• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch) is on the NA Press Site, PR and HQ screens in OP 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect a big part of the perception that the Switch's launch announcement looked thin came from everyone presuming, not unreasonably, that there is no way this is on course for localization by the end of 2017.

I doubt it very much myself (not mentally counting it as a 2017 release until I see a firm date), but thinking on it further, it's also not urgently competing for man-hours with notoriously localization-heavy projects (that we know are coming any sooner) like Animal Crossing or Fire Emblem, unless the mobile versions of those are closer to full games than we might think.

Some Nobody

So in two separate interviews Reggie has brought up Xenoblade 2.

First here:
I was a Zelda fan before I was a Nintendo employee, and I can tell you that as I’ve experienced that game, it just gets me more and more excited to play. 1-2 Switch is a party in a box. And so that is going to be an all family type of experience that will then broaden the footprint. And then Mario Kart 8 is going to expand it even further. And so that’s what I see happening. A game like Arms will have a diverse footprint. A game like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 will be much more narrow.

And so, I think it’s the best way I could describe how the consumer base for Switch is going to evolve over time. And certainly by the end of our first full year, it’ll be kids, young adults, parents and gamers occupying that footprint.

Then here:

"With Zelda, with Kart, with Xenoblade, I think the initial consumer for Switch will be more young adults with disposable incomes, given the price points and the large library," Fils-Aime said. That doesn't mean Nintendo is ditching its core audience. The company will continue to skew toward a younger crowd with the 3DS.

"In the end, we want people of all ages engaging with Mario and Zelda and the content that's available across both platforms," Fils-Aime said.

This doesn't feel like Xenoblade Chronicles X, which popped up every 3 Directs and was always "We'll hear more from it later this year", with zero subtitled information and whatnot. It feels like they're trying to position this as an actual title in their launch line-up for the first 12 months.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
So in two separate interviews Reggie has brought up Xenoblade 2.

First here:

Then here:

This doesn't feel like Xenoblade Chronicles X, which popped up every 3 Directs and was always "We'll hear more from it later this year", with zero subtitled information and whatnot. It feels like they're trying to position this as an actual title in their launch line-up for the first 12 months.

I think they are at least trying
Zelda, Mario and Xeno within the first 9 months on the market would clearly be GREAT, especially with Splatoon and Arms being distributed alongside/in between those "big hitters" (I know Splatoon is bigger than Xeno in terms of sales ;p )

Scrawnton

Reggie hinting at Xenoblade this year is crazy. Well not hinting, official papers say 2017 but we all doubt it. If we get Xenoblade 2 in 2017 then Switch's first year is one for the ages in my opinion.

True Fire

So we've got anime aesthetic, bath scenes, sword waifus and "I love this world because you're in it".

I love Xeno 1 and X might just be one of my favorite games of all time, but I have a bad feeling about this.

On the contrary, the fact that it's clearly a cheesy JRPG is why I'm excited for it. X took itself way too seriously.

Valahart

So is everyone also thinkig there's absolutely no way this is actually coming this year?

The trailer gave me the feeling it was a 2018 release minimum.

Scrawnton

So is everyone also thinkig there's absolutely no way this is actually coming this year?

The trailer gave me the feeling it was a 2018 release minimum.
Its currentty announced for 2017 in Japan and NA (never checked on Europe) and it's currently January. Given how long XCX has been done it's very possible for the game to be ready this year, but I just have my doubts because typically no big JRPGs release this early on a systems life.

I would love to be proven wrong on this. I can see it happening depending on how robust the new engine they made is. It's very possible that it's ready. 8-4 Play has been talking about a mystery project for a while now so maybe they on this project.

Its currentty announced for 2017 in Japan and NA (never checked on Europe) and it's currently January. Given how long XCX has been done it's very possible for the game to be ready this year, but I just have my doubts because typically no big JRPGs release this early on a systems life.

I would love to be proven wrong on this. I can see it happening depending on how robust the new engine they made is. It's very possible that it's ready. 8-4 Play has been talking about a mystery project for a while now so maybe they on this project.

John has said 8-4 isn't working on the game (Source).

I'd be very surprised if this game is released in 2017, but if it is, I would also be extremely happy. To have this and Mario Odyssey for the latter part of the year would be incredible!

Valahart

I'm thinking the opposite for the exact same reason.

XCX was done by the end of 2015. That gives 2 years development for X2. Which for a huge JRPG doesn't seem like nearly enough.

duckroll

Is there any way to copy the background image on the recruitment page?

Here you go.

bg.jpg

mv01.jpg

mv02.jpg

mv04.jpg

bg.jpg

XCX was done by the end of 2015. That gives 2 years development for X2. Which for a huge JRPG doesn't seem like nearly enough.

XCX launched in April 2015 in Japan and it's possible the game entered preproduction a few months earlier.

Necron

Got to admit... out of all the games, this is the one that would make me buy a Switch.

Xenoblade Chronicles was a fantastic JRPG. I was never impressed by its sequel (XCX) though so I'm cautious and will wait for more information before getting excited.

XCX came out in April 2015. So at this point I'm guessing they've been working on this game for 2 years. I don't know when they start planning the next game as one game concludes.

Here you go.

hmm I guess judging by that first image the girl doesn't actually transform into the sword (Maybe she does for a special or something). So maybe it is a more symbiotic relationship. Makes sense though, since if she did transform into the sword she'd be unusable combat wise.

duckroll

hmm I guess judging by that first image the girl doesn't actually transform into the sword (Maybe she does for a special or something). So maybe it is a more symbiotic relationship. Makes sense though, since if she did transform into the sword she'd be unusable combat wise.

I think this is an early concept art. It's not actually used on the page itself. There's also far less detail. The final key visual based on that is just him and the sword in the same pose, and you can see all the extra details on the sword like the Zohar.

I think this is an early concept art. It's not actually used on the page itself. There's also far less detail. The final key visual based on that is just him and the sword in the same pose, and you can see all the extra details on the sword like the Zohar.

True good point.

Scrawnton

XCX came out in April 2015. So at this point I'm guessing they've been working on this game for 2 years. I don't know when they start planning the next game as one game concludes.

It really just comes down to how robust is there engine and how well will it allow them to quickly make storie scenes and new land masses. For all we know the team could've been brimming with ideas after the original Xenoblade and been ready to fire on all cylinders once XCX finished.

Ridley327

It really just comes down to how robust is there engine and how well will it allow them to quickly make storie scenes and new land masses. For all we know the team could've been brimming with ideas after the original Xenoblade and been ready to fire on all cylinders once XCX finished.

Considering how frequently Takahashi commented on the subject shortly after the game's launch, that is likely the case.

duckroll

You know, there's really no point having two ongoing Xenoblade threads. Someone should probably create a new one with info we have up to now in the OP, and then I can lock both old ones. :p

Scrawnton

Considering how frequently Takahashi commented on the subject shortly after the game's launch, that is likely the case.
If they can turn out a game within three years on this engine then Nintendo was wise to purchase them. Hopefully we're looking at two games from this team for the Switch when it is all said and done.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
How much of this game is a direct sequel to the original game and how much of this is just a new entry in the same franchise?

Scrawnton

How much of this game is a direct sequel to the original game and how much of this is just a new entry in the same franchise?
Did you beat the first game? Because based on that ending a sequel could be
literally about anything and anywhere. No locations or story beats are required to be transferred over since a whole new world/universe was created

If this gets released this year, MonolithSoft are fucking machines :D

And probably treated that way too D:

Why? X was released in April of 2015, so, assuming they took a month or 2 off, they still would've had 2 1/2 years to develop the game by the time it comes out. The pre-production stuff(story, character design) probably started shortly after X entered production back in 2013.

I understand that Monolith creates massive worlds and games, but 2 1/2 years isn't a ridiculous amount of time to create a game on a system that's as easy to develop for as the Switch supposedly is.

There was one on wii and one on wii U. We don't know what this game is exactly yet, but if could have some link to the wii game, but not the wii u game.

This game looks so different from even the little we know, that I feel pretty confident in answering, no, you don't. This seems to have it's own story and characters. If there is a tie it's a distant one.

Thanks man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom