• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition | Hype Thread | We're Really Feeling It

Did Monolith Soft ever made a game using Unreal Engine and also I don’t think UE5 even possible on Switch.

Nintendo does not use outside engines and yes UE5 will scale to Switch, that is not the point. In the next ten years I want this game remade again until Melia walks properly
I just want that world to stay alive. I already want more that is what I meant by saying I am spoiled.

Day 13
yjrFwva.jpg

Standing on the Bionis's leg, Shulk looks across Gaur Plains at the Mechonis looming in the distance

Once you begin your hero's journey and leave colony 9 behind, the first big place you find yourself exploring is Gaur Plains. It's a huge area filled with monsters, treasure and secrets and it really opens your eyes to Xenoblade's grand sense of scale. It also has probably the game's most famous musical track - a breezy, feel good song perfectly suited to journeying across endless green fields:

Oh, and just for fun here's 8-bit and A capella versions of Xenoblade's "Gaur Plains" theme music:

this guy... what a weird guy

XB2 full game run so yeah spoils spoilers spoils sport warning

foresaking your Rare Blades is a Sin

It really should not have been possible to beat the game with only a single common blade but dude knew every single little min-max item to scale up for every fight he was getting his ass handed to him.

Last edited:
Hey so I was watching the slightly spoilery preview videos and they do have some useful details that answer important questions people had asked earlier in the thread. I thought I should post a few for people who don't want to watch any vids.
  • The remastered soundtrack is optional - you can listen to old or new music
  • Quest tracking is made easier. Instead of just little exclamations on the minimap there are dotted lines leading to them
  • You can turn down/off the party banter during battles. This is blasphemy to me. The chemistry/camaraderie of the Xenoblade posse is one of the things I love most about the game. I'm gonna hack my switch just so I can overclock the slider and make them talk even more
  • Future connected does have gems, but you don't have to craft them. When you mine an ether deposit you get a gem from the deposit instead of a crystal to be refined into a gem. Mining is the same in the base game
  • You can have "fashion gear" meaning your appearance can look like any clothing you've found, not just the armour you're wearing, just like in XCX
  • Rikki may well be the softest of all nopon

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Watched one very high-quality video from the beginning of the game. (Gamersyde)
Impressions are very positive. Textures, materials, grass, music - all it fits very well.

Negative things I've noticed:

-resolution is 720p at best, 30FPS (visually its the same as XC2)
-heavy temporal AA (ghosting is visible, overall fuzzy, noisy picture, like XC2)
-animations are same (no inverse kinematic, characters "gliding" when walking)

Beside those, pure technical shortcomings - I absolutely love how it looks, sounds and feels.

Synless

Nintendo does not use outside engines and yes UE5 will scale to Switch, that is not the point. In the next ten years I want this game remade again until Melia walks properly
I just want that world to stay alive. I already want more that is what I meant by saying I am spoiled.
What? Both Kirby and Yoshi used unrea engine. What do you mean they don’t use outside engines?

I have always been interested in trying Xenoblade out since 2011. Got my chance on a N3DS in like ~2017 and while I could immediately see that this was a top-tier JRPG, I just could not get to tolerate the combat system. I have been absolutely turned off by it unfortunately.

From what I´ve seen, this upcoming release does not change the combat, right?

No, it's almost exactly the same with minor quality of life changes. It's a great system once it all clicks though.

What? Both Kirby and Yoshi used unrea engine. What do you mean they don’t use outside engines?

Kirby and Yoshi huh, good to know you can correct folks without asking what do they mean, I mean normally Nintendo does not shop around for outside engines. I heard talks before but never seen it in AAA first party games. I stand corrected, I learned something, I don't really follow what Good-Feel does with Kirby and Yoshi.

Last edited:
I have always been interested in trying Xenoblade out since 2011. Got my chance on a N3DS in like ~2017 and while I could immediately see that this was a top-tier JRPG, I just could not get to tolerate the combat system. I have been absolutely turned off by it unfortunately.

From what I´ve seen, this upcoming release does not change the combat, right?

We have all heard this before, lot's of youtubers say it, they play the game give up on it end up picking it up again months or years later and it clicks and they love it.

It is a very different combat system than most, a lot of new players get turned off by it and move on to another game before they give it a chance to click.

I don't think it is worth paying $60 if you already know you are not a fan but if you find the game on sale 4 years from now and you find you love it I am sure the Xenoblade fans will be happy to have you on board.

Nintendo 3DS version is shit though, always will be no matter what others say.

NahaNago

It was not, i see this being repeated everytime but it's very clear the original art style is much closer to Final Fantasy XII than some Tales game, like Xenoblade 2 and this remaster. Yeah, the execution was not the best on Wii, but they had the chance to do it right this time, instead they went for a much worse style and even if the execution is better, the game will be an inferior product.

I'd have to say I'm disappointed as well with the move to this cartoony style as well. It still looks nice in my opinion but it just seems safe.

Last edited:
I cant call it "disappointing" because I didn't expect 3DS able run game like Xenoblade but I don't wish for anyone to experience that game for the first time on 3DS.
I did, and I loved it. For players who had no access to the Wii, it was a great opportunity to experience the game. Is the Wii version better? Certainly. But people in this thread are hating on the 3DS version way too much. Xenoblade 3DS looks better than, say, Shin Megami Tensei IV.

brenobnfm

I'd have to say I'm disappointed as well with the move to this cartoony style as well. It still looks nice in my opinion but it just seems safe.

Anime fans like it and they want to appeal to that, nothing you can do. Despising anime and trying to like the JRPG genre might not be a good combination after all.

Day 11
c82.gif

Remembering Shulk's Smash Brothers reveal

bd4.gif

Shulk had a pretty cool trailer where he uses the Monado's ability to see into the future to matrix dodge incoming sword attacks.
He also finishes the trailer doing a chain attack with Rikki and Dunban.

Here is the reveal trailer in full:

And here's a combo video of Shulk wrecking opponents in Smash Ultimate, set to appropriate Xenoblade music:

Durask

I tried playing it on the Wii and it looked like utter sh*t, thankfully I got the emulator running and played it through on the emulator and had a great time.
Wish this was on Xbox or Ps4 or PC instead of the Switch but oh well. Even with low res Switch graphics, XC2 is one of my favorite RPGs.

NahaNago

Anime fans like it and they want to appeal to that, nothing you can do. Despising anime and trying to like the JRPG genre might not be a good combination after all.

I like anime though. I was just hoping for a jrpg besides ff to have a style that isn't completely anime.

edit: souls games don't count.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I like anime though. I was just hoping for a jrpg besides ff to have a style that isn't completely anime.

edit: souls games don't count.
FF always had character design that was kind of between being realistic and stylize.
51whMskpFpL._SX342_.jpg

Xenoblade, Xenosaga and even Xenogears always had more "anime" artstyle.

812fbe6c5760bf95aa90b6caa5103143.jpg

42d00d8e994bd0b25daa1739c166f6f0.jpg

xb-illust-shulk-and-fiora.jpg

Complaining about Xenoblade being anime is like complaining about why games like Sakura Wars and Tales series are anime.

NahaNago

FF always had character design that was kind of between being realistic and stylize.

Xenoblade, Xenosaga and even Xenogears always had more "anime" artstyle.

Complaining about Xenoblade being anime is like complaining about why games like Sakura Wars and Tales series are anime.

The thing is you can see from all they way back from the xenosaga series in 2002 they had a more anime style at the start and went more realistic and stylized as each game released. So this change we got back to this anime style just started fairly recently.

Top Bottom