• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenosaga hate thread, special guest Fady K

firex

I seriously never have, and probably never will, play the Xenosaga games solely because of how shitty Xenogears was when I tried replaying it a second time. Which doesn't mean it was a good game the first time, just that my natural desire to want to finish out the story made me ignore the absolutely horrible flaws in the writing and gameplay.

Avalon

Tetsuya Takahashi should never direct a game ever again. He writes some fairly fascinating story, but he has absolutely no concept of what makes a game good and he refuses to learn from his mistakes.

I've never played a game series that was so linear, so devoid of freedom, interaction, challenge (excluding Episode II & III's dungeon design and Episode II's battle system) and so dependant on not it's own story, but the symbolism behind it.

Part of me is glad the series is over (hopefully). The scope of the story Takahashi wrote in Perfect Works is far to ambitious. Just like Xenogears and Xenosaga if the story were to someday continue... it would be severely compromised.

RSLAEV

jeremy1456 said:
Xenosaga represents most, if not all of what's wrong with modern RPGs.

This man is correct. It may have a few hardcore fans but they ended the series early for a reason.

Fady K

Red Scarlet said:
I stopped at Gears.

Oh, if u didnt like gears so much, itll be really hard to recommend Xenosaga. Although the game is really different.

MoxManiac said:
Err, complex dungeons are a good thing :p

I know, thats why i said the dungeons arent too complex :D

Systems_id said:
Sad really since, to this very day, I think Xenogears is one of the greatest RPGs ever made. Xenosaga: Episode I was ok but Episode II was like a bad parody of Ep. I. Both pale in comparison to Xenogears. Still have yet to play Ep. III although judging from the spoilers I've read, I'm really glad I didn't.

Dude, what ur saying here is completely understandable, but dont read any more spoilers, and see what Ep III is all about ;)

trejo said:
Xenosaga III is actually a pretty good game. I'm on Michtam right now
I just kicked Pellegri's ass
and it seems I'm about to wrap it up. I was lukewarm on the first game and skipped the second one due to the not so critical acclaim it received, but after reading Bebpo's and everyone else's impressions I decided to give the third game a try. Sure, the story is a little overwhelming and confusing at times and the constant spewing of half-assed references is cringeworhty, but it still manages to be quite entertaining and the mech battles are just damn awesome. It has a fantastic soundtrack as well. Having said that I can totally understand why some people dislike the series and with that in mind I definitely wouldn't recommend it to them.

Good, ur about to go through some of the best moments in gaming history :D Glad u like it! Also, i see u liked the soundtrack too. Yuki did an awesome job here! I wonder what game she'll work on next, if she will that is. Hope u like the ending, which is probably the longest ending ull ever see.

briefcasemanx said:
Are you a racist??

is it bad that i might check this game out because of this thread?

No! Its not bad, u r doing the right thing :D Go for it! However, at least try to watch through the Ep I and Ep II FMVs (unless u finishem em already) at bluelaguna.net and then start Ep III for the ultimate experience

Reilly said:
The game overall is pretty good, but the second disk made me stop playing.

Are you for real? Things get realllllly interesting in disc 2.

BlueTsunami said:
;_;

Wait thats probably a good thing

/me hates Xenosaga

My dreams have beeen cwushed! Oh what could have been Xenosaga

Its all about Episode III bro :D Read RPGfan's review by Patrick Gann - he states how EpIII is the Xeno game people have been waiting for.

ethelred said:
Oh my god, did someone actually say this? We have officially crossed the line into vicious satire.

I know :D Feels nice when u cross it :p

stressboy said:
I stopped playing Xenosaga once I met a character people were calling "Little Master".

U cant be serious :(

trejo said:
You're really not helping your case with statements like that. :\

Cmon, its my favorite line already :p

Avalon said:
Tetsuya Takahashi should never direct a game ever again. He writes some fairly fascinating story, but he has absolutely no concept of what makes a game good and he refuses to learn from his mistakes.

I've never played a game series that was so linear, so devoid of freedom, interaction, challenge (excluding Episode II & III's dungeon design and Episode II's battle system) and so dependant on not it's own story, but the symbolism behind it.

Part of me is glad the series is over (hopefully). The scope of the story Takahashi wrote in Perfect Works is far to ambitious. Just like Xenogears and Xenosaga if the story were to someday continue... it would be severely compromised.

Takahashi's vision was far too ambitious indeed, but Episode III seemed to patch things together fine I think.

ethelred said:

:D

RSLAEV said:
This man is correct. It may have a few hardcore fans but they ended the series early for a reason.

Yes, most of these people havent play Ep III tho! Thats where its at bro :D

Tabris

Error needs to STFU about XSEP3 already since he hasn't played it and he won't play it. He has no right to form an opinion on a game he knows nothing about it. The difference between XSEP2 and XSEP3 are night and day.

Anyways, even with the greatness that is Final Fantasy XII, I still think XSEP3 is one of my favorite RPGs this generation. Absolutely fantastic. Takes the symbolism that was common in Gears and gives it a literal spin. Very cool and innovative for a video game story.

Nothing right now, I'm fixing my DQ3 remake Hero solo video to get put up on archive.org. I think I went through it under 10hrs. I'm just taking out 'dead space', like when I ended up dying or went to the bathroom after saving. Somewhere linked my DQ4 video up on archive somewhere, right now it has over 9000 views (I wasn't expecting more than 100) and the highest batting average of any movie on the site (98.6% of people that viewed the comments dled something). I don't know what happened there.

duckroll

I really like this thread, it exposes many human flaws and is so deep and philosophical! This is one of the best threads last generation! :lol

Thanks for the help/suggestions about the Orochi and stuff, duckroll.

rawr
orochi.gif

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
People whine about .hack being episodic but love on Xenosaga? Boo! At least .hack is fun to play. More to the point: I bought XS1 and Infection on the same day. I never would have imagined that XS would be the series I end up hating, especially cause I loved XG.

XS Ep1: I (regretably) own and beat over the course of a year because the gameplay was friggin slow and boring. Battles were obnoxiously drawn out and leveling up was a real grind. And hey I even resorted to using a faq! -_- Nice story though.

XS Ep2: Rented. Played five(?) hours and called it a weekend. The battles were unbarebly difficult. I didn't fully understand the battle system of the first game so here they go and revamp it and I'm hopelessly lost and getting beatdown by run of the mill baddies outside of some gas station lol. Story and character designs were waayyyy weak. They also gimped the voices! >_<

XS Ep3: Don't even care to rent it. Go away!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Tabris said:
The difference between XSEP2 and XSEP3 are night and day.

How is the difference between XS1 and XS3 though? I don't care about 2. Probably nobody does. So why compare it to the weaker of its predecessors? Is it "fun" or is it "yay I trudged through two cruddy games and now a third but hey look! closure!" ?

FateBreaker said:
aren't you the one that should be going away? the re-hype of xenosaga is essentially on this title; if you havent played it, stop.

What's there to hype? The series is over. Even if it was decent as both a "game" and "story" it's much to late for me to care. And that sure isn't my fault.

duckroll

Lindsay said:
What's there to hype? The series is over. Even if it was decent as both a "game" and "story" it's much to late for me to care. And that sure isn't my fault.

You nailed it. The only people that even remotely care about XS3 are the people that have played XS1 and/or XS2. Sure, XS3 is a pretty good game overall. But the series is still a total mess and was put out of it's misery early. Now that it's over, who cares? :lol

Fady K

Tabris said:
Error needs to STFU about XSEP3 already since he hasn't played it and he won't play it. He has no right to form an opinion on a game he knows nothing about it. The difference between XSEP2 and XSEP3 are night and day.

Anyways, even with the greatness that is Final Fantasy XII, I still think XSEP3 is one of my favorite RPGs this generation. Absolutely fantastic. Takes the symbolism that was common in Gears and gives it a literal spin. Very cool and innovative for a video game story.

Yup, he should play it first, bet hell like it anyway ;) By the way, fully agreed on what u said in the 2nd paragraph.

Red Scarlet said:
Nothing right now, I'm fixing my DQ3 remake Hero solo video to get put up on archive.org. I think I went through it under 10hrs. I'm just taking out 'dead space', like when I ended up dying or went to the bathroom after saving. Somewhere linked my DQ4 video up on archive somewhere, right now it has over 9000 views (I wasn't expecting more than 100) and the highest batting average of any movie on the site (98.6% of people that viewed the comments dled something). I don't know what happened there.

Not bad! Never got to play any DQs aside 7 and 8 tho.

duckroll said:
I really like this thread, it exposes many human flaws and is so deep and philosophical! This is one of the best threads last generation! :lol

human flaws?? Give us a break, ducky! XS3 rocks! Oh, and im glad u love this thread. This thread needs all the love it can get :D

Lindsay said:
People whine about .hack being episodic but love on Xenosaga? Boo! At least .hack is fun to play. More to the point: I bought XS1 and Infection on the same day. I never would have imagined that XS would be the series I end up hating, especially cause I loved XG.

XS Ep1: I (regretably) own and beat over the course of a year because the gameplay was friggin slow and boring. Battles were obnoxiously drawn out and leveling up was a real grind. And hey I even resorted to using a faq! -_- Nice story though.

XS Ep2: Rented. Played five(?) hours and called it a weekend. The battles were unbarebly difficult. I didn't fully understand the battle system of the first game so here they go and revamp it and I'm hopelessly lost and getting beatdown by run of the mill baddies outside of some gas station lol. Story and character designs were waayyyy weak. They also gimped the voices! >_<

XS Ep3: Don't even care to rent it. Go away!

Wait a sec there linds. Dot hack IS fun to play, and i dont see much of a problem with the episodic content - but! The episodic content are similiar and run on the same system - graphics and gameplay wise. Sure there are minor changes here and there, but in the end, it couldve been a part of one game, or at least 20 dollar games. Thats where Xenosaga is different. The differences between the 3 episodes are crrrrrazy.

By the way about what u said regarding Episode II (XS), i can understand why u felt that way. A lot of my friends felt the same. I agree the voices were gimped. Heres the thing tho, dont PLAY through EpII, watch the fmvs at bluelaguna.net and then play Episode III. Trust me, unlike 1, 3 has fast paced gameplay. Unlike II, 3 has a much better storyline, much better character designs, and they even bring back the voice actors of the first episode! Give it a shot, u wont regret it :D Trust me. And btw, what did ya think of GU?

Lindsay said:
How is the difference between XS1 and XS3 though? I don't care about 2. Probably nobody does. So why compare it to the weaker of its predecessors? Is it "fun" or is it "yay I trudged through two cruddy games and now a third but hey look! closure!" ?

Whats there to hype? One of the best RPGS that ever existed, thats whay :D And its not "decent" as a game and story, its excellent IMO. It aint ur fault, i agree, because Episode II was a mess up of epic proportions for many, but Ep III is a different story. I swear i wouldnt hype a game so much for nothing. And dude, just cause the series is over doesnt mean theres no need to play it :)

duckroll said:
You nailed it. The only people that even remotely care about XS3 are the people that have played XS1 and/or XS2. Sure, XS3 is a pretty good game overall. But the series is still a total mess and was put out of it's misery early. Now that it's over, who cares? :lol

Yes, ur right, the only people that care are ones who played Ep I & II. But now, where ur wrong, because of 3 - xenosaga didnt end up being a mess at all. In fact, Episode III saved Xenosaga's ass and didnt grant it the status of "good", just ask any who beat it, and most will tell u it granted it the status of "legendary". Yes, that good. Every gamer who beat 3, or mostly every gamer, can now look back at the Xeno series and smile.

The thing is - no one guarantees that its over - just wait and see what Monolith will do in the future ;) and even if it were - doesnt mean people wouldnt care for it anymore :p

Fady K

Red Scarlet said:
How long is it? Will it make any sense?

Ok, red, here are the details. Theres about 42 videos to download, total size is around 1.5 GB, and total length is about 4 hours and a half. If you HAVE beaten Episode I, yeah this will make sense, it contains every single cutscene in Episode II, right down to the credits even. Of course, if there was anything at all that u didnt get in the story feel free to ask.

I would like to note that in about 2 - 3 of those 42 videos, the voiceovers are not timed correctly with the FMV, so ull see a character speaking, but hear whats said 3-4 seconds later. This is the case with only 2-3 videos.

BluWacky

Yes, ur right, the only people that care are ones who played Ep I & II. But now, where ur wrong, because of 3 - xenosaga didnt end up being a mess at all. In fact, Episode III saved Xenosaga's ass and didnt grant it the status of "good", just ask any who beat it, and most will tell u it granted it the status of "legendary". Yes, that good. Every gamer who beat 3, or mostly every gamer, can now look back at the Xeno series and smile.

Bollocks, bollocks and bollocks again.

Nothing can erase the sheer awfulness of episode 2, and I'm not even talking about the storyline (seriously, who gives a flying f*ck about Jr.? Anyone?). It's bad because it's shoddily designed and programmed, not just because of the incompetence of Monolithsoft.

I haven't finished ep III myself; I've just done chapter 5. Whilst I'm enjoying it, and it's more fun than a lot of other PS2 RPGs thus far
coughFinalFantasyXIIcough
it's not "legendary" by any means; it's just a decent enough RPG with a decent enough storyline, and it certainly doesn't redeem the whole Saga OR the incoherency of Gears (as much as I enjoyed it).

Fady K

duckroll said:
Xenosaga is worthless, don't waste your time.

Sorry Ducky boy, but u didnt beat Episode III so u wouldnt really know :p Unless u watched someone play the whole game thru:p

BluWacky said:
Bollocks, bollocks and bollocks again.

Nothing can erase the sheer awfulness of episode 2, and I'm not even talking about the storyline (seriously, who gives a flying f*ck about Jr.? Anyone?). It's bad because it's shoddily designed and programmed, not just because of the incompetence of Monolithsoft.

I haven't finished ep III myself; I've just done chapter 5. Whilst I'm enjoying it, and it's more fun than a lot of other PS2 RPGs thus far
coughFinalFantasyXIIcough
it's not "legendary" by any means; it's just a decent enough RPG with a decent enough storyline, and it certainly doesn't redeem the whole Saga OR the incoherency of Gears (as much as I enjoyed it).

I thought the game was legendary, and surely, not many people are going to think that - especially those who hated Episode I and/or two. I didnt hate Episode II at all. Disappointing? Oh yeah. Sheer awful? Far from it (IMO).

BUT i would like to say that i think u WILL feel different about the game once ur playing through chapters 7-10.

U'll see. :)

Chapter 5? I thought the game was pretty good at that point. U aint seen nothing yet. Enjoy the next 5 chapters. I must say that im really glad ur actually playin Episode III to begin with. If possible, lemme know what u think once ur done with it.

Peace

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
WHY CAN'T PEOPLE WHO LIKE XENOSAGA SPELL OUT THE WORD "YOU"!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
brandonh83 said:
I actually like Xenosaga myself. It's just mindblowing the things that these true fans say.
And reading Fady K's posts is akin to reading Tabris's posts while pouring hot sauce on my dick to put out a fire.

Avalon

Fady K said:
Takahashi's vision was far too ambitious indeed, but Episode III seemed to patch things together fine I think.

You give Episode III far too much credit. At best is was a butchered version of what Takahashi wanted... It was far more compromised then all his previous work (Well, at least on par with Episode II).

Xenogears, despite being the most different from what Takahashi originally wanted is still the best out of the Xeno games for me. The scope of the story is huge... Not only that, but a game is actually in there as well.

gah, I played the first got board...played gears after, was extremely impressed....the game was extremely linear, but it is one of the few unpredictable and multi layered plots of experienced in a game....have little interest in xenosaga, and at least I wasnt disappointed, cause I played gears after

peace

Diablos

Eager to play a new RPG for PS2, I bought Xenosaga (first one) when it came out, played it for about 15 minutes...

...and put it on eBay about 10 minutes later.

So that basically sums up how I feel about Xenosaga.

Buggy Loop

Sweedishrodeo said:
yo true this shit.

**** THE CUTSCENES

Yea! Hurray for half hours of text story cutscenes where characters just move over the screen and another text pop up, and you press the button to make it advance, just like we LOVED in FF7, FF8, xenogears and countless other PS2 rpgs.

not

ethelred

Diablos said:
Eager to play a new RPG for PS2, I bought Xenosaga (first one) when it came out, played it for about 15 minutes...

Diablos, you missed the finest example of storytelling since The Divine Comedy, when
Shion spends two hours delivering curry.

Buggy Loop

Diablos said:

So you're saying you didnt even get past the encephalon dive tutorial? hahahaha... wow, i'll believe your opinion then and sell xenosaga!

duckroll

Buggy Loop said:
So you're saying you didnt even get past the encephalon dive tutorial? hahahaha... wow, i'll believe your opinion then and sell xenosaga!

I don't think he was telling anyone to follow suit. He was simply summing up how he felt about the game. Something stupid xenofanboys can't seem to accept.

Diablos

ethelred said:
Diablos, you missed the finest example of storytelling since The Divine Comedy, when
Oh man, so bummed I missed THAT.

:lol

alexel

Hey, I really want to play Xenosaga III, but I have no desire to play Xenosaga I and II. What's the best way to prepare myself for Ep 3 without having to sit through Ep1 and 2? Gamfaqs story guide? Perhaps a video summary of the two games somewhere out there? Thanks for the help.

Diablos said:

I wish I did that. I want those 25-35 hours back, Namco!

BluWacky

alexel said:
Hey, I really want to play Xenosaga III, but I have no desire to play Xenosaga I and II. What's the best way to prepare myself for Ep 3 without having to sit through Ep1 and 2? Gamfaqs story guide? Perhaps a video summary of the two games somewhere out there? Thanks for the help.

Xenosaga III has two text summaries of all the important plot points in XSI and II.

I just read the one for ep. II rather than continue to play it and lose years of my life with each second of game time, and that's pretty much filled me in on what's going on.

alexel

BluWacky said:
Xenosaga III has two text summaries of all the important plot points in XSI and II.

I just read the one for ep. II rather than continue to play it and lose years of my life with each second of game time, and that's pretty much filled me in on what's going on.

wow that's sweet, Xenosaga Ep3 officially on my backlog list now haha.

Fady K

RevenantKioku said:
WHY CAN'T PEOPLE WHO LIKE XENOSAGA SPELL OUT THE WORD "YOU"!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

You.

RevenantKioku said:
I actually like Xenosaga myself. It's just mindblowing the things that these true fans say.
And reading Fady K's posts is akin to reading Tabris's posts while pouring hot sauce on my dick to put out a fire.

U like Xenosaga?? As long as u like it, i dont care about u pouring hot sauce on ur wii to put out a fire :p

Abel said:
Yet you played all 3...
DOES NOT COMPUTE! :lol

Actually, Abel, i dont think he played much of 3. Right Ducky :D

Avalon said:
You give Episode III far too much credit. At best is was a butchered version of what Takahashi wanted... It was far more compromised then all his previous work (Well, at least on par with Episode II).

Xenogears, despite being the most different from what Takahashi originally wanted is still the best out of the Xeno games for me. The scope of the story is huge... Not only that, but a game is actually in there as well.

It was a butchered version of what Takahashi wanted Avalon, but i dont see whats wrong with that. If it was delivered the way Takahashi planned it in Episode III, it wouldnt have been satisfying - proof? Look at Episode I. That was just like Takahashi wanted it to be. The story drags in many areas, I loved it, but many found it slow, so this is a positive change for EpIII.

Wait a sec - u say u liked Xenogears because there actually was a "game" in there as well. Dude, EpIII rocks in the gameplay department. Ive been bragging on and on about how good the GAMEplay is. Go read the reviews and see how they boast about how EpIII finally delivers the goods in the gameplay like never expected. Although if u didnt like the gameplay yourself...well, like they say, opinions are opinions.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Hmmm, this thread reminds me that I still need to get Xenosaga 2 and 3 myself.

Actually homer, i dont know if u should get Episode II, i mean give it a shot first, a lot of people didnt like it, so approach this one with caution. Just watch the fmvs at bluelaguna.net and then start Episode III. Dont worry, they got every little cutscene there.
Enjoy!

duckroll said:
Hey I've played Eureka Seven TR1 too. You wanna play that? :p

Dont bring up that game here :p It sucks! How much of XS3 did u play anyway (the actual game, and not the hacked database :D)

Diablos said:

Im sorry u feel that way, but u honestly didnt put enough time into it dude. U dont usually try RPGs for only 10 minutes, at least thats how i see it...

Buggy Loop said:
Yea! Hurray for half hours of text story cutscenes where characters just move over the screen and another text pop up, and you press the button to make it advance, just like we LOVED in FF7, FF8, xenogears and countless other PS2 rpgs.

not

Buggy, if the story kicks so much ass that u can barely feel ur ass, then it doesnt matter dude :p

ethelred said:

Two hours? I spent fifteen minutes with the curry :D Why drag on for so long?

duckroll said:
I don't think he was telling anyone to follow suit. He was simply summing up how he felt about the game. Something stupid xenofanboys can't seem to accept.

Ducky, why u gotta be like that :/ I hate the word fanboy :0 its for people who dont want to accept anything against their game. Of course i accept how people felt about the game, when did i ever post a reply to someone saying "u didnt like it? U suck! U have to like it"? I only told people who havent tried the THIRD episode that they should give it a shot cause i BELIEVE theyll like it - not i KNOW theyll like it (as fanboys would say). Also the only other thing i tell people who dont like it is for those who tried it for a measly 10 or so minutes, which I think is barely enough time to judge an RPG. Again, thats how i see it at least. So point is, xenofanboys who cant seem to accept things - not us (all the NEOgaf xeno lovers).

alexel said:

I got an excellent solution for u alexel, head up to bluelaguna.net, go to their xenosaga section, theyve got allllllllllll the FMVs of Xeno 1 + 2. I highly recommend u give it a shot, and make sure u play 3 cause its an excellent game IMO. Lemme know if u had problems with the site.

7Th said:
Fady K must be a joke character.

Close! Im actually an AI programmed by Monolith Soft to promote Xenosaga! U can access my program at the UMN :D

BluWacky said:

Like i recommended to many people in this thread,bluelaguna.net has all the FMVs availabl for Episode II, so check it out if u wanted to see any of the stuff u missed. Enjoy!

Top Bottom