• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade (Wii, Monolithsoft x Nintendo) Information Thread

Anso said:
So much love for the slightly generic RPG music and no love for MECHANICAL FUCKING GIANTS? Really, GAF, really?
Hey, I am one of the bigger proponents out there of high quality music in games. Music is as important to me as how a game looks and how it feels. Resident Evil 4, Starcraft, and GTA III were all masterpieces as a result of a lot of things, but one of the things was that their music was set correctly (even though most people didn't even notice them). You HAVE to get sound right in order to enhance the experience. See also the Metal Gear games and Super Mario Galaxy.

Anso said:
So much love for the slightly generic RPG music and no love for MECHANICAL FUCKING GIANTS? Really, GAF, really?

It looks like Shadow of the Colossus and 2 Colossi are fighting, once of them has a stone claymore and the other has a lightsaber. :lol

If the music isn't Yuki Kajiura (and it sure doesn't sound much like it), then I'll go back to sleeping in my chair. Sorry, I was never into Xenogears/Xenosaga and if I want to go back in time to PS2 RPG graphics, my PS2 is sitting right there by my PS3 and I can pop a SMT title in whenever I want. :lol

Anso

GregLombardi said:
Hey, I am one of the bigger proponents out there of high quality music in games. Music is as important to me as how a game looks and how it feels. Resident Evil 4, Starcraft, and GTA III were all masterpieces as a result of a lot of things, but one of the things was that their music was set correctly (even though most people didn't even notice them). You HAVE to get sound right in order to enhance the experience. See also the Metal Gear games and Super Mario Galaxy.

I work as a composer for games and I've studied music for as long as I've been alive, I've been involved in the VGM arrangement community and I'm an avid collector of both games and game soundtracks. I've written university essays on soundtrack, emphasizing especially how important it is to make music that fits.

Doesn't really take away from the fact that I think the music sounds a bit generic and that MECHANICAL FUCKING GIANTS are the more interesting thing here. Also, it's kinda odd to talk about how music should be set correctly when you've practically seen nothing of the game :)

hiro4

Marrshu said:
The music on that website is made of so much orgasmic win. It sounds like Yuki Kajiura.

IMO, this totally doesn't sound like Kajiura at all.
It is a great song, but totally different from what Kajiura did with for example, Madlax, .Hack or even with Kalafina/ FictionJunction.

GWX

duckroll said:
REPOSTING FOR NEW PAGE! :O

I'd wallpaper that shit, but Tower of Shadow's lastest one (that you get playing the trial on the japanese site) is what I'm using for now.

Anso said:

Music is still awesome.

sinxtanx

The one on the left is clearly a robot, but the one on the right feels more organic. Also, giant on the right is just holding a beam of light, there is no handle.

I have a feeling that this will be a very epic game.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Anso said:

I fucking love mechanical fucking giants like you wouldn't fucking believe.

Seriously, we need more giant robots in games these days. Can't get enough.

duckroll

sinxtanx said:
The one on the left is clearly a robot, but the one on the left feels more organic. Also, giant on the right is just holding a beam of light, there is no handle.

I have a feeling that this will be a very epic game.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/e3_2009/details/wii_monado.html

Watch the original Monado trailer. The giant alien on the right looks a lot like those smaller enemies the guy fights in the beginning and end of the trailer. I'm guessing the robot on the left is something the characters either summon/find or transform into.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Hmm...maybe this is completely wrong, but could this be the "surprising new entry in a popular series" title hinted at by Nintendo dream? Or is it something else?

sillik

Banned
screens from E3 2009, when the game was still called 'Monado'.
I think these are still relevant, as the sword design hasn't changed in these recent art pieces.

medium_3589223621_72ac617576_o.jpg

medium_3590030296_4d4030c188_o.jpg

medium_3589223853_59e3a596de_o.jpg

medium_3589223211_7189672d2b_o.jpg

duckroll

schuelma said:
Hmm...maybe this is completely wrong, but could this be the "surprising new entry in a popular series" title hinted at by Nintendo dream? Or is it something else?

Who gives a fuck about Nintendo Dream anymore? :lol

Unless they have articles with screenshots and interviews on Xenoblade and Last Story, then I care!

duckroll said:
I'm guessing the robot on the left is something the characters either summon/find or transform into.
To me it looks like the robot is weilding the Xenoblade, making me beleive that it's actually the main character who's transformed into a robot via the blade.

Wait, so this is that shitty looking RPG from E3? Did it go for a retooling, or are these shots just from a completely different portion of the game? Cuz it looks hella more impressive now.

duckroll

Mayor Haggar said:
Wait, so this is that shitty looking RPG from E3? Did it go for a retooling, or are these shots just from a completely different portion of the game? Cuz it looks hella more impressive now.

Those are the exact same shots from E3. There are no new media for Xenoblade yet. Probably next week at the earliest.

thefro

Xenoblade is a much better name than "Monado" if it's the same game.

I liked how the clips of Monado we saw looked... needed some more polish but it was promising. Some areas looked like FF12.

duckroll

You know, watching the Monado trailer again, I was discussing with a friend, and the possibility came up that Shimomura could have composed the music from the old trailer. Does anyone else think so?

Sophia

duckroll said:
You know, watching the Monado trailer again, I was discussing with a friend, and the possibility came up that Shimomura could have composed the music from the old trailer. Does anyone else think so?

... actually, yeah, it does kinda sound like him. :lol

duckroll

Marrshu said:
... actually, yeah, it does kinda sound like him. :lol

Yoko Shimomura is a woman.

mello said:
So what is Takahashi's actual role on the project?

The same role he had in Soma Bringer and the Xenosaga series. He's in charge of the entire production. While he'll probably be credited as "Executive Producer" like he was in Soma Bringer, his actual contribution is that it's his original idea and story, he comes up with all the characters and scenarios with his wife, and he oversees the overall production of the game and chooses all the staff involved.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
duckroll said:
I said that in the old thread. :p

And that's why I think Procyon Studio is responsible for the OST.

duckroll

jj984jj said:
I said that in the old thread. :p

And that's why I think Procyon Studio is responsible for the OST.

Huh? But Shimomura is not part of Procyon Studio. As a freelancer she has contributed a few tracks to stuff Mitsuda has produced previously, but not very extensively.

mello

duckroll said:
The same role he had in Soma Bringer and the Xenosaga series. He's in charge of the entire production. While he'll probably be credited as "Executive Producer" like he was in Soma Bringer, his actual contribution is that it's his original idea and story, he comes up with all the characters and scenarios with his wife, and he oversees the overall production of the game and chooses all the staff involved.

Thanks for the info.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
duckroll said:
Huh? But Shimomura is not part of Procyon Studio. As a freelancer she has contributed a few tracks to stuff Mitsuda has produced previously, but not very extensively.
I know she isn't part of the studio but like you said she has contributed tracks before as a freelancer, I think that's what happened here.

Puddles said:
That picture in the OP is kinda how I imagine the battle in heaven in Paradise Lost.
If only Angels were giant robots in the sky, and actually existed, eh?
An holy shit, that is a hand in the foreground. Birds and moss(?) on it indicate that its some sort of remnant?

duckroll

jj984jj said:
I know she isn't part of the studio but like you said she has contributed tracks before as a freelancer, I think that's what happened here.

I suppose either way we'll find out the truth really soon. It shouldn't be long before we get a steady stream of info if the game is really coming out in Spring.

What I found odd from the start is that while Soma Bringer's OST is actually owned by Mitsuda (there's a Proycon copyright on it), Xenoblade does not appear to be the case.

sillik said:
screens from E3 2009, when the game was still called 'Monado'.
I think these are still relevant, as the sword design hasn't changed in these recent art pieces.
medium_3590030296_4d4030c188_o.jpg
Eww, burn it with fire! Can't see shit. So its confirmed that this game has been overhauled since then or is that what everybody is hoping to god is happening.

Effect

Yes....a thousand times yes to a new Xeno game. Here's hoping it's more Xenogears and less Xenosaga though. I don't want an interactive movie. At the least no cut scene over 5 minutes and never back to back.

I should be doing hw said:
Eww, burn it with fire! Can't see shit. So its confirmed that this game has been overhauled since then or is that what everybody is hoping to god is happening.

We don't really know from what stage of development stage that video was from. Also it wasn't the best quality either due to how small it was. So the game could very well be similar to what we saw but simply more polished and better looking.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I should be doing hw said:
Look at all the placeholder items in the hud, that shot is probably nowhere near what the final release will be like.

Nekofrog

Banned
GregLombardi said:

Man, you don't know who you're talking to :)

Top Bottom