• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition |OT| What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Apparently.

I got the Pineapple (yessssss) for S-ranking Riki's restricted challenge. "A Shaggy Dog Story." It's not as hard as Dunban's restricted challenge, what worked for me was to have the party target 1 enemy at a time and load them up with all Riki's damage over time moves - poison, ice, and bleed, and then have everyone target a different enemy while those effects are working, load that enemy up with DoTs, and switch again. Just watch out for Shulk dying cause he's super squishy. Nice to let him get aggro for a bit though so you can get bonuses for hitting the enemy in the back.

I feel like this needed more time in the oven, optimization, and budget, visually.

One thing I noticed as I was testing it is that if you fast travel to any point in whatever huge area you are in, say from part of colony 9 to a different part, you warp there instantly in the blink of an eye, there isn't any loading delay at all, although a symbol does appear in the left corner. But if you travel from colony 9 area to colony 6 area, an icon of the monado appears in the bottom right while it takes some time to load in the new area. It seems all the geometry from each huge zone is fully loaded in all the time when you go there. That's just not how you do things and make them look pretty. In Xenoblade X, which is visually a more beautiful game despite being on older hardware, everything loads in around as you zoom around, it's a different style of generating the map.

Can the new 'QoL' (dumbing down) mechanics be disabled? I don't wanna be shown a line to my target.

Yeah I play with the map off completely most of the time, it's awesome. And when I do turn it on I set it to just the exclamations. The dotted line thing can be turned off by deactivating "travel guidance." Not all of the improvements are dumbing down though, some of them are just better.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Now that I have most characters I think, what's everyone's favorite party combos?
I keep rocking the "classic" Shulk, Reyn, Sharla combo, despite having a lot of other choices now. It's the trifecta of DPS, Tank, and Healer.

There are probably better combos though.

wvnative

I keep rocking the "classic" Shulk, Reyn, Sharla combo, despite having a lot of other choices now. It's the trifecta of DPS, Tank, and Healer.

There are probably better combos though.

I find it hard to choose because I feel anything without Shulk/Sharla would be kinda silly.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
I see the world's most useless jump button has made a return.

And I also see, they didn't remodel the jelly bodies the characters seem to be made of. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

J/K. Greatest JRPG ever made is back and I'm loving my replay of it.

Any chance they'll drop a patch for some QOL issues?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I see the world's most useless jump button has made a return.

And I also see, they didn't remodel the jelly bodies the characters seem to be made of. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

J/K. Greatest JRPG ever made is back and I'm loving my replay of it.

Any chance they'll drop a patch for some QOL issues?
Agreed, the jump in this game is basically useless. The only real utility it seems to have is moving through sludge faster, and occasionally getting you out of a tight spot if you're stuck behind a really low fence or something.

As for the patch, it seems likely. I know Xenoblade 2 got a bevy of patches post launch that not only fixed bugs and added QoL improvements, but also added a lot of free content. Hopefully we'll see a similar strategy here.

Now that I have most characters I think, what's everyone's favorite party combos?

They're all too good. Each new setup becomes my new favourite and then I don't want to change. Right now I'm loving controlling Riki. I made him HP up, ether up, poison plus, and bleed plus gems. When he casts all his damage over time attacks at once, he just shreds the enemy's lifebar, it's very satisfying to watch it drain down. And he has nearly max hp despite being level 37 via skill links and gems.

Last edited:
level 65 after 65 hours

not really sure how to move forward without leaving many quests undone

recontruction is as painful as I remembered even with trades

3L9g3jh.jpg

Naibel

I'm absolutely knee-deep into this game. Every sidequest I do it, every collectible I take it... I'm far from finishing it, but I savour every minute of it.

During one of the most depressing and retarded moments I've ever lived, this game is a beacon of light.

Who said video games were a waste of time ?

Andyliini

It seems like this game gives you far more varied random drops that the original. I remember leaving many pages in Collectopaedia unfulfilled because the needed items just wouldn't drop. Now I'm just going for Ether Mines, and I have all three aread already full. Also, doing quests are much more simple and fun because of the guide system. Now I don't need to search every bond on Bionis' Leg to find Brogs who drop some random items.

The game has me totally hooked (18+hrs strong). What stands out the most is that VO. God damn that is some amazing voice work literally from each NPC.

P.S. you know when you collect shit and you get this vision (we collected all 3 bla bla, we should give to bla bla). Do I still have to find those guys myself or will they be visible on the map once I go back to the older cities to deliver them this. I ask because I dont remember getting these quests so I donno if ill have any pointer to who to give.

I'm in Alcamoth playing around with Melly's powers and there's like 8 million quests. Everywhere I go I solve 3 quests at a time without even realizing what they are, but then I get 5 more quests and my to do list keeps getting bigger lol. I'm loving the game even more the second time around, especially now that I understand the combat so much better.

P.S. you know when you collect shit and you get this vision (we collected all 3 bla bla, we should give to bla bla). Do I still have to find those guys myself or will they be visible on the map once I go back to the older cities to deliver them this. I ask because I dont remember getting these quests so I donno if ill have any pointer to who to give.

Yeah you have to meet the npc and be given the quest before you can complete it, the quest won't start until you talk to them and they're ready to give it, even though your visions are telling you to hold on to the loot for the future. A little blue exclamation mark appears near loot like this so you won't accidentally sell or use it. There are prerequisites for a quest to start, like having high enough affinity with the area, so even if you know who it is the right npc might not have an exclamation over their head to give you the quest yet.

TheContact

TheContact TheContact

Which is better for you X1 or 2? I heard 2 isnt really a direct sequel to X1?

I personally like X1 more, but I hated the low resolution when it was on the Wii. I even bought it on the 3DS hoping it would be better experience (it wasn't). It's not a direct sequel, which is good because you can pick up X2 if you wanted without having had played X1 and still enjoy the story. There are some connections but nothing major that would affect your experience with it.

John Day

Been playing it at work. I find it doesn’t drain me as much if i don’t sit and play for hours and hours, with so many quests. Yeah, i’m getting old...

I had a fight with a mob of enemies and a boss at the same time, and I did a chain attack multiplier combo where Reyn used War Swing and Dunban used Soaring Tempest. Those are their moves that hit all enemies around them at once. Anyway, whenever you kill an enemy during a chain attack, you get one bar of the party gauge back, so they filled up the party gauge by killing all the regular enemies surrounding me so that after the chain attack I could go straight into another chain attack against da baws. That felt really cool.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I just finished up Makna. I am doing most of the sidequests this time. I skipped a lot of them on the Wii. I am skipping the ones that have wierd weather requirements since those are a pain in the ass.

Ok, I was worried that all the bonus xp from doing these quests was making too overleveled so I turned on expert mode and dropped everyone's levels down. It doesn't screw around with skill trees or arts, only lowers their stats, so seems pretty cool

Wunray

Finally made it to the end game and I must say, the amount of despair would make junko cry, I remember that feeling the first time I played through. The main antagonist/s of Xenoblade chronicles have yet to be bested in the Xenoblade series, imo of course.

Ma-Yuan

Currently Lvl 37 avoiding sidequests since I just don't have the time for them. I take them all and if I happen to easily finish the requirements on the way I do it but otherwise the Story is my main focus. Since i can only play after my two kids sleep and most of the time I am to tired to drain the switch lite battery to less then 50% this game will last quiet awhile for me :D

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Too many sidequests in Eryth Sea. I did a ton of them, head back to town and there are a billion more "!" on the map now.

why are we getting so many salty posts about ports to other platforms for this game? How did they even hear about it outside a Nintendo Direct?

I know people love Melia and I do too but damn she has to do a lot more

when a girl says this will help me protect Shulk everytime she levels up
and she is going all out

all for Shulk not sure if he deserves such devotion. I wish Rex could get this much love only one girl calls him Master.

I'm doing a quest right now that says "challenge yourself to listen to desiree's long and boring story"

LOL

Edit: quest update says try not to fall asleep while she's talking

Edit: damn, after I did the quest it unlocked a whole new skill tree for shulk. Just for listening to someone talk about themselves too much, lol

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
The pathfinder is handy, but it is really weird as the game clearly wasn't designed for it.

You get quests to find an item. They give you hints on what area you are likely to find it, etc. But now it just shows you the exact location and a GPS path to run to get straight to it. It takes the name "fetch quest" to another level.

Top Bottom