• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade (Wii, Monolithsoft x Nintendo) Information Thread

batbeg

I know it's small, but the graphics look pretty good to me in those town shots. The art really carries it, and the average NPC looks pretty nice.

MYE

enviroments look great on that vid :)

I really loved the vibe i got from this shot of the town(?) at night.

12225ci.jpg

erztoz.jpg

wrowa

Seda said:
To me, Character Models are much more important than the environment; that aspect of Xenosaga III has aged well.
Well, but Xenoblade is all about the environments. They want to make a game about exploring rather than about story-telling this time around. So, ugly environments could easily be somekind of a deal-breaker.

Though, apart of the crappy textures the environments are rather nice so far, I would say.

ILikeFeet

Banned
MYE said:
enviroments look great on that vid :)

I really loved the vibe i got from this shot of the town(?) at night.

12225ci.jpg

erztoz.jpg

metal houses? that sounds like a bad building choice.

and are the images suppose to rotate? cause if so, they don't do that for me.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
ILikeFeet said:
metal houses? that sounds like a bad building choice.

and are the images suppose to rotate? cause if so, they don't do that for me.
It's a video clip, just let it load.

ivysaur12

Banned
Some of the animations look really poor, especially the walking animation for one of the NPCs when they were carrying that thing.

But yeah, I still like the look of the game even though its technical aspects leave a lot to be desired.

Seda said:
To me, Character Models are much more important than the environment; that aspect of Xenosaga III has aged well.

Xenosaga has some okay locales, when not in battle.

Seeing these pics just reminded me how pissed i am that they didnt release Ep 1 and 3 here. Seriously, what was the point in releasing JUST episode 2? the middle part and the worst.

Hey guys, what do you think are the chances they would release 1-3 on the Wii? Im probably just gonna buy a US PS2 and pick them up (also picking up other games that didnt release here like Grandia 3).

Can't Nintendo teach other companies how to utilize the Wii's graphic capability to look like Mario Galaxy and Smash Bros? I really had high expectation for Xenoblade. Oh well, at least the soundtrack is promising.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I notice in the video link (rtmp://nvd.nintendo.co.jp/nvd/wii/sx4j/world2.flv) that it notes its world2.flv. Was there a first world clip video or is this just referring to it being in tab two of the world section?

TunaLover

Nirolak said:
I notice in the video link (rtmp://nvd.nintendo.co.jp/nvd/wii/sx4j/world2.flv) that it notes its world2.flv. Was there a first world clip video or is this just referring to it being in tab two of the world section?

The first clip was the one presenting a combat between human and mechas. It's the first clip on the trailers tab.

duckroll

Some additional info about Xenoblade from retailer listings and the retailer meeting yesterday:

- Monolithsoft estimates the game to be 70-80 hours long, over 100 hours if you decide to enjoy all the optional content

- The entire world in Xenoblade is "seamless" and all areas flow naturally and continuously. But there are loading breaks when you travel between major areas. Major areas are defined as different body parts of the two gods. So travelling from the region of the lower leg up to the knee area, there will be loading.

- The battles are all in realtime and seamless as well. No transitions or break, and you can see enemies roaming on the fields. When you attack enemies normally, you use auto-attack which makes the character automatically attack the targeted enemy continuously with regular attacks. If you manage to move behind an enemy or to the enemy's sides, you can trigger special attacks called Arts.

- Xenoblade's soundtrack is composed by Yoko Shimomura, and she's the only one mentioned in relation to the pre-order "special soundtrack" bonus. If there are other composers involved, they haven't been mentioned, but it's clear she's the main composer.

Haunted

Amazon screens look nice. I've poked around in the source code of the webpage but didn't find a way to get to the large images, seems they're loaded dynamically in the imageviewer and not explicitly stated in the source code. :/

duckroll said:
Some additional info about Xenoblade from retailer listings and the retailer meeting yesterday:

- Monolithsoft estimates the game to be 70-80 hours long, over 100 hours if you decide to enjoy all the optional content

- The entire world in Xenoblade is "seamless" and all areas flow naturally and continuously. But there are loading breaks when you travel between major areas. Major areas are defined as different body parts of the two gods. So travelling from the region of the lower leg up to the knee area, there will be loading.

- The battles are all in realtime and seamless as well. No transitions or break, and you can see enemies roaming on the fields. When you attack enemies normally, you use auto-attack which makes the character automatically attack the targeted enemy continuously with regular attacks. If you manage to move behind an enemy or to the enemy's sides, you can trigger special attacks called Arts.

- Xenoblade's soundtrack is composed by Yoko Shimomura, and she's the only one mentioned in relation to the pre-order "special soundtrack" bonus. If there are other composers involved, they haven't been mentioned, but it's clear she's the main composer.
Well if that's not good news, I don't know what is. Excellent, even though I don't even know if I have time for 70/80 hour games anymore. Here's hoping that's the usual pre-release exaggeration. :p

joetachi

evangd007 said:
Now why didn't they make the trailers look this good?
I dont know photoshop , maybe its the distance from the camara to the character because the parts where you see the world look good. Tne town and the character models it what looks strange. I was gonna say that both of the shots could be from fmv but i dont think they would do that for a battle screen.

Haunted said:
Amazon screens look nice. I've poked around in the source code of the webpage but didn't find a way to get to the large images, seems they're loaded dynamically in the imageviewer and not explicitly stated in the source code. :/

Well if that's not good news, I don't know what is. Excellent, even though I don't even know if I have time for 70/80 hour games anymore. Here's hoping that's the usual pre-release exaggeration. :p

Don't worry, it won't be 70-80, it'll be 50-60+ instead :lol Though Baten Kaitos Origins had me at the 70+ hour mark for pretty much the main story alone so who knows. But I expect it to be 50-60+ (with 100+ for optional content) like many longer RPGs that aren't like...DQ.

Instro

Screens look pretty, as long as they keep the up close shots of the characters to a minimum the game will look great.

And god damn at the length, thats probably pretty close to legit too, both Baten Kaitos games took me 60+ hours and I still missed a number of things. Nice to see a epic sized rpg hitting the wii.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
duckroll said:
Does anyone know how to extract the highest resolution versions from Amazon's stupid image viewer?
The basic method is to remove the bolded:

http: //z2-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00375MX6O.01._SX250_SCLZZZZZZZ_V214705074_.jpg

giving you

http: //z2-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00375MX6O.jpg

It's the stuff after the first dot and before the jpg that causes it to shrink.

duckroll

Nirolak said:
The basic method is to remove the bolded:

http: //z2-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00375MX6O.01._SX250_SCLZZZZZZZ_V214705074_.jpg

giving you

http: //z2-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00375MX6O.jpg

It's the stuff after the first dot and before the jpg that causes it to shrink.

That works for the first image (the box cover), but what about the screens?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
duckroll said:
That works for the first image (the box cover), but what about the screens?
It seems to have been cut into pieces. o_O

a=B00375MX6O+d=_SCR%282,3,1%29_+o=01+s=RMTILE+va=PT03+ve=214705074+e=.jpg

a=B00375MX6O+d=_SCR%283,3,2%29_+o=01+s=RMTILE+va=PT03+ve=214705074+e=.jpg

a=B00375MX6O+d=_SCR%283,1,2%29_+o=01+s=RMTILE+va=PT03+ve=214705074+e=.jpg
a=B00375MX6O+d=_SCR%283,2,2%29_+o=01+s=RMTILE+va=PT03+ve=214705074+e=.jpg

Edit:

Oh god, it's multiple resizes.

a=B00375MX6O+d=_SCR%281,2,0%29_+o=01+s=RMTILE+va=PT03+ve=214705074+e=.jpg

Edit 2:

Do Amazon hotlinks actually work with the zooming gallery? It's a really bizarre implementation.

Instro

Dude is that flat fruit still in the game, wth :lol

Oh well other than that and character models the game is actually quite pretty if the screenshots are accurate.

Fuma-X

All those screens are coming from the engine, so great rez & truly show how the game should look. Trailer was done with a Wii build, so resolution is lower, but that's what we will play.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
duckroll said:

That sounds great.

I don't know if I like the sounds of that... I hope they start giving us more details about the battle system soon. I wonder how they balanced the game if you attack automatically, it'd be kind of odd to put an emphasis on gameplay and make the system lenient due to auto-attacks. I know they've never made any of their games all too hard either, though Soma Bringer did have a hard mode, right?

That second track on the website leaves me optimistic about Yoko Shimomura handling the whole score if she composed it. I wonder if Takahashi wrote any lyrics for an image song in this game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Nuclear Muffin said:
Screens look great, knew the texture quality would look better with direct feed :D

Seamless gameplay and Yoko Shimomura get a big thumbs up from me!
Well, the textures probably still look like the video up close. The thing is that you usually won't view them that way, since the game is built to be viewed with a pulled back camera.

You see, the only seem to have one set of textures (most likely due to budget), and in order to render vistas that big, the texture resolution has to go down, but they still look great from a distance.

This is what I was going on about earlier...

MYE

duckroll said:

YES

Mael

Damn it I know I should have kept the blackout on this game....
Now I'll have another game to get (I'm trying to reduce the games I buy so that I can finish the one I actually have)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Well, my interest in the title has returned. Seamless environments and real-time battles, plus colour, and I'm looking forward to it. I think the environments look pretty good but its a shame the characters look so very, very bad. Its also a shame the game lacks, from what we've seen, a really cohesive and interesting art direction.

But oh well. I really enjoyed Disaster so I'll put my faith in Monolithsoft to deliver something enjoyable.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
So how many people are still basing their opinion of the game solely on that 1 horribly compressed youtube video?

duckroll

grandjedi6 said:
So how many people are still basing their opinion of the game solely on that 1 horribly compressed youtube video?

As opposed to basing their opinion on a super high resolution bullshot?

RpgN

The new info sounds good, and the towns are giving some good vibe. Now knowing more about the gameplay would be nice.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Hype x 1000. Nintendo better fucking push this game or I'll be pissed.

.. who am I kidding, of course they won't push it... :(

Top Bottom