• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition | Hype Thread | We're Really Feeling It

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Day 15
N2pVbwE8zOIrytXhOEkmFAwzbTZTPTl0d-fW1od0ihA.jpg

this guy admits he is scared of JRPGs has never played this game before, He does not like grinding for 2 hours to beat a boss that is why he does not like JRPGs

so he is playing this for the first time so I guess his opinion is kinda different from most (would avoid watching) Just listen if you can.

I see a lot of new things in his footage

Nene and Kino are adorable I love the voices and personalities from that short gamexplain video won't link it because I think it spoils too much

Usually those people avoid most battles and still expecting to beat the boss in their first try and blame the game for "too much grinding".

Yeah I would expect a lower score from him as a reviewer. But at least he says he is aware of his fears in JRPGs he says he is doing all quests so he is not under-leveled and is enjoying the game so far. Not bothered by the battle system not complex for him.

I remember GoNintendo from years back did not expect him to be a JRPG newbie that hates grinding

I've never played this so I'm avoiding these videos. Do we know what resolution this runs at? X2 was kind of blurry.

I haven't played XC2 but I believe it is technically similar. In one of these preview videos a guy was saying XC2 looks bad in handheld mode and he said XCDE has the same handheld mode problems. He said it looked great on tv but I would expect it would be the same resolution as whatever XC2 is.

I wish I was able to play Torna first. It is not very long it is like 500 years before the events of XB2 and helps with understanding Mythra.
If you already have Torna it is your best path.

It's a prequel. So yes makes more sense.

I see. I assumed the chronology of the world shouldn't over ride chronology of the order the games were released. Like for example the best place to learn what a blade is and how they work would be the game that introduces blades, XC2. But if that's how it is, I'll play them in that order. Thanks.

These days are moving by reaaaally slooooowly

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I wish I was able to play Torna first. It is not very long it is like 500 years before the events of XB2 and helps with understanding Mythra.
If you already have Torna it is your best path.
Going to have to disagree with this statement. There are a lot of scenes in XB2 that are great specifically because you're in the dark about what happened in the events of Torna. A lot of the relevant plot points in Torna are revealed later on in XB2, and these reveals lose a lot of their impact if you've already played the prequel. So while playing Torna first will definitely give you a better understanding of the story as it unfolds, it's also going to make a bit of the game's mystery away.

I'd recommend playing XB2 first, and if you enjoyed it and want more, play Torna.

I see. I assumed the chronology of the world shouldn't over ride chronology of the order the games were released. Like for example the best place to learn what a blade is and how they work would be the game that introduces blades, XC2. But if that's how it is, I'll play them in that order. Thanks.

These days are moving by reaaaally slooooowly

It is funny how the play with the word BLADE in these games, it means different things in each game.

I do like what Blades are in XB2 best

Going to have to disagree with this statement. There are a lot of scenes in XB2 that are great specifically because you're in the dark about what happened in the events of Torna. A lot of the relevant plot points in Torna are revealed later on in XB2, and these reveals lose a lot of their impact if you've already played the prequel. So while playing Torna first will definitely give you a better understanding of the story as it unfolds, it's also going to make a bit of the game's mystery away.

I'd recommend playing XB2 first, and if you enjoyed it and want more, play Torna.

You had no choice, if I had a choice I'd play Torna first. You only say that because you did not have knowledge of Torna anyway so it felt great to be in the dark, how do you know anything gets taken away from those scenes because you have knowledge? All those characters are connected the feels is the same. It is not like the flashbacks in XB2
match 1 to 1.

To me if you Play XB2 first you can always pass on Torna. But if you play Torna first the story continues, going back to fill in flashbacks is not as rewarding imo.

It is funny how the play with the word BLADE in these games, it means different things in each game.

I do like what Blades are in XB2 best

Wait I totally forgot Cross, Lin and Elma are a type of soldier also called a B.L.A.D.E. Badass Lasergunner and Dinosaur Exterminator...or something.

I thought Torna was better after XC2, It's nice filling in some back story for after the game and seeing where everyone came from and what happened.
You had no choice, if I had a choice I'd play Torna first. You only say that because you did not have knowledge of Torna anyway so it felt great to be in the dark, how do you know anything gets taken away from those scenes because you have knowledge? All those characters are connected the feels is the same. It is not like the flashbacks in XB2
match 1 to 1.

To me if you Play XB2 first you can always pass on Torna. But if you play Torna first the story continues, going back to fill in flashbacks is not as rewarding imo.

Mmm I see I need think about this some more before deciding which one to start with.

Danjin44

I would say always, always play in release order, this was true with KH series and same holds true with Xenoblade.

It is a choice thing. You can play it both ways, I can see why some folks want to play it XB2 to Torna. They like the being in the dark feeling and not knowing the full story of what happened to Mythra and why she is who she is. Why is Pyra the way she is. Why is everyone the way they are lots of mysteries. But to me it is not worth it to play it that way the feels are not to my liking. Made me enjoy XB2 less not more.

The more I think about it the more I hate that I was forced to play Torna after XB2. I did force myself to New Game Plus X2 after finishing Torna I could not leave it like that no way.

All you have to do is think of the ending of XB2 and the ending of Torna not much has to be said of what you would want to feel as your last moment of Xenoblade 2. If you could not pick up the controller and replay XB2 and that was your last moment you don't want it to be Torna. Ugh. Nope.

I would say always, always play in release order, this was true with KH series and same holds true with Xenoblade.

Kindom Hearts fans should not even talk about this lol that series is the worst offender of retcon BS, for the sake of continuity you would have no choice but to play KH in release order. Not a good example of what went on here. Unless you think XCX should be played before XB2. Not really the same thing.

Danjin44

Kindom Hearts fans should not even talk about this lol that series is the worst offender of retcon BS, for the sake of continuity you would have no choice but to play KH in release order. Not a good example of what went on here. Unless you think XCX should be played before XB2. Not really the same thing.
Well I'm mostly talking about XC2 and Torna and also DLC has more updated gameplay, it might little hard to go back to the base game after paying Torna.

Well I'm mostly talking about XC2 and Torna and also DLC has more updated gameplay, it might little hard to go back to the base game after paying Torna.

Agreed, XB2 without the DLC is not a good idea, get every updates you can for XB2, because this game of all games was about updates and improvements. It had plenty of free updates but I would not leave the paid DLC out.

Did you play this game day one? What the battle system was day one and what it became are like two different games. It was like an unfinished game day one. You would get a new blade like every month, they had updates for like a year with improvements every few months. The game on Launch day and the game by the time Torna came out are 2 different titles. It does not take anything away from the story. XB2 was like Smash Bros, they would tweet a new Blade coming soon like every week it felt exciting but that was what it was like, an unfinished game. What a new player can play now is not bad at all Torna does not really outshine it as much as you may think. If you have a full cast of Blades in the base game your play style choices are massive.

I could live without Torna, yet I say play it first for that reason alone. To me Torna was a mistake, should not even be a thing. It has a good story to tell don't get me wrong. I know why people love Torna. But to me those people in my mind look like those dark EMO kids in South Park or Final Fantasy fans. Those are the types who praise Torna.

Not that I hate Torna enjoyed seeing the differences in the world, but as someone who deals with depression and anxiety I don't really 'like' Torna being part of XB2. Can you get darker? I was a Mythra fan before Torna. All Torna did was shit on her all game. That shit was dark. I can't tell you gameplay improvements of the battle system was such a big deal to me after those feels.

Should anyone skip Torna, nope. Play it first.

In fact I would play Torna now while I wait for XC1 so I could wash the bad feels out of my system lol

Last edited:
You know what?

I take everything back I said about how much the walking animation in XB2 is compared to XCDE

I just launched XB2 and I have a Blade out riding in a freaking Bathtub which is so damn stupid she is sipping tea, then lays down in the water. Another Blade is sexy dancing like a stripper looking for a pole. I guess they had so much power to work with they got spoiled.

51+ Blades to work with they all have some weird thing they do.

MrA

Banned
Never finished it on the wii (played ~50 hours and just reached sword valley) but would still say the game was amazing, if I enjoy 50 great hours and don't finish it I'll still say it is a fantastic game. maybe I'll finish it on the switch. (played a lot of 2 as well then my brother "borrowed" my copy)

Zenaku

I'm in the 'play Torna after XB2' camp. The game did a good job of explaining what happened before, I find, and knowing exactly what happened and who did what would have spoiled some of the main games pacing.

Elma :pie_smiling_hearts:

seriously they should not have kept those old walking animations this won't be the last time I notice them. They got better in the new games, much better in XB2.
I believe Xenoblades animations were hand-made, and they started using a motion suit from X, with Monolith staff members performing the animations. One of the women at Monolith should have Elmas walk. ;)

I'm in the 'play Torna after XB2' camp. The game did a good job of explaining what happened before, I find, and knowing exactly what happened and who did what would have spoiled some of the main games pacing.

I believe Xenoblades animations were hand-made, and they started using a motion suit from X, with Monolith staff members performing the animations. One of the women at Monolith should have Elmas walk. ;)

You mean someone as Monolith Soft did Poppi QT Pie's stripper dance?

As much as I love Xenoblade 2. The lore with Poppi is something I cannot forgive

I am going to spoiler tag my rant, not because it is a major spoiler or anything but just to keep the process from new players and also I want to talk about how important Poppi is end game. Less of a rant and more of a nagging question I need cleared up.

Tora has one Poppi at any given time not 3! Why does the UI make it look like he has all 3? Throughout the story we had Poppi alpha you had to go and get her upgraded to Poppi QT fine fine but then I got confused fast wait if she is upgraded why do I have both? If it is just an upgrade why can't alpha go away? Then the long ass grind of quests to get QT Pie and don't even get me started on the diving game to upgrade them to max. They made getting the gems easier but I can't bother anymore.

So someone tell me I am wrong, the story tells me they got upgraded but Mythra's deal was with Poppi Alpha, and at the end it was Poppi Alpha that had to deny Rex any help.

Poppi Alpha is cute enough and she melts your heart when she cries at the end for a robot that is huge. BUT what was the upgrades for?

UI shows 3, at the very least they explained why Rex has 3 Blades in One body. Why couldn't Poppi also be 3 Robot forms in one body?

Did I skip reading a few things because I found Tora and his Pops too annoying?

Are there 3 Poppis at one time? Are there just One Poppi who has gone through 2 upgrades? Which is it? 1 Poppi or 3?

I don't like having to suspend my disbelief for Poppi and Tora

Danjin44

So someone tell me I am wrong, the story tells me they got upgraded but Mythra's deal was with Poppi Alpha, and at the end it was Poppi Alpha that had to deny Rex any help.
They all same person, it just her different forms. In during gameplay when you switch between each form, you see her transform animation.

I'm currently watching Poppi QT Pie dance on my Switch while waiting for Mythra to do something 'animated'
Mythra has 2 animations.

Nia still has the cutest animation

what is your animation Elma? looks like I have to wait a while she too cool for skool

Switching to Pyra. WTF is she wearing what kind of pervert dressed you in that?

They all same person, it just her different forms. In during gameplay when you switch between each form, you see her transform animation.

she has a transform animation?

how do I put Tora as lead again?

that is no transform animation that is just phase in phase out.

Last edited:
You know you are playing a lewd game when you can't capture a little clip of it and share on twitter. PoppiQT Pie is so lewd why is the camera angle so close to her bum?

Top Bottom