• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

vid

You should buy Sin and Punishment along with Monster Hunter. Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon is pretty good too.

I've played and love Sin and Punishment and am already planning on picking up a copy fairly soon. The small library isn't from a lack of games that I want, I just haven't been able to invest in a Wii library until fairly recently, especially since I don't actually own my own console yet.

frequency

The game is REALLY overhyped here at GAF. It's nowhere near the best RPG ever. I wouldn't even put it in my top 20.

I agree.
I think a lot of the people doing the hyping are also the people who would say there hasn't been any good JRPGs in a very long time.

People here have bought into the hype even though they don't like RPGs. I'm interested in seeing general opinion when people actually get far into it after months and months of GAF declaring this the best JRPG ever in like every category.

But eh... I guess I support the hype. If nothing else, it'll help sales and that can help to tell Nintendo that the west still wants JRPGs.

That you would place Eternal Sonata atop the many games released this generation.

Was it the uncomfortable and unnecessary death talk at the end? Was it the oddly out of place worm story?

There was a story? I just liked the battle system, large pool of characters, magic, attacks and the beautiful visuals and music!

Dr.Hadji

So GAF, this is finally a good
J
RPG?

Large overworld, good battle system, beautiful art style, wonderful music and no cliched anime themes in sight?(minus the art style)

Because just about every RPG I've played this gen has been disappointing. Except Eternal Sonata. Which was really good imo.

Pft. What? Its certainly got that. Lots of it, all over the place. But I don't have a problem with anime so.........

massoluk

Banned
Pft. What? Its certainly got that. Lots of it, all over the place. But I don't have a problem with anime so.........

I agree, this game is just filled with over the top battle anime cliches. But I loved the genre, so it falls right into my alley. I ended up wishing Shulk and friends get their own mecha ala Xenogears at one point, but it's great as is. 8)

Pyrrhus

that would mean it's better than Chrono Trigger, which is bar none my favorite game of all time -- so are you saying that my new favorite game of all time comes out in a week?

It's not better than Chrono Trigger. But it's arguably the best JRPG since the PS2 era. Its main problem is that it's overlong. The story hits a natural climax and then they expect you to keep playing and dinking around with sidequests and going through extra areas for another seven or eight hours.

Instro

Well, any cliches in the narrative don't really have anything to do with anime per say. There's a number of typical rpg story elements in there, but that doesn't mean its not well put together. To me its a pretty straightforward revenge arc for a large part of the game that becomes more as the story progresses. There's nothing in there that stands out as poorly written, but its not particularly unique either, outside of the world that it builds and some of the plot twists.

Teknoman

Please tell me "You will know our names" is the default boss battle theme.

It's not better than Chrono Trigger. But it's arguably the best JRPG since the PS2 era. Its main problem is that it's overlong. The story hits a natural climax and then they expect you to keep playing and dinking around with sidequests and going through extra areas for another seven or eight hours.

Sounds like FFXII to me. I completely lost the point of the story because I was inundated with clan mark hunts among other things.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The main boss theme is "One Who Gets in Our Way." But there are several other songs that play during boss fights during story sequences.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone run this on the Dolphin Emulator? If so, i'd be quite interested in your experience.

Yessir, my 130 some odd hours with my import copy were on Dolphin.

It is very taxing on the system, but my machine was good enough to play it at all full speed. The only real flaw is that audio can potentially glitch out and turn really ugly sounding. It tends to happen most when a whole lot of stuff is going on or when the same song has been playing for a long time without interruption. The fix for if/when it happens is usually simply to change the song that's playing, either by entering battle, initiating a cutscene, changing the time of day, or warping to another zone. There is also an audio option that I'm told works perfectly, but you need to have an absolute beast of a machine to do it. My now two year old i7 rig couldn't handle it.

Other than that, though, it is GLORIOUS on Dolphin. It looks amazing and sharp, and the Xbox 360 controller is the best possible control scheme for the game, since it fixes the CC Pro's only real shortcoming by switching the positions of the D-pad and left stick, thus making it a lot easier to move and select battle commands without having to resort to the dreaded claw.

massoluk

Banned
However, they treated "Confrontation with the Enemy" as default musics for every cutscene with major development/plot twist/end of a story arc. When you hear it, you know shits is about to get real.

I agree.

People here have bought into the hype even though they don't like RPGs. I'm interested in seeing general opinion when people actually get far into it after months and months of GAF declaring this the best JRPG ever in like every category.

I don't really like jRPG's (the only other two that I have played for any decent period of time are FFVII & CT), & I have really enjoyed what I have played of Xenoblade(My characters are around Lv 50), the way the game introduces the different elements without overwhelming the player(outside of the sheer amount of sidequests) makes it a good place to start with the genre , so I think they would be fine.

Pyrrhus

It really can't be said enough how spectacular the soundtrack is. It's got a really great voice track, too. Characters I would normally hate like the meat head Reyn and would-be mascot character Riki are actually pretty endearing in large part because the voice work is so likable.

Seik

Banned
However, they treated "Confrontation with the Enemy" as default musics for every cutscene with major development/plot twist/end of a story arc. When you hear it, you know shits is about to get real.

Yep, and it never gets old. This music is just so good, like all the soundtrack. Unfinished Battle is one of my favorites too, its a shame that you only can hear it once in the whole game. Tragic Decision is a masterpiece.

The only theme that got on my nerves was
Riki
's theme, but it grew on me. Now I end up whistling it each time I hear it on my Ipod. :p

Astra

I was on the fence about getting this, since I imported it last year, but the art book was some nice incentive to double dip. I'll probably just give the game to my sister for her birthday. Naturally I'm keeping the art book.

Pyrrhus

Field of the Machinae is straight outta Phantasy Star Online-awesomeness.

Honestly, I think the game has a pretty Phantasy Star vibe in general. A lot of the later weapons and armor would fit in with Phantasy Star no problem. And the story deals with similar sci-fi tropes.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I'd say a Sandy Bridge CPU, preferably overclocked (though it will run okay at stock). As for GPU, anything better than an 8800GT...if you want it looking as good as I do in that screenshot, you'll need at least a GTX 460 or 6850.

That CPU isn't really necessary unless you really need to run the LLE audio, which is far more intensive than the HLE audio. My machine is a pre-Sandy Bridge i7 running at stock, and it ran at 95-100% at all times, rendering at 3x internal resolution with 4x AA and 16x AF (AA and AF forced through the video card, not through Dolphin settings). I was willing to put up with the minor annoyance of occasionally having to change the time of day every now and then to fix the BGM when it decided to spaz out, though. YMMV

My machine is probably pretty close to the minimum needed to run well while still producing those kinds of results, though.

frequency

I don't really like jRPG's (the only other two that I have played for any decent period of time are FFVII & CT), & I have really enjoyed what I have played of Xenoblade(My characters are around Lv 50), the way the game introduces the different elements without overwhelming the player(outside of the sheer amount of sidequests) makes it a good place to start with the genre , so I think they would be fine.

That's good. Do you like RPGs in general?
I'm not particularly worried about how non-RPG people will take to this after the hype. I'm just interested in seeing whether this will still be perceived as the saviour of video games.

Note that I like the game a lot, but I don't agree with it being the best RPG ever with the best soundtrack ever and the best art ever, etc. People declaring it GOTY when we're just finishing March.

It's been a while since I've seen something so hyped up.

I'm glad if people enjoy it so much though. It would make me very happy if, by some miracle, this was one of the best selling JRPGs of the generation. EDIT: Not because I have stock or anything. But because it would be great if this influenced some future RPG development.

Dynedom

Wish I could play and beat this game for the first time all over again. So much good in one title.

I hope this team keeps making games and hopefully on more systems.

The colours on this picture are amazing. Is there a desktop sized version?

i7VfsWWJAZYKS.png

I uploaded the original for you: http://i.minus.com/ibcoXgqcfeGFbb.png

I'm not particularly worried about how non-RPG people will take to this after the hype. I'm just interested in seeing whether this will still be perceived as the saviour of video games.

Note that I like the game a lot, but I don't agree with it being the best RPG ever with the best soundtrack ever and the best art ever, etc. People declaring it GOTY when we're just finishing March.
Yeah, I think it's worthwhile to take a step back and put the hype in perspective. There are plenty of nitpicks here and there with the game; it's hardly "perfect", whatever that means. If folks go into this expecting some sort of mindblowing revelation and/or the saving grace for Japanese role-playing games, they're not going to be happy after 30 hours with the game.

The best advice I can give is for folks to accept the game's (and the system's) limitations, play it at their own pace, and try to get out of it whatever they can. It's a great game and it deserves a lot of love, but it's not above criticism.

joetachi

Another thing to remember is that you can main as any character and with the exeption of a few battles you can leave the main character out the party completely.

That's good. Do you like RPGs in general?

Not really(although I do enjoy sRPG's), but Oblivion is the only wRPG I have put any time into, so I'm probably not the best person to ask. I do disagree about the soundtrack however, it is pretty impressive (
the first time you arrive on the Bionis leg & you walk through the canyon & catch a glimpse of Gaur Plain & the music kicks in is one of my favourite memories in gaming
)

Soroc

I'm sure this has been discussed more than likely in the Dolphin thread but thought I'd put it here too for the newcomers to Xenoblade.

There is some modders that have made HD texture packs and redid the UI for whatever controller you are using while playing on Dolphin. Game already looked amazing these mods just make it super amazing!

HUGE SPOILERS IN THREAD BEWARE

http://forums.dolphin-emulator.com/showthread.php?tid=22102

Oh yeah if you're going to play on dolphin please remember to save the game regularly as Dolphin is unstable (at least for me) and given how Xenoblade gives you the opportunity to save anywhere outside of a few exceptions (for those I suppose there is savestates).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely spoilers in that link as soon as the page loads.

And I don't like the texture pack. The fonts are worse, and the official artwork doesn't work very well, especially for the high tension portraits.

Only part that looks better apart from resolution is that ground texture. Edit: on second though, even that doesn't really look better. It makes the draw distance limit more obvious and probably looks terrible when you see the full game.

Firemind

I would like to see the people not including this in their top 20 RPGs to post a list. It doesn't even have to be numbered.

You know, for judging purposes.

wrowa

I'm sure this has been discussed more than likely in the Dolphin thread but thought I'd put it here too for the newcomers to Xenoblade.

There is some modders that have made HD texture packs and redid the UI for whatever controller you are using while playing on Dolphin. Game already looked amazing these mods just make it super amazing!

http://forums.dolphin-emulator.com/showthread.php?tid=22102

PLEASE edit that post as soon as possible. You probably didn't pay attention, but not only is the HD reskin pretty awful, but there are also huge spoilers...

Just noticed on Metacritic that basically every site has given this game universal praise. However, there's one biggy missing: G4. I can easily see them giving this game a lower score just to be jerks. I can even imagine what they would say...which is the sad thing :(

I would like to see the people not including this in their top 20 RPGs to post a list. It doesn't even have to be numbered.

Famitsu contains the readers top fifty Nintendo games of all time

1. Super Mario Bros. NES
2. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time N64
3. Super Mario 64 N64
4. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past SNES
5. Mother 2 SNES
6. Xenoblade Wii

full list here

if it not they must not had played it yet

good to see US are getting hype you should be

Ultratech

Definitely spoilers in that link as soon as the page loads.

And I don't like the texture pack. The fonts are worse, and the official artwork doesn't work very well, especially for the high tension portraits.

Only part that looks better apart from resolution is that ground texture.

Indeed...major spoilers.

I really have to agree with most everything else you said, chaosblade. Those fonts are just...bad. And could they not up the resolution for the portraits instead using the official artwork? (It's not bad art, but it hardly belongs in-game.)

The other stuff does look fairly nice though.

Soroc

PLEASE edit that post as soon as possible. You probably didn't pay attention, but not only is the HD reskin pretty awful, but there are also huge spoilers...

Sorry about that, didn't look through that thread entirely. Marked as spoilers in original post. I think the HD reskin looks great personally though, especially the updated character models and 2d character portraits.

Yuterald

I imported this game and finished it over the summer. Put about 130 hours into it and loved every second of it. I think I'm going to double dip and pick up the NA version again this Friday out of my support of love for the game/genre/cause, whatever. I have been tempted to jump back into my PAL save file and continue questing/100%'ing the game, but now I'm not sure if I should just start fresh with my NA copy. Regardless, I have other stuff on my plate that I've purchased that I haven't completed yet so maybe I'll just hold off a bit.

I will also echo the fellow RPG enthusiasts here on GAF and say Xenoblade probably wouldn't make my top 20 either. I enjoyed the game immensely, but I wouldn't say it's the "end all, be all RPG". It's up there, for sure. Easily one of the best RPGs this generation, but that's not something to be ultra proud about considering the choices we have this gen.

Regardless, enjoy the game for those who have yet to experience its majesty. It's definitely worth getting excited about! =)

I've been playing this for a just a couple of days - some 20 hours already and I'm on the point of reaching
the elevator leading to Colony 16 area
- and I feel I am starting to enjoy it; it takes a while to get accustomed to the complexity of the game's controls and customization options - and the maps are so huge I got lost quite often, but once you get into it the game is addicting and it was difficult to have a break.

On a side note I must admit some models in the cutscenes are just awful, but it doesn't bother me as long as everything else is nice and they put much work to make the game packed with contents.

TEJ

I normally wait until a game is close to release before i preorder it. Put down 20 dollars today at gamestop, I should have the rest of the money next week.

Instro

I dunno, I could see that being accurate depending on the person. If someone has played a significant amount of rpg's since the NES years, it's not hard to think that XenoBlade wouldn't make the top 20. Are we just talking jrpgs, console only rpgs, etc?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Indeed...major spoilers.

I really have to agree with most everything else you said, chaosblade. Those fonts are just...bad. And could they not up the resolution for the portraits instead using the official artwork? (It's not bad art, but it hardly belongs in-game.)

The other stuff does look fairly nice though.

The only places that really NEED texture packs are those few places around the top of cliffs and "natural formation" bridges (especially in Makna Forest) where the texture is clearly stretched. Otherwise I thought the game looked pretty good for a Wii game, and great in Dolphin.

Top Bottom