changing confirmed right now lol

That's a lame excuse though.

Compare him to Shulk and Elma. It's a huge downgrade.

...how old do you think shulk is?

I wouldn't be surprised if him and Rex are the same age. Like 17-18.

Anyway, saw the HQ footage from nintendo UK. Looks good. The music in the town was good graphically, albeit bombastic heh

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Looking over these previews got me to boot up Xenoblade Chronicles X again to maybe bum around for a few hours, cause I'm still so sad I bounced off that game. I pulled my chair up about four feet from the TV and literally all the text was still painful to try and read. What on earth were they thinking with that game?

Mister Wolf

Looking over these previews got me to boot up Xenoblade Chronicles X again to maybe bum around for a few hours, cause I'm still so sad I bounced off that game. I pulled my chair up about four feet from the TV and literally all the text was still painful to try and read. What on earth were they thinking with that game?

Takahashi cant get it right all the time.

The Technomancer

As long as it's well done, who cares?

I'm going to need to see more of the actual plot before I render judgement. Xenoblade 1 had some coming of age stuff to it, but it threw Shulk into some serious shit basically right away. So far this looks a bit more boilerplate, in a way that has me nervous

random25

Because coming-of-age is the most exhausted and arguably the most cliche theme in modern-day fantasy storytelling.

I would say zombies.

I'm going to need to see more of the actual plot before I render judgement. Xenoblade 1 had some coming of age stuff to it, but it threw Shulk into some serious shit basically right away. So far this looks a bit more boilerplate, in a way that has me nervous

We're talking about a Takahashi game here.

The Technomancer

Takahashi cant get it right all the time.

Like for all that I dislike about XCX, most of it related to NLA, I still think the combat and the beautiful world design would be enough for me to put several dozen hours into it killing time if I could just read the fucking menus without my eyes actually hurting

Yeah I know, I'm half expecting ten hours in we learn the blades are really his dead parents communing with him via an USK field or something and every time he summons one of them a star goes out. I just...need to know there's going to be a bit more of that in here than what we're seeing

^^
I remember someone mentioned they saw customization options but I have no idea.
I need costume changing confirmed right now lol

...how old do you think shulk is?

I wouldn't be surprised if him and Rex are the same age. Like 17-18.

Anyway, saw the HQ footage from nintendo UK. Looks good. The music in the town was good graphically, albeit bombastic heh

When going in the menu there's an option of customizing your Cosmetics for characters and there was a Cosmetics shop in the town. That's our best chance for changing equipment.

You have to admit that it's something that seems to dominate conversations about Xenoblade 2. Not necessarily you, but it's something that is regularly brought up almost every time the game is discussed.

I agree it gets brought up a lot.

duckroll

Hopefully when it says he's writing the script this time, he's actually writing the script alone and not calling in boring ass screenwriters to "contribute" how to dumb down ideas and write corny dialogue like in Xenoblade and Xenoblade X. Yuichiro Takeda suuuuuuuuucks!

random25

Yeah I know, I'm half expecting ten hours in we learn the blades are really his dead parents communing with him via an USK field or something and every time he summons one of them a star goes out. I just...need to know there's going to be a bit more of that in here than what we're seeing

Even the first game didn't reveal that much in previews. If we just base it from his previous works, you can be assured that there's something more than what they are revealing story-wise. The use of the term Elysium is some after-life shit already lol.

Hopefully when it says he's writing the script this time, he's actually writing the script alone and not calling in boring ass screenwriters to "contribute" how to dumb down ideas and write corny dialogue like in Xenoblade and Xenoblade X. Yuichiro Takeda suuuuuuuuucks!

I haven't seen his name pop up in any trailers at least, for now lol.

Changeable equipments never confirms customizable character 3D model. It's more likely we're getting something like TWEWY, you can change equipments but no character model change. Or there's only a few of them we can choose between, each with their own 2D arts.

Mister Wolf

Changeable equipments never confirms customizable character 3D model. It's more likely we're getting something like TWEWY, you can change equipments but no character model change. Or there's only a few of them we can choose between, each with their own 2D arts.

I think people will be glad just to have the robo chaps gone.

Mister Wolf

I can deal with the main character's pants honestly, but I really can't excuse that design for the main blade girl in 2017 especially when both of the other Xenoblade games have been tolerable about this

They really haven't though. Plenty of sexy female outfits in both xenoblade games.

I can deal with the main character's pants honestly, but I really can't excuse that design for the main blade girl in 2017 especially when both of the other Xenoblade games have been tolerable about this

Right from the get go in Xenoblade Chronicles you can buy a bikini top and bottom for Fiora and they have the best stats out of any clothing for her. The game encouraged you to make her wear them.

Also, I don't think your Blades will have any changeable clothing. They're like Persona.

xenoblade-20.jpg

The Technomancer

They really haven't though. Plenty of sexy female outfits in both xenoblade games.

As optional stuff sure, but...I dunno, to me there's still a difference between this:
and what basically looks like a Neptunia character

Maybe I'm overreacting, but I have a viscerally negative reaction to her "an inch of cloth across the crotch and two individually shrink wrapped melon breasts" design

EDIT: I'm not joking when I say that Sharla was the only character I ever ended up putting anything bikini like on, and not for any sort of prudishness I literally don't think I just ever noticed that Fiora's or Melia's bikini sets were good.

Top Bottom