• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| The Adventure Begins

BadSanta

Wow!

It's really impressive for a Wii game, considering the map size, the view distance, the beauty of the game and the absence of loadings.

Ricker

Aeana said:
Well, crap. I apparently forgot to cancel the order I had made for the game a while back, so I guess I'm getting it after all.

Send it to me if you don`t want to play hehe ;) ,...looking forward to impressions from all you lucky guys getting this game.

Blizrad

Neo Member
Thanks for the videos, everyone. The game looks awesome (no loading times for such big environments is very impressive. Better localize it quick!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
FINALLY the most important screenshots are out.

2n9yl5l.jpg

f20k5t.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
And for the ladies out there.

1058mmh.jpg

THANK YOU JAPAN

Vinci

Danish
These newer gameplay vids and the write-up from Famitsu have gotten me back into this title. It's been a roller-coaster ride, this one.

The_Technomancer said:
Is there a translation of the Famitsu write up? Or can someone summarize?
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3179597

Xenoblade (9/9/9/9, 36 points): The top game of the week, and a review score that's particularly striking because even Xenogears -- director Tetsuya Takahashi's most famous RPG -- received only 31 points upon its release in 1997. "The massive field to explore, plus the sheer number of side quests, is enough to make you forget about the main story," one writer said. "The battles are also excellent, requiring you to constantly think about your position against the enemy's."

While the story was interesting to the review crew, much of the praise was reserved for the battle system, which is "MMORPG-style in the way it plainly defines every character's role in the fight [...]It's hard to keep track of everything when a lot of enemies are attacking at once, but the chaos that results just adds to the tension."

Ricker

selig said:
And this is not yet confirmed for a European release? :/

Nope but someone brought over Fragile and Shiren and Sakura Wars,i`m pretty sure this will come to Euro and NA also...I really hope so anyway.

Hobbun

Not too hyped about this right now. One, it’s just now only being released in Japan and two, what I have seen of the combat has not excited me too much, especially since it’s being compared to FF XII.

But even still, looking forward to reading up on the impressions.

Diffense

I checked out some more videos.
The spirit of this game seems to be that of old SNES/Genesis RPGs translated to 3D and incorporating other modern elements.
It's all about the open world/field, with the story taking you on a grand tour of it rather than the world being a tunnel created for the story.
I need to start ignoring this game now so I'll forget about it until it is released outside Japan.

Dascu

Taxman said:
A bikini with a belt... OK this is getting ridiculous. No JRPG can escape the belt craze.
:lol

You're aware that bikinis with belts exist, right? And have existed for quite some time now?

Taxman

Dascu said:
:lol

You're aware that bikinis with belts exist, right? And have existed for quite some time now?
No I was not aware. But looking at them now, they're all light and unobtrusive. Hers looks like she stole a parachute strap or something.

ghibli99

Definitely looking forward to this one... haven't played any of their stuff since Xenogears, and that Japanese box art is just too perfect!

Diffense

Just came across this on andriasang (though it's old)

Design philosophy also appears to be different here. Past titles from Monolith have focused on events and scenario, Takahashi admitted. However, he feels that this type of development has reached a "dead end." The Xenoblade project started off by looking at the origins of the RPG genre. Takahashi wanted to make a game where it was simply enjoyable to adventure.

Just from what I saw, I got that impression.
I really hope it's as good as it looks.

kiryogi

Banned
NCSX got a partial shipment in but I'm not sure if I preordered early enough. *(Who am I kidding, I didn't place an order until last month)

WillyFive

BudokaiMR2 said:
RPG gamers are a very neglected group now. Forced into tiny hallways and cages like livestock. It's a sad state.

Well, for the past decade, RPG's have been getting further into stats and production values.

So for a game in a genre to be so open like this is very jarring.

Top Bottom