• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XGS building a UE5 animation studio in Florida

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Before talking shit about other posters you should learn how to read.

Did I question that they were based in Iceland? I was asking for a source about DS or Hellblade using Quixel Megascans or Sony's library. Again, what other games do is irrelevant. Do you have any proof that DS or HB are using Quixel? Or that it used Sony's library?

And about NT not being able to go to Iceland to scan their own things... I've got news for you

New year and you are still making shit up

You guys can shit here as much as you can, too much tension and too many triggered for nothing worth it. Have a nice year and chill up.

anthony2690

Banned
Undead Labs is growing a lot and look to be “leveling up” their game with SoD3 to be a more AAA experience rather than a bit janky. This support studio looks to be focusing on SOD3 and once wrapping that up will probably help other studios with extra animation support.
Thank you for clarification, will be interesting to see how state of decay 3 is, whilst I enjoyed the second game, it is very janky.

Okay, not so much like the ICE teams literally but at least partly similar, even if just focused on animations tuned for UE5. It would be nice to see this spun out to being a larger studio for cross-pollination of animation libraries and techniques that are engine-agnostic for the 1P studios, as I'm sure studios like iD have some fantastic stuff with their own engine that others like The Coalition would like to utilize, and vice-versa.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
I would have thought Florida was an interesting choice, but apparently tech jobs have blown up in Florida the last several years. My brother in law is in tech in Orlando and he was telling me about it. Very cool.

Ozriel

M$FT
Not exactly like the ICE team, but will be incredibly useful for all the other studios regardless. But I do hope XGS has their own ICE team sometime down the road, especially now that they own the id Tech engine as well.

Multiple ways to skin a cat. They don’t really have to emulate Sony’s approach 1:1. Most certainly they’ve already got their own in-house pipeline for innovation and tech sharing across studios.

Utherellus

This might not end well when being reliant on a 3rd party engine with potential Tencent takeover.

Not only on UE4-5, but any studio using Quixel Megascans might end up looking the same. It's like Hellbalde 2 looking like Death Stranding as both are using Iceland assets from Quixel Megascans or Sony's own (movie) library from Iceland.
AAA studios rarely use Quixel asset store. It's used in AA/indie/gamejam/kitbash scenarios.

Watch documentaries, Ninja Theory scanned their own assets in Iceland.

MonarchJT

Banned
This might not end well when being reliant on a 3rd party engine with potential Tencent takeover.

Not only on UE4-5, but any studio using Quixel Megascans might end up looking the same. It's like Hellbalde 2 looking like Death Stranding as both are using Iceland assets from Quixel Megascans or Sony's own (movie) library from Iceland.
AAA studios rarely use Quixel asset store. It's used in AA/indie/gamejam/kitbash scenarios.

Watch documentaries, Ninja Theory scanned their own assets in Iceland.
he doesn't know what he is talking about like 99% of the time ....is drive by fanboy or console war thing

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Sounds like a bit of a stretch to assume that's what this studio represents, some generic "UE5 animation studio."

It's a studio (just a group of people working together is all that means) building animations for State of Decay 3. My guess is the "and" isn't the studio itself, but the person whose linked in this is. As director of THIS studio his job entails talking with other teams to ensure some information sharing is happening.

That's all just pretty normal shit. So a group of animators working on State of Decay 3, and then.. they will share their knowledge w/ MGS.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
You guys can shit here as much as you can, too much tension and too many triggered for nothing worth it. Have a nice year and chill up.

You were asked a basic question and then ended your response with:

Bo_Hazem said:
Go to google images and type "Iceland" and learn something or two.

Come on Bo.. maybe chill out a bit yourself? lol

ZywyPL

Banned
Go to google images and type "Iceland" and learn something or two.

Turns out it's a scam :/

mnb.jpg

Top Bottom