• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XENOGEARS |OT| of Standing Tall and Shaking the Heavens

ErasureAcer said:
Well I got to the stalactite cavern. Game is as good as I remembered. Play some more tomorrow.

Oh yeah and I got the RPS badge!!! I know the hide and seek badge is in Aveh, is the tag badge there too?

Nope it's much later in the game.
At the orphanage on the island.

LProtag

Man, I can't wait to get started with this. I can already feel the nostalgia bomb coming. I'm hoping I'll understand more of the end of the first disc now that I'm 22 compared to when I was 10. Finally a chance to beat the game. I can't find my old discs, I looked, but they skipped anyway.

Ichabod

Banned
My humble (and poorly made) submission for topic banner...

Chuuu.jpg

Cels

Red Blaster said:
WTF is this RPS Badge people keep talking about

you play RPS against the guy at the beginning to get it

and you need two other badges to get some stuff later on...

GatorBait

I can't wait to see everyone's opinions after they finish this game again. I played it when I was around 14 and I'm not quite sure I was able to grasp all the allusions in the game. I always wondered how I would view the storyline nearly 13 years later. I'm curious to hear how it holds up. I'll get around to replaying it myself eventually, but it won't be until at least this Fall/Winter.

demosthenes said:
I don't remember the badges, what do they get you?

I have no idea...can't find it online what you get. Never beaten the RPS guy(never put in the time...took me over an hour) before until I did today. I guess you collect your prize in
Shevat

Muffdraul

demosthenes said:
I don't remember the badges, what do they get you?

From what I can remember... (and I haven't played Xenogears in a looong time so bear with me)
you trade the three badges for three accessories, none of which is particularly great. Unless one of them is the one that makes your Str inverse to your HP... which IMO is one of the best accessories in the game.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I still own the OG Discs for this game...

thinking about doing it again on the PSP. So many other things to play, I wonder I would "get" the story more now as an adult than the first time I played it ten years ago as a teenager.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Thanks for the submissions. I picked the first banner submitted but if members overwhelmingly like the other choice let me know. More are always welcome of course.

I felt like the whole Crucifex Chu-Chu thing might be too much of an inside joke for those that already played, but GAF gets what GAF wants.

Trojita said:
Thanks for the submissions. I picked the first banner submitted but if members overwhelmingly like the other choice let me know. More are always welcome of course.

I felt like the whole Crucifex Chu-Chu thing might be too much of an inside joke for those that already played, but GAF gets what GAF wants.

I don't think seeing a pink fluffy animal on a crusifix is an inside joke. The picture is silly no matter how you look at it.

Melhisedek said:
Guys anyone played this on emulator perhaps? Any tips on graphics setup?
I tried running it on an emulator awhile ago but no matter what settings I used I always had problems with the screen going completely black about 30ish minutes into the game when
Lahan is on fire
. Also, the emulator doesn't really make this game look all that much better since it can't really up the resolution of the character sprites. I recommend just buying the PSN version.

sammy

I'm still coming to grips that Xenogears is actually portable for $10 *tears of joy*

Downloaded it, and really forgot just how damn well the writing in the game is.

But I'm a few hours in and I hooked my bluetooth up and the PSPgo to output on the TV..... and now whenever I load into the game the startscreen is paused and I can't do anything : /
I'm trying to figure it out, because the first time I played this game I got 34 hours in an my memory card got formatted, I want to make it through the entire game now confident that nothing's gonna' glitch up on me...

Swag

Tamanon said:
Or better, a Xenosaga 4.
:/
If it doesn't have
KosMos
then I don't wanna play it.
Although I guess they could just rebuild her, once they find her, but who would be the villain this time?
I think that series is best left untouched, they should come up with something else just as epic.

Sebulon3k said:
If it doesn't have
KosMos

Although I guess they could just rebuild her, once they find her, but who would be the villain this time?

I think that series is best left untouched, they should come up with something else just as epic.

Well they could start telling the story of Abel, or better yet, Lacan.
*~*

Swag

Pinko Marx said:
Well they could start telling the story of Abel, or better yet, Lacan.
*~*
I don't want them to ruin my memory of those characters with a sub par spin off.

For Example, FFX-2

Sebulon3k said:
If it doesn't have
KosMos

Xenoblade :p

Trojita

Melhisedek said:

I tried playing it once. You can make it look nice with some filters but the filters make the words really hard to read.

Trojita

Pinko Marx said:
My experience with emulators has been either you have some really great 3D, at the expensive of some crappy 2D, or vice versa.

Oh yeah that too. The graphics that really made the 3d look good made the 2d awful.

sammy

Well... I got things to work out by deleting my save and starting over. NO COMPLAINTS HERE! I forget just how deeply satisfying this game is. The main character doesn't only talk, but talks a lot and it works out very well in this case.

Xenogears is so beautiful too, the colors and style even Fei's paintings. The animations do a lot for the battling, and how multiple characters can have dialogue together on the screen does a lot for the narrative.

One small thing that I really like that this game does (which I don't remember seeing in any other games) is that when you talk to most unimportant NPCs, you can still move your character around and even walk away in the middle of the conversation. This is great for if you hit 'X' one more time on accident and just started talking to an NPC all over again or if an NPC is simply saying something completely boring. It's a tiny thing that doesn't really add much to the overall game, but it's something that I still appreciate.

Oh, and also I had completely forgotten about all the awesome 'well' puns in Lahan village. :lol

Spwn

^ Back in 2001 when I got the game I was amazed by the ability to jump. My only jrpg experiences so far had been Final Fantasies from V to VIII so in my 12 year old mind it was almost revolutionary. Even to this day there aren't that many jrpg's where you can jump.

Zwei

Speaking of jumping, I remember that Anima cavern (?) puzzle where you had to jump on some pillars or something.. Damn thing took me forever to finally solve.

Good times.

Vorador

Banned
Melhisedek said:

I played it a while ago, used epsxe. Sprites looked like shit, everything else looked good.

mh61kj.jpg

1zbud8j.jpg

2iqe34x.jpg

Oh, also...

1qsxsh.jpg

Some scenes got a whole lot funnier this way.

TheFreshPrince

Not a huge fan of JRPGs, but the hype on this one has me super interested. I played the first 20 mins on a friends PSP....but it seemed slow and plodding.

Does it pick up pace or is it a typical JRPG slog? 10 hours of plane flights this weekend so looking for something exciting (this, Tactics Ogre, or GhostTrick).

Any thoughts?

TheFreshPrince said:
Not a huge fan of JRPGs, but the hype on this one has me super interested. I played the first 20 mins on a friends PSP....but it seemed slow and plodding.

Does it pick up pace or is it a typical JRPG slog? 10 hours of plane flights this weekend so looking for something exciting (this, Tactics Ogre, or GhostTrick).

Any thoughts?

Its a jRPG, the first 20 minutes of any jRPG is slow and plodding...Idk what you were expecting.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Speaking of Xenogears, the new Myth Xenogears Orchestra album is wonderful.

Seems like this release was kinda timed around the Album.

I picked this up cause I missed it the first time around and really have always wanted to play it since, but without paying a steep price for it. So I'm really glad it popped on PSN.

Only about two hours in and I'm playing it on my PSP. The controllers are a little disorienting at first, but I've gotten the hang of 'em.

Also, combat seems really tight. Loving it so far.

I cannot believe it's been 13 years since I last played this. I still own the original discs but I downloaded the PSN version for my Go. I am ready to jump back in!

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Vorador said:
I played it a while ago, used epsxe. Sprites looked like shit, everything else looked good.

I'm not getting a good result playing on ePSXe.

Same settings, Q6600 CPU (stock speed), 4GB RAM, 1 GB HD4950 GPU. Should be cake to run at max settings, but I get slow down in fight scenes.

Let me in

Fatghost said:

Same settings, Q6600 CPU (stock speed), 4GB RAM, 1 GB HD4950 GPU. Should be cake to run at max settings, but I get slow down in fight scenes.

I have similar specs (Q6600 @ 3.4, 4GB, 8800GT) and I've been playing it with all settings maxed with no prob. OpenGL2 tends to be slow for me. I recommend D3D.

Clevinger

Fatghost said:

The key is setting the "gfx card vram" from autodetect to 1000mb or however much exactly is in your video card. Should run perfectly smooth after that.

Top Bottom