• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition announced for Switch

SonGoku

They could be using same engine as Torna The Golden Country for this.
Unless they remake the game dropping below native rez is unacceptable
The damn wiiu runs XCX at 720p, a remaster of a Wii game won't look nowhere near as good.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Unless they remake the game dropping below native rez is unacceptable
The damn wiiu runs XCX at 720p, a remaster of a Wii game won't look nowhere near as good.
The thing is o don’t think this a remaster but remake just like Shadow of Colossus was for PS4.

Kataploom

Gold Member
The thing is o don’t think this a remaster but remake just like Shadow of Colossus was for PS4.

I don't think it can be "just ported" to Switch, considering Wii didn't have programable shaders so enough things should be remade to consider it a fully remake... That's why I think at least

decisions

You just said you didn't want a Switch until the announcement of this port.

Yes, but if this game is on the system and there is a more powerful system released, then I have more confidence the investment will be worth it.

Lunk

The problem is that only one of them is proper artwork. The Xenoblade character artwork is just a 3D render that's been touched up afterwards, according to Takahashi. SB is a render, naturally.
That's taken a little out of context. Clearly the art style of XC and XCX is the same, made by the same lead artist or concept artist. XC2 had a bunch of new key artists and the way Shulk has been depicted since its DLC and now the remake/remaster is more akin to the new art, and not the original source.

Takahashi's comment is likening it to something like how Ocarina of Time Link doesn't reflect the concept art. It's true, it doesn't but you can still infer the concept art from it, and XC isn't different in that.

Agreed. It looks a lot nicer then your standard remaster.
Remasters should be held at a higher standard, fanboys defend them.

Xenogears was the only Xeno game I played.

This looks like a really good remaster of the Wii game. More like a remake actually.

It looks like they used the engine of the second game, the lighting is identical.

Last edited:

Paltheos

Sadly didnt have a ps1 or 2 to play those games, also jeard it hasnt aged well, so a remaster with qol updates could be interesting.

Xenogears is still a good time. I played it again a few years ago and continued to be impressed by how well it presents itself.

Xenosaga was always kinda suspect. The premise is fine and some parts of the story are interesting but a few of your heroes being insufferable twats really torpedoes it. I like the long game Takahashi had in mind. It has a super slow pacing and that can work, but they went too far in a few places with some of the heroes. Shion , the heroine, in particular is just insufferable, and I didn't buy her character's position given all the stupid shit she does. I'm guessing they wanted the characters to grow over a long series but left too much room for it.

US Gamer had an interview with Tetsuya Takahashi and this subject was raised back in October 2018.

But right now, I don't know where they stand because Monolith Software as a studio had a quite notable evolution :
  • They operate now 5 development studios, 3 of them were created each year since 2017 (I guess they're going full-throttle on the switch)
  • We know that the Xenoblade Chronicles development team is working on a new RPG
  • They are working on another Zelda game (please note that they greatly helped on the design & development of BotW with their experience on openworld)

I would say that the remake of XC1 on switch is the product of one of the new studios.

"Re-creating" is the key word though, we don't need a "recreation" like this, just a simple port will do.

Zenaku

That's taken a little out of context. Clearly the art style of XC and XCX is the same, made by the same lead artist or concept artist. XC2 had a bunch of new key artists and the way Shulk has been depicted since its DLC and now the remake/remaster is more akin to the new art, and not the original source.

Takahashi's comment is likening it to something like how Ocarina of Time Link doesn't reflect the concept art. It's true, it doesn't but you can still infer the concept art from it, and XC isn't different in that.
I'm going by Takahashis direct comments in Japanese, and he seems pretty clear in how he says it.

"ゼノブレイドの時はそもそもデザイン面自体が存在せず、あるのはコスチュームデザインのみ。そのコスチュームデザインを元にCGモデルを作るしか無く、世に出ているキャライラストは実はそのCGモデルをレタッチしたものであって設定面ではないのです。"

"With Xenoblade the design work simply didn't exist; all we had was the costume design. We had no choice but to create the CG models from those costume designs, and the character art we have out in the world is actually retouched versions of the CG models, and not actual concept art."

He's making a comparison to Xenoblade 2, where Saito created a ton of art for the main cast (costumes, hair styles, facial expressions, etc) before the team started modelling the characters, but that it didn't happen with Xenoblade.

My point being that making comparisons between Shulks original art and his newer versions is pointless as his original art was created after he was designed and not before, so its more realistic tone isn't necessarily how the team wanted him or the other characters to look from the get go.

Last edited:

Teslerum

Xenogears is still a good time. I played it again a few years ago and continued to be impressed by how well it presents itself.

Xenosaga was always kinda suspect. The premise is fine and some parts of the story are interesting but a few of your heroes being insufferable twats really torpedoes it. I like the long game Takahashi had in mind. It has a super slow pacing and that can work, but they went too far in a few places with some of the heroes. Shion , the heroine, in particular is just insufferable, and I didn't buy her character's position given all the stupid shit she does. I'm guessing they wanted the characters to grow over a long series but left too much room for it.

I can't recall Shion doing too much *stupid shit*. At least her actions mostly made sense for her charachter.

Now in terms of being an abusive egomaniac? Yeah, she's a complete bitch.

Ulysses 31

Some stores use this when pre-ordering, can't be the final cover, right? :lollipop_grinning:

Temp-Packshot.jpg

Fiora looking fine in her new form.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I think the definitive edition of xenoblade chronicles is graphically better than xenoblade 2
xenoblade-chronicles-definitive-edition-nintendo-switch3.jpg

xenoblade-chronicles-2-screenshot-1.jpg
I’m guessing the Definitive version is using Torna Golden Country engine which improved version from XC2 engine.

woigemok

Banned
I’m guessing the Definitive version is using Torna Golden Country engine which improved version from XC2 engine.
I noticed Xenoblade 2 has these weird filtering effects applied to the game and made the draw distance looks like shit. I don't know whether these kinds of problems still present in Torna Version.
Another Example
OjVuWPr.jpg

aoAio9y.jpg

Danjin44

I noticed Xenoblade 2 has these weird filtering effects applied to the game and made the draw distance looks like shit. I don't know whether these kinds of problems still present in Torna Version.
Another Example
OjVuWPr.jpg

aoAio9y.jpg
Thats because in original XC the background is much more static, while the titans in XC2 are moving.
tumblr_ojq2d0laic1urjgxlo1_400.gif

Last edited:

woigemok

Banned
Thats because in original XC the background is much more static, while the titans in XC2 are moving.
It doesn't explain why the structures look like ass from that distance, I don't think animating titan really affected the image filtering in that game. For whatever reason is, I'm glad they ditched that filtering effects for XC definitive edition.

Also the art direction of XC1 > XC2

RW2hwZf.jpg

Pbtu1wy.jpg

:messenger_horns:

Danjin44

It doesn't explain why the structures look like ass from that distance, I don't think animating titan really affected the image filtering in that game. For whatever reason is, I'm glad they ditched that filtering effects for XC definitive edition.
My point is its much easier make static background looking better, also why not try compare proper mech from XC2 instead of using screenshot that meant as a joke in the game.
7j6mqkwcy7p11.jpg

I personally like both game's art direction.

Last edited:

Filippos

Banned
Man, I hated FF XV, one of the worst games ever.
I loved FFX though.
So, should I play this? Is it good? Never played a xenoblade title ever. Where should I start? With this game?

Man, I hated FF XV, one of the worst games ever.
I loved FFX though.
So, should I play this? Is it good? Never played a xenoblade title ever. Where should I start? With this game?

Sure it's a good place to start, from those FF picks I'd expect you to like it. I bought the original on a whim and I'm not exaggerating when I say it's one of if not the best RPG released during the Wii/PS3 gen. I think the original is probably more palatable then Xenoblade 2 because that's a lot more weeby, which you either like or you don't. Xenoblade X was more oriented towards the online experience so it's more grindy.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
The weeks since finding out this is coming and until the point of me having a copy is dragging like a bastard.

C'mon god dammit. Stupid time, taking so long! Urgh..

Top Bottom