• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| The Adventure Begins

Mashing

I've seen a few videos of this game in action, but those last two make it seem like a MMO. Obviously it's not, but it seems to draw HEAVILY on the genre. It's massive, but as one previous poster said it seems rather sparse. Hopefully that is not a problem in the later game (and to be fair it was dusk/nighttime).

ILikeFeet

Banned
Haunted said:
wow what trickery is this, why the hell are the gameplay vids looking so good all of a sudden?

because there wasn't a video long enough to show how huge and seamless the world is.

Haunted

Cep said:
They have looked pretty decent for a while now.
ILikeFeet said:
because there wasn't a video long enough to show how huge and seamless the world is.
I guess that's what I deserve for mentally checking this off after seeing underwhelming first videos and okay-ish screens!

Makes the wait that much harder, though. :(

wsippel

Banned
Boy, that looks fucking awesome. Exactly what I want from an RPG. And everything Monolith did so far was amazing (even Endless Frontier, and especially Disaster - not to mention Soma Bringer) - I don't expect Xenoblade to be any different. Those guys know what they're doing.

AceBandage said:
One more week until we hear about an NA release!
:D
I want to believe... :(

biocat said:
I can't wait to pick this up tomorrow!
The Famitsu coverage last week really got me excited.

Lucky D:

I hope the game really makes it here in 2010 like NoA's release list says. I'm almost done with Xenosaga III and need more Xeno. This game definitely has a big shot to be even better than Xenosaga to me. Just hope the story is on par and they make some sort of Perfect Guide for it too.

Btw, the intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6jyC74liSc

wsippel said:
Boy, that looks fucking awesome. Exactly what I want from an RPG.

My thoughts exactly. I almost want to write a letter to Takahashi and tell him that he totally understands what I want in a new RPG. Obviously just buying the game sends that message to some degree.

But I wish I could tell him... "You really get it. This is what I wanted."

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Bel Marduk said:
Lucky D:

I hope the game really makes it here in 2010 like NoA's release list says. I'm almost done with Xenosaga III and need more Xeno. This game definitely has a big shot to be even better than Xenosaga to me. Just hope the story is on par and they make some sort of Perfect Guide for it too.

Btw, the intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6jyC74liSc
Story-wise that looks better then i expected.

Pretty awesome intro.:D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Bel Marduk said:

Great intro. The way the camera pans out so quickly to show the utter incredible scale of the game is pretty brilliant. I think scale has always been a big theme of the game, and the intro shows it. Fantastic.

I did notice in another video that the game also brings up notices on the screen when you fulfill part of a side quest, as well as some sort of red waypoint arrow with a number (123, 141, etc) next to it. Anyone know what that was about?

zl10.jpg

Just picked this today I'll try and get some livestreaming later in when I get home. Also check out gamersyde A little later on for nice High quality movies. :D

Bebpo

Banned
DJmizuhara is in Japan I think. Some stores sell a day or two or three early over there. That's how videos go up so fast.

I shall keep on eye on the impressions for this. Trailers made the game look really good ,but I've been burned 3 times by the Xeno name and 5 times by this studio. If its good like I think it may be, a wii purchase may be in my future.

Jonnyram

Damn, I was hoping to avoid adding this to the mountain of games I have to play, but the excitement from everyone is pulling me in. Hopefully it's more -gears than -saga (sorry Bebpo!)

Cdammen

Extremely interested in the game thanks to the OP. I haven't played and finished a JRPG since FF12 (I loved its game mechanics) and I finally got a Wii just four months ago. Great timing, so many awesome Japanese titles on the horizon :)

I don't think I'll be following this thread, I don't want to be spoiled, just wanted to voice my interest.

Aeana

Well, crap. I apparently forgot to cancel the order I had made for the game a while back, so I guess I'm getting it after all.

Luigiv

Culex said:
I'd love to know how the developers are streaming the world. Even the loading times between areas is minimal. I always thought the Wii has serious RAM issues, so how the heck are they able to pull this game off?
probably freed up ram by forgoing LOD or something like that.

Bel Marduk said:
I hope this track is an area theme or something and not a cutscene :D Like I said before, the ACE+ stuff is the best stuff so far. I also really like the song at 1:12 in this vid.

Btw, two new gameplay vids from someone who has the game :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v00DGXlZdCc&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRbUyYvPtHA&feature=player_embedded

Simply amazing, I WOWED when I saw the character jump off the mountain and land at the bottom.

Why on earth did the character die as soon as he came out of the water though at the end of the first video?

Diffense

I'm already humming the field music lol.
I like the sense of scale, but there are warp points to ease navigation.
Definitely want.

Cep

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:
I shall keep on eye on the impressions for this. Trailers made the game look really good ,but I've been burned 3 times by the Xeno name and 5 times by this studio. If its good like I think it may be, a wii purchase may be in my future.

Enkidu

Nuclear Muffin said:
Why on earth did the character die as soon as he came out of the water though at the end of the first video?
I don't think he died, he just used some kind of quick travel to get to another place.

Enkidu said:
I don't think he died, he just used some kind of quick travel to get to another place.

He lost all of his HP and it showed him coming back to life with some sort of message explaining how losing HP is bad.

I don't know any Japanese so I have no idea why he died. I was wondering if anyone knew (maybe there's some sort of stamina system, where you die when you run out of it?)

wrowa

Nuclear Muffin said:
He lost all of his HP and it showed him coming back to life with some sort of message explaining how losing HP is bad.
He didn't die at the end of the first video :p He died at the second video.

He died there because one of the water creatures attacked him.

wrowa said:
He didn't die at the end of the first video :p He died at the second video.

He died there because one of the water creatures attacked him.

Oh, I didn't see it. I guess he just went into the wrong area :lol

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Shiggy said:
How did they create such a huge and seamless world on Wii? wow
Its impressive but I can't shake the feeling that we're falling pray to lowered expectations. The PS2 and Gamecube were both capable of similar feets even if it wasn't as ...pretty(?)/technologically advanced(?) as this (as it should be considering the Wii is supposed to be more powerful than those two systems).

grandjedi6 said:
Its impressive but I can't shake the feeling that we're falling pray to lowered expectations. The PS2 and Gamecube were both capable of similar feets even if it wasn't as ...pretty(?)/technologically advanced(?) as this (as it should be considering the Wii is supposed to be more powerful than those two systems).
I'd say lowered expectations is pretty much right.

Wii owners have gotten some impressive stuff... but it has been damn rare.

grandjedi6 said:

The only game that I felt was seemless like this in the previous generation was Shadow of the Colossus, and even that didn't have the rather stunning draw distance that Xenoblade has. I believe that most HD-built games nowadays are going for making individual locales look beautiful at the expense of creating a unified world, while Xenoblade sacrifices textures to go for a large-scale adventure. In that sense, it looks good mostly because something like this hasn't been actually attempted yet on this scale, although the aesthetics do help.

EDarkness

Welp, actually gonna pick this up tomorrow. Finally an RPG to sink my teeth into, and the videos look great. Can't wait to give it a try.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Sweet mercy this is looking beautiful. Watching those videos, I must own this game. C'mon guys, you know what you announce at E3...

(to the person who asked what disenfranchised meant: I mean that while I can easily still pour forty hours into an old-school style RPG like Etrian Odyssey or Avernum 6, I have trouble motivating myself to push through the first few hours of Mass Effect or Star Ocean 4. Something about the way RPGs have been evolving just clashes with my tastes. Xenoblade, just watching it though feels right.)

Top Bottom