• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X - Twitter & Website updates thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

random25

From the gist of the translate, looks like Kojima is saying how much work was put up to make an avatar with 20 different voice choices possible in this game.

L~A

I think they went a taaaaad overboard with the VA, ha ha. Going to be quite costly for the localisation.

Overside

Banned
So.... how much is all this vo going to add to localization time?

Cause I could totally download a vo pack later and just have subtitles. Hell, I could just have text. Played games for decades that way. It was good.

Give it to me.

Golnei

I think they went a taaaaad overboard with the VA, ha ha. Going to be quite costly for the localisation.

Not necessarily - maybe they'll choose to replace all 20 with Johnny Yong Bosch doing slightly different inflections.

Not necessarily - maybe they'll choose to replace all 20 with Johnny Yong Bosch doing slightly different inflections.
It feels weird to say, but JYB may feel like a nice change of pace nowadays. Haven't heard the guy in a while, because Troy Baker is the overused go-to token English voice actor these days. I feel like he keeps getting asked to do the same few voices over and over again too, much like Nolan North.

L~A

I guess that confirms our main character is mute outside of soul voice?

I think that was pretty obvious the moment they announced all those voices for the MC. No way they recorded story dialogue lines with like 20 different VA. Would've been completely insane.

My translations (running both tweets together):

[Kojima] Soul Voice, as thoroughly introduced during the Battle Presentation, will allow for lively battles, expanding on Xenoblade. It was hard work coming up with character-specific dialogue for the 20 avatar voices + the set sub-characters, in addition to the audio recording of all of it which was also an effort. ...Yes, the Soul Voice dialogue will vary depending on the personality of your avatar.

L~A

[Kojima] Soul Voice, as thoroughly introduced during the Battle Presentation, will allow for lively battles, expanding on Xenoblade. It was hard work coming up with character-specific dialogue for the 20 avatar voices + the the set sub-characters, in addition to the audio recording of all of it which was also an effort. ...Yes, the Soul Voice dialogue will vary depending on the personality of your avatar.

Thanks, added to the OP :)

Just realised that they haven't talked about the special feature regarding storage (you know, the thing Kojima recommended users to use on their console).

Gambit

My translations (running both tweets together):

It's still disappointing that the Avatar will most likely be mute outside of battle. However, I am very impressed that they change his soul voice expressions based on the personality type you choose!

I wonder if they will cut some of those choices for the localisation. 20 choices seems really excessive.

FryHole

It's still disappointing that the Avatar will most likely be mute outside of battle. However, I am very impressed that they change his soul voice expressions based on the personality type you choose!

I wonder if they will cut some of those choices for the localisation. 20 choices seems really excessive.

Provided the game works this way - and I believe the information we've had so far suggests it does - my plan is to make some muscle-bound lunk for an avatar who actually fits in a group as a strong, silent type, and then use Elma as the player under my direct control.

EDIT: in fact, I'm basically going to recreate Reyn.

Provided the game works this way - and I believe the information we've had so far suggests it does - my plan is to make some muscle-bound lunk for an avatar who actually fits in a group as a strong, silent type, and then use Elma as the player under my direct control.

Thats actually not a bad idea. I like the idea of Elma as protagonist so might do something similar for my first playtrough.

the mods are right to allow the negative comments made about any game
but damn when you guys focus on replying to just one comment it sure is funny no wonder trolling still works

20 soul voices, that's quite a lot to localize. Probably they will cut out some just like FE:A.

so no Tsundere for us :(

Gambit

Sounds like a pretty good idea. That's the approach I used in FFXII as well. My protagonist was Ashe. The only times Vaan appeared was when he was sent into the cities as her vassal.

Overside

Banned
the mods are right to allow the negative comments made about any game
but damn when you guys focus on replying to just one comment it sure is funny no wonder trolling still works

so no Tsundere for us :(

I dont really think honestly making a comment about an experience, that happened to be the wrong game with practically the same exact name is the same as trolling.

I mean, I think a LOT of the 3ds ports negative reactions are over blown fictional bluster, (a lot of people remember the original WAYYYY better looking than it was) but the result of dropping the resolution to 240x800 really isnt in that category, especially when put on that god awful 92? ppi new 3dsxl screen.

I dont really think honestly making a comment about an experience, that happened to be the wrong game with practically the same exact name is the same as trolling.

I mean, I think a LOT of the 3ds ports negative reactions are over blown fictional bluster, (a lot of people remember the original WAYYYY better looking than it was) but the result of dropping the resolution to 240x800 really isnt in that category, especially when put on that god awful 92? ppi new 3dsxl screen.

well I still resent that Xenoblade did not get the same love as Wind Waker HD
I think the scale of that game plays too much a heavy role in the story to be locked to that small ass screen a Wii U port at the same time would have ended these comments

this comment we are talking about seems like a hit and run when the poster did not take the time to even check if they had the right game and thread

we are not even talking about the PAX showing of the n3DS game which proves how little that port is helping to boost hype for XCX

in fact a poor showing for the IP on n3DS does more harm to this game

Gambit

I think the scale of that game plays too much a heavy role in the story to be locked to that small ass screen a Wii U port at the same time would have ended these comments

I have to agree. Even though I am a big fan of portable RPGs, I think it's a shame Xenoblade didn't get a HD version instead. The game was screaming for more powerful hardware, not for portability.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I agree aswell, I just can't imagine the game really being appreciated on a handheld, what's even weirder is it is on a different platform than it'd spiritual sequel, that doesn't help to promote X too much, I can't help but think they put it on a handheld because of Japan just playing any game on a handheld.l over console.

Sounds like a pretty good idea. That's the approach I used in FFXII as well. My protagonist was Ashe. The only times Vaan appeared was when he was sent into the cities as her vassal.

Eh. One of the reasons that I couldn't enjoy 12 as much as I wanted to was because of stuff like that. Sure I could headcanon anyone into the protagonist, but it wasn't who really what the game was built on so nope. This is/has been my biggest worry with this game. That in order to let people customize the main character they have removed them from the story/other character interactions.

moolamb

I think that was pretty obvious the moment they announced all those voices for the MC. No way they recorded story dialogue lines with like 20 different VA. Would've been completely insane.

There's been some pretty completely insane reveals though... But yes, now is the time to be a realist to avoid disappointment.

Overside

Banned

this comment we are talking about seems like a hit and run when the poster did not take the time to even check if they had the right game and thread

we are not even talking about the PAX showing of the n3DS game which proves how little that port is helping to boost hype for XCX

in fact a poor showing for the IP on n3DS does more harm to this game

Well no, this isnt the pax thread, or about the 3ds game, of alsmost the exactly same name. BUt he clearly didnt know that, in fact theres probably a pretty good chance he doesnt even know about the game whos thread he just posted in.

Im just saying that doesnt strike me as a troll. People with a bias who dont care to challenge can be hit and run, but those arent really trolls. Trolls are more squat and crap, then pick it up and start hucking it at everyone else. Trolls are.... Persistent.

Personally Im super glad they decided on 3ds rather than an hd release. Ive thought a 3d xenoblade would be super cool ever since I saw those 3d screens of Xenoblade and other wii games on the 3ds web browser. Now the impossible dream has come true.

Well no, this isnt the pax thread, or about the 3ds game, of alsmost the exactly same name. BUt he clearly didnt know that, in fact theres probably a pretty good chance he doesnt even know about the game whos thread he just posted in.

Im just saying that doesnt strike me as a troll. People with a bias who dont care to challenge can be hit and run, but those arent really trolls. Trolls are more squat and crap, then pick it up and start hucking it at everyone else. Trolls are.... Persistent.

Personally Im super glad they decided on 3ds rather than an hd release. Ive thought a 3d xenoblade would be super cool ever since I saw those 3d screens of Xenoblade and other wii games on the 3ds web browser. Now the impossible dream has come true.

I should clear up that I was not calling his post a troll I said the replies to a negative post is why trolling still works at least that was the line I was thinking when I was writing but the fact he did not stay long enough to see this was the wrong thread shows a lack of care for the Xenoblade he saw at Pax which I don't think is a beauty as I said I still want a Wii U port of that game

I cannot see 3D so I am not going to argue on how cool Xenoblade in 3D is you may have a good point there if I could see it myself

X is not going to be the Wii U's best looking game IMO so I think it is fair if people say

FryHole

I should clear up that I was not calling his post a troll I said the replies to a negative post is why trolling still works at least that was the line I was thinking when I was writing but the fact he did not stay long enough to see this was the wrong thread shows a lack of care for the Xenoblade he saw at Pax which I don't think is a beauty as I said I still want a Wii U port of that game

I cannot see 3D so I am not going to argue on how cool Xenoblade in 3D is you may have a good point there if I could see it myself

X is not going to be the Wii U's best looking game IMO so I think it is fair if people say

It's not even that we replied to a negative post, or any kind of trolling - the simple truth is that neither hell nor high water will stop people correcting someone who is clearly Wrong On The Internet.

Overside

Banned

Ah, I can dig that.

D: I have an old buddy who cant see 3d.

Well, there is a considerable amount of time left in the consoles life cycle, but I dont think any game coming from anywhere else is going to be matching or exceeding X while mantaining the same resource overhead of a seamless open world of comparable size, Im not much one for comparing visuals of games with vastly different resource overheads.

It's not even that we replied to a negative post, or any kind of trolling - the simple truth is that neither hell nor high water will stop people correcting someone who is clearly Wrong On The Internet.

Ah, I can dig that.

D: I have an old buddy who cant see 3d.

Well, there is a considerable amount of time left in the consoles life cycle, but I dont think any game coming from anywhere else is going to be matching or exceeding X while mantaining the same resource overhead of a seamless open world of comparable size, Im not much one for comparing visuals of games with vastly different resource overheads.

Xenoblade is by far my favorite RPG or game not really mad that the 3DS got a port wish I could see 3D I would care more X is not the same world that world with 2 giants people lived on like fleas is amazing to me maybe 3D works just as well as big screen scale

I have hopes that X will be a better game but what I played on my Wii will always be special
if I played the 3DS one I feel I'll hate it

calling X ugly will get popular even though the early showing of it with that one Doll gif got a lot of people excited about WiiU's power

I think for the scale the game looks great so I would disagree with those people hating on the visuals but they should be able to post it I'll ignore them though lol

Dolls will make this game the Robotech world I always wanted but never got if only they were jet fighters too

moolamb

Here's hoping they don't delay the game by months because of the massive localisation challenge...

Personally I'd be pretty happy if they just threw on subs and called it a day, and we got the game by June. But yeah I know that won't fly with the Western market :)

Here's hoping they don't delay the game by months because of the massive localisation challenge...

Personally I'd be pretty happy if they just threw on subs and called it a day, and we got the game by June. But yeah I know that won't fly with the Western market :)

I think most RPG fans would prefer sub over dub.

Overside

Banned

Generally yeah. Particularly if it slashes localization time so they can just give it to me already. Id even take just text. (I feel like Ive said this already... Hmm...)

Although I must admit I was rather very surprisingly pleased with Xenoblade using the Euro vo. I wouldnt mind getting that more often.

As a general rule? Nope. If the dub is particularly bad then I switch it but if I just played it as a standard I would have missed out on stuff like the superior Xenoblade dub.

As for the reason of getting the game faster, nope. As long as we are getting it I'm fine waiting.

anime fans maybe but they better get this game right I would also be happier with nothing cut out from what is in the JP version

You seem to be implying only 'silly weaboos' prefer jap. dub over eng. dub. Thats quite silly in its own right... I'm probably in the minority but I hated Xenoblade's dub. I cringed everytime Shulk opened his mouth. Best case scenario we get a dub and original track through DLC. Everybody wins.

Qwyjibo

I'm good with dubbed. Any video games or animated films, I'm perfectly fine with dubbed versions, assuming it maintains the same script. Obviously you still have to have good voice acting in the end regardless of the language. It's not like a live action film where the voice will clearly not match what you see on the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom