• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch) is on the NA Press Site, PR and HQ screens in OP 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJIzana

not the biggest fan of the "animu" char design, but FAAAAAAAAAAAR better then XCX, so its ok on that front.

also i would be very (positivly) suprised if it actually launches this year in the west

Ugh... I'm done with this thread. Seriously... character design in X is NOT that bad. As usual, GAF blowing things out of proportion. -_-

Rncewind

Ugh... I'm done with this thread. Seriously... character design in X is NOT that bad. As usual, GAF blowing things out of proportion. -_-

im sorry you can not read my opinion on a topic like subjective as design and go on with your life, happens i guess

jackdoe

Character design wasn't a real problem, in that in the concept art (2D), everything looked fine. Character modeling was. The just did such a poor job bringing the 2D designs to 3D.

Memory

You know, I don't mind the anime visuals, if only because Monolith are finally providing half decent character models. Having said that, it would have been really nice if they could have just translated this:

poster1-1024x522.jpg

Into in-game graphics.

Technically Impossible with the scope they are going for on the switch.

XCX was an amazing achievement but they made sacrifices to get there. This is exactly the same, simple character models for an amazing fluid living game world.

Cwarrior

YouTube views

~24 hours after reveal:
Japan: 93,633
North America: 666,959

~60 hours after reveal:
Japan: 174,091
North America: 965,314

The total number of views from the NA trailer is quickly climbing towards the first teaser of XCX from January 2013.

I don't understand why the move to a more generic animu design, the first Xenoblade was much better received & sold better in the west then in japan(maybe the second one aswell).

I don't what Tetsuya Takahashi thinking, his got the guys who did the baten kaitos,disaster day of crisis,xenoblade 1 and soma bringer character designs on board but chose random animu charater designer that makes indistinguishable anime character designs.

Should of just got someone internal like Yasuyuki Honne(chrono cross&baten kaitos) instead of seeking someone out.

KupoNut

The blonde haired character looks exactly like Angela from Expelled from Paradise:
Vrm2tiD.jpg

Same character designer too (Masatsugu Saito), he didn't really try much.

I'm not liking these character designs, neither the Tales-style of cell-shading and hope they still improve this year.

skypunch

Banned
The blonde haired character looks exactly like Angela from Expelled from Paradise:
Vrm2tiD.jpg

I'm not liking these character designs, neither the Tales-style of cell-shading and hope they still improve this year.

I think she looks different. Different hair, different colour eyes, different armour design.

Actually don't mind the anime cel-shaded look, even if it is more generic as far as "modern anime style" goes. Still, would've killed to have seen a Xenoblade game with a similar cel-shaded style, but Kunihiko Tanaka's artwork:

His characters look best in a more anime-fitting form. When you try to render his characters into regular 3D models, they look like ass:

You have anime girls turning into swords, how do you think this is going turn out on the scale from Neptunia to Steins;Gate?

That's ok because power of friendship will triumph! This is going to end Tales of Graces F, Xenoblade edition but worse, isn't it?

Duckroll translated the script on the other page and it pretty much "confirms" she's the sword. The blonde hair chick most likely is one as well.
giphy.gif

Vrm2tiD.jpg

People keep posting this movie is it actually any good?

Actually don't mind the anime cel-shaded look, even if it is more generic as far as "modern anime style" goes. Still, would've killed to have seen a Xenoblade game with a similar cel-shaded style, but Kunihiko Tanaka's artwork:

His characters look best in a more anime-fitting form. When you try to render his characters into regular 3D models, they look like ass:

I'm disappointed that after years of fucking up Tanaka's art with 3d models, the one time they actually do use an anime aesthetic they ditch him.

Tarsul

No. At first it might appear so but it devolves into mindless fighting and
generic story.... although I DID like the character designs.

Speaking of which, I agree that Xenoblade's and XCX' artstyles (or the represantation of their artstyles in the game) were really bad. So going anime is not really a downgrade. (Although especially the design of the boy and the blonde girl should've been better. I like the red haired girl, though)

anaron

I'm disappointed that after years of fucking up Tanaka's art with 3d models, the one time they actually do use an anime aesthetic they ditch him.

preach. T_T

maybe this will be a test for them to try it out with him later? Tanaka is an old friend of Takahashi and usually his first choice.

wrowa

The new art is on the generic side and it really looks like taken straight out of a Tales game, but I don't think it can be denied that the visual execution is far more pleasing than what happened in Xenoblade or Xenoblade X. Personal preferences aside, the in-game models of Xenoblade 2 actually nail the anime aesthetic very well, which is exactly what the devs are striving for.

It does give the game - or at least the trailer - a weird vibe, though. It's Xenoblade, but at the same time it doesn't really feel like it. I do like that the environments seem to be more saturated/colorful this time around, though. Xenoblade and X were always a bit too drab for my liking.

It's also still all kinds of weird to me that this is supposed to be a 2017 release. Even if it's "just" the size of the first Xenoblade, a development time of a mere two years strike me as really short. So much so that I even kinda wonder if Nintendo gave the studio a smaller budget this time around.

jackal27

Banned
Vrm2tiD.jpg

Dammit. This is the shit that I hate in JRPGs. We have so much of this Monolith, what are you doing? Why not make a game that looks unique?

anaron

Dammit. This is the shit that I hate in JRPGs. We have so much of this Monolith, what are you doing? Why not make a game that looks unique?
we had a more unique artist in Tanaka and people complained because they seem to fudge the translation to 3D

synce

What's up with this stupid naming scheme, is it 1993 again? Japan is calling it Xenoblade 2, not Xenoblade X 2, but here it's Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Edit: Disregard what I said, I just remembered they tacked on Chronicles to the original game as well for some reason. Still seems unnecessary but whatever

wrowa

What's up with this stupid naming scheme, is it 1993 again? Japan is calling it Xenoblade 2, not Xenoblade X 2, but here it's Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Why do I see so much confusion over the Chronicles moniker? For some reason, some people seem to think that Xenoblade X was Xenoblade Chronicles in the west.

Xenoblade -> Xenoblade Chronicles

Xenoblade X -> Xenoblade Chronicles X

Xenoblade 2 -> Xenoblade Chronicles 2

The series has always been called Xenoblade Chronicles in the west, since NoE apparently thought that adding "Chronicles" to Xenoblade makes it more obvious that it's a JRPG. And despite being an unnecessary addition to the title, they keep it to this day.

DemWalls

maybe this will be a test for them to try it out with him later? Tanaka is an old friend of Takahashi and usually his first choice.

This would be good, but I get the feeling they will continue to give Tanaka's designs the 3D treatment. We can only hope that they will nail it, someday.

If only they outsourced the character models to that company that does the ones for the Atelier series, among others...

DemWalls

I still think it's so weird that they said 2017 for this game. they must be closer than we think, right?

They also said that Cyberpunk 2077 would come out in 2015 :p

Seriously though, when you think about it it's not unbelievable, at least if we're talking of a release in Japan: if it comes out at the end of the year, that would be 2 and a half years after Xeno X, while being probably smaller in scale, and it's not their first HD project, so they already have the engine ready and all the necessary know-how.

rhandino

Banned
I think people are jumping the gun a bit. I think she's spiritually connected to the sword, but I don't think she literally forms into a sword, lol.
We saw the sword being engulfed in flames in the trailer and her name means Blaze or Flame.

I am 100% sure that she is the sword or something living inside it ala Fi from Skyward Sword.

DemWalls

I think people are jumping the gun a bit. I think she's spiritually connected to the sword, but I don't think she literally forms into a sword, lol.

Are you into anime? Because the "human weapon" concept is a (tired) cliché by this point. Not strange to see Xeno use it.

skypunch

Banned
Are you into anime? Because the "human weapon" concept is a (tired) cliché by this point. Not strange to see Xeno use it.

We saw the sword being engulfed in flames in the trailer and her name means Blaze or Flame.

I am 100% sure that she is the sword or something living inside it ala Fi from Skyward Sword.

Yeah, it's just so many people are thinking that she is literally the sword, as in physically, when it's probably more her soul inhabits it or something.

Dremorak

Banned

If you have finished the first xenoblade you can see how they can take some tropes and turn them on their heads, I will reserve judgement on the story till after I've finished it

duckroll

I'm pretty sure she literally transforms into the sword. There'll probably be an elaborate henshin sequence. Maybe there'll be some nudity too, as her armor breaks apart and she morphs into the core that the armor reforms around, creating the sword.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I wish they would just give us an X port this year. I know X2 ain't coming this year so I want a port of X at 1080p (assuming the Switch is capable). As well as some gameplay changes and UI (!!!) changes.

I tried to play XCX, but I lost interest at about 20hrs once the grind started kicking in, and I realized that I didn't have it in me to continue playing it for another 100 hours. Is Xenoblade better about this? Everyone stating that X is p dissimilar to the original makes me curious if I should play that before this is released on the Switch.

udivision

I'm pretty sure she literally transforms into the sword. There'll probably be an elaborate henshin sequence. Maybe there'll be some nudity too, as her armor breaks apart and she morphs into the core that the armor reforms around, creating the sword.

Oh brother.

They're going to make me miss the completely harmless days of Fi being the Master Sword in Skyward Sword.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom