• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade (Wii, Monolithsoft x Nintendo) Information Thread

Cep

Banned
charlequin said:
No Soraya Saga is definitely not a good thing, ITT Cep further confirms his shitty taste

Homie, that was confirmed ages ago.

At this point, I just expect y'all to look at my posts, shake your heads in confoundment, and then move on.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
TruePrime said:
It very well might be. I stopped watching when they made it clear the annoying stupid brat with fairy wings was going to have a large role. Fucking can't handle shit with little kid main characters no more.

So he has a large role, so what? He's not even GaoGaiGar's pilot....

You're missing out on something truly awesome by not watching GGG.

Btw, have they talked about death penalty in the game? I'm very curious if they're going to use a lot of the conventions MLSI adopted for Soma Bringer (waypoints, teleports, etc etc).

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Regulus Tera said:
I knew it!

Soundtrack of the year! Yeah, eat your heart out SMG2.

I still think soundtrack of the year so far is Nier, but that's just me.

ReyVGM

Some highlights from the console games due to hit Japan next week, courtesy of Famitsu magazine's review pages: - Xenoblade (9/9/9/9, 36 points): The top game of the week, and a review score that's particularly striking because even Xenogears -- director Tetsuya Takahashi's most famous RPG -- received only 31 points upon its release in 1997. "The massive field to explore, plus the sheer number of side quests, is enough to make you forget about the main story," one writer said. "The battles are also excellent, requiring you to constantly think about your position against the enemy's."
While the story was interesting to the review crew, much of the praise was reserved for the battle system, which is "MMORPG-style in the way it plainly defines every character's role in the fight [...]It's hard to keep track of everything when a lot of enemies are attacking at once, but the chaos that results just adds to the tension."

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3179597

The massive field to explore, plus the sheer number of side quests

I'm there!

"Most of the RPGs we've created had their main focus on story and cutscenes, but I think that approach has reached a dead end," Takahashi said in an interview with Famitsu magazine this week. "This project got its start because we wanted to return to basics -- we just wanted to create a fun adventure. We're trying to give the player a lot of freedom without having them feel lost."

Music to my ears. There may be hope for the RPG genre, yet.

Vinci

Danish
ReyVGM said:
Some highlights from the console games due to hit Japan next week, courtesy of Famitsu magazine's review pages: - Xenoblade (9/9/9/9, 36 points): The top game of the week, and a review score that's particularly striking because even Xenogears -- director Tetsuya Takahashi's most famous RPG -- received only 31 points upon its release in 1997. "The massive field to explore, plus the sheer number of side quests, is enough to make you forget about the main story," one writer said. "The battles are also excellent, requiring you to constantly think about your position against the enemy's."
While the story was interesting to the review crew, much of the praise was reserved for the battle system, which is "MMORPG-style in the way it plainly defines every character's role in the fight [...]It's hard to keep track of everything when a lot of enemies are attacking at once, but the chaos that results just adds to the tension."

Wait. They're praising the battle system? Yeah. Consider me thoroughly surprised. Good score.

Vinci said:
Wait. They're praising the battle system? Yeah. Consider me thoroughly surprised. Good score.

From what I can see in the trailers, the battle system looks a lot like Final Fantasy XII, which I actually liked a lot. I can't tell how much control you have over other party members, but hopefully there is some.

pakkit

Banned
Sammy Samusu said:
It has already been shown by NoA, and, unlike Disaster, it seems to be getting critical accolades. I'd be hugely surprised if this doesn't make it shoreside by the end of 2010 or first quarter of 2011.

Varion

Nice favourable impressions there. Set nothing by Famitsu's scores but the actual content of the review sounds encouraging.

Just 7 days now! Can't wait for this to ship.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Cow Mengde said:
I don't get it. Is duckroll leaving this thread cause he hates the writer or is he leaving because he doesn't want to be spoiled?
Probably a mixture of both. It's good that I have zero proper knowledge about this game (and Last Story) because it means I can waltz in with a blank canvas.

Vinci

Danish
CryingWolf said:
From what I can see in the trailers, the battle system looks a lot like Final Fantasy XII, which I actually liked a lot. I can't tell how much control you have over other party members, but hopefully there is some.

I loved FF XII. But the battle system trailers for Xenoblade I saw made it look like enemies just sat there and/or moved around so slowly as to make combat pretty uneventful or interesting.

Cep

Banned
CryingWolf said:

Really?

Because other than having that 'MMO' base, they look nothing alike.

This seems a lot more like Soma Bringer (sans break status/launching).

Cep said:
Really?

Well I certainly can't identify everything that is going on. I just meant similar in the sense of enemies appearing in an open field, you run up to them and initiate combat without changing screens.

Sorry if I'm way off-base, but that seems like a fairly significant parallel. I'm not aware of too many other console RPGs that have used that approach.

Cep

Banned
CryingWolf said:
Well I certainly can't identify everything that is going on. I just meant similar in the sense of enemies appearing in an open field, you run up to them and initiate combat without changing screens.

Sorry if I'm way off-base, but that seems like a fairly significant parallel. I'm not aware of too many other console RPGs that have used that approach.

Well that is not exactly the battle system, but I see what you mean.

There are a lot of games that are probably more similar to XB than FF12 in the BS area, but they are mostly PC/HH.

pakkit

Banned
Does this game run at 60 FPS? The camera being able to pan so effortlessly while dealing with such huge environments is impressive.

Huge landscape ?
So many sidequest you can forget main story ?
Good music ?
Freedom ?
Praised fighting system ?
Fun and simplicity ?

tears-pf-joy.jpg

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Cep said:
Really?

It sounds to me like they've taken more from Xenosaga 3, with the normal attacks and positioning, but it's definite a fusion of both since this is in real-time. I wish they've let you use the Soma Bringer skill/item mapping system with the classic controller honestly, from the looks of it that would make the system faster. I hope it's fast enough the way they did it here.

Cep

Banned
jj984jj said:
It sounds to me like they've taken more from Xenosaga 3, with the normal attacks and positioning, but it's definite a fusion of both since this is in real-time. I wish they've let you use the Soma Bringer skill/item mapping system with the classic controller honestly, from the looks of it that would make the system faster. I hope it's fast enough the way they did it here.

Yeah, I would really have proffered the ability to map skills, but since maybe it will be quicker than we are seeing.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Cep said:
Yeah, I would really have proffered the ability to map skills, but since maybe it will be quicker than we are seeing.
I'm sure they had to change it since it wouldn't work well with the Wii remote and nun-chuk. :\

Oh well, I'm just glad it's a bar and not a whole bunch of menus.

Yamauchi

Banned
Some people would also say Chrono Cross had bad character design, but it's still my favorite game of all time. But if that's the kind of thing that people focus on, then I could see how it would bother them in Xenoblade.

Parley

Banned
The game looks great. Every bit of information that comes out only makes me more and more excited. As long as there is no Vanille it is a bonus.

Here is to hoping for no Vanille-like characters to dampen the experience.

jj984jj said:

thank you for reminding me to google if it will have classic controller support.

report: IT DOES. WANT BECAME HAPPENING.

ILikeFeet

Banned
concerning the character design, the only one I don't like is the big dude's design. the rest are fine.

and I don't seem to like Dunban's voice. or at least, his yells

farnham

Banned
dsister44 said:
the music in that trailer.....

dear god it's beautiful
indeed the melody was simply beautiful

too bad that the vocal wasnt that great

anyway the game is looking really good..

sure the textures are bad and the character models look weird

but the scale of the game, the atmosphere and the music is just too good

Top Bottom