• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition | Hype Thread | We're Really Feeling It

Ma-Yuan

Big XC Fan or let's say Xeno nerd.

Have the German wii collectors edition, bought the US version with tiny art book from games top, have the 3ds version. Had 2 faceplate for the new 3ds, one got stolen with the new 3ds 🤣😩, got the OST last year on my trip to Sapporo, have the mini Ost from the Japanese club nintendo and the shulk amiibo. So based on my purchase history I should be mega hyped and I am. Also bought a switch lite to enjoy it better while playing in bed 😁Never got the time to replay it on the 3ds and nowadays I enjoy playing jrpgs on handheld much more because of my limited time and sleep mode is a bless.
Also have the collectors edition pre-ordered 2 times >< one at gamestop one at amazon just to be sure in covid19 times....

Wunray

Big XC Fan or let's say Xeno nerd.

Have the German wii collectors edition, bought the US version with tiny art book from games top, have the 3ds version. Had 2 faceplate for the new 3ds, one got stolen with the new 3ds 🤣😩, got the OST last year on my trip to Sapporo, have the mini Ost from the Japanese club nintendo and the shulk amiibo. So based on my purchase history I should be mega hyped and I am. Also bought a switch lite to enjoy it better while playing in bed 😁Never got the time to replay it on the 3ds and nowadays I enjoy playing jrpgs on handheld much more because of my limited time and sleep mode is a bless.
Also have the collectors edition pre-ordered 2 times >< one at gamestop one at amazon just to be sure in covid19 times....
Always wondered about the sound track, was Yoko shimomura involved with it, the starting area gives off her style.

Chastten

Banned
Really looking forward to it!

Bought Dragon Quest 11 last week so I'm playing that now and I ordered Trials of Mana yesterday so I hope to finish that before Xenoblade as well, but I can't wait until my Collector's Edition comes in. XC was one of the best RPG's on that generation and as far as I'm concerned, one of the best games of the past decade or so. Really happy it gets another chance on more powerful hardware. While I think the landscapes already looked pretty great in the original, especially given the hardware, the character designs and faces were horrible and I'm happy that got fixed. Can't wait to explore Satorl Marsh again!

Hulk_Smash

Banned
I'm not sure how I feel about the remodelled characters, but I enjoyed the original so much the first time round. I might have to just play it in Dolphin, I'll be more than happy with that. Especially as I don't have a Switch.

Subtle humblebrag in favor of piracy. Nice.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
You misunderstand. I own the original and I think I'd enjoy it upscaled more than the new art direction.

Looks like I did misunderstand you. I thought you meant play the switch version on the dolphin. And I’m not even sure now if Dolphin can play switch games.

How does the dolphin version stack up with the switch version, anyway?

Fbh

Have they said anything about combat? Is it getting an overhaul or will it stay the same?.

I never liked the combat sytsem in this one and it's the main reason I've no interest in replaying it

Ma-Yuan

As far as I understood all news it's unchanged. The epilogue has an updated battle system.

Have they said anything about combat? Is it getting an overhaul or will it stay the same?.

I never liked the combat sytsem in this one and it's the main reason I've no interest in replaying it

Soodanim

Gold Member
Looks like I did misunderstand you. I thought you meant play the switch version on the dolphin. And I’m not even sure now if Dolphin can play switch games.

How does the dolphin version stack up with the switch version, anyway?
I've only seen videos on YouTube as I've never used Dolphin myself, but everything is rendered at a higher resolution and that IQ boost alone is enough for me. The Dolphin wiki suggests there's a few enhancements (60fps, 16:9) but potentially some problems. There's an HD texture pack but it's not one of the newer style ESRGAN style ones, so it might be a bit hit and miss.

Day 25
dY99Vrt.png

Reyn time by Quadforcefive

Wunray

I find 2 superior in just about every way, but I'm really looking forward to replaying it.
I really like 2......up until they made me grind blades because someone thought it was a good idea to gate progression behind rng. It's still an enjoyable game though, my fave jrpg on the switch.

Eevee86

I really like 2......up until they made me grind blades because someone thought it was a good idea to gate progression behind rng. It's still an enjoyable game though, my fave jrpg on the switch.
Why did you need to grind blades? They threw plenty of them at me without even trying when I went through it.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm currently replaying the game and for main story you don't really need to grind Blades for fields skills, its some of secret areas and secret chests that you kind of needs lots of specific filed skills.

Last edited:
I downloaded the Japanese eShop version 5 hours ago after checking if Play-Asia said it had English. I'm ready to go at it again. Got to get some work done in the meantime to make some free time for the grind. I want to be overleveled early since I just want to enjoy the scenery this time. Just kidding I am always over leveled playing these games.

Wunray

Why did you need to grind blades? They threw plenty of them at me without even trying when I went through it.
Well for one I was at the mercy of the rng gods which I wasn't a fan of, I also let go most of the fodder blades cause I thought I didn't need them because the rare and story blades were quite enough for my needs to progress through the story......until they weren't. Even when you got the blade you need you had to level up the skill you needed and sometimes you to get two of the same type because it can only level so far. Also gating progression behind skill checks is the 1 glaring problem I have with the game.

I'm currently replaying the game and for main story you don't really need to grind Blades for fields skills, its some of secret areas and secret chests that you kind of needs lots of specific filed skills.
Actually there are several instances where you are gated off in the story but the one that stuck out to me is the one before you unlock pyra 3rd form, where you have to climb some vines I think you needed wind and a jumping skill too. Getting the required skills is easy in the grand scheme but the story was ramping up and I was hooked, only to be blocked by that and at that point I couldn't be bothered by what essentially is busy work because that system has no real effect on anything and let's be honest it's there to pad the play time. I think that feature can go die in a fire, everything else about the game is aces.

Danjin44

Actually there are several instances where you are gated off in the story but the one that stuck out to me is the one before you unlock pyra 3rd form, where you have to climb some vines I think you needed wind and a jumping skill too. Getting the required skills is easy in the grand scheme but the story was ramping up and I was hooked, only to be blocked by that and at that point I couldn't be bothered by what essentially is busy work because that system has no real effect on anything and let's be honest it's there to pad the play time. I think that feature can go die in a fire, everything else about the game is aces.
Well, Roc which is story Blade has wind skill and Poppi has leaping skills and also you can level those up with Merc missions.

Also my suggestion is alway open up bunch of common crystal through out the game, field skills can stack up, for example if you want wind skill give your each party members common wind Blade.

mhm, ok.. aha, I see, yes... Alright.

So, what am I looking at here?

After handing out a beat down, Reyn often exclaims "what a bunch of jokers!" about the enemies that just got wrecked

It's one of the famous lines you will hear a lot playing Xenoblade, along with Shulk's "I'm really feeling it!"

Last edited:

Zenaku

I might be wrong but they got a new VA for melia?

Never played the English version, so not completely familiar with the English voices, but as a Doctor Who fan it did sound like Jenna Coleman. Wouldn't rule out a sound-a-like though, she's probably more expensive these days.

Eevee86

Well for one I was at the mercy of the rng gods which I wasn't a fan of, I also let go most of the fodder blades cause I thought I didn't need them because the rare and story blades were quite enough for my needs to progress through the story......until they weren't. Even when you got the blade you need you had to level up the skill you needed and sometimes you to get two of the same type because it can only level so far. Also gating progression behind skill checks is the 1 glaring problem I have with the game.

There were a few optional ones that were designed to come back to, but I never found myself stuck in the story because of one. Working on the ones that the story gave you like Wulfric, Roc, and Aegaeon pretty much gave you enough to get by them.

Last edited:

Fbh

Really!? I liked the combat in first game, not as much as the 2nd game but still pretty fun.

I found the combat pretty boring and repetitive and it also felt like one of those games where 90% of the challenge comes from your party AI being brain dead. I really enjoyed the game for its story, locations and music (all of which I think are better than those in 2), but the actual gameplay and combat never clicked with me.

It would be even harder to go back now after spending dozens of hours with Xenoblade 2.

Danjin44

I found the combat pretty boring and repetitive and it also felt like one of those games where 90% of the challenge comes from your party AI being brain dead. I really enjoyed the game for its story, locations and music (all of which I think are better than those in 2), but the actual gameplay and combat never clicked with me.

It would be even harder to go back now after spending dozens of hours with Xenoblade 2.
Thats fair, for me its gonna be interesting going back in to 1st game after playing Xenoblade 2 and Torna the Golden Country. I always felt like I never fully understood the combat system in first game but after putting over 300 hours in 2nd game I think I have much better understanding of Xenoblade series overall combat system.

Ma-Yuan

I never had issues with the AI. Also never needed to play healer as far as I am aware. I needed to grind a bit on two occasions I remember but in general nothing stickied out in regards to the AI controlling the other members.

Fbh

Thats fair, for me its gonna be interesting going back in to 1st game after playing Xenoblade 2 and Torna the Golden Country. I always felt like I never fully understood the combat system in first game but after putting over 300 hours in 2nd game I think I have much better understanding of Xenoblade series overall combat system.

To me blades just bring in some much needed variety. With the whole blade swapping mechanics you have more abilities to use and you can make your character more flexible and able to take on different roles. The whole elemental aspect and the elemental combos also give you more things to look out during combat.

To me the combat in Xeboblade 1 got old fast. I guess it did a better job at making each character feel a bit more unique but at the same time it also made them more limited and you just end doing the exact same thing for most of the game. After a while playing as, for example, Shulk just feels like using the same handful of skills in almost the same order during almost every fight.

I never had issues with the AI. Also never needed to play healer as far as I am aware. I needed to grind a bit on two occasions I remember but in general nothing stickied out in regards to the AI controlling the other members.

Well the game itself wasn't really hard (at least not the main story), but to me it was more like a sense that the only reason I wasn't destroying everything instantly was because the only character playing in a coherent way is the one controlled by the player, and the other 2 are just doing things at random. For example Dunban can be pretty good if you take advantage of his auras, but when he is controlled by the AI it's like he just activates them at random.

Last edited:

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Tempting, but I've got a Wii copy I've barely scratched the surface of. Might pop that in soon to "play along" with folks playing the remaster.

Top Bottom