• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

Oh I know that one is kickass as well, but somethin about "Field" just struck this 90s nostalgic Squaresoft-y/Sega chord in me when I heard it..

muu

ACE did a wonderful job with the music. I was a bit bummed before playing that Yasunori Mitsuda was only partially involved (him being one of the few vg composers I actually buy CDs of), but I completely forgot about that once I started playing.

I'd be surprised if the music and scenery coming into
Gaur plains
doesn't blow people away.

Ultratech

You can't go wrong with this game. Words of warning: you have to reign in your "must collect everything, must have 100% completion", because the collectathon will drive people insane due to ridiculously punishing and random drop rate. One must realize collection quests here are entirely optional and you really don't need to complete every quest and collect every object for best ending or something like that.

This. You WILL get burnt out on doing sidequests should you choose to go that route. The game does have nearly 500 quests...and much of the better side stuff requires stuff that has pretty shitty drop/appearance rates in general.

I disagree. It's a very good track but I think "Field of the Machinae" is better.

Yep, one of my favorite tracks from the game.
There's another one I like which is technically the last battle theme of the game, but you only get to hear it like 2-3 times, since it only plays just right before the final boss fight.
(I'll just use the JP version of the track name: "Into the World of Xanthe".)

TheExodu5

Banned
Has anyone run this on the Dolphin Emulator? If so, i'd be quite interested in your experience.

I haven't played a great new JRPG since Lost Odyssey and if I can play this in HD I will be super excited.

..I preordered it already anyways.

Takes a pretty good CPU to run it, but it looks great:

leg_night.png

'Confrontation with the Enemy' gets me emotional and makes me want to shout RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! and slice/shoot at things too.

Jarlaxle

Preordered in full! I'll just have to wait a little while to play it. I just started Dark Souls this week after having just completed LoZ: Syward Sword so that will probably keep my busy through April.

Preordered in full! I'll just have to wait a little while to play it. I just started Dark Souls this week after having just completed LoZ: Syward Sword so that will probably keep my busy through April.

My top 3 games of 2011 haha. What a glorious run of games to be on!

TheExodu5

Banned
What would I need to play it smoothly(RAM, CPU, GPU)? I am also thinking about useing dolphin

I'd say a Sandy Bridge CPU, preferably overclocked (though it will run okay at stock). As for GPU, anything better than an 8800GT...if you want it looking as good as I do in that screenshot, you'll need at least a GTX 460 or 6850.

Ready to triple dip; I was just about to go through
the mines before going into Colony 9 after you get Sharla
before I stopped playing the EU version, so I still have the bulk of the game to go. Each version I buy I get farther each time!

Jubern

Darn. Even though I knew better I still held the tiniest inkling of hope that it would be "The Secret File".

Does anyone know if the copies of that book that were given to the first 1,000 people to register Xenoblade in France were translated? Or were they just the untouched Japanese version? (if it was translated that's really unfair :( )

In any case, this'll be the first time I can think of where I've double-dipped on a game at full price both times.

I have it and it is entirely translated in French, yes. Except for a specific part, I think it was the Heart-to-heart's script. For some reason it uses the English script verbatim IIRC.

Otherwise, pretty well done translation, and fascinating read. It's neither a pure artbook nor a Perfect Works (like XG), more of a mix between the two. Lots of nice art (some is fanmade and nice), cool interviews with Takahashi and co (which was done several done after the Japanese release, so they talk about the reception of the game)...

I feel incredibly lucky that we got it in France, and even more for actually owning it. I was actually in Japan when the game released in France so I had to harass my brother to go and get it as soon as he could^^'

Incredible game anyway, have fun with it my American friends :')

MechaX

I already imported this last year, but you guys better buy this. I know saying that its the JRPG of the Generation isn't really saying a whole lot, but if you like the genre, you owe it to yourself to play this.

Firemind

Satorl Marsh is weird.

Dull and ugly during the day, magical at night.

Disclaimer: everything at night can and will rape you.

Also, avoid the optional unique lizard champions there. Don't be a smartass and think you can beat them at the same level, because you can't.

Also also, on Gaur Plains, the first thing you should do is follow the northern wall all the way to the right until you see a small, long path leading to a supposed dead end. Trust me on dis.

Rootbeer

Banned
If you modded your Wii so you can import and play the European version on it (there was a guide on Kotaku to do this), can you buy the USA version and continue your save? Thinking of giving my old wii to a friend but I want to continue my game!!

Tunic

Excellent OT, thank you! I have the game preordered in full at Gamestop and next Friday cannot come soon enough. I have been wanting to play this game for ages now and glad it is finally coming to us in NA!

So GAF, this is finally a good
J
RPG?

Large overworld, good battle system, beautiful art style, wonderful music and no cliched anime themes in sight?(minus the art style)

Because just about every RPG I've played this gen has been disappointing. Except Eternal Sonata. Which was really good imo.

Nice OT Moblin. Looking forward to picking this up next week and playing through it again. By far my favorite game of this generation. I'm sad there really isn't any merch for Xenoblade, I would love some figures or statues.

Dead

well not really...yet
J
RPG?

Large overworld, good battle system, beautiful art style, wonderful music and no cliched anime themes in sight?(minus the art style)

Because just about every RPG I've played this gen has been disappointing. Except Eternal Sonata. Which was really good imo.
Its the best JRPG since the PSone era, you're in for a treat.

eshwaaz

I feel like a complete idiot, but I cannot figure out how to check my order status on Nintendo's website. I ordered a few months back and just want to do a gut-check, but I don't even see any way to login after I go to "check order status." Am I missing something totally obvious?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The game is REALLY overhyped here at GAF. It's nowhere near the best RPG ever. I wouldn't even put it in my top 20.
I really hope people aren't in hype overload mode at the moment, tbh. It's a good game, but it still has its share of issues. And I feel the same way. Good game, but I wouldn't put it in my top 20 either. Though this is my opinion, of course.

The game looks absolutely gorgeous though. I love the art direction so damn much. Use component cables!!

Also, I echo the people saying don't do all of the sidequests in one go because you WILL get burned out on them if you do that.

Teknoman

I feel like a complete idiot, but I cannot figure out how to check my order status on Nintendo's website. I ordered a few months back and just want to do a gut-check, but I don't even see any way to login after I go to "check order status." Am I missing something totally obvious?

Nintendo's order site isnt that friendly. You have to have kept your old email with the order number in the subject line. I ended up ordering twice (I think) since I ordered once the instance preorders went up...somehow deleted the email months later, and then decided to put another order in late February just to be safe. I have no idea if they'll send me two eventually or just cancel one order since it was supposed to be one per address.

All else fails, i'll just put in a late preorder at Gamestop.

I really hope people aren't in hype overload mode at the moment, tbh. It's a good game, but it still has its share of issues. And I feel the same way. Good game, but I wouldn't put it in my top 20 either. Though this is my opinion, of course.

The game looks absolutely gorgeous though. I love the art direction so damn much. Use component cables!!

Also, I echo the people saying don't do all of the sidequests in one go because you WILL get burned out on them if you do that.

Component cables aside, the game is Progressive Scan compatible right? I know there are still some Wii games that arent for some reason. Surprised that there would still be people on GAF that dont have any of their systems connected the best way possible (if they have the means to).

Darryl

Banned

you have to go here and put in your zip code and order #.

under my status, it says backordered. can anyone who pre-ordered their copy a long time ago confirm what it says for them? might change order location if it means waiting a month

bubnbob

Banned
J
RPG?

o_O o_O o_o o_O o_o o_O wat

Component cables aside, the game is Progressive Scan compatible right? I know there are still some Wii games that arent for some reason. Surprised that there would still be people on GAF that dont have any of their systems connected the best way possible (if they have the means to).

Yes. And it's nice.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yep!

It looks really good. I usually let the game sit on the title screen to look at it for a while.

Edit: beaten.

Hmmm only 9 hours in... but I find combat to be pretty dull and not much variety.

Pretty much if I die against a bonus boss or some large encounter... I'm never sure what I did wrong, and usually die if I try again unless I'm pretty lucky (keep getting killed in some side quest near area 6 where you get ambushed by bats ;/).

vid

My knowledge about this game consists of:

1. EVERYONE WANTS THIS.
2. What the OP has told me.

...and yet, I think I'm going to pre-order this today, and officially double my Wii collection.

Ricker

you have to go here and put in your zip code and order #.

under my status, it says backordered. can anyone who pre-ordered their copy a long time ago confirm what it says for them? might change order location if it means waiting a month

Yep,same for me,no tracking number so far and it says Backordered for now...it also says on my original e-mail that they will begin shipping at the end of April,since I ordered in December though,a true release date was not confirmed yet so hopefully they start shipping next week.

Teknoman

Trance, you need to play more handheld titles. Also snag Ys Oath in Felghana for PC if you can (if not, PSP).

My knowledge about this game consists of:

1. EVERYONE WANTS THIS.
2. What the OP has told me.

...and yet, I think I'm going to pre-order this today, and officially double my Wii collection.

You should buy Sin and Punishment along with Monster Hunter. Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon is pretty good too.

I didn't see this in the op so forgive me if I overlooked it but my Wii apparantly won't read any dual layered discs as of today. I've tried to clean it with the cleaning kit and that always used to work but not it seems like it is not.

Even tho my Smash Brawl save file would basicly be gone, I don't wanna send my Wii to Nintendo (which I think costs $75, I don't really have that money now...lol) or buy a new Wii so does anyone know if Xenoblade is Dual Layered or not?

I tried googling and it seems like the Japanese version is single layered while the Europe version is dual layered since it has both langueges? Well what about The American version? Does anyone know if its dual layered aswell or will we not know until someone gets it?

I don't wanna buy the game and not be able to play it until the Wii U comes out...especially since money is tight right now. If it is dual layered I hope Gamestop keeps selling the game until the holidays because I don't wanna buy it and not be able to play it...

Luigi87

Bit more on this front, they just DM'd me that they will begin shipping the games out on April 4th, although it seems there will be higher priority for non-free shipment options.

... Now I've less time to finish Graces f before Xenoblade @_@

Was kind of shocked to receive said email from EB Games Canada. Less than a week here we go.

Top Bottom