• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade (Wii, Monolithsoft x Nintendo) Information Thread

Boney

Banned
Wizpig said:
6420cd54e725ac73d767c69558f5b190.JPG
What's wrong with your face!

Bizzyb

Banned
Wizpig said:

Look at the "tree" behind his shoulder. I mean hell is that even a tree?? God those are some ugly ass textures. On a related note I think Crystal Bearers has some of the best textures I've seen on Wii. Check out the Tree textures in the Moogle Forest.

faridmon

bloody game look a bit repulsive. Reminds me of tales of Symphonia 2 but with crappier animation, draw distance looks good and the world feels sort of alive but man, those textures just look too ugly and the character design is just iffy.....

Am I wrong in saying FF XII felt more alive and had better texture?

I loved everything from Monolith and i woudl clearly liked Xenosaga games if they made it to EU land, but there is no excuse for this, it does look good but the good i would hope for specially after MH Tri.

Or am I thinking too negative? The only thing that excites me about the game so far is Shimamora and the potential likeness to FF XII which I adore. I hope they show gameplay in the next trailer.

It seems to me that every Monolith game looks a little bit worse than the precedent.

Methinks they should have gone for a different character design, a more cartoonish one.

For the life of me I can't understand how this game can be a total downgrade from Xenosaga III's graphics engine. You'd think they would just use that, tweak it a bit for Wii, and be good to go. That game STILL looks fairly decent.

I mean, what the fuck is this shit

I dunno... this isn't great, but it's alright, I suppose... It is a wii title after all. Shouldn't expect TOO much out of it. Though yes, there are definitely better looking Wii games.

Man, that Vagrant Story screenshot looks awesome! I forgot how incredible that game looked.

Dascu

ZephyrFate said:
For the life of me I can't understand how this game can be a total downgrade from Xenosaga III's graphics engine. You'd think they would just use that, tweak it a bit for Wii, and be good to go. That game STILL looks fairly decent.

Could someone post some Xenosaga III screenshots, 'cause the ones I find on google don't look any better than this at all.

MYE

radiantdreamer said:
Man, that Vagrant Story screenshot looks awesome! I forgot how incredible that game looked.

Yeah, until the camera moves. Then its the jittering pixelated mess that plagued Playstation games.

wrowa

batbeg said:
I imagine the problem is that they're treating the game like they had a specific budget and aren't exactly technical wizards of pushing systems to the max anyway.
I think it's not as much as a budget problem as it is a problem of their concept. They want to make a game with huge environments - but the Wii isn't exactly a platform that is good when it comes to showing huge environments, so that the result isn't looking as good as many have hoped.

JimboJones

The trailer showed some fairly big environments which so I guess they had to sacrifice some of the textures, I just hope the environments are explorable.

ShockingAlberto said:
I don't care if looks like Xenosaga as long as it plays nothing like it.

Never played that one.

What was wrong with it(if you don't wanna say it because it's too painful I can understand)?

Bebpo

Banned
Xenosaga is awesome. At least epI and some of epIII. Great battle system to go along with a good story and good graphics. EpII is terrible, but we don't talk about that one...

ILikeFeet

Banned
radiantdreamer said:
I dunno... this isn't great, but it's alright, I suppose... It is a wii title after all. Shouldn't expect TOO much out of it. Though yes, there are definitely better looking Wii games.

that's not an excuse anymore. if a company can get Mario Galaxy style visuals in 40mb, then they should be able to exceed PS1 level graphics on the disc. don't encourage this shit.

wrowa

ILikeFeet said:
that's not an excuse anymore. if a company can get Mario Galaxy style visuals in 40mb, then they should be able to exceed PS1 level graphics on the disc. don't encourage this shit.
Xenoblade definitely has its fair share of technical problems, but comparing it to Shin'en's WiiWare game or even Mario Galaxy is a case of apples and oranges.

ILikeFeet

Banned
wrowa said:
Xenoblade definitely has its fair share of technical problems, but comparing it to Shin'en's WiiWare game or even Mario Galaxy is a case of apples and oranges.

yea, that was a bit of a stretch. the first thing that came to mind. I guess something like Crystal Bearers is a better comaparision. but my point stands!

Here's hoping The Last Story doesn't look like that.

I see Artoon as having better modellers than Monolith so I don't think they will make it look like shit. although, I could be wrong.

ivysaur12

Banned
Bebpo said:
Xenosaga is awesome. At least epI and some of epIII. Great battle system to go along with a good story and good graphics. EpII is terrible, but we don't talk about that one...

This is so correct.

Bebpo said:
I got to a boss in 1 that, like, only Shion and Chaos could hit, died, and realized I was not having any fun playing this game.

Fimbulvetr said:
Never played that one.

What was wrong with it(if you don't wanna say it because it's too painful I can understand)?
Imagine if you will

You finish the introductory dungeon

Then you see a cutscene that's around ten to fifteen minutes of things that could easily be playable battles

And then you save and think "Man, thank god that's over" and another ten minute cutscene starts. It gave you a break in between cutscenes.

pitt_norton

I don't know what everyone is crying about... from the tone of that cutscene, all I see is a game that is setting out to have an epic scope.

WillyFive

I don't know.

Maybe it was the very low res of the video, the fantastic animations, or the sheer amazing scope and world they showed, but I was rather pleased with these graphics.

The overworld at the beginning of the video, for example, impressed me a lot more than FF13's overworld. (but then again, FF13's overworld is not that competitive at all)

Effect

I really don't understand why people keep comparing Wii games to PS2 games. As if they forget there are actual images of PS2 games out there and it only serves to make them look foolish at best. The same thing when people bring up N64 games. -_-

Anyway I really want to see more of this game in action. I only judge games by actual footage. I don't play games on pause so I could care less how individual frames look.

Bizzyb

Banned
Speaking of Xenosaga, I have never played any of them though I used to watch my cousin play way back when. Is it a good game to play by todays standard? I was just looking it up online and it's VERY affordable but for some reason episode III is expensive as hell.

So, should I jump in on these games or give a pass?

I'm sad to say that the screens we saw looked a lot better to me than these videos. I was kind of hoping that the first video was taken from an older build than the screens but I'm sure that's not the case. Hopefully they can polish up some of the textures, if nothing else. At least the scope looks impressive, and I like what I've heard about the game design. Plan on being there day one for this.

I don't think the character models are "bad" because of a low budget or lack of skill...It's probably just due to the character designs, at least if the character designer is the same guy who did Soma Bringer.

Well, at least they have a "different" look to them compared to your typical jrpg characters...

B.K.

It was posted in the Famitsu thread that Nintendo announced release details at a retailer meeting:

Xenoblade (Wii, Nintendo)
- June 10th
- 6,800 yen

duckroll

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/sx4j/world/index.html

A new part of the "world" section on the official site has opened. It has a running loop video of various locations and settings in the game, including stuff that wasn't in the new trailer. I definitely think the art direction is pretty good, and is definitely closer to XG than XS (although there are certainly many similarities to Soma Bringer as well). Looks good, even though the modeling, animation and textures could do with a ton of work.

duckroll

thestopsign said:
Weird that Nintendo is waiting so long to release this. Would have been a perfect "Easter" title.

I don't think Nintendo is waiting because they want to. I think Monolithsoft can't finish the game. :p

Wow, Xenosaga didn't age well... textures look nice and clean, but what a bland looking game... I have forgotten that it looked like that.

I'm glad that this game looks more like Xenogears style then. Wasn't too fond of the ultra-futuristic style of Xenogears.

Synless

ZephyrFate said:

It's really not though. Watch the video again. There is better lighting, the animation's on the trees and characters is better. The world has much larger scale and is better looking. The charcacter models and textures are downgraded because of these things I believe. Overall though it really is a step up.

Top Bottom