• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

jdstorm

Banned
Got up to the final boss. Since i already know what happened i ended up skipping it and just doing side missions. Lots of good stuff in there.

Going to save my impressions for a RTTP Im working on. Thinking of calling it

XCX: Nagi's Angels or Chausons Angels as a pun on Charlies Angels

Is there a way to refresh squad tasks faster? Or do I just have to wait until after the timer hits 0 and then I get new ones given to me randomly?

Edit:

WOW I GOT THE ARES 90 AND HOLY SHIT LOL I DONT NEED A PARTY ANYMORE

THIS THING IS ACTUALLY 100 TIMES STRONGER THAN MY LEVEL 50 SKELL, IT CAN 1 HIT KO LEVEL 80 THINGS THAT WOULD PROBABLY HAVE TAKEN ME LIKE 15 MINUTES TO KILL

WHEW THIS IS NUTS

I feel like the game is finally starting for me.
The Ares 90 gets outclassed by some of the level 60 frames carrying those super weapons you have to craft. There are specific builds that can almost reach the theoretical damage cap and there are super bosses that laugh off your puny ether attacks and will crush you and your Ares 90 where you stand.

Have fun!

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The Ares 90 gets outclassed by some of the level 60 frames carrying those super weapons you have to craft. There are specific builds that can almost reach the theoretical damage cap and there are super bosses that laugh off your puny ether attacks and will crush you and your Ares 90 where you stand.

Have fun!

I figured the ares 90 is only a platform for starting the end game grind but it's utterly insane just how much stronger this made me. I am finally able to grind out proper ground gear and augments lol.

jonjonaug

I figured the ares 90 is only a platform for starting the end game grind but it's utterly insane just how much stronger this made me. I am finally able to grind out proper ground gear and augments lol.

You can use the Ares 90 to clear every piece of the map grid pretty easily with some augments. The other level 60 mechs can outpace it eventually but it takes a ton more grinding.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Farmed out 3 Arts TP gain XV (I thought about going for XX but 3 XV was faster and I think 3 XX might be over kill considering I can't even spend all the TP XV gives me fast enough) and I think ground combat is really just coming together now lol.

I can finally solo luciel on foot, something not even my ares can do.

Dreams do come true~~

Yeah wow even with my weak setup of 450tp gain on arts, 3 melee attack V, one TP up XX and 250 potential ether blossom is ridiculously strong.

Really the only way I can die is if I forget to refresh ghost walker.

The only difference between me and the high end variations of the build is that they kill things at least twice as fast lol.

RiggyRob

People weren't kidding when they said the meat of the story comes from side missions - the human-xeno racial tension really ramps up with missions like
the guy holding a seminar which turns out to be an execution of the Manon
and the backstory on
Phog, H.B. and Alexa

Also having a heavy Skell makes fights so much easier.

depward

Picked this back up. Currently doing requirements for chapter 6.

So far, I'm looking the requirements. Such as 20% exploration. It pushes the best part of this game: exploring!

We'll see if that thought holds true later ;)

I'll have to look at skell stuff soon as I'll hopefully unlock in the next couple of days. And then some leveling guides.

Question: who should be my 4th party member? Been using L exclusively. It's been ok.

jonjonaug

Picked this back up. Currently doing requirements for chapter 6.

So far, I'm looking the requirements. Such as 20% exploration. It pushes the best part of this game: exploring!

We'll see if that thought holds true later ;)

I'll have to look at skell stuff soon as I'll hopefully unlock in the next couple of days. And then some leveling guides.

Question: who should be my 4th party member? Been using L exclusively. It's been ok.

You should be swapping characters in and out of your party regularly for affinity purposes if you want to see the most content possible before post-game. In post game you can grind affinity really quickly, but I think it's more fun to use everyone instead of just using Elma+Lin+one fourth character. I usually only use Elma/Lin for story missions and affinity quests that required them to be in the party since there were so many of those.

jdstorm

Banned
You should be swapping characters in and out of your party regularly for affinity purposes if you want to see the most content possible before post-game. In post game you can grind affinity really quickly, but I think it's more fun to use everyone instead of just using Elma+Lin+one fourth character. I usually only use Elma/Lin for story missions and affinity quests that required them to be in the party since there were so many of those.

For story missions (Compulsary Lin + Elma) you want someone who fits onto the bottom rung of the skill tree (Astral Crusader, Psyrocorruptor, Galactic knight ect) since lin takes the top line and elma takes the middle (or in more traditional terms Lin is the Tank, Elma is the Hunter) so you want a healer/buffer type.

Your early game options are Doug, Irina and Hope. Doug has the highest DPS, Hope does lots of buffing. Both are ok, but the most useful character out of that group is Irina. Later you get two more options that you may want to use over Irina.
Cecelia, and Mia

If you are happy playing the Healer/buffer yourself try Lao or Alexa as they have useful skills that will have them being your primary skell pilot after you get your first Skell. (NPCs dont lose insurance when they die, so its good to have them control the level 20 skell and wait until you unlock a level 30 Skell before starting to burn through it. Level 20 Skells will die a lot if you arent careful)

depward

Got my skell license. Proceeded to try to fly... Then did some looking and saw that happens several chapters from now :/

Jumped into a big pit though! And had no idea how to get a skell back. Figured it out eventually.

Onward to chapter 7!

depward

Chapter 7 - done! Just dinged level 30 and purchased a heavy skell. I'm assuming it's quite normal to be living in this thing now that I have it, right?

Requirements already met for chapter 8 but trying to gain a couple of levels before doing it.

I still can't get over this world. It's amazing. So lush, so much stuff going on, so many different creatures. And I still haven't hit the northern areas!

Chapter 7 - done! Just dinged level 30 and purchased a heavy skell. I'm assuming it's quite normal to be living in this thing now that I have it, right?

Requirements already met for chapter 8 but trying to gain a couple of levels before doing it.

I still can't get over this world. It's amazing. So lush, so much stuff going on, so many different creatures. And I still haven't hit the northern areas!
Oh boy, I can't wait until you get to Sylvalum.

neoemonk

Have fun!

I really need to come back to this game. I want to do a full affinity mission playthrough first, and then explore this crazy end game stuff. I finished before Zelda and now I'm playing that and Persona 5, with the new Fire Emblem right around the corner, so one day I may come back to this.

Just kidding I still have Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

depward

Gained about six levels easily by upgrading to a heavy skell, buying the gbuster, and battling indigens about 10-15 levels higher than me. Feels a little cheap but excited to power through some main quest chapters, get the flight module, and explooooore.

... Also haven't even started Tokyo Mirage Sessions. And have BoTW after that. But whatever.

depward

Yooooo chapter 8 was when things got real!

Now doing chapter 9 prerequisites aaaand looks like a visit to Sylvalum is in order!

jdstorm

Banned

You will be forced to use you ground gear at some point later in the game, so dont neglect it completely. Its also much simpler if you are exploring caves so try and keep using it occasionally.

depward

Chapter 9 down and flight module acquired! Oh man going anywhere in a skell is fun!

Boss for chapter 9 was pretty tough... Thinking I'll need to grind a bit for money to get my whole team equipped with skells and do some big time ground gear checking and skills / arts as well.

Sylvalum is freaking awesome btw. So many places to see!

depward

Flew around installing probes everywhere I could. Also opening treasure where I could. Having a money problem... And with some FrontierNav work, got my money up to 40k every cycle. I have a holy amount of mining probes but only like 4 research ones.

Need to afford some heavy skells for the rest of my team and outfitting them. Also need to level up a bit before tackling chapter 10.

depward

Daaaaan that chapter 10 boss! Good LORD.

Maybe I'm playing the game wrong, I don't know, but I had a HARD time against both phases. Had to get through the first phase, then get skells back, and then a couple of attempts against the second phase.

Onto some fun chapter 11 pre-requisites.

jdstorm

Banned
Daaaaan that chapter 10 boss! Good LORD.

Maybe I'm playing the game wrong, I don't know, but I had a HARD time against both phases. Had to get through the first phase, then get skells back, and then a couple of attempts against the second phase.

Onto some fun chapter 11 pre-requisites.

Level grinding is less important then gear synergy. Chapter 10 is relitively easy compared to some of the stuff that comes later. So make sure you start stacking abilities and grinding out some good Augments.

Also remember to save right before you start a chapter mission so you can return to that point if the boss is too hard.

depward

Level grinding is less important then gear synergy. Chapter 10 is relitively easy compared to some of the stuff that comes later. So make sure you start stacking abilities and grinding out some good Augments.

Also remember to save right before you start a chapter mission so you can return to that point if the boss is too hard.
Ah very good. I've done exactly... Zero augment stuff? Haha. Time to do some research and get cracking!

jdstorm

Banned
Yeah, if anyone's got any tips on what augments are/what they do/how to get them/which ones to use, we'd be interested in knowing too!

Augments are like gems in the origional xenoblade (or gems in any other RPG really) They attatch to each of your weapons, Armour, and Skells will have a variety of stat and ability boosting abilities.

So when items say something like x backdmg ect it means that your damage is boosted when attacking from behind with that weapon. Better items have empty slots where you can put your own crafted Augments that are best suited to your build.

Augments and other high powered equiptment can be crafted at the terminal in Arms Alley where you level up Arms manufacturers.

Thats the quick version.

depward

That's good stuff. Thank you! Did some digging and apparently there are a lot of different ones.

Will also have to think how it might work with classes I've maxed... and arts chosen.

Lots to mull over.

Won't be playing for a couple of days. Hopefully in a week I'll have augments figured out and ready to tackle chapter 11.

depward

Was unable to make progress due to cancer treatment complications but feeling better as of late to continue on.

Done with chapter 11 requirements. Did some initial augment + art / skill equipping. I had been hoarding bp so started leveling up some select skills and arts.

Will attempt chapter 11 here tonight / tomorrow.

jdstorm

Banned
Was unable to make progress due to cancer treatment complications but feeling better as of late to continue on.

Done with chapter 11 requirements. Did some initial augment + art / skill equipping. I had been hoarding bp so started leveling up some select skills and arts.

Will attempt chapter 11 here tonight / tomorrow.

Glad to hear that you are doing better. Best of luck with both Chapter 11 and staying healthy.

depward

Chapter 11 complete! Pretty easy peasy actually... Had a much harder time with 10. Guess leveling up skills and arts while getting some augments in place helps? ;)

Going to quickly max level then attempt chapter 12. Hope it goes smoothly so I can then nicely post-game this excellent game!

Chapter 11 complete! Pretty easy peasy actually... Had a much harder time with 10. Guess leveling up skills and arts while getting some augments in place helps? ;)

Going to quickly max level then attempt chapter 12. Hope it goes smoothly so I can then nicely post-game this excellent game!
Make sure you have a reliable ground build as well as a tricked out skell. There are endgame and post game bits that have you traversing indoor areas on foot and some of these have tough bosses, so if you're not good on the ground, you're toast.

depward

Make sure you have a reliable ground build as well as a tricked out skell. There are endgame and post game bits that have you traversing indoor areas on foot and some of these have tough bosses, so if you're not good on the ground, you're toast.
That's good intel thanks! Taking a look at level 60 / 55 gear, I'd peg about 1 mil for each character to upgrade ground gear. And I only have 3 level 30 skells... And level 50 ones are like 5 mil.

Dang that's a lot of money. Will have to figure out ways to get some credits..

jdstorm

Banned
That's good intel thanks! Taking a look at level 60 / 55 gear, I'd peg about 1 mil for each character to upgrade ground gear. And I only have 3 level 30 skells... And level 50 ones are like 5 mil.

Dang that's a lot of money. Will have to figure out ways to get some credits..

If you want a low effort way just leave the game running overnight and or while you do other things. Check your probe locations and make sure to find some of the scenic lookout spots since that gives you extra cash.

depward

If you want a low effort way just leave the game running overnight and or while you do other things. Check your probe locations and make sure to find some of the scenic lookout spots since that gives you extra cash.
Ooooh yeah I stumbled across this tactic last night when doing some searching.

Hmm. I suppose I'll look into it. Need to take a look at probe placement... Think I'm at 47k / click right now. Bet I could do much better.

Thanks! I'll take a closer look :)

depward

Alright increased my tick to 107k via some rearranged probe placement.

Now: rubber band is in place :D

I feel kinda crummy doing it but I need A BUNCH of money. Oh well.

Then: buying spree, perhaps a new skell or two, getting some good drops for said skells and then chapter 12!

RiggyRob

We managed to take down the Chapter 10 boss last night, goddamn was it a grind.

We had very helpful people in the stream chat telling us what build to aim for, and it STILL takes a shitload of money/miranium to get everything. Luckily they also told us that having 1 good level 50 Skell with weak level 30 Skells is better than having a whole team of above average level 30 Skells, which we wouldn't have thought of.

depward

We managed to take down the Chapter 10 boss last night, goddamn was it a grind.

We had very helpful people in the stream chat telling us what build to aim for, and it STILL takes a shitload of money/miranium to get everything. Luckily they also told us that having 1 good level 50 Skell with weak level 30 Skells is better than having a whole team of above average level 30 Skells, which we wouldn't have thought of.
Yeah the chapter 10 boss was no joke for me. I got really lucky.

jdstorm

Banned
Grinding in XCX is really easy if you have flight mode and know one simple trick.

1. Aquire 4 level 30 skells with the Gbuster weapon (Lilah's are cheap and come with the weapon already equipt)
2. Add anti mech augments that boost damage vs robotic enemies
3. Go to a designated probe in Sylvium where a solo level 60 mech is situated high above it on a cliff (i forget which probe it is. Ask google)
4. Spam the Gbuster. You will reach level 40-45 in no time. Especially if you are using a piece of gear with an experience gain augment.
5. Now go to the top of Noctilum, where there are 3 aligator like enemies. Change your augments to damage those types of enemies. Kill all 3 then fast travel back to the probe and repeat.

Follow this and you should reach level 50-55 in about an hour from level 30. Progress gets much slower as you approach level 60.

depward

Grinding in XCX is really easy if you have flight mode and know one simple trick.

1. Aquire 4 level 30 skells with the Gbuster weapon (Lilah's are cheap and come with the weapon already equipt)
2. Add anti mech augments that boost damage vs robotic enemies
3. Go to a designated probe in Sylvium where a solo level 60 mech is situated high above it on a cliff (i forget which probe it is. Ask google)
4. Spam the Gbuster. You will reach level 40-45 in no time. Especially if you are using a piece of gear with an experience gain augment.
5. Now go to the top of Noctilum, where there are 3 aligator like enemies. Change your augments to damage those types of enemies. Kill all 3 then fast travel back to the probe and repeat.

Follow this and you should reach level 50-55 in about an hour from level 30. Progress gets much slower as you approach level 60.

Yeah! That was my grinding process... Though I did steps 1-4 the whole way.

Probe 314 :)

depward

Well crap I should have received a lot more money last night. Left the game on, rubber band in place so I was running in a circle, in a cave where there aren't any enemies.

Hmm wonder why I didn't get the 'tick' all night long. Anyone know?

Edit - well should have looked harder about this :D I guess the game outsmarted me haha! Read about the "fan trick" which is pretty funny..

depward

Was able to collect some money, upgrade my party.... and feeling good finally after my last treatment to power through and beat chapter 12 this morning.

First some non-spoiler talk: I really enjoyed this game. I think I enjoyed it more than Xenoblade Chronicles! I liked the exploration - that aspect was AMAZING - and the living, breathing world. Really, unlike any open world game I've played.

I really liked the music! Yeah, the nighttime New L.A. song was eeeehhh but I really liked the main themes, the vocal arrangements, battle themes, etc.

I thought the structure was interesting. Only a handful of times was I handcuffed in progressing through the game. I wouldn't put it as a negative aspect.

Elma is one of my favorite characters out of any RPG. Shares the title with Marle from Chrono Trigger and Karin Koenig from Shadow Hearts Covenant. Would be really cool if she could be a playable character in a new Smash title?

Chapter 12 was really great. I'm a big fan of neat cinematics... think that's why I really enjoyed Metal Gear Solid 4 ;) Thought that chapter had some very interesting moments.

Now some spoilers:

True form Elma?! Holy cow. Ok then. Haha!

Such a cliffhanger at the end.

Thought the Lao fight was a worthy last boss battle. I had geared up appropriately so it didn't take too much... thought had to use a couple of Skell HP refill items.

Anywho, I'm going to take a break from this game but come back and do some post-game stuff because I found it to be a LOT of fun.

Next up: Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE! I'll likely post some random things here and there on that OT like I did here. Will still subscribe to chime in if anyone else has questions or anything.

Final words: I loved Xenoblade Chronicles X. Took about 60 playing hours. And I enjoyed just about every minute. Up there with Chrono Trigger / FFVI / Shadow Hearts Covenant / Xenoblade Chronicles in my top 5 RPGs.

Golnei

I wasn't a fan of some of the vocal tracks at all, but I feel the soundtrack as a whole was unfairly maligned in their name. It's not amazing; but it's pretty solid - I'd put it above Breath of the Wild's, for example.

Beat this last Sunday.

I can say I enjoyed it and a lot of the systems they had in place. Though there was way too much going on under the hood of the combat and stats. Augments were key to my enjoyment of the game finally and after -coughsaveediting- them into my characters my interest spiked exponentially for playing.

Would love to see a remastered/reworked version of this game with a bit more balance to the grind and less "random" for pickup items. Great world and game to explore but after beating it I think I'm done and will be moving on. Good game that left me wanting more in the good and bad ways lol.

Got Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE as my next Wii U title along with Pokken... though might turn this on again to unlock some of those post game super weapons and skells to see what all the fuss is about for a few hours.

So I'm over 707 hours in Xenoblade Chronicles X at the moment

I'm one mission away from having a 100% survey rate but I'm not sure what mission I have to do.

The spot is in Sylvalum by the north side where it switches into Cauldros.

Anyone have any idea which one that is?

Top Bottom