• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition | Hype Thread | We're Really Feeling It

Another comparison shots of docked and undocked between a quick crash grab remastered(xenoblade chronicles DE) vs Switch's miracle port(the witcher 3)

Undocked
Fd8AX4y.jpg

qacgFBz.jpg

Docked
Witcher3_Switch_06112019_05.png
EWl335eVcAAYPVi

-Arcadia-

Banned
Seriously people on TrannyEra and Reddit called this game a quick cash grab just because of dynamic resolution numbers and simply just a wii game port without even looking at the state of game vs the older version.

GemMan.jpg

EXySdw7VcAAL3ej

even the undocked is on par or better than the most technically impressive games like the Witcher 3 and Dragon Quest XI

0x3f00N.jpg

IgHYVPJ.jpg

zcwU4JE.jpg

I keep forgetting how bad the old version looked. It’s one of the strongest cases of nostalgia memories I’ve seen in a while.

And woooow at those Docked screens in the next post. They’re absolutely gorgeous.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I keep forgetting how bad the old version looked. It’s one of the strongest cases of nostalgia memories I’ve seen in a while.

And woooow at those Docked screens in the next post. They’re absolutely gorgeous.
Old nostalgia memories will always make things look better than what actually looks like in reality. I admit, even I'm guilty of this.

I hate all of the youtubers hyping this resolution gate up, IS THIS OKAY IN 2020?!
Because they are so dumb. Resolution isn't everything especially for hybrid console like Switch where the power is nowhere near PS4 and XBOX ONE.

Would they rather play a game with high IQ at 1080p with these level of details
switch_pokemonswordpokemonshield_screen_42.jpg

PokemonSwordShield18-1.jpg

or 720p with these level of details( Guiberu Guiberu pictures)

RnlSpak.jpg
32HSKfu.jpg

Some idiots called Monolith Soft a lazy dev team despite being restrained by budget and time where they needed to relocate more budget on the new project and working on it simultaneously along with Xenoblade DE after finished XC2 Torna Expansion. They made this shit in just less than 2 years ffs.

Last edited:

TNT Sheep

Another comparison shots of docked and undocked between a quick crash grab remastered(xenoblade chronicles DE) vs Switch's miracle port(the witcher 3)

Undocked
Fd8AX4y.jpg

qacgFBz.jpg

Docked
EWl335eVcAAYPVi

I don't want to stir the pot, but one is a port of a third party ps4/pc/xbone game, and the other is a first party remastering/remake of a wii game. They could have done better, or perhaps they should have stuck to the original engine. Regardless, I will be playing and enjoying the game. The extra content and QoL improvements are what really sealed the deal for me.

Naibel

Seriously people on TrannyEra and Reddit called this game a quick cash grab just because of dynamic resolution numbers and simply just a wii game port without even looking at the state of game vs the older version.

GemMan.jpg

EXySdw7VcAAL3ej

even the undocked is on par or better than the most technically impressive games like the Witcher 3 and Dragon Quest XI

0x3f00N.jpg

IgHYVPJ.jpg

zcwU4JE.jpg

Even though I'm not super pleased by the low res, I'm not stupid enough to not see how much improved the game is compared to the Wii original, with all the QoL features and the enhanced level of details.

Calling this game a lazy cashgrab is on a whole new level of retardation, but it's par for the course for Resetera.

I will day 1 that game, I will play it to death and I will enjoy every last minute of it !

I mean, if I managed to finish this game on the FREAKIN' 3DS, I think I can bear some small res drops just fine.

Last edited:

S77

I'm not even sure what's this nitpicking behind the resolution, it's not like the game has visible aliasing and very low assets like Wicher 3 has on the Switch, for example. The difference from 720p to 1080p is pretty much a joke, and if people are skipping this masterpice because of some pixels count then I don't think they wanted to play it in the first place anyway.

I'm 5 hours into the game, first time playing, never played the Wii or 3DS versions. All I can say is that so far this game is one of the best games I played on Switch.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I was in the process of another play through the original on the Wii when they announced this remaster. I stopped around 20 hours to wait for this. Even with the shitty resolution on the new version it’s still a huge upgrade. The original looked rough at release and looks horrible if you play it today.

cireza

Because they are so dumb. Resolution isn't everything especially for hybrid console like Switch where the power is nowhere near PS4 and XBOX ONE.

Would they rather play a game with high IQ at 1080p with these level of details
switch_pokemonswordpokemonshield_screen_42.jpg

PokemonSwordShield18-1.jpg

or 720p with these level of details( Guiberu Guiberu pictures)

RnlSpak.jpg
32HSKfu.jpg

Some idiots called Monolith Soft a lazy dev team despite being restrained by budget and time where they needed to relocate more budget on the new project and working on it simultaneously along with Xenoblade DE after finished XC2 Torna Expansion. They made this shit in just less than 2 years ffs.
With your Pokemon pictures my eyes are not constantly trying to focus on something that will never be clear, as it is blurry by definition.

We are all different in how we perceive things with our eyes and brain. But when stuff is blurry, it causes eye-strain as far as I am concerned. I am not avoiding games because I dislike the picture quality, but because it is actually a pain to play them.

The move to CRT 480i, then to LCD and HD was a struggle for me, everything went from crystal clear on CRT 240p to something worse every time. I actually did not understand LCD at first, it was supposed to be fantastic, higher definition and all. And all I was seeing on my TV was constant blur as soon as anything was moving, with a feeling that it was much lower resolution than supposed.

At least, there are games on Switch that have a clear 720p picture without abusive blur. You take something like Virtua Racing or Langrisser I & II, the picture is fantastic.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I hate all of the youtubers hyping this resolution gate up, IS THIS OKAY IN 2020?!
I think it's those amazing screenshots from earlier that made it look a bit dubious.

I remember the same thing happening in XB2.
When i played that game handheld.
It looked like dogshit. Hands down the worst looking switch title i had. And not looking the same as screenshots from online.

Not a gfx whore at all. And i prefer to play my games on the switch. But i do find tinkered screenshots rather bad.

Dragon quest 11 s looked amazing on the switch. Fyi

Last edited:
Even though I'm not super pleased by the low res, I'm not stupid enough to not see how much improved the game is compared to the Wii original, with all the QoL features and the enhanced level of details.

Calling this game a lazy cashgrab is on a whole new level of retardation, but it's par for the course for Resetera.

I will day 1 that game, I will play it to death and I will enjoy every last minute of it !

I mean, if I managed to finish this game on the FREAKIN' 3DS, I think I can bear some small res drops just fine.

JFC, I tried finishing DQVIII on 3DS and it nearly turned me into Mr.Magoo lol.

I'm wondering about how jarring the sudden change from the dynamic resolution is. I haven't played XC2 so I really don't know what this engine will feel like when stuff like that happens. A few people seem to actually get sick. I've watched a lot of streams of people playing at length trying to spot the exact moment it occurs but it just looks fine. Maybe something like that can't come across over youtube and you have to play it for yourself, or maybe it's just really rare? Maybe the locations in the videos were areas where the resolution change doesn't happen?

I think it's those amazing screenshots from earlier that made it look a bit dubious.

I remember the same thing happening in XB2.
When i played that game handheld.
It looked like dogshit. Hands down the worst looking switch title i had. And not looking the same as screenshots from online.

Not a gfx whore at all. And i prefer to play my games on the switch. But i do find tinkered screenshots rather bad.

Dragon quest 11 s looked amazing on the switch. Fyi

I rarely play handheld, blindspot in one eye so my vision is bad so I avoid small ass screens for anything
with my vision the way it is I had to give up on being a graphic whore

art direction is what I care about

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I rarely play handheld, blindspot in one eye so my vision is bad so I avoid small ass screens for anything
with my vision the way it is I had to give up on being a graphic whore

art direction is what I care about
Then you should prolly love DQ11S

I'm wondering about how jarring the sudden change from the dynamic resolution is. I haven't played XC2 so I really don't know what this engine will feel like when stuff like that happens. A few people seem to actually get sick. I've watched a lot of streams of people playing at length trying to spot the exact moment it occurs but it just looks fine. Maybe something like that can't come across over youtube and you have to play it for yourself, or maybe it's just really rare? Maybe the locations in the videos were areas where the resolution change doesn't happen?

well now that you know it is a thing you'll be looking for it, I never noticed it

I don't want to stir the pot, but one is a port of a third party ps4/pc/xbone game, and the other is a first party remastering/remake of a wii game. They could have done better, or perhaps they should have stuck to the original engine. Regardless, I will be playing and enjoying the game. The extra content and QoL improvements are what really sealed the deal for me.
They could've done better if they were given more budget and time for the development of this game.

At least all of those things done in Xenoblade DE will definitely benefits more in the future with more powerful hardware or emulator to take advantage of new graphical upgrades over the original which is already been pushed to the end point of enhancement in dolphin emulator.

Super-sampled shots perhaps could be replicated by the next Nintendo hardware or emulator,
gwh0T1h.jpg

gDjXjQ1.jpg

96tGfgR.jpg

h9MdKsL.jpg

4lgzLJD.jpg

DErwMrL.jpg

CEk4MTB.jpg

fRrpIyx.jpg

Guiberu

nice was it still 720P just does not drop?

how safe is homebrew these days, an update from Nintendo won't brick your system?

I have the launch hardware not the revised version

Still doesn't go higher than 720p, but maintains that rez for much more of the gameplay.

If you've got original gen hardware, I'd highly recommend looking at ReverseNX and SysClk to get the most out of the game. Shouldn't cause any issues with anything else.

Didn't notice any jiggle physics on Sharla. Sorry folks.

LOTS of bullshot comparisons going around. Rule of thumb is if you see grass extending beyond a few feet from the character's position - it's not a real gameplay shot. No matter the overclock - that doesn't change.

Before the overclock and stabilizing the resolution, I personally found it quite difficult to play for long periods without my eyes going a bit wonky. I had the same experience with XBC2. There's little to "focus" on, and instead you're having to dart around a wash of pixels constantly trying to figure out what you're looking at.

Handheld looks "fine" without the tweaks, but looks much, much better with them.

Ultimately if you've never played the game, or really really love it, then you'll obviously love what they've done here without question.

Personally, I'm still in the realm of a little disappointed. As I said earlier, I would've preferred a few less bells and whistles (motion blur, DoF) and a higher, more stable resolution.

XBX was 720p locked, on the WiiU, with really nice IQ across the board. Both XBC2 and this feel like a downgrade of sorts.

TNT Sheep

They could've done better if they were given more budget and time for the development of this game.

At least all of those things done in Xenoblade DE will definitely benefits more in the future with more powerful hardware or emulator to take advantage of new graphical upgrades over the original which is already been pushed to the end point of enhancement in dolphin emulator.

Super-sampled shots perhaps could be replicated by the next Nintendo hardware or emulator,
gwh0T1h.jpg

gDjXjQ1.jpg

96tGfgR.jpg

h9MdKsL.jpg

4lgzLJD.jpg

DErwMrL.jpg

CEk4MTB.jpg

fRrpIyx.jpg

Most definitely, which is why I think being a little disappointed is justified. But, I agree that it is at least a good starting point for future improvements. I will be looking forward to seeing the game run on an emulator.

Monolith Soft has been good at patching and updating games for performance, I doubt we will not see improvements in the coming months if they feel it is needed or the talk is loud enough.

Some of the memory slowdown issues shown in the DF video above were fixed in XB2 for example.
Once I've already played the problem area, a fix does nothing for me it is not like I'll start over and replay it for a fix.
NG+ means I might see the area again more than a few times so I am glad they do patches anyway.

Last edited:
I am sure they will do one of these vids for XCDE soon

Great video. The tech strengths and weaknesses are interesting, but some of them are nitpicks I never would have even thought about. And the game looks great to me. I'll be interested to watch the vid they do for XCDE too, but I'm probably just gonna enjoy the art of both these games and think they look pretty, from what I can tell.

I think art direction when it comes to the worlds in Xendoblade Monolith Soft is very strong in that department that is what made Zelda Breath of the Wild so damn good.

We can nitpick the hardware limitations they have to work with, I think Monolith Soft would do well with much stronger hardware, they are very limited being owned by Nintendo for that reason alone, Nintendo will never create strong hardware. They always find ways to compromise going all out. The Wii U had to share its power with a second screen to run the GamePad, Switch has to run a portable mode so it needs the chip to be battery saving and not power draining. All of these things hold back the hardware.

It would be nice if they allowed NVIDIA to go nuts with a strong home hardware but Nintendo has already carved its little niche and doing extremely well.

I really don't put any blame on Monolith Soft for this, I think they have always been extremely ambitious with huge worlds on a tiny powered hardware.
It is not like they put out broken games that are unplayable.

Certainly the worlds Monoliftsoft created in XC1 and XCX were enchanting and transcended their hardware's constraints to come to life in my imagination.

I can't wait to return to Bionis in just a few more days.

Vawn

Banned

Undocked
Fd8AX4y.jpg

qacgFBz.jpg

Docked
EWl335eVcAAYPVi

My main takeaway is Witcher looks like crap on Switch in comparison to the other versions.

Not that it isn't still an impressive feat it's on Switch at all. I just wouldn't want to experience that game in that state.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I got to play this about 8 hours yesterday as I had the day off for Memorial Day. I played it in handheld mode the entire time. Sometimes, a great game is just a great game even if it doesn't look as good when compared with other games on other systems with better hardware. There were a few times in the plains where the draw distance on the grass is noticeably bad, but that didn't exactly make the game any less fun.

I'm absolutely loving all the QoL improvements this time around. The mini-map is actually useful. Seeing character and monster health bars is a massive improvement. I'm ready to sink another 100+ hours into this game.

Top Bottom