• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition Arrives May 29. New Epilogue "Future Connected"

Oh that zoom in, I'm really feeling it.
Reyn gonna ALLEY OOP while Fiora presses on and on and ON!

The UI and backgrounds are gorgeous, the faces of the characters not so much. I prefer the more grounded look of the original, but that’s the only thing I dislike about this remake.

With this and Bravely Default II, the Switch is adding two solid JRPGs to its catalogue.

I need this. Probably will delay even further because of whats going on in the world. But it looks way more than a remaster at this point. This is a remake.
Don't let competence change its meaning, remasters have become nothing more than higher frame rates and up-res ports, this is how they should be. Remakes usually have a different approach to gameplay and such, so I'd say it's like Crash and Spyro, graphical reworks with the original gameplay intact.

But it definitely looks way better than the original, reminded me of XB2's graphics.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Don't let competence change its meaning, remasters have become nothing more than higher frame rates and up-res ports, this is how they should be. Remakes usually have a different approach to gameplay and such, so I'd say it's like Crash and Spyro, graphical reworks with the original gameplay intact.

But it definitely looks way better than the original, reminded me of XB2's graphics.
It should, XCDE is using same engine as the Torna the Golden Country which it upgrade version of XC2’s engine.

Last edited:

Velius

Banned
I still have the Wii version. Two things I just couldn't get past:

1) The character models. I'm sorry but they were awful. I'm not saying the character design was- I love the new remastered versions. But damn those old models were ugly, especially compared to The Last Story's.
2) The constant dialogue during battle. Jesus christ I hope they tone that down

Kataploom

Gold Member
Loving it with passion, ya know?!

I only hope it comes with Japanese voices. Please Nintendo, make it possible even if it's a separate dlc!

That game was a dream to play back then, I remember 100% it every collectable thing... man

I need a memory wipe so I can go at it again not that I remember ever corner but still I wish I did not know the fragments

if the shoulder is only accessible in the epilogue I'll be heartbroken I want the cut content in my journey not after with girl number 2

Last edited:
"I'm really feeling it!"

I almost didn't play this game despite being a huge fan of JRPGs, it looked rough on the Wii and I was already looking at other games. I still remembered the excellent field trailer from before launch and my younger brother sang it's praises when he played it. I'm so glad I did play it. It's one of my favorite JRPGs, and I absolutely loved XCX and XC2/Torna. Figuring out how all the Monolithsoft games tie into each other going all the way back to Xenogears and Xenosaga (which ties to Xenoblade Chronicles 1 & 2 in many ways) and Baten Kaitos on Gamecube (which ties to Xenoblade Chronicles X, namely a floating land called Mira which defies the rules of space and time, phasing between multiple dimensions, similar to the odd behavior of the planet in XCX) has been really interesting as well. This remaster was a day-one sale for me.

Now get XCX working on the Switch, and make XCX2.

On that note get working on XC3 too,
I want to see the world post-cloud layer and how things progress after the space elevator collapsed and the Orbital Platform 1 was destroyed. There are other space elevators with massive attached orbital platforms in the world as seen in XC2 on Orbital Platform 1. If you look at the road signs on the highway in the Land of Morytha, and google the number, you'll discover that it's a highway near Houston, Texas (which also explains why people of Alrest think Dhalia's southern drawl sounds like a "Fancy ancient Morithian accent" as she sounds like the ancient humans from the southen US, AKA The Land of Morytha.) It would make sense that the first orbital platform would be based out of Houston, and I like to imagine that other orbital platforms that weren't at the epicenter of Klaus' accident may not have suffered the same fate and other humans might have survived in them all this time. I would assume other nations in line with the orbital ring connecting the platforms would have their own elevators leading to the other platforms. I have a notepad full of theories on Monolithsoft's games.
I could play a Monolithsoft game every year.

I fucking hope not.

With our luck it will be. Canada + hobbies = struggle getting shit a lot of the time without either paying through the nose locally, paying brokerage through the US, or jumping through hoops setting up a proxy address. I collect and build Gundam kits, it can be frustrating to find rare ones without accepting that I'm going to pay extra for them. It's usually faster and easier to just buy them from Japan, pay more for shipping and wait a month to get it.

This special edition will be sold out online in .005 seconds anyways. I'll do what I can but I don't have my hopes up.

I'm all over this

Once I've replayed it I will start Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for the first time as well.

Hey, do you think they will remove the girl's swimsuits and leave the guy's swimsuits in? That sounds like a thing that would happen in this day and age. They might even do that in the Japanese version like with Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Or maybe it won't be a thing at all?

Game looks amazing. See at 2:57 where they were showing Shulk, Reyn and Riki getting their gear equipped, user interface looks very clear and pretty.

Collector's editon looks dope, but I probably won't even try to get it, lol

Last edited:

Naibel

Finally ! Looking forward to this beauty. I already played this game on the 3DS but I'm ready to play it again ! It's that good !

What I'm also looking forward is the resolution. XC2 was graphically impressive but pretty subpar resolution-wise, especially on portable mode. I hope they've improved on that front, now that they've got a better understanding of the hardware.

sublimit

Banned
As much as i absolutely loved the original (i had put around 300 hours into it) i don't think i'd be interested to go back to it. At least not for the imminent future.

It's great though for those who never played the original!

Bakkus

Do you guys think we will get the option of choosing the original soundtrack? Because I like the original Gaur Plains much more than this remake. The violins have much less impact now with other instruments overdubbing them.

XCDE is certainly looks way better than Zelda BOTW

I'm not really a big fan of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, but can't deny that I really liked the stylistic aspect of the game's visuals. It is one of the game's strongest points. Both games look amazing in their own right I think.

Manji Uzuki

I missed the original release of this game (I really disliked the Wii controller for RPGs) but I'm a big fan of Monolithsoft games . So really looking forward to this one and then maybe jump to XC2. Now nintendo should port XCX and we can have the complete saga on Switch :)

Last edited:

Komatsu

Does anybody know where one can pre-order the Cofferet Collector Edition - preferably in the good US of A? Can't find it anywhere.

Danjin44

xenoblade-collectors.jpg

tenor.gif

Bigrx1

Banned
So Xenosaga is my favorite video game series ever but I actually never tried these. Can anyone clarify for me are any of these other Xenoblade Chronicles games tied in together or are they all separate stories and so forth? I thought I heard years ago they just added the Xeno title to the west to help sell it and that it really isn't at all connected with the original Xenosaga series?

Danjin44

So Xenosaga is my favorite video game series ever but I actually never tried these. Can anyone clarify for me are any of these other Xenoblade Chronicles games tied in together or are they all separate stories and so forth? I thought I heard years ago they just added the Xeno title to the west to help sell it and that it really isn't at all connected with the original Xenosaga series?
original XC and XC2 are tied but XCX is separate.

and in XC2.....

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I wonder if they've done anything to tighten up the battle mechanics beyond the presentation/menus, that would be nice.
All stand alone really but XC2 does tie to 1, but I think it does so in a way that it doesn't matter which one you play first (or if you just play one of them in that case).

Last edited:

gtrwll

I wish they'd use proper terms for the music. Remastered means working with the original mixes and doing a new master, but the new stuff that's posted sounds like rerecorded, either with live instruments or new samples.

I really hope they've rerecorded them all, since the OST for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is probably the best ever done, and the old samples that the original XC used aren't nowhere near as good sounding as the music in XC2.

I wish they'd use proper terms for the music. Remastered means working with the original mixes and doing a new master, but the new stuff that's posted sounds like rerecorded, either with live instruments or new samples.

I really hope they've rerecorded them all, since the OST for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is probably the best ever done, and the old samples that the original XC used aren't nowhere near as good sounding as the music in XC2.

The official Xenoblade soundtrack has a 91 number of tracks it seems. They have redone all of the tracks I guess. I agree with the issue of used terminology; it is technically an arranged one.

Gargus

Banned
Atleast I got a definitive edition pretty order in at Amazon yesterday.

I haven't touched my switch since I finished links awakening. So this will give me a reason to fire the bitch up and make that system feel a bit less like a waste of money.

Although I fucking hate that north America gets shafted compared to Europe everytime there is a collector's edition. We get a bulshit mini book of some sort, a box and Europe gets way cooler shit. Oh well not that it matters, I'll play this and my switch will go back into hibernation for another 8 or 9 months till something else comes out I want to play on it.

Mistake

Is there any news yet if this will have some sort of multiplayer? I'd be willing to buy it again if it has local co-op, but I already beat it on wii

nicktwilight

Neo Member
I hope they add some options so that you can change the battle ui or the hud.It always seemed to me that too many information was on screen at the same time.The game and its world is beautifull so let us see it without all this stuff keeping it hidden from our eyes.

Top Bottom