• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

Hiltz

As much as I love Skyward Sword, Xenoblade feels like it is a more fitting game to serve as the Wii's last big first-party effort... despite the two year delayed release for North America and not being a motion-control based title. To me, the game was just more consistent with impressing and surprising the player with its breathtaking environments set in a cohesive world, rewarding exploration, memorable music, and epic story. The gameplay suffers from repetition due to the reliance on the effectiveness of the topple system, but it remains addictive nonetheless.

Oxx

Have fun, North America.

I might be going crazy, but starting a New Game+ and playing along is a tempting idea. I just finished The Last Story, so the timing is good.

Victrix

*beard*
This is the best JRPG in recent memory

Buy this game. If you do not, you are doing yourself and jrpgs a disservice if you ever loved a classic

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
God damn. Going from Mass Effect 3 to Tales of Graces f to Xenoblade, so many timesinks. I haven't even seen more than 5 seconds of this game in action so I basically no nothing about it, hope it lives up to how highly people speak of it.

Jswanko

So, regular classic controller is still preferable to wii-remote right? Don't feel like getting the pro if I already have the regular

TDLink

So, regular classic controller is still preferable to wii-remote right? Don't feel like getting the pro if I already have the regular

Yes. The only thing you'll really have a more difficult time with compared to the pro are the secondary shoulder buttons which just control party movement commands and camera zoom options.

olimpia84

I have this preordered at Gamestop but I don't know if I'll play it right away. Still have to finish some 3DS games and level all the way up in Battlefield 3.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
CC versus remote isn't a cut and dry situation, both are good for different things.

CC is better for camera control while Remote is easier to pick attacks in battle.

Zebra

So what is the likelihood of this being available to purchase through nintendo after the release date?

Are they only selling preorders or do you think I'll be able to still purchase one in a few weeks?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I've had my preorder paid in full at a (mildly far) Gamestop for several weeks now. I think I did it when they announced the artbook.

Anyway, I'm currently working my way through a bunch of fairly long games - Ass.Creed.Rev, Yakuza 4, amongst others.

When I pick up Xenoblade, I imagine I'll play for a couple hours before shelving it for quite some time. That is, unless it can somehow magically pull me in in the first 90 minutes or so. Problem is, I highly doubt that, as every.single.JRPG that I've ever played has been very slow to get exciting, IMO, outside of Final Fantasy IX.

So, for those of you who played it; about how much time do I need to put into it before the story really gets going, and the boring tutorial sessions are done?

I've been glancing at this on the store shelves for a while (EU). A couple of questions for those who have played it:

How hectic does the combat get? I like my RPG battle systems either relaxed and turn-based, or full 1st/3rd-person action; I generally dislike pseudo-realtime combat and hate the old FF ATB style. Juggling the skills of several characters doesn't sound like fun. Looks like the encounters aren't random, so that's a plus.

How's the immersion? Any depth to the characters? I'm no stranger to JRPG goofiness but I'd appreciate a bit of... mature storytelling, for lack of a better word.

Gambit

Glad it's finally Reyn-time for America. Once you start playing, you'll go on and on and on.

I am strangely tempted to start a new-game plus to play along with everyone again.

Or I'll just live vicariously off the posts in here.

EDIT:

Great OP, but I would have preferred "Operation Reynfall", simply because the current title makes me hear Pit's voice. Love how "clean" the OP is.

Go_Ly_Dow

USE COMPONENT CABLES!!-- fairly obvious by now. Game looks a lot smoother.

Would kill to experience this from scratch again. Such a stunning game.

Think I'm going to boot my copy up again and do some more endgame content!

Almond

I've had my preorder paid in full at a (mildly far) Gamestop for several weeks now. I think I did it when they announced the artbook.

Anyway, I'm currently working my way through a bunch of fairly long games - Ass.Creed.Rev, Yakuza 4, amongst others.

When I pick up Xenoblade, I imagine I'll play for a couple hours before shelving it for quite some time. That is, unless it can somehow magically pull me in in the first 90 minutes or so. Problem is, I highly doubt that, as every.single.JRPG that I've ever played has been very slow to get exciting, IMO, outside of Final Fantasy IX.

So, for those of you who played it; about how much time do I need to put into it before the story really gets going, and the boring tutorial sessions are done?

The story actually kicks off with a bang about an hour in and keeps a pretty good pace up to the halfway point, then a bit of a lull, a huge story chunk and making your way to the end. I'd say there will always be something having you think "Who is that?" or "Why did that happen?" in a good way. The tutorials flow along with the story very nicely.

I've been glancing at this on the store shelves for a while (EU). A couple of questions for those who have played it:

How hectic does the combat get? I like my RPG battle systems either relaxed and turn-based, or full 1st/3rd-person action; I generally dislike pseudo-realtime combat and hate the old FF ATB style. Juggling the skills of several characters doesn't sound like fun. Looks like the encounters aren't random, so that's a plus.

How's the immersion? Any depth to the characters? I'm no stranger to JRPG goofiness but I'd appreciate a bit of... mature storytelling, for lack of a better word.

You only control one character during battle, so it's not too hectic. I found it a bit confusing at first, but by the halfway point you should have the hang of it.

The maps are HUGE and each area is very unique and feels alive. NPC's have schedules and will move about during the day, certain monsters only come out at night and all enemies are on screen. Higher level enemies automatically attack you while lower level ones leave you alone, unless you attack first.

The majority of the characters aren't "original" but they are well done. Everyone acts maturely and they aren't whiny or complete idiots. Everyone is pretty likable.

Even this guy!

Riki.png

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Does any game have as many OTs as this one?

Can't wait to play. It's one of the like... 4 games I plan on day 1ing this year.

LPC

Banned
Have fun guys! I finished it last year (European version), and this game was a blast! I have so much loooove for this game, can't wait for the new Monolith game

Teknoman

USE COMPONENT CABLES!!-- fairly obvious by now. Game looks a lot smoother.

Would kill to experience this from scratch again. Such a stunning game.

Think I'm going to boot my copy up again and do some more endgame content!

Not just component cables but progressive scan as well (there are still people that forget to do this, but i'm sure none are on GAF right?).

Apenheul

Thanks to Zornica's guide in the OP I might start a 2nd playthrough now that I know how to play as Melia. There are also a lot of things I didn't get to do the first time around, after finishing like at least 200 side quests I just pushed forward until I crossed the point of no return at the endgame.

Sadist

Oh Americans, it's going to be one hell of a ride.

It's Reyntime and Heropon Riki will save the day!

So, JP or EU voices are both fine, right? I'm trying to decide which to go with. I really want dat Wakamoto.
I think everyone was really surprised about the quality of the English dub. Also, Jenna Louise Coleman <3

Apenheul

So, JP or EU voices are both fine, right? I'm trying to decide which to go with. I really want dat Wakamoto.

I started playing with Japanese VA because that's what I usually do, however reactions to the British VA in the EU thread were so positive that I tried it and never went back to Japanese. The benefit of the British VA is that you hear relevant combat information that you might miss otherwise, NPCs shout out the actions they're going to do. Just try both and see what works for you :)

Higher level enemies automatically attack you while lower level ones leave you alone, unless you attack first.

This isn't true, the enemies attack under certain conditions as dictated by little symbols next to their health bar, for example some will attack if you enter their range of sight, others will attack if they hear you and others attack if you use magic near them. Many of them won't attack at all unless you do first, for example in the snowy mountain area you can run circles around the lvl 80+ horse guys and they wont do shit. And I'm not sure but I think enemies a few levels under you will try and avoid you.

Instro

This isn't true, the enemies attack under certain conditions as dictated by little symbols next to their health bar, for example some will attack if you enter their range of sight, others will attack if they hear you and others attack if you use magic near them. Many of them won't attack at all unless you do first, for example in the snowy mountain area you can run circles around the lvl 80+ horse guys and they wont do shit. And I'm not sure but I think enemies a few levels under you will try and avoid you.

Once the enemies are a certain number of levels below you they will ignore you unless you attack them. Unless they are unique monsters, in which case they will still attack if you.

guys, Mother 3 is the best game ever made... everyone knows that.

Xenoblade is still a hell of a game that everyone has to play. I wonder... does anyone know if my PAL save file would work on the NA version of game?

You only control one character during battle, so it's not too hectic. I found it a bit confusing at first, but by the halfway point you should have the hang of it.

The maps are HUGE and each area is very unique and feels alive. NPC's have schedules and will move about during the day, certain monsters only come out at night and all enemies are on screen. Higher level enemies automatically attack you while lower level ones leave you alone, unless you attack first.

The majority of the characters aren't "original" but they are well done. Everyone acts maturely and they aren't whiny or complete idiots. Everyone is pretty likable.

Sounds good, thanks. I guess I'll have to put this in front of my RPGs-that-would-be-nice queue, to be scheduled in a time slot in the... uh, hopefully near future.

Alrus

This game is amazing for me, the world and music are just so beautiful, I felt in love very quickly. The amount of content is staggering, it sometimes get a bit overwhelming, but the sidequests build the world nicely (do not skip dialogs) even though they're very basic most of the time.

My main issue is the lack of pointers as to where certain objectives and npcs are. The maps are really big and it's sometime very annoying to find a certain monster/NPC (for the latter it's especially aggravating when the towns get really big). But outside of the that, it's pretty much the best jrpg I played this gen.

how does this one hold up plot/character wise?

I found the characters to be okay for a jrpg, they're not too annoying and aren't completely stupid most of the time (there are some exceptions).

Plot is a bit cliché and predictable (the game foreshadows one of the twist very early on if you talk to the right npcs) but it's not bad at all.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Just for some 'it's doing well' numbers, my Gamestop had 14 reserves(we're not a huge store) last week. We didn't get enough copies shipped, but they've shipped us more since then. I have no idea how many art books they're shipping though because Nintendo's already allocated all of those.

If you're someone who cares about that, I'd get in early. Of course, it could be a totally different situation in your area. Ours had a lot more reserves than expected, but I think the others have been about normal. Nintendo's usually been good about supplying the bonuses (Still got Tanooki keychains hanging around)

Almond

I know. I wasn't trying to go into to much detail. I was just trying to give a quick, simple idea of how things work. They'll figure out all these things once they play it.

Nice OT Mob. <3

thank you
VaU8o.gif

Another bit of advice:

READ

THE

TUTORIALS

They are extremely well done and informative.

Oh god this.

and you will save yourself alot of walking

This. Remember that you got quick travel. Access the map or press '1' if you just want to be in the current area.

THIS ADVICE CANNOT BE EMPHASIZED ENOUGH.

mclem

Fun experiment for Americans: See if *you* can figure out which of the voice actors is often known as "Voiceover Man" in the UK!

Top Bottom