• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Releases December 1st 2017

3 million seller in Japan alone confirmed

Or just an actually pretty limited edition.

It'll sell well.

Just got my NA CE preorder in, but the fact that only Best Buy has it up makes me nervous they put them up before they got their allotment. Hopefully I'm nervous over nothing and it won't get cancelled.

Edit:
Ugh, I'm already nervous for NA preorders...
Here. GCU applies.

Looks great, hope they made a proper tutorial in game this time, so we don't need another XB2 direct to explain the whole battle system again.

Also Nia seems like the new Sharla, a healer that aggros too much at early game.

Kanann

I don't mind, I'm now waiting for pr answer it's dual audio or hardware regeion base language or not, I like to play on weeb option.

Aizo

Banned
I think the JP narrator is "annoying" in the sense that it's a very stereotypical sort of court jester/comedian voice with silly speech patterns. But at least it has flavor and intent. The English narration was really, really poorly done. Whatever intent they had for it, it came off as an uninterested person narrating what should be an exciting introduction to a big adventure RPG. The thing is, Nintendo is usually really good with reading intent and translating that into something effective in other languages. With Xenoblade 2 everything I've seen from the first trailer has fallen flat. Very unusual.
I get you. For me, I felt like I was sitting in cute grandpa's charming countryside cabin and listening to a story. I won't be playing the game in English anyway, but I liked some of the voices more than a lot of other JRPGs English casts I've heard.

Stiler

So, bit new to this series since I didn't own a Wii for the last game.

However I saw videos of the previous game and how amazing it looked with the flying mechanics and mechs, etc.

I know this one was coming for the Switch and I was looking forward to it after what I saw of the previous one.

However upon looking at videos and things for this one.....where are the flying mechs and things? Don't tell me that they are ditching what looked like the most fun aspect of the game and making it a more traditional jrpg?

Fireblend

Banned

However I saw videos of the previous game and how amazing it looked with the flying mechanics and mechs, etc.

I know this one was coming for the Switch and I was looking forward to it after what I saw of the previous one.

However upon looking at videos and things for this one.....where are the flying mechs and things? Don't tell me that they are ditching what looked like the most fun aspect of the game and making it a more traditional jrpg?

Xenoblade Chronicles X on Wii U (the one with the mechs) was a sort of spinoff. This is a sequel to the original Xenoblade Chronicles (the Wii one), which is closer in atmosphere and setting to what you see in this trailer.

-Horizon-

They're all separate games even though they all have the "xenoblade" name.
There might be a couple of references to previous games but they're mostly just for fan service.

The person in charge of the franchise considers Xenoblade and Xenoblade X to be separate series. Xenoblade 1 and 2 are more linear, story driven, and in more fantasy-based settings while X focuses more on open world exploration in a sci-fi setting with mechs.

Slixshot

Banned
Where are the preorders for gamestop and amazon?

also, are we no longer able to use bestbuy's gamer club 20% on special editions? Is that a thing?

duckroll

I get you. For me, I felt like I was sitting in cute grandpa's charming countryside cabin and listening to a story. I won't be playing the game in English anyway, but I liked some of the voices more than a lot of other JRPGs English casts I've heard.

I think some of it is definitely down to how we process expectations of voices in our heads. The Xenoblade 2 voices just don't click for me at all. Every line feels like it's going for something and missing completely. I didn't even have issues with the Zelda voices at all, I liked what they did with it. So.... YMMV.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Both me (a diehard fan of XC) and a friend (who is barely into XC and thinks 2 is anime as hell) both watched the direct and loved grandpa dragon voice.

kevin1025

Banned
Can I ? Sure, it would be nice, but it seems so fast considering the X release on WiiU. I won't be surprised if it is pushed back to Q2 2018. Well, we'll see.

When you consider X released in Japan 2.5 years ago, it's not that short of a development. Plus we don't know how long it was in development during X.

Harpoon

Can I ? Sure, it would be nice, but it seems so fast considering the X release on WiiU. I won't be surprised if it is pushed back to Q2 2018. Well, we'll see.

X had them make an entirely new engine, which they're now reusing here along with other assets. Pretty big difference in development there.

Thoraxes

Preordered the fuck out of the CE.

Give it to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Also happy it's making the 2017 date they've always said it's going to have.

duckroll

When you consider X released in Japan 2.5 years ago, it's not that short of a development. Plus we don't know how long it was in development during X.

Considering Monolithsoft is a ~100 person studio, and they worked on X and BotW at the same time, I would say the turnaround is very impressive for a RPG.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Considering Monolithsoft is a ~100 person studio, and they worked on X and BotW at the same time, I would say the turnaround is very impressive for a RPG.

It's why everyone expected XC2 to be delayed. They do all this art work for other big games and just got off making a meaty RPG that itself was delayed.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe

To be fair though, a lot of people are comparing when XCX released outside of Japan (December 2015) to now, when really we should be thinking about when XCX released in Japan (April 2015) to now. It's not two years, it'll have been a good two and a half years, actually a bit more than that since it went gold.

wmlk

2017 has always seemed logical when you consider that this doesn't seem like a technological leap like Xenoblade and Xenoblade X were. It's much less ambitious in that regard.

That's not to downplay how great they are. The fact that this is releasing this year is a testament to their skill.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
To be fair though, a lot of people are comparing when XCX released outside of Japan (December 2015) to now, when really we should be thinking about when XCX released in Japan (April 2015) to now. It's not two years, it'll have been a good two and a half years, actually a bit more than that since it went gold, not simply two years.

AAA RPGS take at least three years. Even if you consider this AA+ or something like that (which is fair) two and a half years is a great turn around. It's going to take Atlus 6 years to do Persona 6.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
AAA RPGS take at least three years. Even if you consider this AA+ or something like that (which is fair) two and a half years is a great turn around. It's going to take Atlus 6 years to do Persona 6.

Yes the two and a half year turnaround is amazing, especially considering Monolith's quality being up there with the best in the business. I'd say it's AA but really the only AAA JRPG's in the budget sense come out of Square Enix (and maybe Ni No Kuni from Bamco). So for what it is compared to a Tales game, it's pretty amazing.

But this 2 1/2 year timeframe couldn't have happened without the work they put in making the engine for XCX. Looks like they have a great engine for HD assets.

That said...more time put into making games is always good, so it's not like I'm amazingly thrilled that this took less time than XCX. I didn't even run into a single glitch while playing XCX, the polish showed there. Long waits for games are good if the extra time goes to improving the game.

Fresh crow here!

Come get your fresh crow here!

eating-crow.jpg

duckroll

To be fair though, a lot of people are comparing when XCX released outside of Japan (December 2015) to now, when really we should be thinking about when XCX released in Japan (April 2015) to now. It's not two years, it'll have been a good two and a half years, actually a bit more than that since it went gold.

Kingdom Hearts 3 was announced June 2013.

I said this before in the direct thread but wow, Nintendo went from hiding Monado from the E3 press site to featuring this in one of their biggest directs of the year. Too bad the narration is quite a miss.

And there are still some people doubting the release date??

Top Bottom