• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition |OT| What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Apparently.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Fuuuuuuu....this looks and plays real rough in handheld. I’d argue even worse than XC2, and that’s a low bar. Reviewers were smoking crack when they said this looks better lol
I replayed and finished both XC2 and Torna couple weeks before this game came out and I can definitely tell you that this game has much better resolution both docked and handled.

fallingdove

Fuuuuuuu....this looks and plays real rough in handheld. I’d argue even worse than XC2, and that’s a low bar. Reviewers were smoking crack when they said this looks better lol

It looks better than the Wii version IMO and that's fine by me. :)

If I could only enjoy it for more than 30 seconds at a time. Fuck Nintendo and it's drift prone joy cons. I was really hoping that I wouldn't have to buy another controller just to play this game.

I replayed and finished both XC2 and Torna couple weeks before this game came out and I can definitely tell you that this game has much better resolution both docked and handled.
Agree to disagree, put 120 hrs into XC2, and there’s no way this looks better. I’m actually surprised as to the quality of this, but I never played the original, so perhaps that’s where the gains were made.

Virex

Banned
Corona virus delayed my physical copy by a week. Only releasing physically next week:messenger_unamused: . Guess I could always pop my Wii copy into my Wii U and play to ease the pain till next week.

Ulysses 31

Corona virus delayed my physical copy by a week. Only releasing physically next week:messenger_unamused: . Guess I could always pop my Wii copy into my Wii U and play to ease the pain till next week.
You didn't get the VC version for Wii U? :lollipop_confused:

Last edited:

Virex

Banned

If I could only enjoy it for more than 30 seconds at a time. Fuck Nintendo and it's drift prone joy cons. I was really hoping that I wouldn't have to buy another controller just to play this game.
Get a pro controller. You won't want to play any other way after getting one

BouncyFrag

I tried to get into XC2 but couldn’t and so far I’m digging this game and hope to return to the sequel after this. The visuals are solid docked and handheld.

fallingdove

Get a pro controller. You won't want to play any other way after getting one
I know. The same thing happened with the Wii U. Got a pro controller and never looked back. The only problem is that I lose some portability - which helps distract the wife from the 80+ hours I put into these games. :)

Virex

Banned
I know. The same thing happened with the Wii U. Got a pro controller and never looked back. The only problem is that I lose some portability - which helps distract the wife from the 80+ hours I put into these games. :)
I just wish the Switch Pro controller had the same battery life as my Wii U pro controller. I used that thing so much and hardly had to charge it. Battery life is insane of the Wii U Pro controller.

Finished FC today, about 15 hours with all but one sidequest. It was nice, not mindblowing. Best nopon. Really, you go into FC for Melia, but you stay for Kino and Nene. ❤

Started the main game earlier, taking my time now.

However, I'm disappointed to see misinformation being spread even here about the handheld mode resolution. Xenoblade 2 looks *significantly* better in handheld mode. Whereas xB2 dips to lower res at time, it's generally a clean/pleasant image. Meanwhile Xenoblade DE is super blurry permanently, to the point where my eyes felt really uncomfortable for the first hour or so. You get used to it, but it's rather disappointing.
I'm only pointing this out because it's super unfair to shit on Xenoblade 2 here. You know I love all Xenoblade games, so I'm not attacking XBDE unfairly here, if at all. It's a fantastic adventure, rivaled only by its sequels - but it looks clearly worse on handheld than Xenoblade 2. It's okay to dislike xb2 (if you must), but making up fake-criticism isn't. Pls put xb2 in your Switch again to see that it's better looking, you probably haven't seen it in a long time.

That said, anyone of those who finished Future Connected wanna speculate about it?

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Finished FC today, about 15 hours with all but one sidequest. It was nice, not mindblowing. Best nopon. Really, you go into FC for Melia, but you stay for Kino and Nene. ❤

However, I'm disappointed to see misinformation being spread even here about the handheld mode resolution. Xenoblade 2 looks *significantly* better in handheld mode. Whereas xB2 dips to lower res at time, it's generally a clean/pleasant image. Meanwhile Xenoblade DE is super blurry permanently, to the point where my eyes felt really uncomfortable for the first hour or so. You get used to it, but it's rather disappointing.
I'm only pointing this out because it's super unfair to shit on Xenoblade 2 here. You know I love all Xenoblade games, so I'm not attacking XBDE unfairly here, if at all. It's a fantastic adventure, rivaled only by its sequels - but it looks clearly worse on handheld than Xenoblade 2. It's okay to dislike xb2 (if you must), but making up fake-criticism isn't. Pls put xb2 in your Switch again to see that it's better looking, you probably haven't seen it in a long time.

That said, anyone of those who finished Future Connected wanna speculate about it?

I’m about to argue the games run differently on different Switches, because 2 (not Torna, make sure to not confuse the two) is the most disgusting looking game I’ve ever played in handheld mode, and this looks fine, even good. It’s a night and day difference for the better.

Last edited:
I’m about to argue the games run differently on different Switches, because 2 (not Torna, make sure to not confuse the two) is the most disgusting looking game I’ve ever played in handheld mode, and this looks fine, even good. It’s a night and day difference for the better.

I'm talking about resolution only. Xenoblade 2 looks relatively clean, hitting its higher limit resolution most of the time. Whereas Xenoblade DE is blurry permanently and instantly noticeable.

Are you playing on a Switch lite? Maybe It's less obvious on a smaller screen?

-Arcadia-

Banned
I'm talking about resolution only. Xenoblade 2 looks relatively clean, hitting its higher limit resolution most of the time. Whereas Xenoblade DE is blurry permanently and instantly noticeable.

Are you playing on a Switch lite? Maybe It's less obvious on a smaller screen?

So am I. Mariko (Red box) normal Switch, with Xeno 2 played on the launch model.

Last edited:

BouncyFrag

I’ve had both joycons drift and this fixed it up quickly.
44R239_AS01

Zenaku

Having played FC I agree the picture was fairly blurry. When going into menus it'd take a second for the characters to upres, very noticeable. Though I feel the FC map was bigger than the older maps, and that might've contributed, I'll have to check the main game next.

As for Future Connected:
I have the theory that Takahashi plans to connect all the Xenoblade games into one universe, and had hoped that this might give a glimpse into that, but nothing concrete.

That said, the game never fully explained what the tears were, or what the Kirinoou/fog king was or where it came from. The only thing we have is the Alcamoth talk between Shulk and Melia where she worries that it may be pointing to something happening in the future, so my theory isn't completely shot yet.

We'll have to wait and see if the next game has anything similar, although I'm looking forward to seeing a ripped model of the Kirinoou, to see if it looks like anything we've seen before without the fog effect.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
I just started. I played the original at launch, but have forgotten a bunch.

The sidequests so far seem pointless. Someone says they lost an item, you offer to "look" for it. Then, the game just gives you a direct path to the exact spot of the item. You click on it and the quest is over - you don't even need to bring it back. Was it always like that? That seems kind of dumb.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I just started. I played the original at launch, but have forgotten a bunch.

The sidequests so far seem pointless. Someone says they lost an item, you offer to "look" for it. Then, the game just gives you a direct path to the exact spot of the item. You click on it and the quest is over - you don't even need to bring it back. Was it always like that? That seems kind of dumb.
The only thing that's changed in this version is the "the game just gives you a direct path to the exact spot of the item" part. I believe in the original game there was just an arrow at the top of the screen pointing in the general direction.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Played for five hours today. The resolution is a shame as expected, but I forgot about it pretty quickly. I’ve only played docked. It’s still a big upgrade over the original. Looking forward to playing some more tomorrow.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Played for five hours today. The resolution is a shame as expected, but I forgot about it pretty quickly. I’ve only played docked. It’s still a big upgrade over the original. Looking forward to playing some more tomorrow.

Everyone complains about the resolution for this and XC2 in handheld mode, but I actually notice it a lot less. To me, they look much worse on my 65" HD screen than on the tiny Switch (Lite) screen.

great beginner tips no spoilers stays in first area

I am grinding sidequests like crazy got to Melia's area and I remember some about this area but forgot when or how it changes things. Also want to make sure I spend enough time understanding how Future Connected ties in here later.

Lots and lots of timed quests. I don't want to miss timed quests

pretty much skipped heropon Ricky's location I know it is full of quests too but one grind at a time lol

Last edited:
Future Connected Spoiler Discussion

As for Future Connected:
I have the theory that Takahashi plans to connect all the Xenoblade games into one universe, and had hoped that this might give a glimpse into that, but nothing concrete.

That said, the game never fully explained what the tears were, or what the Kirinoou/fog king was or where it came from. The only thing we have is the Alcamoth talk between Shulk and Melia where she worries that it may be pointing to something happening in the future, so my theory isn't completely shot yet.

We'll have to wait and see if the next game has anything similar, although I'm looking forward to seeing a ripped model of the Kirinoou, to see if it looks like anything we've seen before without the fog effect.

Did you play Xenoblade X? Because imo the last cutscene is a massive hint, if not proof, that Xenoblade 1 (and thus 2, too) is connected to Xenoblade X! Exactly ONE Telethia flies through the rift. That almost can't be coincidence, since there's also just one Telethia in Xenoblade X. And 'future connected' means that X1/2 are now connected to the future that is Xenoblade X which takes place far in the future, literally.

The best part here would be that a Xenoblade X-port for Switch just became much more likely.

I'll leave it at that for now. Your thoughts?

Zenaku

Future Connected Spoiler Discussion

Did you play Xenoblade X? Because imo the last cutscene is a massive hint, if not proof, that Xenoblade 1 (and thus 2, too) is connected to Xenoblade X! Exactly ONE Telethia flies through the rift. That almost can't be coincidence, since there's also just one Telethia in Xenoblade X. And 'future connected' means that X1/2 are now connected to the future that is Xenoblade X which takes place far in the future, literally.

The best part here would be that a Xenoblade X-port for Switch just became much more likely.

I'll leave it at that for now. Your thoughts?
Yes, played X. I don't think the Telethia is the one in X though, you hear a fly zapper sound a couple of seconds after it disappears from view, hard to say if it went through. I'm not even sure after watching a few times if the Telethia died from that, as there were plenty flying around afterwards and Melia didn't seem sad, which I'd expect to see if they'd sacrificed themselves to save them.

I'd also say, if they are going to canonically connect all games as I hope, X wouldn't technically be the future, as it'd make more sense for the Earth destruction in the X opening to be the same event we see in Xeno 1 and 2.

Specifically, in Xeno 1 we find Claus' experiment destroyed the Earth, in Xeno 2 we find his experiment took place during a battle with an unseen enemy, and in X we see the world destroyed during the alien attack. If these all were the same event (we know 1 and 2 are) then it'd mean X is set in the past compared to X1 and X2 as they take place thousands of years after the creation of their pocket universes, while X takes place a few years after.

Yes, played X. I don't think the Telethia is the one in X though, you hear a fly zapper sound a couple of seconds after it disappears from view, hard to say if it went through. I'm not even sure after watching a few times if the Telethia died from that, as there were plenty flying around afterwards and Melia didn't seem sad, which I'd expect to see if they'd sacrificed themselves to save them.

I'd also say, if they are going to canonically connect all games as I hope, X wouldn't technically be the future, as it'd make more sense for the Earth destruction in the X opening to be the same event we see in Xeno 1 and 2.

Specifically, in Xeno 1 we find Claus' experiment destroyed the Earth, in Xeno 2 we find his experiment took place during a battle with an unseen enemy, and in X we see the world destroyed during the alien attack. If these all were the same event (we know 1 and 2 are) then it'd mean X is set in the past compared to X1 and X2 as they take place thousands of years after the creation of their pocket universes, while X takes place a few years after.

Are you sure earth in X was destroyed from Klaus' experiment? I thought it was destroyed by the aliens' attacks.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Good point. I guess I want to know which of the two is the better switch game.

I feel like starting here would be best.

Regardless of the argument between 2 and 1, these games can be deeply complex, and I think this one is a better introduction to the series in that manner. Likewise, while they’re both amazing games, 1 seems to be more of a legend, and that’s probably for a good reason.

The only caveat is that I’d argue that 2 has better visuals in Docked. While this is very, very pretty, there’s a bit of Wii-era stuff still in here, from animations to certain objects and characters being only lightly touched up.

Then again, this one is actually playable and solid looking in handheld, in my experience so far (2 is hideous portable), so that may balance back out, depending on how you use your Switch.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I feel like starting here would be best.

Regardless of the argument between 2 and 1, these games can be deeply complex, and I think this one is a better introduction to the series in that manner. Likewise, while they’re both amazing games, 1 seems to be more of a legend, and that’s probably for a good reason.

The only caveat is that I’d argue that 2 has better visuals in Docked. While this is very, very pretty, there’s a bit of Wii-era stuff still in here, from animations to certain objects and characters being only lightly touched up.

Then again, this one is actually playable and solid looking in handheld, in my experience so far (2 is hideous portable), so that may balance back out, depending on how you use your Switch.
I didn't realize 2 was poor in portable. As a Switch Lite owner, that makes my decision simple.

Sorry, but this really is making me upset, because it's *not* true.

Xenoblade 2 looks immensely better in handheld mode. XBDE looks very blurry all the time, while XB2 keeps a generally (relatively) clean/pleasant image quality.

I played XB2 the day before I got XBDE and it's instantly obvious, not even subtle. I very much recommend playing XBDE on tv where it looks fine.

Silvawuff

Got 4 hours in, experiencing this game for the first time. I'm loving it so far! The combat system has a lot of details to it, but it's slowly clicking. It's definitely got an MMO feel to it, which is great because I like MMOs. I can definitely see some of the old Xeno-DNA, which is good! The art design and details are great. I know this is a remaster, but I feel like it aged well for being a what, 8-year-old game? I can't say much for the story yet, but I've been having fun just running around the first area killing stuff and doing side quests. The scope of this game is impressive.

A friend who's playing this too says if you have a Xenoblade 2 save, this game actually gives you a loyalty bonus or something?

Zenaku

Are you sure earth in X was destroyed from Klaus' experiment? I thought it was destroyed by the aliens' attacks.
That was my thought back when I first played it too, but if all 3 Xenoblades are all connected, and considering Xenoblade 2 showed us Klaus conducted his experiment in the middle of a battle (we never see who the mechs are fighting) it'd make sense for them to have been the same event. Klaus conducted his experiment in what would be his last chance (during the alien attack), and that destroyed the planet and created pocket universes (X1 world, X2 world, Mira and likely more).

At the end of X, Rin says in the monologue "I don't think Earth is really gone", and Takahashi is known to destroy planets without actually destroying them.

It all hinges on the theory that all Xeno worlds are connected of course.

Komatsu

Love the fact they got Jenna Coleman back but her voice is so different now, her lines in Future Connect are driving me nuts.

Downloading now. I have this for Wii, 3ds and now Switch. I am so glad to be back in Xenoblade without the horrible fan-service design of Xenoblade 2.

wvnative

My final question for the time being. I see that leveling up arts takes a lot of points. For Shulk and Reyn, what are some suggested arts to prioritize for leveling up?

If it matters, I just
Saved Juju and met Sharla, back on the Wii, I think this is where I quit.

That was my thought back when I first played it too, but if all 3 Xenoblades are all connected, and considering Xenoblade 2 showed us Klaus conducted his experiment in the middle of a battle (we never see who the mechs are fighting) it'd make sense for them to have been the same event. Klaus conducted his experiment in what would be his last chance (during the alien attack), and that destroyed the planet and created pocket universes (X1 world, X2 world, Mira and likely more).

At the end of X, Rin says in the monologue "I don't think Earth is really gone", and Takahashi is known to destroy planets without actually destroying them.

It all hinges on the theory that all Xeno worlds are connected of course.

I will rewatch the opening of X when I have time. If it was destroyed by the experiment, you'd have a point.

Right now I'm looking at things from the pov where aliens destroyed earth. BUT: that doesn't mean there can't be a connection.

It's too much too explain it quickly, but: are you knowledgeable about upper/lower realm and real numbers domain/imaginary numbers domain? That's Takahashi Tetsuya's grand underlying concept for xenosaga/xenogears and it's likely part of Xenoblade, too, because it's part of Takahashi's philosophy, not just a game idea.

Using that connections are well possible, albeit still complicated in how exactly it works. From how I understand, Xenoblade 1 is part of the real numbers domain (rnd) whereas Xenoblade 2 is in the imaginary numbers domain (ind). Xenoblade X also is part of the ind, it's basically the future of Xenoblade 2. And now we have Future Connected that shows a rip in spacetime potentially leading to a different domain and time.

It's complicated, especially because Takahashi has only been hinting in each game at such concepts. That's why I hope for Xenoblade 3 to drop the charade and delve fully into these philosophical, metaphysical matters. Let's follow Klaus on a journey through space to explore the conduit/zohar and lastly the upper realm, too.

Sorry if you don't understand a word I wrote xD

EDIT:

And now i researched telethia in Xenoblade X. Apparently there's 2 (one with another form), but only one is listed in the game's bestiary, the other seems to be a multiplayer event. So we're still at one officially recognized Telethia. And as for a connection to Xenoblade 1, there's this:

"As revealed in one of the possible paths of A Fateful Choice, the Orphean once encountered Telethia at a vast ocean in another world, in poorly-understood prehistoric memories only recalled through the Ovah of Orphean female betaforms"

Vast ocean and 'prehistoric'? That's almost a confirmation imo :eek:

Last edited:
Interested to hear what you mean by this.

The character desgign of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 are completely ridiculous compared to Xenloblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles X. Rex is a bad design, Pyra/Mythra seem like fan service anime characters completely over the top. Looking back and designs from other RPG's with that Art style I just cannot connect 2's character designs.

Top Bottom