• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition |OT| What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Apparently.

Ma-Yuan

I finished it yesterday and have admit 10 years ago it was a much better experience. At least I have it more favorable in my memories^^

I am quiet pissed about the ending since XC2 more or less did a little retcon to connect both games. The endings of 1 and 2 don't fit 100% when you compare them but then XCDE sticks with original Ending. :-/ I would have doubled down on the connection and maybe show a bit more . . .

I started Future connect and it feels directly out of touch with the main game. I am open to see how it unfolds but the first hour feels like bad fan fiction :(

Ok read some theory on my spoiler tag :D

So basically they doubled down on the connection by having the core around Alvis neck.
But stuck to the different endings because its the same event told one time by Klaus and one time by Alvis.

Now my own thoughts:
It would make sense that Alvis did not tell Shulk what really happened since this world (earth) had no god but the humans went for each other anyway and Shulk only knows conflict between homs and mechon. So maybe alvis thought the whole truth does not fit for Shulk. Making sure that he would create the new world in the way he wants Shulk to do it.

With this theory and my own thoughts I can live with it :D

checkcola

I have been playing this game lately and have been enjoying it. I will admit that the different custom stuff can get kind of overwhelming, but one thing I find is with so many side quests, usually its easy to stay properly/over leveled when moving on with the story.

Andyliini

Man, once you reach chapter 17, the quests become challenging. I have done every quest I have found since now, and now I'm supposed to fight some 90+ level monsters with my characters around level 80? Have to quite a lot of grinding to even survive in Tephra Cave now.

Jeeves

Reyn: "You can't have a rainbow without Reyn, baby!"
Melia: "Dunban, I think you need to have a talk with Reyn."
Dunban: "No. Let's pretend it didn't happen."

This game is so damn good. The party members really have a way of endearing themselves to you.

Ulysses 31

Is it true that if you overlevel the enemy, the game is harder?
That makes no sense.

The enemies get easier the closer their lvl is too yours. If you're below, you get a hit penalty so you miss more often. If you over level them then they hit you less often.

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
So, what is everyone’s favorite location in the remaster? I’ve only made it to Sword Valley so far, but I gotta be honest, Valak Mountain is something special. It’s not the prettiest place, but it’s completely unique with its transporting geysers, slopped land, narrow shortcuts, ice slides, and falling snow. I also think it’s the best looking night location.

Made it to the Nopon village. I'm kind of rushing through here as I've cleared it on the Wii already. Pretty fun but at the same time I feel like the game is smaller than I remembered.

gtrwll

Man, it took this game like 70 hours to produce some even mildly interesting side quests. Well, at least the main story has been ok.

NahaNago

Still at the very beginning of the game since I only found my switch last week and just been grinding and doing side quests. I've just been enjoy grinding, selling my loot, and upgrading my gear. I probably should progress the story a bit to get the monado

Wunray

Future connected has been a drag, made it to the final boss and can't be asked to beat it, but I must. The 2 new nopons are great though.

gtrwll

Just finished the main story. It was a good game, although it became clear quite early on that I prefer XC2 much more. I can see why it is regarded as a classic though, must have been one hell of a game in 2011, on Wii nonetheless. Saved Future Connected for later.

I’m glad I got to experience the game, can’t wait to see what Monolith Soft will do next!

I love the combat in Xenoblade, but this made me laugh:

yfD8rj2.jpg

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Still playing this, but took a break to play through Evoland and Evoland 2 while I'm moving, because it's easier to digest in smaller chunks. Next week I should be back at this, I'm probably 3/4 of the way through already.

The Hermit

Just finished again.
I was reading my posts from 2011 when I first played this gem. I forgot a bunch of things, like that I had over 140 hours, but the feeling of excitement and being blown away by the soundtrack I carry until today. My Wii broke shortly after I stopped playing it so never managed to play again until now.

Jesus Christ what a game. 2nd favorite JRPG, losing only to Chrono Trigger by the tiniest margin.
This remake is everything it needed, the remastered soundtrack is so good it felt like almost like the first time.

Going to the Future Connected "DLC" but the first hours are not encouraging ( Nopons Meh-Meh shit and a lot of reused assets/enemies, but that was expected).

Last edited:

drganon

Im on ch7 right now. So far I'm enjoying it. Cant say if I like it better than 2. One thing i really like is the little dots on the map telling you where you need to go. I spent a good chunk of time on 2 trying to figure out how to get to the next plot point. The whole you're this many feet away wasn't helpful when it lead you to dead ends.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Anybody doing the full Colony 6 restoration? Seems like such a time sink, but I'm loving it because it's a good way to break up the game's story.

Andyliini

Anybody doing the full Colony 6 restoration? Seems like such a time sink, but I'm loving it because it's a good way to break up the game's story.
I did the whole thing now that the times were easier to find. Black Liver Beans were still a challenge to find, as you can't mark consturction items on map.

I did the whole thing now that the times were easier to find. Black Liver Beans were still a challenge to find, as you can't mark consturction items on map.

Btw guys you can trade for black liver beans with the nopon sage who gives you the time-attack challenges, just in case anyone reading doesn't know

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Bumping old thread. I was wondering if anyone can help me. I’m trying to get more armor sets. But not for combat, just for looks. How do you know if you get the armor for good (for dress) even if you sell it? And how can I track down certain pieces?

Also, what’s the best way to fill out skill trees?

Wunray

Bumping old thread. I was wondering if anyone can help me. I’m trying to get more armor sets. But not for combat, just for looks. How do you know if you get the armor for good (for dress) even if you sell it? And how can I track down certain pieces?

Also, what’s the best way to fill out skill trees?
You only need to have it once and it's yours forever you can sell it, Idk if it was patched but it also works for the special armor in trials. As for tracking certain armor you can't do that in the game so a guide is your best bet. As for skill trees I wouldn't worry about that until it's time for super bosses and by that time you should already have everything at the end of the game.
I am uncultured and don't know any better.
I for one agree, I don't see why people are buggin about this post.

splattered

This game is on clearance along with others at Walmart for $10... i picked this up along with Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE. Was hoping to find the $10 Octopath Traveler as well but no store near me had it. Wonderful 101, Donky Kong, Kirby, Hyrule Warriors, and others are $5 or $10 depending on your area.

e&e

Banned
This game is on clearance along with others at Walmart for $10... i picked this up along with Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE. Was hoping to find the $10 Octopath Traveler as well but no store near me had it. Wonderful 101, Donky Kong, Kirby, Hyrule Warriors, and others are $5 or $10 depending on your area.
YMMV?

Hudo

I wish they would remake Xenoblade Chronicles X from the wii-u....it's the only reason I still have a wii-u
Soraya Saga, the wife of Tetsuya Takahashi, recently tweeted something along the lines that her kids loved Xenoblade X the most.

Tg89

I jumped back into this one last week.

It's a game I've bounced off of before and never quite grabbed me. .I remember being hyped back when an NA release first got announced for Wii, bought it day one but got maybe 2-3 hours in before dropping it and never picking it up again. I bought the DE on a whim for Switch, I was making decent progress initially and enjoying it, but I fell off somewhere around the 25 hour mark and my interest in playing it just ceased. I was towards the end of Makna Forest at the time. Finally jumped back in, decided to just pick up where I left off, dicked around with sidequests a bit to refamiliarize myself with the combat before proceeding with the story. I've been mostly mainlining the story since then...admittedly I'm not a fan of the sidequests which so far have been pretty low quality MMO-type quests. The combat itself is okay, but not good enough for me to want to do more of it then is required. Still, it's pretty mindless fun just spamming things when they're off cooldown and the combo system is satisfying to engage in when your AI actually does their jobs. The story is a bit too anime for me but otherwise it's cool, not nearly as cliche as I would have thought and the surprises/twists are well thought out and paced.

What's really been pushing me forward though, and has caused me to play hours a day since getting back into it, is the world. The high-level concept alone is great but the absolute scale they've been able to achieve is something else. I'm up to Mechonis Field now and my drive to get to and see the next area just keeps increasing. Love the variety in the biomes and how distinct Bionis is from Mechonis so far. The soundtrack is full of bangers too, Mechonis Field might be my favorite track so far. Feels like I'm on the homestretch but maybe I'm wrong.

How does XC2 hold up to this?

Wunray

It's a game I've bounced off of before and never quite grabbed me. .I remember being hyped back when an NA release first got announced for Wii, bought it day one but got maybe 2-3 hours in before dropping it and never picking it up again. I bought the DE on a whim for Switch, I was making decent progress initially and enjoying it, but I fell off somewhere around the 25 hour mark and my interest in playing it just ceased. I was towards the end of Makna Forest at the time. Finally jumped back in, decided to just pick up where I left off, dicked around with sidequests a bit to refamiliarize myself with the combat before proceeding with the story. I've been mostly mainlining the story since then...admittedly I'm not a fan of the sidequests which so far have been pretty low quality MMO-type quests. The combat itself is okay, but not good enough for me to want to do more of it then is required. Still, it's pretty mindless fun just spamming things when they're off cooldown and the combo system is satisfying to engage in when your AI actually does their jobs. The story is a bit too anime for me but otherwise it's cool, not nearly as cliche as I would have thought and the surprises/twists are well thought out and paced.

What's really been pushing me forward though, and has caused me to play hours a day since getting back into it, is the world. The high-level concept alone is great but the absolute scale they've been able to achieve is something else. I'm up to Mechonis Field now and my drive to get to and see the next area just keeps increasing. Love the variety in the biomes and how distinct Bionis is from Mechonis so far. The soundtrack is full of bangers too, Mechonis Field might be my favorite track so far. Feels like I'm on the homestretch but maybe I'm wrong.

IMO Xbc2 story isn't as good as the first but the music, world scale, combat (after the first 2 hours) and cast are all up to par. It's a shame rex VA isn't as good as shulk but he was rather new in the business. If XBC story is a A+ then XBC 2 is a B+ (imo leans a little into anime tropes but I enjoy it for what it is) I would pick up Xbc2 it's worth it just temper your expectations and keep an open mind.
you missed out on the second best XBC meme in part 2 because nintendo patched it

I bounced off this game after about 10 hours. The gameplay felt like playing through a single player MMO and the story didn't grab me. Not sure whether it just didn't age great or if I just don't like the genre

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Very mediocre game.
I can agree. I'm not very far from the beggining, just went out of the mines in Colony 6 and met Dunban again, and while I kinda like the story, graphics and music, it's the gameplay what I can't stand.

The exploration is almost pointless, just big empty areas full of chores (MMO-tier sidequests) to do, and the combat almost plays by itself, just the same strategy over and over. Does it get better or should I just drop it?

Tg89

I can agree. I'm not very far from the beggining, just went out of the mines in Colony 6 and met Dunban again, and while I kinda like the story, graphics and music, it's the gameplay what I can't stand.

The exploration is almost pointless, just big empty areas full of chores (MMO-tier sidequests) to do, and the combat almost plays by itself, just the same strategy over and over. Does it get better or should I just drop it?
FWIW I mostly agree. Gameplay is by far the weakest aspect of the game I think. I can see it being more interesting for people who haven't played (lots of) MMOs before.

I will say that the graphics, music and story all continue to get better over the course of the game. The game really continuously gains momentum in all three areas. If you think that's potentially enough to get past the gameplay, then I'd probably recommend just ignoring the sidequests. Mainline the game, maybe even throw it on casual mode to further reduce the time you're forced to spend in combat. As much as I love seeing the new areas, I don't think it's worthwhile exploring every edge of them, and I think the pace of the game feels a lot better when you just do the necessary in each area.

Last edited:

Tg89

IMO Xbc2 story isn't as good as the first but the music, world scale, combat (after the first 2 hours) and cast are all up to par. It's a shame rex VA isn't as good as shulk but he was rather new in the business. If XBC story is a A+ then XBC 2 is a B+ (imo leans a little into anime tropes but I enjoy it for what it is) I would pick up Xbc2 it's worth it just temper your expectations and keep an open mind.
Fair enough. The music and the world/its scale are what I like most about this, so I think it's at least worth a shot.

Hulk_Smash

Banned

If you don’t like anime, X2 doubles down on it.

Mechonis Field is about 2/3rds the way through. LOL Not even close to the homestretch.

Zannegan

What's really been pushing me forward though, and has caused me to play hours a day since getting back into it, is the world. The high-level concept alone is great but the absolute scale they've been able to achieve is something else. I'm up to Mechonis Field now and my drive to get to and see the next area just keeps increasing. Love the variety in the biomes and how distinct Bionis is from Mechonis so far.
The world is the main draw for me too. I'm not a fan of the combat, though it's a step up from purely turn-based for this style of game (who wants to stop every 5 seconds as they're running across an open field to deal with a band of lemur-crabs?) The environments are incredible though.

Hulk_Smash

Banned

If you think the exploration is pointless then this game is not for you. The combat is actually very complex. For example, do the right combination of arts and Dunban can break, topple, and daze and enemy all by himself. I just learned that today and I’ve beat this game before.

You have to think of combat in RPG terms more than action.

if the story isn’t grabbing you at the very least, I wouldn’t keep playing.

Last edited:
Already made a post in the controversial opinion thread.

- Low quality MMO type (side) quests
- Boring large open world locations
- Every item on the map is an orb
- Shitty characters pandering to the typical waifu weeaboo (the second one is even worse in this regard)
- Mediocre and convoluted battle system
- Not enough towns or big cities to discover

I did like the story and "Titans" gimmick as worlds. Ending was cool too.

The extra part after finishing the definitive edition for Switch is even more MMO type crap but I did finish it.

Hudo

Already made a post in the controversial opinion thread.

- Low quality MMO type (side) quests
- Boring large open world locations
- Every item on the map is an orb
- Shitty characters pandering to the typical waifu weeaboo (the second one is even worse in this regard)
- Mediocre and convoluted battle system
- Not enough towns or big cities to discover

I did like the story and "Titans" gimmick as worlds. Ending was cool too.

The extra part after finishing the definitive edition for Switch is even more MMO type crap but I did finish it.
Thank you for providing a basis for your opinion. Your initial post where you just said that the game is mediocre was useless on it's own, that's why I asked.

I would personally disagree with all your points but I can see why people might see those as a problem. So I guess it's really a subjective thing. I mean, I still think Witcher 3 one of the most "meh" games I have played (until I dropped it) and there are more than enough people saying that Witcher 3 is the best game ever, which is fair enough.

Thank you for providing a basis for your opinion. Your initial post where you just said that the game is mediocre was useless on it's own, that's why I asked.

I would personally disagree with all your points but I can see why people might see those as a problem. So I guess it's really a subjective thing. I mean, I still think Witcher 3 one of the most "meh" games I have played (until I dropped it) and there are more than enough people saying that Witcher 3 is the best game ever, which is fair enough.
Yeah it's just my opinion. I mostly love Jrpg's though and maybe had too high expectations for this game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom