• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Review Thread

Andyliini

In this topic, I'll post review scores for the game, and sometimes a quote, if necessary. If you find a review not mentioned in the thread, link it, and I will update the OP.

Current Metacritic: 85 (46 reviews)

DualShockers: 9.5/10
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is one of those RPGs that I didn't want to end. Luckily, there is enough post-game content to satisfy players looking to sink 100's of hours into more adventures with Rex and the party. However, I can't seem to shake the feeling that I was left with as the end credits rolled. I feel like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 showed me what it's like to go on a real adventure and it happens to be one that I don't think I will ever forget.

Nintendo World Report: 9,5/10
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is one of the finest JRPGs of the generation and perhaps of all time. The two or three complaints I have are nitpicks, the most significant of which likely won't occur for players taking their time and enjoying the incredible world that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 creates. Washing over any minor issues is one of the most engaging stories I've ever played, a vastly improved and fun combat system, and an out-of-this-world soundtrack. It sets a precedent for JRPGs on the Switch that I doubt will be topped, unless of course Monolith Soft somehow manages to pump out a Xenoblade Chronicles X 2 before the end of the generation.

IGN Spain: 9,2/10

Nintendo Life: 9/10
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on the Switch won't disappoint series fans, especially those that love the Wii original (or even experienced it on New 3DS). It's a new cast and world, with some fresh mechanics and ideas, but much is still familiar. The story has high points, the world and its varied Titan lands is intriguing, and it draws you in for many dozens of hours.
It's Monolith Soft doing what it does best, albeit without shaking off the occasional flaws of the series. It's ultimately an important part of an incredible launch year for the Switch - a reminder that while system concepts change some things are constant. This is another Xenoblade gem, and a must-have for the most dedicated of adventurers.

USGamer: 4,5/5
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 applies an energetic signature and wax seal to a wonderful year for the Nintendo Switch, and for JRPGs in general. Between the amount of time it takes to get used to the game and getting through everything it has to offer, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a worthy investment for series fans and newcomers.

GameReactor ES: 9/10

IGN Italia: 9/10

IGN: 8.5/10
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a standout RPG that manages to keep its story, combat, and exploration interesting over the course of at least 70 hours of adventure through an impressively varied and rich world. Getting from place to place can be confusing, but outside of that and a multi-hour progression roadblock near the end this is an excellent game full of tough, memorable battles and a positive message.

God is a Geek: 8,5/10
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 gives you a massive world to explore with a lovely cast of characters that come together brilliantly, but it suffers on the technical side of things.

Telegraph: 8/10
The game is a love-letter to traditional Japanese RPG design, and while some elements such as the story might remain antiquated, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 manages to inject the same wonder in the player that the classics do. All we need to do now is pour hundreds of hours into the game to see the whole journey through.

GameSpot: 7/10
On this and many other levels, Xenoblade 2 exhibits admirable depth. Adventurous types that enjoy complex combat systems can easily spend more than 100 hours uncovering Alrest's secrets and developing their team of Blades, provided they can come to terms with a handful of unavoidable shortcomings. It's equal parts pleasing and frustrating, but the struggle to keep up with everything thrown your way is more of a hurdle than a roadblock. It will be a tough pill to swallow for people who aren't accustomed to the typical cliches found in many Japanese RPGs, and its often clumsy nature keeps it from being the next groundbreaking Switch game, but Xenoblade 2 is worth pursuing if you've got enough patience to let it blossom.

GameCentral: 7/10
Nintendo goes full anime.

Cubed3: 7/10
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 tries its hardest to match the grandest of grand RPGs out there on the market, attempting to become Nintendo's own Final Fantasy. In doing so, though, whilst still wonderfully vast in its scale, and gripping in how things play out for the most part, it has lost its way slightly, becoming bogged down by an overly complex pre-battle system, marred by fights that mostly feel too hands-off/automated, and some terrible character visuals and voice work. There is indeed a lot to love about this, yet so much that makes you yearn for something more.

Eurogamer: "Recommended"
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a crunchier, more chaotic proposition than the rest of Nintendo's recent output, then. Monolith Soft either doesn't have the resources or the relentless tenacity to explore every one of its game mechanics with the rigour and finality of Nintendo EAD. But while the game's individual components are far from pristine, in combination they prove irresistible. And as with Rex, it is to the wrinkles and idiosyncrasies that we are ultimately drawn, and ultimately convinced.

GameXplain: "Loved" it

Simon Parkin's review for Eurogamer is a good one.

Here's one that hasn't been posted:

GameCentral: http://metro.co.uk/2017/11/30/xenoblade-chronicles-2-review-nintendo-goes-full-anime-7121728/

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is an unusual game in that it can manage to simultaneously feel weird and unique but also exhaustingly predictable. It’s also much more linear than its immediate predecessor, with much longer cut scenes. Many are going to find the storytelling aspect of the game a drag, which is a shame because things do get more interesting in the second half of the game. But considering how many dozens of hours that takes to get to many will have lost interest by then.

kunonabi

Good scores but it doesn't sound like im missing out on much personally since im a much bigger fan of X than i ever was of the original.

Reviews are as expected. It looks to be a great game, but lacking the immediate ambition of its two predecessors. And being a niche franchise, it'll receive more medicore scores, too. Not that it matters. Seems to be exactly the game that Xenoblade-fans hoped for.

So it's just as good as X? Disappointing.

So it's not only your offtopic postings that are bad ;)

Nekster

I'm reading some reviews and basically:

If you liked Xeno 1 and you're a hard jrpg fan = 9-10
If you're a casual jrpg player and/or didn't like Xeno 1 = 7

The main issues are its complexity and "too much anime".

i'm hyped as hell.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Is that even a complaine!!! It’s jrpg with anime art style!!! What the fuck are they expecting? I love Persona 5 and Valkyria Chronicles but both are as anime as fuck. Thankfully for me thats not really negative because I personally love anime.

I can see complexity turning some people off. It turned me off from X.

How big is this world compared to previous games.. Have they said anything about that?

blackjon24

Is that even a complaine!!! It’s jrpg with anime art style!!! What the fuck are they expecting? I love Persona 5 and Valkyria Chronicles but both are as anime as fuck. Thankfully for me thats not really negative because I personally love anime.

I have to agree with it being "too anime" and I love the art style of both persona 5 and valkyria chronicles and many other jrpgs. Many people have complained about this game being too anime yet it wasn't a problem with persona 5 or valkyria chronicles...

Maybe too anime isn't the right way to put it but to me it just looks generic and uninspired i guess. While the p5 and valkyria feel more distinct

Danjin44

I have to agree with it being "too anime" and I love the art style of both persona 5 and valkyria chronicles and many other jrpgs. Many people have complained about this game being too anime yet it wasn't a problem with persona 5 or valkyria chronicles...

Maybe too anime isn't the right way to put it but to me it just looks generic and uninspired i guess. While the p5 and valkyria feel more distinct

That was one of my fears at first but after seeing some blade designs and how over top most of them are, I end up liking it a lot. Also I'm glad to see characters have really nice facial expression on the characters.

Crazyorloco

Crazy. I was thinking there was no way this game was going to get released this year...and here we are. Not only is it released, but it's actually a great game according to reviews here.

Reviews seem pretty good. I did not like X much,I probably put about 25 hours before I finally said no more. This one looks like a more traditional JRPG though.

Managed to get a Switch on Black Friday, just in time for this then. Loved Xeno 1 and X a whole damn lot, so I expect this to fit in well.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I'm reading some reviews and basically:

If you liked Xeno 1 and you're a hard jrpg fan = 9-10
If you're a casual jrpg player and/or didn't like Xeno 1 = 7

i'm hyped as hell.

Persona 5 is not bad anime imo.
Its high quality well written adult stuff.

Xeno 2 kinda looks like bad anime.
Childish generic character artstyle
Meh voices.

I did order the game but i really have no clue if i will like it.

Meh voices.

I find that to be an unfair statement. Xenoblade 2 looks fine, it just goes for a more traditional jrpg-look tgan Persona 5. It's closer to something like Skies of Arcadia. Criticizing X2 for being 'too anime' just makes me think the reviewer wanted Pyra and co to be censored :/

Astral Dog

Hmm 🤔

Seems like the biggest offenders are poor (specially handheld) optimization, bad map design, confusing layout, and forced grind at the very end of the story.

The plot voice acting and characters also seem to be hit or miss and thats going to change your experience.IGN seems to praise it but Gamespot took out points for bland and cliche.

Overall good though

Danjin44

Meh voices.

Look I understand where you coming. The character design doesn't have the distinct look like Persona or Gravity Rush. but "too Anime" is stupid complain.

In honestly much, much prefer XC2 artstyle over XCX. to me XCX character models is as bad as Star Ocean 4. XC2's 3D models actually match the hand drawn portrait, I cant say the same about XCX or SO4&5

Tabasco

Thought about getting this, but the fact that I've never played a Xeno game before and the latest trailer having cringe voice acting is what's throwing me off.

Worth giving the game a chance anyway?

Sojiro

Look I understand where you coming. The character design doesn't have the distinct look like Persona or Gravity Rush. but "too Anime" is stupid complain.

In honestly much, much prefer XC2 artstyle over XCX. to me XCX character models is as bad as Star Ocean 4. XC2's 3D models actually match the hand drawn portrait, I cant say the same about XCX or SO4&5

Agreed there, some the characters were freakishly horrible in XCX, and a lot just looked really bland (with some exceptions). One thing I can say about XCX to XC2, is the environments in XCX look much better than what I have seen in XC2 so far. Mira in XCX looks and feels incredible, especially Noctilum and Sylvalum, I really hope XC2 has areas of that calibre, but we will see. I'm stoked, the game is reviewing damn well and I can't wait for my copy to come in. I still haven't finished my first playthrough of Skyrim, so i'm starting to get behind on Switch games already lol.

jrDev

Thought about getting this, but the fact that I've never played a Xeno game before and the latest trailer having cringe voice acting is what's throwing me off.

Turn off the voice acting?

jwillenn

Yes, but can we change the main character's pants/chaps to something less derp?

No, but you can lead with other characters.

I like how Rex (and damn near all other characters (I'm including Blades here) shown off through the Japanese site) look, so I intend to lead with all of them frequently.

jpadula

Neo Member

ther game got free DLC original jp voices, so u can switch (hah!;)

trikster40

I’m so torn. I really want this but never Played the first one. Now with the possibility of the first one being ported to switch, I may just wait on this, but I’m afraid it’s going to disappear off the shelves and go out of print. I’m still trying to finish Zelda and Mario, along with 100 other games on my backlog.

entremet

I’m so torn. I really want this but never Played the first one. Now with the possibility of the first one being ported to switch, I may just wait on this, but I’m afraid it’s going to disappear off the shelves and go out of print. I’m still trying to finish Zelda and Mario, along with 100 other games on my backlog.

Buy now, play later? Is physical a must? The game will be up in the eShop for many, many years as well.

czk51

Now with the possibility of the first one being ported to switch

The first was just called Xenoblade Chronicles, on Wii and 3DS. The game being discussed for porting to Switch is Xenoblade Chronicles X (Wii U), which is actually the second game. I never played it.

Either way I don't think playing in chronological order matters.

jpadula

Neo Member
I'm so torn. I really want this but never Played the first one. Now with the possibility of the first one being ported to switch, I may just wait on this, but I'm afraid it's going to disappear off the shelves and go out of print. I'm still trying to finish Zelda and Mario, along with 100 other games on my backlog.

You dont have to play xc1 to enjoy xc2; for me its tabula rasa (minus few minors); its connected that much as FFXV is to FFXIII

on the other hand community XC1 HD (on dolphin) is awesome:)

czk51

Doesn't appear that the Japanese voice option has been added yet in my copy even after the patch, but the English voices are growing on me. I actually really like Rex and Pyra's voices, definitely wasn't expecting to. Though I will say that in a few parts it's lacked a bit of impact.

Edit: The JP voice pack is an additional download via the eshop. Might be useful info for anyone else looking for it.

nick_b

Kimawolf has the OT claimed. Where you at dude? 4 hours til release. I'm hyped. Going in blind to this. Played about an hour of the 1st one on 3ds but didn't continue. The visuals we're just too blurry to enjoy for me.

Wamb0wneD

Meh voices.

What on earth is high quality about Persona's writing? The characters have zero progression, they go absolutely nowhere throughout the entire thing. Everyone has this miniarc in their dungeons which are of varying quality narrative wise and then nothing happens with them anymore. Such a bland cast. Haru was especially wasted.

The idea of society being it's own worst enemy is awsome but the whole thing is so badly paced it hurts. I liked the game but I wouldn't say it had "high quality writing" lol.

Top Bottom